VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. NAPA DAV11: Jerky video playback with DVD2VCD ripps

Hello all,

I am having problems playing DVD ripps with the NAPA DAV 11. Retail VCD’S burned too CDR plays fine on all different types of media on this player. I am beginning to think there is a compliancy problem or muxxing issue with my DVD ripps.

Software used for my ripping process:

DVD2AVI frameserverd to Panasonic 2.51 @ 29.97 fps video only.

Audio done with Panasonic separately, then muxxed together with BBMPEG.

Finally burned with NERO, yes NERO tells me this is a white book file…

If anyone has had similar problems with this player and knows of a fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You mentioned that your commercially produced (bought) VCD's are having a problem as well. If the scenes are very dark it is a well known problem of the NAPA DAV 309-311 range. If they are not, then I would recommend that you exchange your player for another one.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nope thats the thing I can't figure, the burned retail one's play fine on different types of media.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just out of interest if you are using the Panasonic MPEG Encoder to do the video feed,and then the audio feed - why then do the audio seperate and mux it together in BBmpeg? The Panasonic Encoder will do both and mux it?

Secondly, just to make absolute sure. When you ripped the VOB files off the DVD did you exclude the macrovision?

Thirdly - the jerkiness. Is it start stop start stop of the player or the video audio feed or is the picture wobbling around?
    Quote Quote  
  5. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-05 10:47:25, aldus4 wrote:
    Just out of interest if you are using the Panasonic MPEG Encoder to do the video feed,and then the audio feed - why then do the audio seperate and mux it together in BBmpeg? The Panasonic Encoder will do both and mux it?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

There may be an A/V sync issue with DVD2AVI with Panasonic MPEG encoder if you do it in one go.

Furthermore, you should ALWAYS remultiplex streams from the Panasonic MPEG encoder anyway as it doesn't mux the video and audio properly (leads to curious a/v sync problems when played back on some stand-alone devices).

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>Secondly, just to make absolute sure. When you ripped the VOB files off the DVD did you exclude the macrovision? </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

This shouldn't be an issue at all. There is no Macrovision inherent in the video data on a DVD. The Macrovision on a DVD is simply a flag in the stream that tells the hardware player to additionally generate the Macrovision signal during playback.

Regards,
    Michael Tam
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sync problems are exactly why I NEVER do encoding jobs with video/audio at the same time. I also get slightly higher quality video when I don’t include audio in the encoding job.

Jerkiness is like, it plays for a second or two, then pauses slightly, then plays again, then freezes slightly again - a bit like a game when the frame-rate drops......
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds to me like you got a bad one. I would try and getting them to change it, especially as you can justify that commercial bought VCD's don't play right.
    Quote Quote