VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    The following guide was made to help new users who want to capture home video, convert and render to a DVD compatible on most players.

Three main tools used are:
    Virtualdub to capture your movies to an AVI format. (Freeware)
    Tmpgenc to convert to a fully compliant MPEG 2 (DVD standard). (Freeware except for the MPEG 2 plug-in)
    Ulead DVD movie factory to add menu’s and burn your created movie. (Trial)

Capture
    First, connect your device(camcorder, vcr, etc.) and Open VirtualDub.

In Virtualdub, click File, Capture AVI

This will open a capture window. If the screen is flickering BLACK, you probably do not have your device on or connected. If it is on, the capture screen will be BLUE. If you have TV tuner capture card, you may see a TV channel displayed instead of a blue screen. Don’t worry about that for now, we will cover that under Setting the source.

On this screen click FILE and then SET Capture file

When the folder comes up, designate the destination for your capture. Make sure you give A LOT of room as an AVI capture as described will use approx. 1.22 GIG per minute. The size per minute will be displayed in the lower right corner of the screen in Kilobytes.

A 30-minute video is going to take 60+ gig. You can make this smaller by reducing the size from the 720 x 480 I will show or using a compression codec however, for a straight, non-compressed AVI, expect to use a lot of space. You can always experiment (see tips section at the end of this doc).

Now you have set the capture file, you want to set the audio. There is much debate on this but I always set for CD quality audio. Again, if space is an issue, you can set for a lower quality.

To set the Audio Click AUDIO and then Compression
    A box will come up like this

Use the Pulldown under NAME and you can select the audio (in my case CD quality). The settings will change automatically. Click okay and it is set.

Now we will set the Video.
    First Click Video and then Format. You will see this:

If it does not already say so, use the pulldown to select 720 x 480. You can select lower ranges to make the video capture smaller such as 640 x 480, etc. For now we will stay with 720 x 480. Under Pixel depth and compression, make sure it is set for UYVY.

Now click Video and then Source. This is where you would change the input if you are seeing a TV picture (TV Tuner card owners)

The screen will look like this

Select your device (In my case my ATI TV Tuner capture card) and the video source of composite.

Now you can select the video compression (if desired) by clicking on Video and then Compression. You will see the following:

I use “No Recompression:UYVY”. Again, you can try other things as you experiment later but by following the guide, you can be assured of stable results. The rest of Video fields you can also experiment with another time. For now, that is done.

Now go to the screen and click Capture and then Settings.
    You will see:

Make sure you set the following:
    Capture Audio – Checked
    Frame rate – 29.9706
    Drop % limit – 10
    Video Buffer Limit – 10
    Max index entries – 324000
    Audio buffer limit – 0
    Audio buffer size 0
    Lock video stream to audio – checked (VERY IMPORTANT!)

Click okay and these are set. Now click Capture and then Preferences. You will see:

On this screen leave capture driver as is. You can set the default capture file Virtualdub will use at start (but you already set that under FILE). The driver should be the Microsoft driver and the only box checked is OVERLAY. You are now ready to capture. Start your device (camcorder, vcr, etc) and press F6 on your keyboard. The capture begins and you will see the statistics on the right start to update real-time. Below is an example.

To stop capturing just LEFT mouse click.

Please note, if you start capturing again, you will OVERLAY the same file and lose what you first captured. If you wish to capture a second file, click the File and SET capture file again to designate a new file.

You have now captured a RAW file to your hard drive in a completely uncompressed format.

Converting to MPEG 2 DVD format.
    IMPORTANT - YOU MUST MAKE THE CHANGE to CBR of 6000 - see below.
    To Convert to MPEG 2 DVD format with TMPGenc use this Guide with the following change:

1. On the initial WIZARD screen, set the PULL down for CBR 6000 instead of the CBR 3000. Higher bitrate, better quality and still WELL within spec.

Burning the DVD
    To create menu and burn to a DVD with ULEAD DVD movie factory, use this Guide as is.

