VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. LINUX: I hear nuff talk bout this thing so called Linux, but i still havent figured out wot it is m8s...is it sum kind of program like photoshop or summit? will it work on win 2000? happy fer a gr8 (n not lame) reply, i got my 1st computer last week so dun b harsh pls
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    linux: The name generally refers to a package of software that includes it's own OS ( like windows 2k ).

The more technical definitition is that linux is the kernel of the OS. This is the real base. It handles interaction between the software and the hardware. On top of this "kernel" free software has been added to make the linux kernel into a "unix" like operating environment.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the answer snowmoon. So Linux would be some kind of competitor to the Windows series if I get it right?

Which one is better? I find Windows very easy to use, but there are a lot of bugs and it's well quite slow in my opinion. Heard that Linux is quite the opposite, hard to use (in the beginning at least, hard to install as well) but bugfree etc.... Or?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, that's an oversimplification, but has an element of truth.

Linux is still mostly open source -- which means that the source code for the entire OS + a good deal of other programs (some which one would describe as crucial in a modern PC) are freely and openly available to the public.

As such, any bugs that are found can be fixed by the community.

This is unlike the Windows OS where bugs will get reported to Microsoft and then it is up to Microsoft to fix the bug and then release the bug patch to the public.

As Linux is based on Unix, it runs a lot of Unix based programs.

As to which is better (Windows or Linux), there is no answer to this question. It is like asking if an apple is better than an orange.

Windows (especially XP) is easier to use than Linux. Furthermore, there are a LOT more home user oriented programs (that the average person actually like using) under Windows than Linux.

Linux, on the other hand, is free and there are a lot of high powered programs on it that don't exist on Windows (at least not for free anyway, and if they are, they aren't very good). For example, if you want to run a web server, you would probably want to use Linux rather than, say, your regular copy of Windows XP Home. Linux generally allows more direct control and access to your hardware than Windows does and is more configurable.

Linux at its core is probably more stable than Windows. However, that doesn't mean you can't crash Linux.

IMHO, no version / distribution of Linux is ready for the mass consumer/home market yet (when compared to say Windows or MacOs).

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're into reading, there's a brilliant essay by Neal Stephenson that neatly (and not without entertaining value) explains the differences between OS's. It can be bought, but in this era, even downloaded for free! A 'must read' for anyone interested in a discussion on pros/cons in regard to OS's!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. linux = love

:igh::

for someone new to linux, i'd recommend mandrake its the easiest to get configured.... but 8.2 changed drastically from previous versions.
    poop.
    Quote Quote