VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    there is no duty on dvd-r 's but you pay gst and pst plus brokerage fee's (like form fedex or ups) .. ups fee's are a lot more than fedexs in this regard and reg. postal is cheapest (though good luck gettng it any time soon)

FEDeX though has reported to me that they lost a shipment of a complete sgi system that was heading my way from usa ...

I have ordered a lot of stuff from esbuy and they have been really good - one time they missed a firewire case in a large order and 1 phone call to them and they sent it right away (wasnt the right one but close and same price anyway)

before buying from a company online - always check http://www.resellerratings.com/

and remeber to leave a report of your experiances also ..
    Quote Quote  
  2. The last shipment I received from Meritline.com (50 DVD-R's) I paid $7.06 GST (no PST in Alberta). No brokerage charges indicated on the brokerage statement.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by raven282
    http://www.effectuality.ca
    their blanks are Ritek G03 disks. They don't come right out and tell you this but thats what they are. They aren't all that bad for the price.
    Effectuality.ca are good. Prompt, courteous service with quick delivery. No minimum. They added a bunch of DVD-R to my order after they lost (twice!) my PayPal payment.

On the other hand if you are looking for "Brand Name", compusmart.com sells HP DVD+R at 28 CAN$ for a 5-pack and HP DVD+RW at 21 CAN$ for a 3-pack. I don't know about shipping as the store is 5 mins from my workplace.

It's basically 50% then it was last week ... when I bought some

You can also print the price from the compusmart.com website then walk to Future Shop and have them match price ...

Mario
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just order 100 DVD-R and they shiped it with UPS. Anyone knows what will be my brokerage cost?

And how do we pay the GST and brokage? On delevery?

** UPDATE **

I call UPS Canada and got the following info:

My package was US $95.00 plus $17 shipping. I need to pay both the GST and Quebec sales tax so 15%. The brokage fee depends on the value of the package and they told me it is going to be around $30 cdn.

BUT I asked to NOT used there brokage service. In order to do that, I will need to pickup a piece of paper at the UPS center in montreal (lachine) and go to canadian customs with it to pay the taxes. The Canadian customs are just a few minutes away from the UPS building. After I (waited in line and) paid my taxes, I just need to return to UPS, give them the custom papers and they will give me my package.

Is it worth to go to all this trouble for $30? For me, I think yes.

-------------------------

I bought my DVD-R from https://www.shop4tech.com and what I find odd is they shipped my package with UPS and I selected USPS airmail. The added a UPS tracking button on my order info page and UPS confirmed to me all the above information.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by herbapou
    I just order 100 DVD-R and they shiped it with UPS.

Anyone knows what will be my brokerage cost?

And how do we pay the GST and brokage? On delevery?

Probably around $50-60 CND total, paid upon delivery via cash or card. The UPS broker fee is a nasty little addition to canadian shipments from the states, but at least they are fast and reliable. I've had airmail parcels take a month via USPS/Canada Post!
    Quote Quote  
  6. COSTCO !!! Good news folks! Costco now carries DVD-R and DVD+R's. They are TDK 2X (DVD-R's) and they cost a wonderful $18.14 for a 4 pack...in Alberta.

So, if you can't find them at a Costco near you, ask them to order them. Also, they blindly ordered more DVD+R's than DVD-R's...so I spoke to the guy about capatibility issues and he is going to order DVD-R over DVD+R 5 to 1.

I use them in my Pioneer DVR-A05 and they work like a charm.

Enjoy!

JennyBear
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Summit Electronics ( Hamilton). Sale last week and this week. DVD-r $1.97. They'll be having this on and off for the next few months........If you have a friend in Hamilton, have him ship it to your place.

905-548-9555
    Quote Quote  
  8. my experiences with the rima.com sample pack and my new Pioneer DVR-105 with firmware 1.0 First time DVD burner here. happy as hell too.

everything burned properly at 1x and ran on all my dvd drives. my burns were all 4gb or less each. Used Nero 5.5.9.17 with UDF/ISO, aspi 4.6 installed. XP sp1.

DVD drives TESTED , Pioneer DVR-105, DVD-119, Toshiba Satellite notebook 2800 and Toshiba set top DVD player SD2800.

Tonight I Ordered a cheap 100 spindle of Princo $59 since they burn and play just as fast and as well as the more expensive Ritek G03's. I also ordered a 10pak of Princo RW for $12 to back up my computer. If you want to ship by US postal service you need to call them. toll free 888-777-7462.

It looks like a rant but this place has THE BEST customer service I have ever had from an internet merchant. All my e-mails are answered with 24hrs (4 so far)and they called me back 30mins later with a shipping quote tonight. So Order a sample pack test em out if of corse you want 2x or 4x media the sample pack is all 1x stuff.

Unless I can get a DVD-R for $1.50 cdn tax included each in Canada I'm always going to order/buy from rima.