TIPS:
    SIZE OF AVI FILE
    You can experiment with sizes on capture to make it smaller and fit more on your hard drive. A simple one would be 640 by 480 or use Video, Custom format tabs and select some other 4:3 ratio size. I would not go smaller than that. Another way is to set the sound to less than CD quality.

Also, I have tested using Sonic Video Factory capture and it does work very well with a reduced megs per second.

Ulead
    When you use the trial for ULEAD DVD Movie Factory (or buy the product) make sure you download the latest patch for DVD RW drive support.

ATI Users
    ATI users special note: I went on a quest not long ago because captures ABOVE a certain size caused motion blur. Not just in the AVI file (normal) but in the rendered MPEG. Watching a car roll by on the screen gave a ‘drunk’ sensation. This seems to have been fixed by a new ATI driver, previously not found. It was dated September of this year. As far as I know, it works on ATI AIW 128 Pro with RAGE as well as Radeon’s. After install, I no longer had motion blur after rendering (you will see it in the AVI so don’t be alarmed)

Nero considerations
    Do not use Nero to burn your production. I love Nero but for some reason, results have been inconsistent. These include out of sync audio and non-compatibility to some players. Using the same TMPGenc rendered MPEG’s, Ulead did great.

Using the above method in this guide, I have played the same disk on the following players:

Pioneer DV-414
    APEX 500W
    GE 100EN

I intend to test more machines. Previously, using the TMPG, IFOEDIt to NERO method, I could only play on the APEX.

Thanks to the writers of the TMPGenc conversion and Ulead DVD Movie factory guides. Also thanks to ALL who have helped me get to THIS guide as I required a stable and easy process similar to the VCD process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Useful information...

If you don't want to worry about overwriting your capture files, go up to the Capture menu and select Autoincrement filename after capture. Then everytime you start a new capture, VirtualDub will add a number to your capture file.

CAPTURE.AVI
    CAPTURE1.AVI
    CAPTURE2.AVI

-Matt
    dj matty b
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you !!!!

Fixed ....Rob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Arcorob, this is outstanding!

One question. I see that your space estimates are 2 gig per minute.
    If I am just running analog videotape through a DV camcorder and then to a PC via firewire, do the FAQ settings still make sense from a quality standpoint? The source is mostly old ANALOG sony 8mm camcorder tapes.

So if I just want to burn a 2 hour analog videotape to a DVD, it will take 240 meg if I do not split it up or obviously 120meg each if I do an hour at a time?

I just want to burn them to DVD as is, no editing really necessary. I suppose some kind of "real-time" encoding and recording is a fantasy....

I apologize if this post seems somewhat duplicative, but I did not see your post until today and it is right on target. This is a learning process....

Thanks,
    BJBBJB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BJBBJB

No problem. Follow the guide only set the capture rate lower. Here are the issues with that though.

Mostly the guide was written because many folks had issues with HIGH capture and then eventually STABLE burning . I myself found that other methods often yielded sporadic results or incompatiblity issues.

But I also drop things down sometimes also. It depnds on the quality you are after. Anoter example, you can drop the capture size down to 352 by 240. That will drop a 2 hour capture to about 45 gig . It also winds up being a progressive film instead of interlaced. The issue wil be when you convert and burn. PROCESS IS EXACTLY the same.

But you are taking a 352 by 240 and stretching ..That winds up losing quality even though you have done that at a high AVI rate...Best way to do this, take a sample, say 5 minutes worth

Capture at 720 by 480 and run through my process.
    Do the same porcess but set the capture for 352 by 240

Now burn BOTH files on the dvd (since they are formatted same way ) and see if the difference bothers you. If not, then yes, save room by all means.

2 gig a minute is HUGE and problematic for me also, but I absolutely needed the top quality ..Hope this helps...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Arcorob,

I understand, I think..

I believe I have been confusing capturing raw AVI and DV-AVI! I found a portion of a FAQ and a posting that says a digital camcorder should output DV-AVI at 3.3MBps and take about 28GB for 2 hours. Looks like I can use either Windows XP movie maker or my Showbiz software to do this?

I understand DV-AVI is a lossy compression system (now there is something I DO understand), however considering the quality of the analog audio/video source not sure if it matters.

