VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ever had a VCD that wouldn't play in your dvd player? I did. And if you have the same problem, or a similar problem, I'm here to help you fix it.

First of all you need TMPGEnc.

Step 1. Load the VCD into your CD-R or DVD-ROM drive.
    Step 2. Open TMPGEnc and go to File>MPEG Tools
    Step 3. Click the tab that say's De-Multiplex.

Step 4. Click Browse and open up your .dat file or .mpg file. (If it is a VCD, make sure the tab in the explorer window is set to 'All Files.')

Step 5. You should now have a window that looks like this. Double click on the one that says video_stream. Doing this will extract the video into a seperate file that you will join together later. After finding a place to save the video file to, click ok and it will extract. It takes anywhere from 10-20 minutes, depending on your PC and the length of the video.
    Step 6. Do the same thing for audio_stream.

Step 7. Now click on the tab that says simple multiplex. Now click browse and find the files that you just extracted. If they have the same file name, the audio will load by itself. If not, then you have to add the audio manually. The choose a place to save it, in the output box. Now click run. This should take 6-10 minutes, depending on your PC and the length of the video.

All done. Now all you have to do is burn the video again with Nero and you are straight.[/img][/url]
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are a number of other ways as well...

Where the disc filesystem can be read by the OS, you can use TMPGEnc (as above) OR VCDGear OR CDXA2MPEG (you can use VCDImager Tools GUI as a GUI for CDXA2MPEG -- http://www.michaeltam.com/vcdimager_tools_gui.html ).

If there are problems reading the disc filesystem off-the-disc, then you should extract a CUE/BIN image of the disc onto your HDD. Then you can use tools such as VCDXRIP, VCDGear or ISOBuster (etc.) on the image to extract the MPEG stream.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a very very badlt damaged cd before, well two actually but the scond was a complete disaster ink every where. But the frist has a more happy ending.

I cleaned the cd like a mental case with solvent to take away the sticky stuff (what it was I don't know) and used toothpaste on the scrathes. Then I use vcdgear to extract the file from the cd to an mpeg using error correction!!!

The new cd is flawless!

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  4. I usually use vcdgear to conert vcd. if not work, I will use ISOBuster. If still not work, I will use some vcd image software to make a image of the cd.

But I have a question, some extracted vcd has some broken frame or bad frame, how can I fix the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  5. did you try this method? if not, try it. i have tried everything from isobuster to vcdgear and got nothing but ticked off, then i just started fooling with TMPEGEnc and got it to work. so try this. but if you have tried this method, all i ca say is to try and reencode the file and see what happens
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by syxx2001
    did you try this method? if not, try it. i have tried everything from isobuster to vcdgear and got nothing but ticked off, then i just started fooling with TMPEGEnc and got it to work. so try this. but if you have tried this method, all i ca say is to try and reencode the file and see what happens
    Nice guide dude. Some folks (me included) find BBMPEG a better multiplexing tool. It seems to play better with Nero (for me anyway).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    am having a problem with my vcd it was scratched and now the movie will freeze or garble up am trying to extract the dat file but it won't go past 53% most of my movies are like that it freezes on the dvd player but when i play it on the pc it does not skip or freeze
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried the method using TMGen to de-multiplex my vcd but I get an error message when I tried to open the .dat file - "Illegal MPEG stream". What does that mean? What should I do then?
    My VCD is not scratched. It would play halfway and then just stop and then pick up again many minutes of the movie later and even then the image was jumping from frame to frame like as if fast-forwarded by 2x or 3x.

Help!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by baker
    I had a very very badlt damaged cd before, well two actually but the scond was a complete disaster ink every where. But the frist has a more happy ending.

I cleaned the cd like a mental case with solvent to take away the sticky stuff (what it was I don't know) and used toothpaste on the scrathes. Then I use vcdgear to extract the file from the cd to an mpeg using error correction!!!

The new cd is flawless!

Baker

I tried to repair my badly scuffed vcd with toothpaste (btw, how long did you buff the vcd? what kind of toothpaste do u use and do u buff in any specific patterns?) but unfortunately, it doesn't work and it "eroded" away some of the silver layer on the top-side cos I had my fingers on it (I think my toothpaste was too strong). Now the vcd don't play at all on my pc. I have tried to extract the .dat file and covert to mpeg file using vcdgear but it causes the software to hang. Too many fixes I think and the prog can't take it. Anyway, would appreciate any advise, help on what to do next.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. i think sometimes we cannot do anything other than trying to buy a similar VCD
    Quote Quote