VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I live in the US and consider buying a Philips 985. I've noticed that there are other Philips DVD recorder models such as 890, 880 but those aren't available in the States (to my best knowledge).

Are the 890, 880, etc. newer models with more/better features?

Is it worth to wait until they come to the US?

Does it make sense to buy one of them from Europe, if so, will it work with the US electrical outlets?

Thanks,

-c
    Quote Quote  
  2. capcityboi,

Are the 890, 880, etc. newer models with more/better features?
    Check Models Overview DVD+R/+RW Video Recorders page for more info.

Is it worth to wait until they come to the US?
    I don't know if Philips will release a US version, but Yamaha has announced plans to release a +RW recorder (although it looks like it's just a rebadged Philips model) which is suppose to be available Q1 of next year.

Does it make sense to buy one of them from Europe, if so, will it work with the US electrical outlets?
    There are difference in standards between a US and EU models. (EU models use PAL and operates on 220 volts). Even if you can get a transformer, you'll still have to deal with the PAL format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Before I bought my Panasonic E20 I looked at all the models out there by Pioneer, Phillips and Panasonic, believe me the panasonic is the best bang for your bucks, E20's can still be had for $499 to $599 while the newer E30 is $699, DVD backups look identical to the originals and the time slip record\playback feature is amazing.
    Quote Quote