I mean, can I even get RAW AVI out of a digital camcorder via firewire? Or do I need to have a capture card and then instruct the software to capture uncompressed AVI via an analog input. Or can the capture software work with the firewire connection to the Mini-dv camcorder to get me raw AVI?

I also understand that running raw AVI through an MPEG-2 encoder is going to give you better video then taking analog, converting to DV-AVI via the camcorder, and then taking THAT through an MPEG-2 decoder, correct?

So I guess the last question is, if I am starting with a DV-AVI file vs a raw AVI file, would I use the same settings as your FAQ for Tmpgenc?

BJBBJB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow..Thats alot in one topic !!! Okay , first , do NOT use Windows movie maker unless you dont wnat to me able to concert it for a dvd.

The topic is too big to go into here but know that DV will send (and be captured ) at higher than 3+ meg per sec. Depends on :
    Capture Codec
    method, etc

Doesnt matter that you have analog going to digital...In your case it just knows it as digital.

I do analog capture and you see I am at 2 gig + per minute.

Let me advise, EXPERIMENT.

Try what I said with Virtualdub. But instead of clicking FORMAT (to set the 720 by 480) select VIDEO then CUSTOM format.

Set it for 352 by 240. Then capture. It will be a MUCH smaller file. Follow the rest of the process (TMPG, ULEAD, etc) exactly as referenced and burn a disk. See how it looks and plays.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Some notes:

Your setting works for NTSC only. Most of the coutries in the world use the PAL system so in PAL you should select the vertical resolution 576 instead. The framerate in PAL is 25 fps.

Some capture cards (like mine ATI AIW Radeon) gives wrong aspect ratio with 720 pixels width at AVI capture. I always capture at 704*576 resolution. 704x576 is a valid DVD resolution.

Regarding audio: Select 48 kHz sampling frequency to be DVD compatible. I'm not sure if 48 kHz is possible in Virtualdub, I use AVI_IO at capture. If you capture with 44.1 kHz you must convert to 48 kHz before authoring DVD. This converion can be done in TMPGEnc but then I recommend using an external sampling rate convertor like ssrc.exe for best quality.

Regarding digital camcorders, capture via firewire: The compression is already done in the camera so you need a DV-codec to decode the file. The capture just copies the data in the same format as it is on the tape, there's nothing you can do to decrease the compression artifacts. In DV you'll need around 13 GB for one hour.

Regarding codecs at analogue capture: With huffyuv codec you can capture with good quality 704x576 and get about 2 hours on a 80 GB hard drive. With mjpeg at a high quality setting you can fit even more without loosing too much quality.
    Ronny
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More codecs: You can go with the MainConcept DV codec on an analog Hauppauge at the highest DV resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sadly, your guide proves useless since in the real world VirtuaDub cannot capture digital video from a camcorder and most other devices (Canopus ADVC-100, Pinaccle DV-500 etc.).
    To recap for the nth time... VirtualDub is vaporware that doesn't work with real AVI files or real video hardware in the real world. VirtualDub cannot open Ulead Media Studio Pro AVI files. VirtualDub cannot open Adobe Premier AVI files. VirtualDub cannot open VEGAS Video AVI files.
    VirtualDub will give you an error message if you try to use VirtualDub to capture from a digital camcorder or any of the digital video capture devices typically used in the real world.
    VirtualDub gives this error message because it uses VFW drivers but all modern digital video capture devices use WMD drivers. Sadly, the DLL wrappers which purport to correct this problem don't work.
    Bottom line?
    VirtualDub remains vaporware, useless in the real world. It cannot open any AVI file I have been able to create, or anyone I know has been able to create. VirtualDub cannot capture with any digital video input device I have, or that anyone I know uses.
    Any video capture guide which begins with "Use VirtualDub" might as well start with the advice "Fly to the moon by flapping your arms." Both pieces of advice are impossible and cannot be accomplished.
    Quote Quote  
  11. And yet curiously enough, thousands of people (apparently) mindlessly use VirtualDub every day to capture non-existent video, use if for non-linear video editing, etc....

