Page 3 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. DvdHeader, so you paid:

$99 USD for the DVD-R
    $24.90 USD + $40.26 CAN for the UPS
    $29.06 CAN duty

That's 19% Canadian taxes on the approx $152 CAN product;
    Delivery charges via UPS approx $78 CAN........
    That's ridiculously high premium to pay even though it is cheaper than buying it locally.

BTW, why does delivery thru UPS have a price tag of $24.90 US (plus brokerage fee) while the website says approx. $12.10 US for Can UPS? May be you will save some money with delivery thru USPS which is approx $24.90 US but without the $40.26 CAN brokerage fee.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yeah UPS by the rima.com website IS ONLY good to Canada for $12 USd sample pack because this turns out to fall under the UPS radar of $20 Cdn for no Brokerage fee.

I got my sample pack at door no brokerage charge.

Now my Second order of $72 USd is by USPS parcel post $23.50.
    Should have Canada Post drop it off no ridiculous UPS brokerage fee.
    Not sure how the Tax is collected though???

Who has gotten United States Postal Service Parcel post shipment from rima.com and how did Canada Post collect the tax owing?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by oldfart13
    So, which of these internet outfits also take PayPal? I have quite a bit of $$ in my PP account right now that I might like to spend on the right DVD-R blanks seller...
    Effectuality.ca takes PayPal. They sell noname (really Ritek) 1x DVD-R (which really burns at 2X in my DRU500, go figure!) at 3.05 CAN$

Quote Quote  
  4. OMG dont use USPS if you live near a UPS center.

All you have to do is this:

Ship with UPS:

Has soon has you have your tracking number, call UPS canada and ask them if your going to have brokage fees or not and how much will it cost.

If they say there is no brokage fees, then your fine. All you will have to pay is the canadien taxes.

If they say you have brokage fees, tell them you dont want to use there brokage services and to hold your package at there center. You will need to go there, pick up a piece of paper and go with it at the canadien customs. Pay the Canadien taxes then return to UPS to pick up your package. This is very easy to do in the montreal area because the UPS building and the custom building are very close to each other. The drawback is that I will need to do this between 8am and 5pm weekdays because those are the canadien customs opening hours. UPS are open until 8pm

** UPDATE **

UPS told me today its better to ask to not use the brokage service when you place your order. They prefer to know about it when they ship the package instead of calling them back afterwards

This is how I will proceed for the package coming from Shop4tech. For rima, they still havent ship my order yet and I have no tracking number. Has soon I have it, I will call UPS Canada to know if there will be brokage fees or not.
    Quote Quote  
  5. capitola wrote:

That's 19% Canadian taxes on the approx $152 CAN product;
    Delivery charges via UPS approx $78 CAN........
    That's ridiculously high premium to pay even though it is cheaper than buying it locally.
    capitola, you're right...

to mention that it is a ridiculously high premium to pay. But the fact is that it is less expensive this way. In the end what is more important ? Where the money goes or where it comes from. Since the money comes from my pocket I don't care to know who gets what after I paid for my order.

In any case they're all out there to get as much of our money as they can. Since I work hard for it, the most important thing for me is to pay as less as can . If there is another way to pay even less then what I did... well I'm open to all suggestions as everybody else.
    Where ever you go... there you are...in dvdland
    Quote Quote  
  6. herbapou,

you should call Rima concerning your tracking number. That's what I did for my last order since I had been waiting for 5 days without any news.

I called Rima and they game my tracking number right away.
    Where ever you go... there you are...in dvdland
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have sent Rima 3 emails so far. All the response I got was they were going to ship my order "today" and email my the tracking number when they have it.

No news so far, so I going to send another email tomorrow if I dont get an email until then.

** UPDATE **

My order has now been ship and I have my trackig number
    Quote Quote  
  8. The problem with UPS brokage is that is based on a percentage of the total value of the package.

It should be fixed amount instead, its not going to cost them more $$ to process a 10000$ package compare to a 50$ package...
    Quote Quote  
  9. According to my confirmation email from Rima, if there is an attached tracking number, then it is being shipped via UPS, otherwise thru USPS. I had two choices in USPS to choose from (as I specified USPS by email): regular parcel for about $24.50 and Express for about $26.10. The thing is, you could not work out the final price in CAN$ until you receives your parcel, duty payment (?) and your VISA bill (high US$ conversion).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What about DVD+R?
    I live in Toronto and the best deal I got was 3.99CDN$ for Ritek from http://www.canadacomputers.com/optical.html
    Quote Quote  
  11. Almost all my computer components are from Canadacomputers. Too bad they don't have Ritek DVD-R. Even so, buying it from the US online stores are still cheaper.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have received my 100 Ritek G03 order from Shop4tech. Here are the cost:

