VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I get my new Sony DRU500A DVD Burner Friday (stupid CC sold the only one they had left that I had reserved, now they have to ship me one). Anyways I have a lot of raw 4:3 NTSC .avi captured files that I want to now store on DVD-R's and play on a 16:9 widescreen 50" TV played via a DVD-R compatible DVD Player.

I was thinking of compressing them to SVCD using TMPGEnc but was curious what everyone else is doing. I figure the 4:3 format may not look good on a 16:9 screen. After reading through many posts, I wanted to get a bit of a jump on the burning process and wanted your opinions on how to burn DVD-R's to play on a 50" 16:9 screen:

1. What program you are using to edit/crop the large avi files.
    2. What program you are using to compress/encode them and burn them to DVD-R's
    3. What program you are using to add menus, can you add animated menus. If so please elaborate a little.

I was thinking of using TMPGEnc to encode to DVD 720x480 but then I am only allowed 120min on one DVD-R. I am trying to optimze the best picture versus the smallest size. I was thinking if I could encode to 640x480 that would give me the best balance. Thanks in advance.

rhuala

PS. By the way, VirtualDub does not work proply with my Windows XP system...

---system---
    Windows XP Pro
    AMD 1700+, 512MB RAM
    MSI Geforce 4 Ti4400, Latest detonator drivers
    Creative Soundblaster Live
    MSI K7T266 Pro2 Motherboard, Latest 4-in-1 drivers
    60GB Hard Drive, ATA66
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off for now stick to the standard resolutions for DVD 720x480, 704x480 or 352x480. 120 minutes/disk is a suggested size, not a case in stone number, as it all depends on your bitrate. So if you feel that you TV source does not have the highest quality I would recomment 352x480 ( don't worry it will look correct on the tv ).

DO NOT attempt to 16:9 your TV caps it will just screw them up.

What you want to do is learn about VBR DVD Mpeg-2 encoding. I suggest first searching the forum to find more info. Basicly a 4.7gb DVD-R can hold between 1.5-4 hrs of video, it all depends on what type of quality you demand.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VDub works great for me and I have a 42" widescreen toshibs + prog scan DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. sonwmoon is right, if your source is from tv, vhs or analog camcorder, stick to 352 * 480. If its from DV cam then 720 * 480 (DV Cam resolution) would be better. Encode to DVD standard mpeg-2 with Tmpgenc or CCE for best quality, using 2-pass (TmpGenc) or 3-pass (CCE) VBR.

Don't forget you have to author to DVD format also and this can have a big impact on what you can get on the DVD. From other posts I have read on here it seems the Sony DVD burner is shipped with Sonics MyDvd. This authoring App has one very big drawback in that it insists on converting the audio to uncompressed PCM, massivley increasing the file size and so reducing the amount of video you can get on one DVD (for a given video bitrate). I would strongly susgest you investigate other options here such as the Ulead products or Dazzle DVD complete. Find one that will allow you to use .mp2 compressed audio like these. Then you can get 2 hours on a DVD at an average bitrate of about 4000kbps. With PCM audio you will only get about 90mins at this rate.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ya that does help, just out of curiousity what are you using for your min and max rates for your 2 pass VBR settings? Also, what settings are u using for compressed sound (224 kbits/s) is that really necessary? Can it be compared to 128 kbps (44kHz) used for mp3's or are am I talking apples and oranges here? Thanks

rhuala
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mpeg audio used on DVD's is Mpeg-1 layer2 vs mp3 Mpeg-1 layer3.

The phycoaccoustic modeling used in mp3's are far superior than those of mp2's. You can reduce the bitrate down to 128, but it would be like reducing a mp3 down to 64-96, sure it CAN be done, but we are taking DVD here.

Personally with a good encoder ( besweet, toolame ) 192 is just as good as 224 in most other encoders, 160 you can get away with for TV. I would only use 128 as a last resort or for simple audio ( talking with little music ).
    Quote Quote  
  7. The audio I usually encode ast 384, just to be sure its as good as poss tho its probably overkill. Video, when encoding with 2-pass VBR I use Min 2000, Max 8000 and average as high as poss for the length of the movie. (4000 for 2hours or so)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Have a look in the tools section of this site. Download a bitrate calculator & work out the best bitrates for yourself.
    Quote Quote