Looking forward to seeing Ritek 4x media at less than $1 US per disc before summertime. hopefully.

good luck to all.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Looking forward to seeing Ritek 4x media at less than $1 US per disc before summertime. hopefully

I am not so sure about this, there is very high demand on Ritek media at the moment. I just order from Rima too I order 200 Ritek G03 and 25 Optodisc -RW.

Stores are starting to be back order with Ritek media and you will notice that prices actually rise last a bit.

BUT thats for the G03 disc, I dont think 4x are in large demands at 1.75 a piece. So maybe they will drop by summer 8)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well since it will be a week before I see my large order from Rima come in and I want to play with my new toy over the weekend I'm going to Staples with a weapon.

They have a new 150% price match guarantee policy.

I'm bringing in a printout of a local store media list here:
    http://www.frostys.qc.ca/e_products.phtml?category=media

Verbatim DVD-R-Plus 4X 4.7gig Jewel case $ 5.00 (tax included in price)

so if Staples sell it for $10 I'm going to pay $2.50 (plus tax)for it. hehe

I'm good for 25 at that price

That would be about 1.65 a piece in US currency
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the tip.

I just bought 5 Verbatim 2x at 3.25 each at the downtown montreal store.
    The regular price was 8.30

I didnt bought a lot because that still doesnt beat the 2$ price (cdn, all tax and shipping fees include) I am getting for my incoming RitekG03 mail order.

You really have to be nuts to buy regular price DVD's at FutureShop or Staples. I wonder when are they going to get there fingers out of there nose and start selling DVD's in Spindles at a decent price...
    Quote Quote  
  12. yeah this Retail Verbatim is top quality. I have burned 5 so far at 2x full 4.6gb movies and they play until the end. I only watch the last 30 mins to check em. perfect to the very last credit rolls by and the movie starts over again. Even Rima sells them for over $3 Usd so we got a good deal here for once.

BTW the Frostys Princo is terrible crapola. I cannot burn video on it that doesn't freeze after an hour. I even tried to just burn 3gb and the same crappy result. Next time I'm over there gonna tell not to sell that if they haven't got complaints already. Going to keep the the 2 I have left for data disks only.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I email Frosty to ask them if they could get Ritek and they said no...

I think canadian retail stores have a unhealthy fetish about princo...
    Quote Quote  
  14. @herbapou

Which store in Montreal did you purchase your Verbatim DVD-Rs
    for such a good price?

I am heading there in the next few days
    Quote Quote  
  15. Tony Yip

That was a "best price match" from Staples. I just show them the price of the Verbatim at Frosty (5.00) and they reduce it according to there price policy.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    pijetro:

I live in Hamilton and I bought the DVD-Rs a few days ago. I have a Pioneer A05 and so far I have tried 3 and they were all coasters.

The first one I used DVD Decryptor, the second one used DVDXcopy and the third one was InstantCD/DVD.

99% of the movie played and then with about 2 minutes left, the DVD just went back to the main menu. Happened on all 3. When I played them on my computer, the DVDs paused for about a minute at the same spot and then continued playing....weird!
    Quote Quote  
  17. About the Verbatims Datalife Plus DVD-R From Staples. I have burned 8 so far with burn sizes ranging from 4.4 - 4.6 gb. Only 1 so far had a problem. The DVD-R would play until the last minute of the movie pause, skipthen jumps straight to the rolling credits.

All my burns were ripped with Decrypter then DVD2one. I am very happy with these DVD-R. too bad that even at $3.35 Cdn each still too expensive to use regularly.

Now if only Frostys could lower their price to $3 each :P

8.29 - 3 = 5.29/2 = 2.64 50% of difference
    Price matched @ 3 minus 50% of difference = 36 cents

Now 36 cents is a fair price muhahaha I love staples!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Well, thanks to Seraphic in another forum, I printed a Canadian web seller's page selling the Verbatim 2X DVD-Rs for $4.60 and too it to Staples for their 150% guarantee.

The salesman said that they normally dont match web pages because they dont factor in shipping. So, he charged me full price for 1 Verbatim ($8.29 to cover the shipping costs) and then the other 9 were $2.75 each.

I love the Staples 150% guarantee...10 Verbatim 2X DVD-Rs totalling with tax $38.21

Thats only $3.82 per DVD!!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    herbapou and others who live in Canada, If you live in Toronto and don't mind going to the store to pick them up, head towards College & Spadina. You'll find many stores there that will have the cheapest 4X (or for that matter any DVD-Rs) around. I picked up 25 4X Ritex from a store named Sonnam... www.sonnam.com and more specifically,
    http://www.sonnam.com/parts.asp?prod_code=MED
    for their DVD media. I bought 25 4X Ritex for 4.70 CDN each. THat's the best I've found them (PS these came with the slim cd/dvd cases as well. I didn't want them, but that's how they sell them. Anyways, that's just one store. Another store I buy a lot of stuff from are Canada Computers @ www.canadacomputers.com . I've had only one bad experience with that store where a printer I bought from them didn't work out of the box and they refused to take it back the same day!!! Lexmark sent me a new one immediately though, so I didn't bother. Anyways, everything else was good. They're kinda rude sometimes... I haven't shopped there for like 4 mts.

