VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi

I am wondering where to buy DVD blank media in Canada? Many of the sites listed on this site like meritline.com and supermediastore.com will not ship to Canada. Anyone have any good resources they use?

My DRU500A is in the mail to me now and I am nervously waiting to use it. I also have a Canopus ADVC1394 coming my way...merry xmas to me...

8)
    Randy
    maintaining memories of life...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.microwarehouse.ca

they carry all types including apple and will match prices ...

i use their "smartdisk" dvd-r for general purpose stuff (apple disks for all other and distro) and it works fine and also burns at 2x speed w/ prassi (not nero)
    Quote Quote  
  3. visit your local futureshop store!!

Quote Quote  
  4. Wow. future shop is quite the last place I'd ever shop for anything. Why buy in canada for like 10$ a blank when you can get them for like .80 cents each in the states? Oh well. Not my money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    5 pack apple media @ microwarehouse canada is $39.00 CND plus tax equals 44.85 CND plus $7.00 shipping = $31.80 US

buy cheapest in USA @ 24.99 plus shipping (10-15$ US) equals $34.99 US = $57.00 CND PLUS gst/pst boarder tax wacked on = 65.00 CND

$13 CND cheaper to buy in canada and your helping the local economy

i havnt seen yet any 80cent dvd-r media that was worth anything .. but it would be nice ..
    Quote Quote  
  6. Swollen Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    5 pack apple media @ microwarehouse canada is $39.00 CND plus tax equals 44.85 CND plus $7.00 shipping = $31.80 US

buy cheapest in USA @ 24.99 plus shipping (10-15$ US) equals $34.99 US = $57.00 CND PLUS gst/pst boarder tax wacked on = 65.00 CND

$13 CND cheaper to buy in canada and your helping the local economy

i havnt seen yet any 80cent dvd-r media that was worth anything .. but it would be nice ..
    Last time I ordered Apple media, I ordered it from Apple. It was $40 with free shipping. Dunno if it's still free shipping.

Local Mac stores sometimes also sell it for $40, although a few seem to mark it up to $50.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for leads...I will likely put in an order with microhouse. It is nice to see the inexpensive media in the US but by the time you convert the dollars and pay the very high shipping rates (in many cases more than the media itself) it ends up being 'not so inexpensive' media.

My DRU500A arrived this morning, I will be installing on the weekend and doing some test burns to DVD+RW that came with it. Wish me luck

Randy
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's still cheaper buying from the US. My last order from Meritline was for 150 DVDs (which included the black DVD movie cases) I paid a TOTAL of CAD$520 which INCLUDED all exchange rate fees, taxes, shipping, and related expenses. That is an all inclusive price to my door.

Some quick math shows that I am only paying CAD$3.50 for each disc. I'm sorry, but I haven't seen anything in Canada that comes close to that. Even in smaller quantities (100) I have paid about CAD$4.20-4.50 a disc, which is still less than what I see in Canadian stores. The most I have paid was CAD$145 for 25 DVDs, which works out to CAD$5.80 each.

Not to mention you can't buy in quanitity anywhere, they only sell singles.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to purchase my media locally, but when the cost is twice as much, its just not worth it. If you are buying one or two discs at a time, sure buy locally. But for any kind of volume, you need to buy in bulk from the US to save money.

Regards,

Savant
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok, sure, you can be picky about the actual media you buy, but there's lots of people out there that are just happy with the 80 cents ones. If you want something different, and you check the prices in the USA, for the same ones, they'll be cheaper in the USA even after shipping, customs and all... But if you really want to get them in canada, it's your money.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I will have to give meritline a call...I sent an e-mail to supermediastore asking if they could ship to Canada and they returned a rather rude e-mail that only said "WE DO NOT SHIP TO CANADA"...I guess our Canadian dollars aren't good enough for them!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    also: staples business depot
    Quote Quote  
  12. well if you come to montreal (they don,t ship tho) there's a very nice shop called infotech which sells pioneer blanks for 5$ each... not great but not bad... you might also want to take a look at http://computers-canada.com/search.html while not a store it'll help you find
    hope that helps
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    www.videoondisc.com/products.html

they sell Maxell DVD-R
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sure, if you purposedly buy by the unit, to make shipping not worthwhile, and not get a bulk price... Otherwise, it's still cheaper from the USA... Supporting the canadian economy is nice, but the day we get prices down to earth, I'll do just that. I don't mind a 10% surcharge or something, but lots and lots of things I got from the US saved me hundreds of dollars at a time... Not just pennies... It's my money, and I'm not throwing it out the window for no reason.
    Quote Quote  
  15. One economy affects the other anyways...consider it supporting the "North American" economy...