Subtotal: $95.99
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Shipping: $16.75 -> I selected USPS but they ship it with UPS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Grand Total: $112.74 (The credit card charge was 176.42 CDN)

I went to UPS in Montreal (Lachine) to do the custom process myself. UPS gave me a bunch of papers and a photocopy map on how to get from UPS to the canadian customs building (5 mins away). I guess I am not the only one not using there brokage service

The canadian customs look at the invoice, but the detail on it was 100 DVD-R at 0.29 each for a total of $29. They converted it to cdn and apply GST and PQtax to $44.00. So I paid $6.35 taxes. When I saw the amount I was pretty scare they shipped me the wrong CD's. I went back to UPS with my customs papers and got my package. Has soon has I got in the car I open it. The invoice inside didnt specify any amount but the detail was 100 Ritek DVD-R. The dvd's looked like Riteks (silver/purple) and were much thinner then the princo's I had.

When I got home I put one in my drive and ran ADVDInfo and got this:
    00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 50 00 02 37 0E 0B .B...@....P..7..
    FE FF 80 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 47 00 04 30 33 00 .....RITEKG..03.

I have burn 2 so far and they playback fine in my JVC player. Burn with A05 writer and apply labels after.

So total cost is:

176.42 + 6.35 = 182.77cdn = $1.83 per DVD

If anyone knows how to burn those in 2x with the A05 drive please tell me
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just had a 50 pack riteck shipped from shop4tech with united parcel service.The price to my door including money conversion was$122 can.
    That works out to $2.44 canadian/disk.They test out all right on my dru500a.
    bmiller,ont.canada
    Quote Quote  
  14. I ordered my 100 DVD-R Ritek (white printable surface) and 10 DVD-RW Optodisc from Rima on Monday and I received the item today. It only took 4 days via express USPS from CA to Toronto.

My cost is: US$120 for the 110 dvds + US26.50 express shipping (non-express cost about $24.95) = US$146.50.........I really don't know the exact cost per disc until I get my visa bill and to separate the DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs.

Surprisingly no duty when parcel arrived at the door. May be I will get a bill from the government by mail later.......I am happy with the deal so far and will do business with Rima again.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ordered from shop4tech and selected usps as my delivery choice.The order never came.I phoned them,and they reshipped with ups at no extra cost to me.They implied parcels continually disappear when shipped with usps,and because there is no tracking number,they prefer shipping usps.
    bmiller,ont.canada
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by capitola
    I ordered my 100 DVD-R Ritek (white printable surface) and 10 DVD-RW Optodisc from Rima on Monday and I received the item today. It only took 4 days via express USPS from CA to Toronto.

My cost is: US$120 for the 110 dvds + US26.50 express shipping (non-express cost about $24.95) = US$146.50.........I really don't know the exact cost per disc until I get my visa bill and to separate the DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs.

Surprisingly no duty when parcel arrived at the door. May be I will get a bill from the government by mail later.......I am happy with the deal so far and will do business with Rima again.
    Yeah don't bother saving a few bucks by using slower USPS parcel service. It's been 11 days now still waiting. Damnit Should of used USPS express!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just ordered a few from http://www.oxycom.com (then select the Canada link).

HP's - +R's, $20 for the 5 pack - +RW's, $15 for the 3 pack.

They have a few other names also but the HP seemed to be the best deal... Shipping is fixed $12.95 per order anywhere in Canada.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oxycom is a canada company accually (all other companies are really a fullfillment service) ... thanks for the link - they do have some good prices .. but i did a search on them just for a little more info than on their web site:

Oxycom Inc.
    1200 Mc.Gill College, Suite 1100
    Montreal Quebec,H3B 4G7
    CA

Mourelatos, Jerry jerry@OXYCOM.COM
    Oxycom Inc.
    1200 Mcgill College, suite 1100
    Montreal Quebec, H3B 4G7
    CA
    1-514-990-9158 (FAX) 1-514-990-9159

though on amazon store search they list thier address as:

Oxycom.com
    9625 West 76th Street
    Suite 150
    Eden Prairie, MN 55344

which may be the fullfillment house for usa orders ..
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well I officially regret buying the Cheap Princo 1x white tops from Rima.
    Some disc's have surface problems on last 1/4 inch of outer rim. I have to visually inspect each disk and sort them. The ones that I see problems with are kept for 90 min movies. I have about 2-3 out of each 10 so far that are not visually perfect on surface from my 100 spindle. Also I think the Princo are sensitive to labels. I have no problems with my Verbatim that have labels but the Princo might be too flimsy to suport the weight or something. It just could be the princo surface or the lables, still doing tests to be sure.

So basically just ordered the only available 100 disk spindle of Ritek from Rima. the printable top spindle for $110.

My thanks to Herbapou I will use the standard UPS and go pickup & pay my taxes myself and save as much as I can to keep the spindle under $200 Cdn.

update: Order Cancelled, rima could not garantee I would have clear centered Ritek White top. I don't want to risk at that price to get the junk complete white top Riteks. Princo's are bad enough but were only $59. For $110 I expect perfection and will not settle for less.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DvdHeader
    Hey , herbapou you're right about the prices rising for Ritek DVD-R but actually I believe I got the cheapest place to buy DVD-Rs from, it's from www.rima.com . I placed 2 orders there in the last 2 months.

The first one was for 100 Ritek DVD-Rs on a spindle plus the cd labels and believe or not but it came to $2.66 CDN all included (exchange, duty and taxes). It was delivered to my work place within 6 days

The second order was for 4 x 5 DVD-RAMs pack and it cam to $204.00 CDN. You can't beat these prices in Montreal for sure.
    Hey! I wanted to order the 100 Ritek DVD-Rs from rima.com as well. I was just wondering, how much in duty/taxes did you have to pay if any? If I don't count duty/taxes, it comes to approx$180 USD which is ABOUT $280 CDN. So I'm assuming you didn't have toy duty/taxes??

Cheers.

Bombart.
    Quote Quote  
  21. the media is duty free. read this thread about how to ship cheaply by uPS then do some legwork to not pay UPS brokerage charges.

You pay candian taxes only on 1.52x the declared US value.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bought a spindle of 25 Ritek G03s from resellers in Toronto (since I'm also in Ontario) and they came out to $62CAD including Express shipping (got them in 2 days). I got quoted $200 for a spindle of G04s plus $15 shipping but I might be able to do better than that. Checked the disks with ADVDinfo and they are indeed Ritek G03s. Too bad they only burn at 1X in my Pioneer A05 but they were cheaper than buying Verbatim's at Staples for $20/3. Incidently, that is a lot cheaper than the Memorex disks available at Wal-Mart. Those are $30/3 and don't burn right most of the time. The Verbatim's are also 2X disks!
    Quote Quote  
  23. that is very close to buying 100 disk G03 at around $110 - 120 US + shipping and taxes. Very nice price for Canada.

Can you please give us your seller's link or name and phone number?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need 100pk of princos anyone know where in canada? cheapest?
    Slowly Im gettin this DVD-R stuff :)
    Quote Quote  
  25. <cough cough> princos suck <cough> <cough>

seriously, unless ur copying dvds for other people and u are just trying to reduce ur expenses, stick with quality discs. the lowest id go would be ritekg03s, and i only use those for movies i dont really care too much about and copies for friends
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh hehe , I just need to cut back on expense for I have none to spare =( any places?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quality discs? Okay, I bought 6 Verbatim DVD-RW from Futureshop yesterday. These are what Pioneer says you should use in the A05. Only problem is that regardless of the writing software, they don't play in anything other than the A05 itself. Ripped a 3.5 Gig test movie to files and ISO. Burned with Nero, Stomp RecordNow Max 4.5 and Discjuggler Pro 4.0. None of the burns would play back in anything other than the A05. Wouldn't even write using Stomp. It says discs are defective (used 2 different ones for the tests). $7 each and don't work in anything (Matsushita 8583 DVD ROM, Sony PS2 and Apex AD-1500)? Maybe I stick to the Riteks...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ive used the ritek silver/purple with no problems.Ive recorded with nero and instant copy.The sony dvd+rw that came with the dru500a plays on my computer and my toshiba 3750 also.I'm using 1.0fsoftware in the sony,and i'm going to stick with it,because everything works.It may be a little slower to burn,but i don't care,as long as everything works,why mess with it.At $2.50 canadian shipped to my door,the Riteks are a good deal.
    bmiller,ont.canada
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh oh! b miller where did you get riteks for $2.50 shipped to your door? be great if you can share =)
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Ryen
    I need 100pk of princos anyone know where in canada? cheapest?
    All I know is here in Quebec $165 tax included 100 discs princo 1x

http://www.frostys.qc.ca/e_products.phtml?category=media

You have to walk-in no mail order.

order from rima. Why bother scrounging and paying more in Canada.

What is this Phobia of ordering from the States when after conversion, shipping and taxes it's always cheaper. ALWAYS.

That Princo from Frostys will cost $30 less if ordered from rima.com.
    Quote Quote