VirtualDub works well with most of the Brooktree based video capture cards (which are the majority of the cheaper ones). Since it is free, there is no harm in giving it a try.

VirtualDub is also excellent for non-linear video editing work and I personally don't have any problems opening up AVI files with it.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Prove it.
    List those alleged "thousand of people" who supposedly use VirtualDub successfully.
    Let's see the hard evidence.
    FACT: VirtualDub will not open AVI files produced by VEGAS Video.
    FACT: VirtualDub will not open AVI files produced by Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.0 or Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.5.
    FACT: VirtualDub will nto open AVI files produced by Adobe Premiere 6.0. VirtualDub will not open AVI files produced by Adoeb Premier 6.5.
    FACT: VirtualDub gives an error message when you try to use it to capture from the Canopus ADVC-100. It will not capture from this device.
    FACT: VirtualDub gives an error message when you try to use it to capture from the Inpaccle DV-500. It will not capture from this device.
    These remain documented facts, despite all efforts to argue these facts out of existence.
    All these problems are not caused by "user error." They are caused by the author of VirtualDub, who wrote the software to work with the older Video For Windows drivers, and by Microsoft, which (in typically arrogant fashion) cahnged over wholesale to the newer Windows Media Driver protocol, thereby making obsolete software which depended on the older VFX drivers.
    We can do a lot of things when discussing VirtualDub, but one thing no one can credibly do is lay the blame for this digital video Catch-22 at the doorstep of the user. The blame lies squarely with Microsoft (mainly) and with the author of VirtualDub (secondarily, inasmuch as he never upgraded his software so that it works with real AVI files and real video capture hardware in the real world).
    VirtualDub remains vaporware.
    It just doesn't work with real AVI flles and real video captures devices used by real people in the real world, and not all the jawboning in creation will change that hard cold fact.
    Quote Quote  
  13. VirtualDub doesn't open DV AVI files or capture DV... It doesn't claim to either I believe.

As for "Prove it". Do a search for "VirtualDub" on the forums. Of course, they're all lying and it's a global conspiracy to make a piece of "vapourware" look real. And of course, acrorob here just made up this guide without actually testing it either.

In fact, I used VirtualDub to capture some video just the other day. I suppose that I'm deluding myself there as well. Can't imagine how the video actually ended up on my computer but it mustn't have been VirtualDub.

As for "real people", a lot of "real people" own "real TV capture cards", which work "real fine" with VirtualDub. Of course, YOU don't consider that Brooktree based cards are "real devices" in the "real world" because it would mean that you are wrong...

As for VirtualDub not opening "AVI" files -- I use Adobe Preimere quite a bit and it seems to open MY AVI files I generate just fine (I don't use DV). Of course, EVERYONE here ONLY uses DV don't they? Forget about analogue captures or MJPEG or Huffy or any other AVI codec that works fine with VirtualDub. They all don't exist either in the "real world".

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  14. The Xed rant again. I wonder what else you do on this forum else than whine about virtualdub. It's great, and I use it daily, like thousand of other people. Never had a single problem with it. I'll say it again... I hope you stop whining, or that a moderator will eventually fix this problem, as it stands, you're more of an annoyance than anything else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't Want to Add to the chant here BUT here is the bottom line

For ANALOG captures, using standard market cards (LIKE ATI , etc) , I have not found a better or more stable capture than VIRTUALDUB. And if you want to know WHAT I have tried , it ranges from the cheapest free copy of ULEAD to ADOBE premier (900 retail). None have been as easy or as consistant.

To call Virtualdub vaporware is biased and utter nonsense. Not EVERYONE has your SEARS ACME DIGITAL CAM WITH WHIZBANG VIDEO CAPTURE.

Some of us DO use analog, need the HIGHEST quality we can eek out, have a budget, have a business and are ADDING to the knowledge base, not BASHING products.

I am currently working with ULEAD and ATI on several issues. I have worked directly with Intel and several other majors when need be (when I say directly I mean a bit above the casual tech support call...I am talking test of beta's for them ) so I don't play favorites.