Heehee

MAGMA
    Quote Quote  
  16. best option I've found (unless you know someone in the US to ship the dvds up to you) is to try ebay.. I got 100 Fuji DVD+rs for $350 cdn shipped (total price, no tax, no border fees etc!!!!!)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Try www.shop4tech.com they are the only ones that I know of that ship by USPS. All the others ship by UPS (huge brokerage fees). I always order a spindle 100 of Riteks. After duty and taxes the cost comes to abou $200 CDN. They work great on my DMR-E30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    they got nice sleeves there - good price ... thanks http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=718&cata=&s_cata=
    Quote Quote  
  19. Try Effectuality. They have pretty good price. I live in Vancouver and I just pick up my order there. But they only sell DVD-R/RW (not +R/RW).

http://www.effectuality.com/Unprinted_Packaging_CDN/ms_cd_dvd_recordables.shtml

-John
    Quote Quote  
  20. I found some in Staples, of all places. They are Verbatim 2X DVD-R. They cost about $8 each if you don't feel like ordering from the US. I use them all the time with no problems and no coasters.

Take care,

Jenn
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up a copy of Toronto Computes (Jan 2003 Edition) and on page 18, the Ad of BNC Systems Inc. lists "$50 for 25Pack 4.7gb DVDR".
    So it is $2 for a 4.7 gb DVDR disc (Canadian Dollars)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MagmaManno
    One economy affects the other anyways...consider it supporting the "North American" economy...

Heehee

MAGMA
    Or even "Global" economy.

So I'm trying to order from Japan, US, and Taiwan.

@susie

That looks like DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by dvage
    Hi

I am wondering where to buy DVD blank media in Canada? Many of the sites listed on this site like meritline.com and supermediastore.com will not ship to Canada. Anyone have any good resources they use?
    8)
    Randy
    What do you mean they won't ship to Canada?

I just received an order of 50 DVD-R's from meritline, it took 2 days after confirmation of CC. It worked out to about $3.00 per disk, all tolled.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by crahak
    Supporting the canadian economy is nice, but the day we get prices down to earth, I'll do just that. I don't mind a 10% surcharge or something, but lots and lots of things I got from the US saved me hundreds of dollars at a time
    We get the same thing internally here, where a carton of cigarettes (no, I don't use them, but it's the best example) might cost half the price over the state line. Sometimes governments shoot themselves in the foot and effectively encourage smuggling by raising taxes and duties on a product so high that it pays to smuggle. Buy cigarettes in New York City or at the not-too-distant (tax-free) Indian reservation, for a fraction of the price? It's not a tough decision for the working man with a nicotine addiction.

It seems that Canada does the same thing with some items, effectively encouraging their citizens to shop across the border, because the difference in prices on some items, all due to taxes and duties. "Cretin" and his ilk build a more and more expensive nanny state, but Canadians are like anybody else - you can only squeeze so much money out of them before they start shopping (or even living) elsewhere.

Look at the unusual number of top-drawer medical facilities right over the border in New York and other border states. Sure, the health care is taxpayer-funded/single-payer up there, but if it's not an emergency, then you take a number and WAIT. Or, you drive over the border with your credit card and go to the head of the line.
    As Churchill famously predicted when Chamberlain returned from Munich proclaiming peace in his time: "You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
    Quote Quote  
  25. I just ordered 25 disc from:
    http://www.effectuality.ca

I got them at great price in CANADA anyway.
    It was $3.28CND. Only $5.00 or $5.50 shipping I think.

That is by far the best deal for DVD-Rs. And they are very friendly and I hope when I get them this week they will work in my Pioneer A05.
    I am just trying them out...and if they work...I asked the effectuality team if they could give me a better deal for buying 100s or 50s.
    They told me for 50s @ $3.27 and 100s @ $3.24. Maybe they will be cheaper when I actually ready to buy 100 or 200!

Gulu
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For those of you lucky enough to live in Western Canada (BC and Alberta for sure) - London Drugs has Fuji 2-packs of +R for $10.99.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.effectuality.ca
    their blanks are Ritek G03 disks. They don't come right out and tell you this but thats what they are. They aren't all that bad for the price.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I want to buy 4x Ritek DVD-R and I live in Canada.

http://www.esbuy.com/ looks like a good place to buy those, but what scare me is the custom charges:

So i would like to know what are canadian customs doing with DVD-r's ? They just add GST? or they add custom charges?

thanks
    Quote Quote