VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Let me first tell you that I am completely new in this stuff. Until now I never downloaded or worked with Divx, but I would like to start with it.
    Recently I bought a Philips DVDR 890 and somewhere I read a user comment on it, saying amongst others that with that it was possible to play Divx files without the hassle of decoding etc. (or something like that).
    Unfortunately I cannot find that comment anymore and I don't know anymore where I saw it.
    Does someone know if it is really possible and how you have to do that , or what you have to do ?
    I would be very gratefull for any help.

Ton
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can play DivX from the computer onto a TV thru a S-video output on your video card if it has one (or you can get one, you can also watch it on PC if you really wanted to, but very most likely, not). Or you get to convert it to mpeg, *VCD or DVD (if you have a DVD burner), which takes quite a while, and then burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or buy the KiSS DP-450, a Divx compatible DVD player which was supposed to be released in late October.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ...which i purposedly didn't mention for it's a piece of sh... See the other 600 posts on it... I'm really tired to say why it sucks every time someone mentions it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you guys for your replies.
    In the meantime I found the following post in the hardware forum at
    www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk

RE: FAO John sweeny - Recording from PC To DVDr880
    posted by Gurjinder on Saturday, 16th November 2002, 23:37
    Sorry for replying so late.
    All I done was to connect the TV output from my graphics card to in input on the DVDR and include the sound. so all these will conecct to the front of your DVD player. make so that you can see the output from your pc on the DVD player. So you may have to press the monitor button on your philips remote. Also make sure your pc is set to TV mode and is not still displaying Via yyour monitor. unless you have dual tv out. Run your DivX on your pc and press record on your Philips recorder.

Could it be that it WILL work this way ? Or is this Gurjinder wrong ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is a completely different story! Of course any DVD recorder can record a video signal that it recieves. The recorder doesn't care if it's from a PC or a VCR or XBox or any other video source.
    It doesn't mean that it can play DivX encoded video. It will re-encode it to DVD standard, which (as any reencoding using a lossy encoding method like MPEG2) will cause loss in quality.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yea my VCR can play DVD's using that method

I just connect the tv out of my PC to my VCR and connect my VCR to my TV.

I then play a DVD on my PC and voilla !! My VCR is playing DVD's amazing
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks again.
    Sounds like I asked a stupid question. I won't do it again
    (No, just a joke)
    It is all clear to me now. Great and quick help here !
    Litlle by little I learn a lot by joining this forum.

Ton
    Quote Quote  
  9. There is no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid answer.
    Quote Quote