VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am just curious:
    In the latest issue of What HiFi magazine, there is a raving review of the Philips DVDR880, where they say that, with DVD+RW discs, it is also a timeshifing device.
    Is this right ? I thought that timeshifting - in the real sense - means that you can e.g. stop watching tv and pick it up again where you left it, while the recording goes on. As far as I have understood, with the DVDR 880/890 it is only possible to watch the recording after you have stopped it. That would - in my opinion - mean: Stop watching > Start recording > Stop recording > Watch, which is no real timeshifting. Who is right or wrong ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Timeshifting, AFAIK, is generally accepted as meaning recording a program when it is transmitted for later viewing. So a VCR could do timeshifting. It does not necessarily mean 'pausing broadcast TV' which is what your desription seems to imply.

As to the actual capabilities of this player, I don't know anythinmg about it, sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. If that's true then the review should be right.
    I am dutch, so english is not my native language. But in various articles I read about tv and recording, timeshifting is always explained as being able to pause tv watching and start watching again where you left, while recording proceeds.
    So maybe there are more then one definitions of Timeshifting ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. hi,

i have a dvdr-890 and its not capable of timeshifting,
    As far as i'm aware it is the Panasonic Dvd-ram recorders
    that offer this feature.
    which i think goes something like this: if you are recording and the phone rings you can answer the phone,
    and later continue watching where you left off while at the same time still recording the rest of the program, ie- watch what has all ready been recorded while still recording ?
    try:-
    http://webplus.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=s...owcontent&id=4

for more info
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's ironic that the physical nature of the DVD-RAM, which allows you to watch recorded part of the disc while recording is in progress, makes it virtually unreadable on most DVD players and DVD-ROMs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do some of these players not have built in hard drives that allow this feature. I'm sure I read that somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  7. As of today, no DVD+RW video recorder with built-in HDD is available. I heard that Thomson will be releasing a DVD+RW video recorder with built-in HDD sometime next year. Only time will tell if Thomson will indeed release one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I too have the Philips DVDR890 and I was aware that it should not be able to do timeshifting (in the real sense) when I bought it.
    The reason I asked here was because-like I said- the review in What HiFi said it was a timeshifting device when used with dvd+rw discs. That made me confused.
    I assume the reviewer must have been wrong.
    Thanks for your replies.

Ton
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Gil T Pleasure
    As of today, no DVD+RW video recorder with built-in HDD is available. I heard that Thomson will be releasing a DVD+RW video recorder with built-in HDD sometime next year. Only time will tell if Thomson will indeed release one.
    I knew I had seen one somewhere, this Panasonic DMR-HS2
    is a DVD-R, DVD-RAM recorder with built in 40GB hard drive. (they call it time slip)

http://www.dvdcity.com/dvdplayer/pan-dmrhs2.html

And this Pioneer DVR-99H with a 120GB drive will be available in Japan in December

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/pioneer_japan_set_top_record_11_12_02.htm
    Quote Quote  
  10. There's also the Toshiba RD-X2 DVD-RAM/R with 80GB HDD recorder.

I don't understand why the DVD+RW Alliance members (CE companies) haven't released one yet. Maybe it's because the format is fairly new. Philips did release a DVD+RW recorder referrence design so hopefully the we'll be seeing more DVD+RW recorders next year.

More competition means lower prices, which is good for us consumers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks again, especially to PhilipL.
    PhilipL's answer made it completely clear to me.
    So to sum it up, my DVDR890 can do Timeshifting, like every VCR or DVDRecorder but no Timeslipping.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Isn't Time Slip a trademark of Panasonic?

What ReplayTV and TiVo calls this feature: "Pause Live TV."
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Gil T Pleasure
    Isn't Time Slip a trademark of Panasonic?
    Yes, it is. see the Panasonic link I posted earlier
    Quote Quote  
  15. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote