VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. To Fozzee Only,

1. CHANGE BIOS SETTINGS:
    Before you reinstall, go into your BIOs and set your OS setting to "non-plug-in-play." This setting is much more stable even for plug-in-play OSes.

2. FORMAT:
    Next, make a startup disk (just in case). Back up your files to CDR. Partitition your HD if necessary. Format HD. Reinstall OS.

3. ORIGINAL DRIVERS, NEW ONES:
    Then, install drivers with your motherboard CD (sometimes original drivers are more stable). If that causes sound distortions, download & install drivers with latest ones from VIAArena.com or from your motherboard company.

4. NEW SANTA CRUZ SOUND CARD:
    If that still causes sound distortions, you can buy a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card which is a very nice sounding cards without the problems associated with Creative sound cards. This should fix your problem as it did to mine (KT333 board).

*** I wound't mess with IRQs (not a permanent solution and causes more problems with other devices); it's best to let the OS locate available IRQs during a clean installation.
    Quote Quote  
  2. this does nothing, including turtle beach santa cruz, I bought that card to replace my Soundblaster it didn't help
    Quote Quote  
  3. thebach,

I was addressing specifically to Fozzee. He stated he owned a KT333 board. I also own a KT333 board and I was able to resolve my sound issues by buying a new Santa Cruz sound card. However, I've been curious if I could have solved my problem with a clean reinstallation.

As paulgab and blinky have stated (and I have read in other forums), some VIA chipsets had incompatible designs. These incompatibilities were fixed with the KT266A chipsets and onwards (including the KT333 and KT400 chipsets).

The Creative Live sound card problems are a related but whole other issue (the debate continues as to whether Creative designed their cards under the proper PCI 2.1 specs; and regardless, the Creative remains to be a PCI bus hog).

What VIA board do you own that has problems? If it's a pre-KT266A, then you probably need a new motherboard.

It's important to be specific when asking about a problem or trying to help one in need so that infomation doesn't get misinterpreted (e.g., stating all "VIA motherboards are bad" when in fact the KT333 boards were rated higher than comparable nForce motherboards in terms of stability and performance). I guess I should have addressed all my replies starting with "Fozzee."
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have an asus A7V266-E and it has a KT266A chipset and I'm still screwed, I've tried everything
    Quote Quote  
  5. thebach,

I used to have a flaky KT266A board too but I think it was because I dripped some Artic Silver on some of the motherboard connections. Or perhaps because of the memory brand (I used Corsair).

Maybe you can try new memory. I recommend Mushkin.

My current KT333 is very stable with Mushkin memory. In fact, I've built 2 KT333 systems and they both work great.

Via mentioned that they used a new Southbridge in some KT333 and all KT400s. These fixed all the previous problems. I think the KT266As may have unresolved design issues.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How bout the NVIDIA nFORCE chipset? I honestly don't have much faith in new ram helping, if I try and it doesn't work I'd be stuck with the ram most likely
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Skip the NForce chipset and get the newer NForce2 chipset. They changed a lot and the dual memory prefetch algarythm has been greatly improved giving much better results.

This chipset is also very stable.

Lannie

PS I've never had a unstable VIA system yet. KT133a, 266A and KT333. All fine. Older SIS is horrible beyond belief but the newer SIS chipset have good stability now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @bbb: I'll say it once last. Don't you think all of us haven't been down that road before? You think we need to get told how to try simple thing like that? Any newbie knows he should try BIOS updates, new (certified) drivers, BIOS safe config, no OC, PCI slot swapping, reinstall and see if that fixes it... The only thing that could - sort of- help was your #4, but it's kind of fixing something else on the side. The VIA chipset is still there, and it still doesn't like capture cards (and promise controllers).

About the new VIA chipsets though, no idea. I'm not buying VIA again, so I won't even have a chance to find out!

Creative cards work very good with SiS chipsets.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have also got a ECS K75SA (SIS) but one of the USB sockets is buggered.
    Besides it only runs 266FSB. I bought the Kt3 Ultra cheap.
    Apart from this capture problem everything runs great.

Anyone in the UK seen a Nforce2 board cheap ?

Fozzee
    Quote Quote  
  10. So is it pretty definite I need a new motherboard? A good one with NForce2 chipset is about 150 bucks, I was thinking of the Asus A7N8X
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Fozzee
    I have also got a ECS K75SA (SIS) but one of the USB sockets is buggered.
    Besides it only runs 266FSB. I bought the Kt3 Ultra cheap.
    Apart from this capture problem everything runs great.

Anyone in the UK seen a Nforce2 board cheap ?

Fozzee
    the K7S5A BIOS is capable of runing @
    FSB's

you just need the right sotfware to access the hidden settings

try SpeedFan
    also, theres a program to set the CMOS with your desired FSB, stays that way even in DOS enviroment til you clear CMOS
    its called CHFSB

have a look around

but.........nForce2 RuLeS!!!
    AMD 64 X2 6000+ @3,000 Mhz (stock) | MSI K9N Ultra | Corsair Value/Kingston 6,144MB DDR 667 | 8800GT stock | 3710GB of storage | Powered by Mandriva 2009.1

Jabber: DaveQB@jabber.org.au
    2.6.29.3-desktop-1mnb
    Quote Quote  
  12. For OCing there is chfsb and this dip switch mod http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/elite/k7s5amod/k7s5amodp1.htm (mind you I got no time for this) and also, a couple places for fixes:
    http://www.geocities.com/mrathlon2000/ and http://pub65.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
    Hope that helps. (I had to use the "ZP" or "470 ohm fix" on a couple of mine, if it sees magically three sticks of DDR when there are only 2 sockets for them... LOL)
    Quote Quote  
  13. crahak,

I wasn't addressing you in any of my posts. You don't even know which VIA board you own, obviously not a recent one if it comes with a 686 SouthBridge.

I was speaking to Fozzee regarding a logical order of testing out his KT333 onboard sound (which I also own) with a fresh installation. Also, if you had read more carefully, I didn't speak of updating a new BIOs, I spoke of making sure Fozzee's BIOs OS setting was set to "non-plug-in-play" to ensure his IRQ settings don't get changed around by the OS on reboot. Also, where have I told Fozzee to change PCI card slots? Please don't make up stuff as it makes you look like a newbie and a poor reader.

For you, crahak, go ahead and claim to solve your problems by immediately buying new hardware without any attempt at motherboard model identification and logical troubleshooting. It will certainly lead to your short term hope and eventual economic ruin. However, I doubt others will be encouraged by your unhelpful newbie remarks, especially if you don't even own the same hardware and make blanket statements without regard to model or manufacturer. If you have forgotten, on this thread, many people have stated owning highly stable and functional VIA KT333 motherboards. In fact, Fozzee states that his KT333 motherboard is working great with only the sound issue which I think can be easily and more economically solved than buying a new motherboard.

In any case, I suspect that you, crahak, will be in store for more uncalled for hardware changes and more wasted purchases as computers can be destabilized by many factors including unstable RAM, dying harddrives, poor PCI card quality control, non-standardized PCI card design, poor motherboard quality control, buggy beta drivers, OS and drivers corruption. If you sole solution is to immediately replace the motherboard each time without trying other possible solutions in a logical manner, good luck on winning the lotto to get you out of bankruptcy.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    R F L M A O

Nice one
    Quote Quote  
  15. I know you weren't adressing to me, however, mostr your suggestions are useless or so simple that anyone ough to have tried them already. I didn't say explicitly that you told him to swap PCI slots, I just said it's the tipical thing one tries and usually gets told along those "recommandations" of yours. By recommending this, you're making yourself look like a newbie, not me.

I am not solving problems by buying new hardware at first (doh, and you think I don't know which one I own, wow, it's such rocket science, can you teach me how to read it pleeaaaaasse? you're my god you know?) I'm just saying when the problem is obvious and well documented, I get rid of the problematic (VIA) parts and I don't mess around with it, my time (that you spend uselessly with a crap board) is more valuable than a new mobo. I'm not broke either. No one said EVERY machine is plagued with ALL the bugs, I said that there are MANY other VIA-related bugs, here again, you're the bad reader. He has more problems than the average guy most likely because of the cards he has are the type that VIA's don't match with very well (yet those cards work great usually with non-VIA boards, and the cards aren't usually to blame...) At 50$ or so for a better SiS based board, if you can't afford that, get yourself a job.

As I said earlier, it's the only thing I've done, and all problems gone, voila. There are no uncalled for hardware changes, it's just getting rid of crap. I'd buy a all intel system before any VIA ever again. I don't have bad RAM or HD or anything. Like I said again (and you ignore) on many forums and everywhere, there are thousands of users having these problems, and they are documented (only you "god" doesn't know em..)

We don't need to get told things like this, it seems that you're the ultimate knowledge in how to fix a computer (yet again, the problem is obvious and well documented) Those nice suggestions of yours would be something ok for newbies who know nothing about computers probably, but he has tried all these things already, as well as thousands of other persons. But you must be right and everyone else wrong again. It just can't be VIA after all... After all, you're god himself and know it all. You just know it's not to obvious VIA chipset plague well known by anyone else (cause we're all wrong and you're right again) Also, the author of the PCI latency fix is wasting time, for it must be bad drivers, or you only had to reinstall windows... All those chipset problems and everything, problems people are having, they're just needed a little tweak. I wish you had told us all before, really. So you just keep wasting your time, and I'll keep not buying VIA. How can I change my nick to bbb_is_my_god?...

Oh, also, when my SiS based boards were seeing exrta DDR sticks, instead of soldering a resistor on em (ZP fix), maybe I should have posted here and pray for you to tell me to reformat or what not. Note, no new mobos or any hardware involved... All in your head.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It sure looks like I need a new board, I've tried everything, and all I have to show for it is CRACKLE POP Sounds
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well today I went and bought the .....

HERCULES FORTISSIMO III 7.1

No CRACKLES No POPS AWESOME sound.

I'm a very happy man.

Fozzee

FAO CRAHAK Motherboards are more expensive in the UK.
    My next upgrade will be a Nforce2 board. Not for a few months tho. My local supplier sells it for 150!! That's too much for me for now. That board would have been the only worthwhile upgrade at this time.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I switched soundcards and it didn't make a difference
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well, price varies depending what board you're looking at too... Creative cards don't work too well with VIA, so steering away from creative solves the issues for now
    Quote Quote  
  20. Right here is a good example of information which could mean several different things.

Fozzee solved his problem with a different soundcard. That certainly indicates his problem was NOT solely caused by the VIA board, though perhaps it could have been an interaction between the Creative card and the VIA board. Which company would be at fault here is a tossup, I would tend to point the finger at Creative. Many will use this exact example as "proof" of problems with VIA boards.

As far as pointing out the obvious, in 14 years I am now up to 8 paid Service Calls where I have TURNED THE PC ON and solved the "problem".
    I never assume anything, what is obvious to one person may not be obvious to the person in question. To underline this point, one possible factor I mentioned was to turn off the OverClocking, an "obvious" possible source of distortion. I do not know if this was tried or not.

As far as my views on VIA, I do not base my opinions on one, five, or even ten boards but dozens if not hundreds. I have seen unusable crap from virtually every manufacturer, I have seen numerous cases of two perfectly good items of hardware that just won't work together. Note that commonly, by the time large numbers of problem reports are gathered the design has already been changed and the problem solved.

Consider also the many other factors which may play a part. VIA is a popular supplier of AMD boards, and AMD chips are often overclocked. Wonder how many reports of "problems" with VIA boards are actually the result of OverClocking, wherein there is a financial incentive NOT to report the OC for warranty purposes? How many of these boards are user-installed versus factory done?

As far as updating the BIOS and driver software, I do it almost every day. There are HUGE numbers of people out there who do NOT know this may be necessary and/or do not know how to do it. Unless someone specifically states that they have done so (which was not at first done in this case), it would be STUPID to not suggest that this be tried.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nelson

I tried everything imaginable to solve this problem (including turning off the OC).
    This was my last resort.

I hope when I do a clean install later it's still working LOL

Fozzee
    Quote Quote  
  22. Fozzee,

Nice to hear that you fixed your sound distortions with a sound card.

-------

crahak,

1. You stated: "Any newbie knows he should try BIOS updates ... no OC, PCI slot swapping ... and see if that fixes it... The only thing that could - sort of- help was your #4"

Your post DID clearly imply that I advised people to try BIOS updates, turn off overclocking, swap PCI slots where you ended your statement with "that the only thing that could ... help was your #4." Please learn to write what you mean or quit back peddling out of your lies. I did not advise BIOS updates, nor turning off overclocking, nor swapping PCI
    slots which you conveniently concocted for your less than helpful post. Also, I was directly addressing Fozzee, a fellow KT333 owner.

2. You stated: "About the new VIA chipsets though, no idea. I'm not buying VIA again, so I won't even have a chance to find out!"

Why did you even bother posting? The original poster had a new VIA chipset, KT400. Fozzee also has a fairly new VIA chipset, KT333. You mention you had a 686 Southbridge but this is not a chipset. Blinky indicated that your board is an old hybrid board, not a KT board as KT boards did not use the 686 Southbridge.

3. You stated: "We don't need to get told things like this, it seems that you're the ultimate knowledge in how to fix a computer ... he has tried all these things already ... <snip>."

Do you have Alzheimer's? I stated that I was addressing Fozzee not you. Fozzee has a KT333 and so do I. I was able to solve my sound distortion problem with a soundcard. And so did he (according to his recent post).

Also, how do you know he's tried everything? Do you think you are omnipotent?

I may not be a god but who made you the official vcdhelp.com jester? You don't even own a recent VIA chipset and have zero experience with new VIA chipsets--you admit this. Heck, you have yet to identify the exact model and chipset of your own motherboard. And yet here you are telling people to throw out their new motherboards with a minor sound issue and to buy SIS motherboards. That is not funny ... that is plain childish stupidity.

4. You stated: "How can I change my nick to bbb_is_my_god?"

Once again, for your ridiculously bad memory, I was helping out Fozzee not you.

crahak, I have to admit, you are one of the most miserable persons that I've encountered. I doubt anyone could help you as your god has long forsaken you. In any case, good luck in life. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  23. couldnt have put it better myself

no, seriously, i couldnt have
    AMD 64 X2 6000+ @3,000 Mhz (stock) | MSI K9N Ultra | Corsair Value/Kingston 6,144MB DDR 667 | 8800GT stock | 3710GB of storage | Powered by Mandriva 2009.1

Jabber: DaveQB@jabber.org.au
    2.6.29.3-desktop-1mnb
    Quote Quote  
  24. Well, one can say it's not the VIA chipset, even though it settings and bugs actually are a source of many known and documented problems. They don't behanve nice with creative and promise cards, and a bunch of others. Blame all the other manufacturers? lol

bbb
    I did not mention you exactly said that, only that sort of stuff. You're the only liar here. Your posts were actually less helpful, as it all stuff everyone have tried well before you even knew what a computer was.

I never said a 686 was a chipset on it's own. Again, your imagination is playing tricks on you. I just stated VIA chipsets have bugs, and that's only one problem. You're putting all the information wrong as it pleases you to make up fake arguments and try to laugh at me and feel you're god with your n00b posts. Oh, teach us what is a chipset too, wouldya?

I don't care who you do/don't adress. No alzheimer, about you? You solved your sound problems by using another (non-creative) sound card, which is again the classic thing. Even if you have a hard on for your POS KT333 chipset, it's obviously plagued with the same old problem as it's sticll crackling. (yes, another SC fixes this, but so does another board)

I don't mean HE and only HIM has been thru all this before, but LOTS of other people. We don't need your help to turn the PC on either, but thanks anways.

I don't own a recent VIA chipset, that's for sure, and I'm not going to either. It's still the same old classic problem. Software never really fixes this issue. It's either replace all your cards that don't work with the VIA chipset (in his case, the SC) or the mobo. I throw away the crap mobo. You find that it's stupid? Well, if you think throwing the crap mobo away is stupid, maybe it's because you're stupid after all... That very same sound card would work perfect with a non-VIA chipset. I call this a mobo issue, not a sound card issue.

I still haven't found out how to change my nick.

You, off my planet looser.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Crahak, you are attributing many of my suggestions to BBB, erroneously.
    You are also misinterpreting them.

If you wish to assume what steps someone may or may not have taken to solve a problem, without confirming precisely what they in fact have done, you will waste a lot of time and money.

I do this for a living, and have done so for 14 years. If I had tried to solve every problem by assuming the user had already tried the obvious and simply start replacing parts, I would have been out of business years ago. My statement about turning the PC on was not intended to be practical advice, but to illustrate the general level of PC knowledge that I commonly observe. Updating BIOS and drivers, and trying different PCI slots, are zero-cost, minimal effort items which DO often solve problems.
    These are also what major manufacturers such as DELL, COMPAQ, HEWLETT-PACKARD, (all of whom I am approved to do warranty work for), and others too numerous to mention will advise you to do. BIOS and driver updates are probably the most common solution for hardware that is functioning, but not perfectly in some situations.

The fact that you have apparently had ONE board with a VIA chipset that had problems, and therefore conclude that ALL boards with VIA chipsets are defective, tells me all I need to know. If I proceeded under such an assumption there is virtually no manufacturer of hardware in the PC business from which I would buy.

As for the BIOS, driver update, OC removal, and slot change, I am uncertain whether you are saying none are likely to solve the problem, or that this had already been done. For case #1, based on what level of practical experience? For case #2, based on what information contained in which post?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ok, another one getting me wrong. I never said ALL via chipsets and boards were completely bad. Just that this problem is caused by it. If you haven't one VIA chipset causing such problems. and doing this for work... I'm not even going to say. Anyways, I give up on this one. It's pointless arguing anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Since switching sound cards didn't work for me, from Soundblaster to Turtle Beach, I'm sure as hell blaming the chipset unless someone has something new to try
    Quote Quote  
  28. Well, first, I personally have captured with 5 different VIA boards, 2 different SoundBlaster cards, and a Phillips board, also onboard audio. No problems with crackling audio.

TheBach, other than changing sound cards, I do not know specifically what you have tried. Cable? Direct to Line-in (not thru capture card)? Capture Audio only? Simply monitor audio without capture? Is there any electrical device within a few feet ot PC, or on the same circuit? Most particularly anything with a motor or a flourescent light? Are you on a UPS? Are you connected to audio by analog or using SPDIF? I do get a sporadic, audio popping thru the SPDIF from Digital Cable box, have confirmed this is coming from the cable box and is independent of PC.

I am not saying that it is not possible the problem is with your board. Just that there are many other factors which can easily be the cause of the problem. Also note that in changing MOBO, all cards will be removed and re-inserted, same with RAM and Processor, new drivers installed, hardware re-detected by Windows, possibly new power supply. Thus, even some who report new MOBO solving the problem may not have needed to do so.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Nelson37 is correct. More things should be tried before giving up on a motherboard, especially if general motherboard stability is fine and there is only a sound quality issue (which seems solvable).

Ah, I remember using an old Pentium I motherboard upgraded with a K6-3 CPU+Powerleap adapter and sporting an old ISA Creative AWE 32 card. While watching DVDs with PowerDVD 1.10, I would hear sound peak cut offs and distortions. Everyone, even Creative told me that the ISA AWE 32 simply couldn't downconvert DVD audio from 48 kHz to 44 kHz properly due to lack of processing power and ISA bandwidth limitations. They stated it was a lost cause and that I should get a PCI audio card. But, I persevered and found a better sound driver from a sound capture app, Total Recorder 2.0. It provided much better 48 to 44 kHz downcoversion than Creative's drivers and all my sound distortions were gone. Solving a computer problem without spending cash was very satisfying. Oh the fond memories of pushing old hardware to the limits.

thebach,

Do you have onboard audio on your motherboard? Does it have sound distortions using the original drivers on the motherboard drivers CD?

Also, if you are using a separate audio card, you should disable the onboard audio in the device manager.

Can you hear crackling during the capture process? Does it occur with all sound applications? DVD player? Winamp? CD Player? WM Player?

Have you always experienced sound distortions with your motherboard? Or did it happen recently? If so, could you get a RMA? Motherboards usually have 1 year warranty.

I used to own a KT266A board and never experienced sound distortions for video capture or for any other sound demonstration using the onboard audio in Win98.

What OS do you use?

More data is required to troubleshoot your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I have updated drivers and BIOS, applied latency patch, moved PCI cards around, switched sound cards, did clean install of XP, you name it. Sound is fine when recording only with sound card, crackling is only present when capturing video, sound crackling cannot be heard while capturing. There is no electrical devices near computer. To put it simply there is no reason this should be happening. On board audio is disabled and driver was removed long ago. I work as a computer tech and have for 6 years, and cannot figure this out, it is the only time I have ever been beat by a computer problem. I'm pretty convinced it is the motherboards fault, but would love to fix it and just keep this board. This sound problem is only during capture, in any capture program.
    Quote Quote