VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I have been reading several fourms to see what everyone is using for media for the Sony DRU500A. Here is the list that I have put together:

DVD RECORDING MEDIA

GOOD
    -RW Memorex, TDK , Sony
    -R Accu, Verbatum, TDK, Sony, CompUSA, Princo , Memorex, BeALL (Samsung), LAC
    -R 2x Generic , TDK
    +R Sony, Meritline
    +RW Sony, TDK , Meritline

BAD
    -R Memorex, Optodisk , DVDPro (Grade A, Meritline)
    -RW Princo
    +R TDK , Fuji

I have used Sony +RW, Memorex -RW, Verbatim +R and LAC -R with no problems on my PC DVD-ROM reader and Pioneer 525 player to play a move that I copied from my DVD's.

I was on the phone with the technical deptmartment at MeritLine (http://www.meritline.com) today to see what they recommend which I have included in the above list. They had a good price of $1.09 each for 100 ACCU DVD -R's with no cases. Their Meritline DVD +RW are $3.68 each or 10 for $35.80 with cases.

I LOVE the DVD +RW for recording time. A 4GB movie takes about 22 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I noticed that you have the Memorex -R media in both the good and bad lists. Which list does it really belong in? Or is it randomly working for some people and not working for others? I seem to be having problems with the Memorex -R myself...

Edit/Additions:
    Write done using Nero .14
    three 2.0 Memorex -R discs, Taiwan origin (all from the same pack) - fail
    six 2.0 TDK -R discs, Japanese origin (two different packs) - pass
    four 1.0 Sony +RW discs, Japanese origin (two packs + bundled disc) - pass
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think we should postpone judging DRU500A until burning softwares fully support DRU500A (at least Nero). I authored a movie with Spruceup then burned memorex dvd-r with Record now but Record now doesn't have DVD video burining mode. My Daewoo 5700 played it fine but started stuttering in the middle of the movie. Nero showed an error during the burn test with dvd-+r so I didn't use Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I hope that you are wrong about Meritline DvdPro Grade A DVD-R

I ordered from them and they will arrive soon. Not like my DRU500A from dell.com
    Quote Quote  
  5. Swollen Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think we should postpone judging DRU500A until burning softwares fully support DRU500A (at least Nero). I authored a movie with Spruceup then burned memorex dvd-r with Record now but Record now doesn't have DVD video burining mode. My Daewoo 5700 played it fine but started stuttering in the middle of the movie.
    That sounds more like a burn quality or disc quality issue, not a software compatibility issue.

And what do you mean that your software "doesn't have DVD video burning mode" if you burned a DVD video with it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by donpedro
    I hope that you are wrong about Meritline DvdPro Grade A DVD-R

I ordered from them and they will arrive soon. Not like my DRU500A from dell.com
    I hate to burst your bubble but look at their site:

Not suitable for Pioneer S-201 Drive, Panasonic DMR-E20, Sony DRU-500 player
    http://www.meritline.com/dvdprobul47d.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. It looks like I was too quick. When did they add this comment ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I saw where Supertek had posted this on the Pinnacle professional webboard several days ago:

Success reported with:
    Sony DVD+RW (included with drive)
    Sony DVD-RW
    Sony DVD-R
    Memorex DVD+RW
    Accu DVD-R
    BEALL DVD-R
    Princo DVD-R
    Verbatum DVD-R
    TDK DVD-R
    TDK DVD+RW
    TDK DVD-RW
    Fuji DVD+RW
    Verbatim DVD+R
    CompUSA DVD-R
    Imation DVD-R
    GQ DVD-R
    LAC DVD-R
    Meritline DVD+RW

Problems reported with:
    TDK DVD+R
    Princo DVD-RW
    DVDPro DVD-R
    old Verbatim 2x DVD-R
    Verbatim DVD-R http://www.verbatim.com/support/sonystatement.cfm

Problems & Success reported with:
    Memorex DVD-RW
    Memorex DVD+R
    Memorex DVD-R
    Optodisk DVD-R
    Sony DVD+R
    Fuji DVD+R
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks. I am sad ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by JasonK
    I saw where Supertek had posted this on the Pinnacle professional webboard several days ago:

Success reported with:
    Sony DVD+RW (included with drive)
    Sony DVD-RW
    Sony DVD-R
    Memorex DVD+RW
    Accu DVD-R
    BEALL DVD-R
    Princo DVD-R
    Verbatum DVD-R
    TDK DVD-R
    TDK DVD+RW
    TDK DVD-RW
    Fuji DVD+RW
    Verbatim DVD+R
    CompUSA DVD-R
    Imation DVD-R
    GQ DVD-R
    LAC DVD-R
    Meritline DVD+RW

Problems reported with:
    TDK DVD+R
    Princo DVD-RW
    DVDPro DVD-R
    old Verbatim 2x DVD-R
    Verbatim DVD-R http://www.verbatim.com/support/sonystatement.cfm

Problems & Success reported with:
    Memorex DVD-RW
    Memorex DVD+R
    Memorex DVD-R
    Optodisk DVD-R
    Sony DVD+R
    Fuji DVD+R
    You can add me to the Memorex DVD-R incompatability Good thing I only had 3 of them. BeAll and Ritek have both worked great for me.

