VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have not found this same error in any of the posts...
    at some point while encoding with tmpg 12i, a message box
    comes up saying "out of memory".
    This is a puzzlement, since i have 512mb of ram, and the
    temp file in environmental options is set to a drive that has plenty of space. This usually occurs somewhere in the
    middle of encoding the movie, and is pissing the hell out of me. any ideas out there?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guest
    You probably have your windows virtual memory set to user specified amounts.... let windows handle virtual memory and you should be ok (Start>Settings>Control Panel>System (performance tab)
    Quote Quote  
  3. first off i need to make a correction - the tmpg message is "not enough memory"...

and thanx to pj_canada, you know, you may be right. since i have so much ram, i set
    the vmem min/max to 5MB. i will expand it and post back the results.
    Quote Quote  
  4. vmem min/max 5MB ?? Wowwww that slows down your pc.
    "Rule" is set your vram at 2.5x your real RAM. I have 256MB real ram, so my vram is set to min/max 640MB. A lot I know but what's 640MB on a harddisk of 40GB costing $200.
    Quote Quote  
  5. heh heh.. 5 meg.. id run out of memory just looking at my desktop! i also set mine to 640, defragged the pagefile.sys, and ran norton speed disk, placing the pagefile at the beginning of the drive. talk about improvement!
    Quote Quote  
  6. y'all was dead-on. I changed my swapfile to 256MB, which is as much space as i could afford on my C drive, and that solved the 'not enough memory' problem. good work, dudes.

out of curiosity, i set up system monitor to watch memory usage, im on w98 btw, and during tmpg encoding, the memory counter goes through the roof! did i mention i have 512MB of ram! wtf is up with weak ass w98!? i noticed that while encoding in w2k, the memory usage was like maybe 50MB or so. think i'll stick to encoding in w2k. thanx again to all samaritans.
    Quote Quote