There are MANY MANY stores in that area. You should check them out.

Cheers.

B.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    YIKES! Forgot to mention, I initially bought the RITEX 2X DVD-Rs from sonnam and they would only burn at 1X on my Pioneer A05. So I took them back (the 24 I hadn't used anyways) , got the 4X and paid the difference in price

The 4X Ritex DVD-Rs have, so far, worked flawlessly. I've burnt 12 from this bunch.

B.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hey , herbapou you're right about the prices rising for Ritek DVD-R but actually I believe I got the cheapest place to buy DVD-Rs from, it's from www.rima.com . I placed 2 orders there in the last 2 months.

The first one was for 100 Ritek DVD-Rs on a spindle plus the cd labels and believe or not but it came to $2.66 CDN all included (exchange, duty and taxes). It was delivered to my work place within 6 days

The second order was for 4 x 5 DVD-RAMs 9.4 GIG pack and it came to $204.00 CDN ($10.20 for 9.4 gig DVD-RAMs ). You can't beat these prices in Montreal for sure.
    Where ever you go... there you are...in dvdland
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hey , herbapou you're right about the prices rising for Ritek DVD-R but actually I believe I got the cheapest place to buy DVD-Rs from, it's from www.rima.com . I placed 2 orders there in the last 2 months.

The first one was for 100 Ritek DVD-Rs on a spindle plus the cd labels and believe or not but it came to $2.66 CDN all included (exchange, duty and taxes). It was delivered to my work place within 6 days

The second order was for 4 x 5 DVD-RAMs pack and it cam to $204.00 CDN. You can't beat these prices in Montreal for sure.
    Quote Quote  
  23. herbapou

Hit three staples stores west island again today for Verbatim Dataplus DVD-RW. $13.54 Pricematched Frostys.qc.ca $5.99 got them for $2.21.

Dare if you can. I had to argue real hard with 2/3 stores but got my way.
    They did tell me not to try it again. heh one store manager was real pissed that I wouldn't back off or leave until she gave them to me for $2.21

Got in all 14 disks. Cleaned them all out.

Suckers and their stupid %150 pricematch!

Now I just make sure my rima.com orders come in steady so I don't go into DVD writing withdrawal and go argue with Staples store managers to give me their DVD-RW for free
    Quote Quote  
  24. I recently made a $120 purchase at Rima.com. The UPS shipping to Canada cost $12.10. To avoid brokerage fees, I declined it and accepted USPS for a whipping S+H fee of $24.95. Could you share your experience with UPS shipping from Rima (or any US online sites)? Were there any Customs taxes involved via UPS or USPS? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I think I saw DVD-Rs for 2.90CAD a piece in Canada Computers yesterday.
    Best wishes,
    UP
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, which of these internet outfits also take PayPal? I have quite a bit of $$ in my PP account right now that I might like to spend on the right DVD-R blanks seller...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone in Canada tell me how much duty, GST and PST was charged on your last shipment of DVD-Rs? I have a unique situation in that I am only 1/2 hour drive from the border so it's pretty easy for me to just drive down and pick up my order on the U.S. side then turn around and declare it back on Canadian soil. Cheaper than using USPS as well as getting rid of the high fees charged by UPS...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Canadacomputer sell Princo DVD-R for $2.99....not a good DVD media.
    Shop4Tech.com take Paypal as I see logo on checkout.
    Quote Quote  
  29. "Canadacomputer sell Princo DVD-R for $2.99....not a good DVD media. "

If the above media is the same Junk Princo I bought here for $2.50

http://www.frostys.qc.ca/e_products.phtml?category=media

4 out of 4 fucked up burning video 60 mins into the film.

Not Bashing Princo since the stuff from rima.com is good and I ordered a spindle but what ever Princo rejects canadian wholesalers are buying I don't know. Good bet is that it'sthe same stuff in both Canadian stores.
    Frostys supplier is Ingram Canada. ASk Canadacomputer who they buy their Princo from.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I just found the order receipt from my last order from RIMA.COM and the $ breakdown goes like this:

100 Ritek DVD-R 4.7: $79.00 USD
    4 3/8": $20.00 USD
    Freight: $24.90 USD
    ------
    Total: $123.90 USD

I paid the order with my VISA CC and I was billed $196.76 CDN

The UPS billing was as follows:

GST: $13.54 CDN
    $15.52 CDN

BROK. FEE: $38.09 CDN
    BROK. GST: $ 2.17 CDN
    ------
    Total: $69.32 $CDN

So the total charge for that order came to $266.08

Including the price for the labels I paid $2.66 CDN per DVD-R

If I exclude the price for the labels, one would only pay $2.35 CDN per DVD-R which I believe is a very good price. Of course those are only 1X but then again I use DVD2ONE that saves me a lot of time on backuping my movies.

As of today RIMA has increased the price of the Ritek DVD-R to $0.91 each which makes me think that Ritek DVD-Rs are becoming like gas a rare commodity. But even at that price you would pay only $2.54/DVD-R.
    Quote Quote