Eric
    Quote Quote  
  11. BAD
    Memorex DVD+R
    Princo DVD-R (without logo, not sure if it's realy Princo yet)
    TDK DVD+R

GOOD
    Memorex DVD+RW

I tried 9 Princo's and made 5 coasters and 1 didn't get reconized at all. So I ended up with 3 good discs. (I'm not realy sure if these are real Princo discs, cause these ones are completly white there's no logo printed on them, I bought these on 90piece spindle at http://www.plextor.nl.)
    The TDK dvd+r is very bad, indeed no errors during burning.. but the disc only contains corrupted data, some dvd-roms drives go crazy (fast spinning and/or lots of seeking across the disc) with the burned tdk's.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have been using the DRU500A for about a week. Bought some Verbatim 2x DVD-R media about 15 Oct 2002, Sony DVD-R media, Verbatim DVD-RW, and Sony DVD+RW media. I reformatted my HD before I used the burner. Installed a full version of WinXP Pro (no service packs), and Nero 5.5.9.14. I authored the DVD-Video with Sonic DVDit! v2.5. Here are my results.

Bad Media
    Verbatim DVD-R

Good Media
    Sony DVD-R, DVD+RW
    TDK DVD-R v2.0
    Verbatim DVD-RW

I am very happy with this drive. If I would have known about the Verbatim DVD-R problems I would not have had any coasters yet.

I have reused the same Verbatim DVD-RW 3x no problems
    I have burned 2 each of the TDK and Sony DVD-R no problems
    I have burned 1 each of the Sony DVD+RW no problems

I hope this helps.
    -ynt
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anybody have luck with Ritek DVD-R, DVD-RW or Bestsonic (which is Ritek)??
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by geoffs
    Anybody have luck with Ritek DVD-R, DVD-RW or Bestsonic (which is Ritek)??
    The only Ritek coaster I have is one I accidentally left the IFOs off of! Memorex failed on first burn for me. I've only really burned about 7 -R's. I've burned to the +RW that came with it at least 10 times.
    Quote Quote  
  15. We shouldn't need to have this discussion about disk brands. I can tolerate the verbatim recall, but now Sony is saying all brands except TDK and Sony are bad. I'm sorry, all brands are not bad. Sony drives are bad. There shouldn't be a list of brands to be excluded. So far I made about 20 coasters out of memorex and maxell disks, and sony could have saved me all that money by putting a note in the box. If they had a note on the outside of the box they would have saved me the trouble of buying it altogether.

All together now - take your drives back to the store and get a refund. You can always buy it again when and if sony releases updated firmware that works with standard name brand disks.

What brand of drive should I buy to not have this problem? Is pioneer as good as it's reputation says?
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have Verbatim DVD+RW media (PN 94240), and it works fine on my DRU500A.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Swollen Member
    Search Comp PM
    We shouldn't need to have this discussion about disk brands. I can tolerate the verbatim recall, but now Sony is saying all brands except TDK and Sony are bad.
    When did Sony say that? I've only heard mention of the Verbatim DVD-R business.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Just got off the phone with Sony - they now claim TDK, SONY, and KODAK are the only supported brands. They say they offer no support if you are having problems with any other brand. They also say Nero is unsupported, but I have seen postings that say it works ok.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I guess we were too happy about first +/-R drive. Result ? A lot of unhappy people.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by DVDepressed
    Just got off the phone with Sony - they now claim TDK, SONY, and KODAK are the only supported brands. They say they offer no support if you are having problems with any other brand. They also say Nero is unsupported, but I have seen postings that say it works ok.
    Nero works for me. THe only problem I have had so far has been related to outdated firmware on my motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by donpedro
    It looks like I was too quick. When did they add this comment ?
    I burn a home video disc using DVD Pro disc. Works in my DVD-ROM and DVD player without issue.

-derek
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by derekyeu
    Originally Posted by donpedro
    It looks like I was too quick. When did they add this comment ?
    I burn a home video disc using DVD Pro disc. Works in my DVD-ROM and DVD player without issue.