What I do play is trying to find the best way from A to Z in a clean manner. Why I went with Sonic Video Factory. Best all around interface for video editting. Most feature packed for the price. I have premier. I have MGI, I have Ulead, so it is not like I don't give things a try.

Bottom line, less bash more knowledge share sound good to me.

Rob A.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, fixed the guide to reflect RAW capture rate is 1.22 GIG per minute , not 2.0....Seem VDUB and I were disagreeing on size (it was right , I was blind...LOL)

Heres a kciker. If I capture 35 GIG of video, import to Sonic video factory, do my gyrations and then want to export as an AVI, the AVI Sonic generates is 75 GIG !!! Even bigger. Need to figure that one out. Should be same I thought BUT bottom line is IT WORKS. Feed to TMPG and that WORKS. BURN DVD and THAT WORKS.

That is my bottom line. Stability, clarity, universal use.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Great guide but couldn't I use Ulead MovieFactory or Nero VisionExpress to do all this?
    Quote Quote  
  18. When i click on " capture avi " in virtualdub i get a mesage : " no capture driver available ". How do i get a driver and which one?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your post is proof that arcorob's guide is not useful for most people on this forum.
    Despite the systematically false claims by arcorob and the others on this thread, you got an error message because VirtualDub does not work with the vast majority of digital or analog video capture cards.
    VirtualDub doesn't capture with your card because VirtualDub doesn't work with almost all modern capture cards or modern video capture devices. I won't go into details, but this results from the fact that today's video capture devices use drivers which VirtualDub doesn't recognize.
    Your post offers us yet further proof that at best arcorob and the others who claim VirtualDub works with real video capture cards are self-deluded, and at worst they are deliberately and continually prevaricating.
    Your alternative?
    If you really absolutely want to use VirtualDub, you'll find yourself forced to buy a massively overpriced all-in-one-type video card with analog video input (something like a Radeon card).
    Unfortunately, people serious about their video capture usually stay away from these all-in-one video cards with video capture because
    [1] these-all-in-one cards are drastically overpriced for what they do -- they typically cost between $250 and $500. Compare to the cost of a Pinnacle DV-500 which comes complete with the full latest version of Adobe Premiere and boasts vastly superior video capture quality ($500 for everything including the very best video editing software money can buy); or compare with the price of the Canopus ADVC-100 -- again, immensely superior video capture quality as compared to your typical all-in-one video card ($250 -- and most Firewire cards come with free Ulead Media Studio Pro 6.X, another superb piece of video editing software).
    [2] All-in-one video cards, being jacks of all trades, do a mediocre job of capturing video. Some people call the capture of a Radeon or Personal Cinema card "fuzzy," others call it "smudged," others describe it as "muddy." If you want serious high-quality video capture, stick with a dedicated video capture device, not some cheesy all-in-one video card with beta drivers that don't quite work.
    Remember that the DVDs or VCDs you burn will _only_ look as good as your captured video looks. Once you sacrifice the quality of your captured video, you're behind the 8-ball, and there's no real way to get back the lost quality. Arcorob and others who tout VirtualDub won't tell you this, but I'm telling you now -- in order to get VirtualDub towork, you must use an all-in-one video card whose video capture quality is mediocre at best. (And that's generous.)
    Check out the various all-in-one video cards reported to work with VirtualDub -- in all too many cases, you'll find that users report the capture quality as "inferior," "fuzzy," "lacking in detail," "unstable," "crummy picture quality," and so on. A lot of folks on this forum start out with all-in-one video cards, then abandon 'em for dedicated video capture devices like the Canopus or the Pinnacle.
    It's just common sense. If you want to capture video that looks good, you must use a dedicated video capture device -- and none of these work with VirtualDub. Not camcorders, not the Caopus ADVC-100, not the PInnacle DV-500, and certainly none of the higher-end dedicated devices which typically use breakout boxes.
    [3] All-in-one video cards like the Radeon with video capture typically get rushed to market to beat the competition, and as a result the drivers for these things are all too often junk. Beta code full of bugs. I went through living hell with an ATI all-in-one card with video capture and it never worked correctly, regardless of how many times I called tech support or how many new updated drivers I downloaded from the ATI website. In the end I abaondoned the ATI all-ijn-one video capture card for a real piece of video hardware dedicated to video capture. All-in-one video cards with video capture are typically unstable, flaky, with serious driver problems -- "serious" meaning a tendency to crash your computer or blow up with a blue screen of death during capture.
