VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can a standalone DVD Recorder (such as Panasonic HS2) be connected to a PC/MAC via firewire and be used as an external DVD Writer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Snick,

Yes they can, i have the Philips dvdr890 and it can connect via firewire. Not too sure if all windows operating systems work. I have XP and it does.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What software are you using to do that Martin? Thanks...
    --Drew
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi

I just read from a seller on ebay that the PHILIPS DVDR-985 is only working with camcoders (firewire)

dose anyone know if this is true?
    if that is true you canīt use it as an external dvdr to the computer. why whould they do that?

/Ledyr
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use Ulead Videostudio 6 and export via the DV Recording option.

Regards

Wolfy
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you mean to burn data or DVD's that you have authored on the computer, the answer is no....but if you mean will they handle a DV input source over firewire then the answer is most of them....Check specs before you buy one....(rule of thumb is the cheaper versions don't have firewire in).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the answers!!!
    I donīt understand why they donīt make the DVD recorders so they can be a extrenal "regular" DVDrecorder. I mean that canīt be hard for them? Just some firmware programing?!?! I am sure that if a brand would make it posible, it would be werry popular...
    Quote Quote  
  8. why should they do that all these companies the sell DVD Recorder also sell DVD burners and that's what they want you to do, buy a DVD recorder and also a burner, more money out of your pocket and more in theirs, I know I am doing that exact thing got a panasonic DVD recorder and just ordered an HP DVD Burner for the PC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. THXkid:
    I think you are both right and wrong.
    Ofcurse they are making more money out of ous. But now you bought one HP and one Pioneer. If now Philips whould do as I said they whould get "both" my mony for one product.

/HEnrik
    Quote Quote  
  10. One thing to note is that FireWire/i.Link is a two-way street (in and out). Some recorders, like the Pioneer 7000, have FireWire in and out. But most only have FireWire out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I would think it's doable for all DVD recorder with Firewire input.
    The reason:
    1) I use Studio DV 8 software to edit and output video back to the DV camcorder. Often, I have to put the camcorder in VCR mode, put in a blank tape, hit RECORD, then I have to hit PLAY on Studio DV software to make it play the movie , outputting to "tape" (which is via the Firewire port)
    2) the DVD recorder simply does not know where the video came from (PC or camcorder), so it would just record as it's supposed to.
    I am waiting for my HS2 to try it.
    ktnwin - PATIENCE
    Quote Quote