-derek
    Same here.
    I had problems yesterday with DVDPro.

Today I tried again (silver top DVDPro) and had no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I am very happy with this drive. Nero 5.5.9.14 has worked every time with the exception of the Verbatim Media. I burned 3 more DVD-Videos last night all (TDK DVD-R Media) and 1 DVD-RW (Verbatim Media) still no problems yet. So far I can't complain about this drive.
    -ynt
    Quote Quote  
  24. Has anyone tried burning Ritek at 2X with their DRU-500A?
    (The Pioneer A04 with the right firmware can burn these at 2X).

The reasaon I wonder if it is possible, is that I found that Prodisc 2X (silver top) can be burned at 2X in my DRU-500A, even though they are apparently 2X certified only for Pioneer burners (or am I mistaken
    about the last part)?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Swollen Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVDepressed
    Just got off the phone with Sony - they now claim TDK, SONY, and KODAK are the only supported brands. They say they offer no support if you are having problems with any other brand. They also say Nero is unsupported, but I have seen postings that say it works ok.
    OK, that's quite different than saying there's an incompatibility with the media (like with Verbatim DVD-R).

Any company will say they don't support 3rd party products.

You wouldn't expect Panasonic to say they will support Princo media for example.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I received my Sony Dru500a from Dell yesterday.I tried the princo dvd-r
    white discs with no success.Ritek dvd-r media works though.I purchased both from Rima.I burned both brands by using Record Now, Dvd decrypter
    and Nero burning rom with the new update.The Princo white discs work real well on the panasonic Dmr-E30.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After reading the threads in this forum, I am seeing many differing opinions on the drive and the media used with this drive. I've had my drive (yes, the Sony DRU500A) for about 3 weeks. I bought it at Best Buy when they first showed up here and I have not had any noticeable problems. I did make two coasters with memorex dvd-r's. But so far the dvd-rw's and dvd+rw's have performed flawlessly. I also ordered 100 dvd-r's and 50 dvd-rw's in bulk off pricewatch.com. I bought the dvd-r's at 60 cents apiece and the dvd-rw's at 90 cents apiece. All told with s&h I spent $116 for 150 dvd's. So far I have burned 10 dvd-r's with none of them turning into coasters. I've also noticed that I am getting different burn speeds with each dvd I stick in the drive. I've gotten as high as 3.6x using nero on the dvd-r's, but I've averaged about 1.2x on most of the media. I've also tried using GearPro 6.0 and even though it listed my drive as a DVD drive, it refused to let me burn a dvd. So far I have had the best success with VOB instant dvd and Nero in burning dvd's. In my opinion Sony needs to better detect dvd media and report the media properly. Hopefully a firmware update will be out soon.

Also in my opinion, I don't believe people should be so harsh in their judgement of this drive. Considering it's price and capability as well as it's offerings, Sony has put together an incredible package for so little money ($350). I dare you to find another drive on the market for this amount with as many capabilities and future possibilities. Rarely does any company get anything perfect the first go-around and considering this is the first entry on the market, I think Sony did a wonderful job. For those looking to buy this drive, I would recommend it. I only suggest that you buy your media on the internet and don't waste your money at the local stores.

BTW, there is another thread that has a review of this drive.
    Check it out here: http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121670 or a direct link
    to the review: http://www.djsmiley.com/review_sony/
    Quote Quote  
  28. I just copied a DVD movie using the latest version of Nero 5.5.9.17 http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#download to a Meritline DVD-R 2x blank (silver top and purple bottom).

This media is available from Meritline http://www.meritline.com/mer47dvmed2x.html and cost $1.64 for 25 or $1.54 for 100.
    Quote Quote  
  29. My Media Report (Using Nero 55917):

Generic White Label DVD-R 1 - (Recognizes 1/20 discs and fails during write)
    Generic White Label DVD-R 2 - (Recognizes discs, but fails during write) (2X)
    Sony DVD+RW - (OK) (1X)
    CompUSA DVD-R - (OK) (1X)
    Imation DVD-R - (Recognizes disc, but fails during write) (2X)

Ready my full post (Search for "Norm"):
    http://vcdhelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=51&Search=Search&list=

Will post more in a few days when my "disc orders" arrive.
    "<!_NORM_!>"
    Quote Quote  
  30. Have anyone tried this:

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/DVD-RCOMBO-princo.html

with DRU-500A? Sounds too cheap to be true.

When you say it's bad/good, have you tried it with standalone players (both major types: Japanese[Sony,Pioneer,...] and Chinese[Apex,Sampo,...] as they are usually quite different in the sensitivity level).
    Quote Quote