    Check out the posts on dedicated video capture devices which only do one thing, but do it very very well -- devices like the Canopus ADVC-100 or the Pinnacle DV-500. You'll find that these dedicated video capture devices do not have the installation problems or instability problems or flaky behavior or low-quality video editing software associated with all-in-one video cards like the Radeon or the Personal Cinema. AS a matter of economic necessary, all-in-one video cards with capture are typically low-video-quality kludges, in which video capture has been added as an afterthought and supported with buggy beta driver code and 3rd-rate video editing software without the capabilities you really need.
    [4] The video editing software that comes with these all-in-one capture cards is bottom of the barrel stuff, very nearly unusable in most cases. I tried to use MGI VideoWave and, like most folks, quickly found it be a thoroughly user-hostile and badly designed piece of video editing software. By contrast, Ulead MSP Pro 6.5 or Adobe Premiere 6.X are serious and beautifully functional pieces of video editing softwae. These pieces of video editing software are rock-solid, extremely stable, and they do what they do extremely well. Very often when you pay for a serious video capture device, you'll get either Ulead MSP Pro 6.X or Adobe Premiere 6.X with it for free. So many people on so many subtopics in this forum have complained about the substandard video editing software included with all-in-one video cards that it qualifies as a serious problem.
    Remember -- video editing software isn't a trivial issue! Once you have captured video, you will almost always want to edit it in some way. That makes the quality of video editing software that comes with your capture card a matter of real importance, and all-in-one video cards once again fall down badly on this score.
    Once again, the way to solve these problems is to stay away from buggy unstable all-in-one video cards with poor capture quality and mal-designed third-rate video editing software. Instead, stick with a dedicated video capture card which installs with no bugs (Canopus ADVC-100 offers a superb example) and doesn't blow up with a blue screen of death every other time you use it.
    Of course, once you go that route, VirtualDub won't work.
    ---
    Sadly, guides like arcorob's prove to us once again that misinformation runs rampant throughout internet chat rooms. When faced with documented facts, all too many people in chat rooms resort to name-calling and outright lies. This is par for the course in internet discussion forums. People post misinformation, then when called on it, resort to name-calling and character assassination instead of admitting they were wrong and correcting their highly visible errors.
    A reasonable person would change his alleged "guide" to reflect the fact that most people won't be able to use VirtualDub to get a video capture. Instead, arcorob chooses to hurl insults at me for pointing out that his guide just doesn't work for most people on this forum.
    Ask yourself -- suppose someone who claimed car repair expertise wrote a "guide to car repair" explaining that the way to fix your car's drive train is to first remove the planetary gears in your model T. And suppose further that someone like myself pointed out that this "guide" only applies to Model Ts, and doesn't work with most cars...now, further ask yourself -- when the author of this alleged "guide to car repair" then screamed insults at the person who pointed out that most folks do not own Model Ts, rather than fixing the rampant misiformation in his uniformed and flatly incorrect "guide to car repair," would you consider the author of the alleged "guide to car repair" a reasonable person?
    Well, guess what?
    That's arcorob for you -- and, sadly, all too many of the other people on this forum who spend their lives spreading misinformation and then calling names at anyone who points out it's misinformation.
    VirtualDub is vaporware. It does not work with real video hardware in the real world. Forget it.
    If you want proof that VirtualDub doesn't work and cannot be made to work, try to get arcorob to make VirtualDub work with your video capture device. He can't do it. What arcorob can do and what he will do is call you names, explain how [fill in the infantile insult -- stupid / ignorant / mentally ill / psychopathic / evil] you are and tell you it's your fault VirtualDub doesn't work on your machine becuase you need to [fill in another infantile insult - learn how to use a computer / learn how to use VirtualDub / take a make-up IQ test / stop abusing drugs, or whatever other character assassination arcorob can dream up that day].
    Guess what?
    It's not your fault.
    The fault lies with VirtualDub.
    VirtualDub doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  20. If anyone has every won an argument by simply ranting, xed comes close to it...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most people don't have a high end capture card. That is the nature of it when most people do it as a HOBBY. Most people would in fact have a TV capture card or some sort of video in that came with their video card. There are plenty of other capture cards in the "real world" apart from the ones that you recommend. Sure, they may have better quality. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. But some people have better things to spend their money on.

Vast majority of analogue capture cards???

I would further that VirtualDub works with the vast majority of analogue capture cards out there, in the real world. There is no hidden consipirarcy xed. It is just simple fact that most people who use VirtualDub have no problems with it. Your ranting and moaning to the contrary doesn't really change anything.

VirtualDub is FAR from vapourware as it serves it function for many many people. For god's sake, just search the forum and find the numerous uses people have for VirtualDub. Calling it vapourware is simply ridiculous. It't like me saying that the Mac is "vapourware" because I can't use any of my programs on it.

As for infantile name calling, I believe you have jumped the gun. Don't think anyone has called you a silly name in this thread yet. The only conclusion I can make from that is that you are trying to turn this into some sort of flame war so you can justify your position or that you are plain paranoid.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  21. [quote="xed"] VirtualDub doesn't capture with your card [quote] I have no card!
    Quote Quote  
  22. You will need some sort of video capture device to capture video bighousie...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  23. Yeah, but arcorob doesn't speak about that in his tutorial. All he says you need : VirtualDub, TMPGEnc, Ulead, a device (camera, vcr) i have.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I think that it is an understandable oversight... He doesn't say you need a keyboard and mouse either.

But yes, you will actually need to have some sort of video capture device to capture video. A lot of newer video cards come with a video in and if you want to go for something inexpensive, TV capture cards can work quite well... If you are interested, I suggest you do some research first as some products are better (and worse) than others.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm so sorry , but needing a mouse is a little bit different from needing a capture card, for sure when you are not familiar with capturing! But thanks anyway for the advice!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VAPORWARE?

what is xed talking about?

back in June xed was calling Virtualdub vaporware. Check it out:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122922&highlight=

Everyone jumped on him back then too. How funny.

If VirtualDub was really vaporware, wouldn't it have disappeared during the last 6 months?
    dj matty b
    Quote Quote  
  27. people people!

a) don't capture using uncompressed AVI.. not only does it take up a huge amount of space, but it is not needed at all. instead use the huffyuv codec, which will give you the exact (really, the EXACT) same quality, since it is a lossless compresssion codec, and will give you MUCH MUCH smaller files. (note: you should get the huffyuv version that has the yuv fix. There wer esome issues when directx 8 came out with capturing with huffyuv. something to do with the colour depth when capturing in the yuv colour space. the version with the yuv fix fixes that problem right up.)

b) all this whining abotu virtualdub not being able to read DV AVIs.. I would assume it won't read the DV AVIs due to licsening issues (same reason it can't read MPEG-2 directly). It is freeware, and Avery Lee (the author) is not makign a cent off of it. However, this problem can easily be solved by just using a simple frame server such as avisynth or the like, and just load that into virtualdub... easy enough. and yes, virtualdub is the ULTIMATE video encoder. (and by the way, you can find versions of virtualdub that can load MPEG-2 directly and maybe versions that can load DV AVIs, but these are unofficial modified versions.. long live open source!)
    Quote Quote  
  28. I beg to differ. Virtualdub AND TMPEG are the ultimate video encoders. :P
    Quote Quote  
  29. I am getting exceptionally good results capturing DVD from my Sony TRV33 camcorder using dvd movie factory 2. I am using CBR 8000 kbps DVD pal. one 60 minue DV tapes will create a VIDEO_TS folder just enough to fit onto one DVD. Is virtual dub or TMPGENC or anything else come to think of that improve the quality over Uleads capture programs ?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Is there a guide which explians (using free tools) how to capture video
    from a digital camcorder thru a firewire card and write onto a DVD?

Appreciate any inputs.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote