VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally ordered a DVD burner from Dell (DRU500A). I would like to author DVDs with menus and chapters as I do currently with VCDEasy as described here: http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/userguides/84327.php . I like being able to have total control of the menu appearance (using Photoshop) as well as chapter points and interactivity. Too bad VCDEasy doesn't do DVDs!
    Can someone recommend software that can do this? Please don't say DVD Maestro cuz I can't get it! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I, too, have the Sony Dru500A on order from Dell. After waiting nearly a month, I gave up and bought one from CompUSA this past weekend. The drive comes with an assortment of software, including Sonic MyDVD. I am presently trying to use this software. I captured .AVI files using VirtualDub (capturing from a VHS tape), converted these to mpeg2 (.mp2 and .wav) using Canopus ProCoder, and imported these files into Sonic MyDVD. So far I have found two problems with MyDVD

1. It does not do AC3 audio (dolby digital). You can only have PCM sound on your DVD.

2. If you edit the MP2 files inside of the MyDVD program, the sound gets scrambled. Sound playback is scrambled for about 1 to 2 minutes from where you trimmed the .MP2 file.

Setting up simple chapters and menus is fairly straight forward. Much easier than DVDMaestro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try out DVD Workshop. You can use it to encode the AVIs or encode outside and author without re-encoding. It will take AC3 sound, but you have to mux the video and audio outside in order for it to take it (use the TMPGEnc utility). Pretty easy to use, IMO.

The only problem is that it can be tricky to find where you want to put chapter points. You have to note the time in your editing program, and then enter the time to jump to the spot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was using DVDit! but I ran into the same pcm audio problem that mtgoat did. I capture directly to dvd compliant mpeg2 with 48khz mpeg1 layer II audio and I didn't want to have to transcode it or deal with the extra space that pcm audio takes (around a gig per 2 hour disc for me).

I am now using Dazzle DVD Complete.

Good things?
    -It supports mpeg1 Layer II audio as long as it's 48khz
    -It does a great job of building labels and menus using the built in templates
    -You can create a custom look for your menus using their custom DVD template. I haven't used it yet so I don't know how customizeable it is.
    -It's been really stable for me. I had an a/v sync issue (listed below) but outside of that it's been rock solid. No coasters and no crashes on XP.
    -They have a really slick auto scene creation feature.

Downsides?
    -I had problems with A/V sync when it had to transcode the audio on a file from 44.1 to 48 khz
    -Dazzle support has been poor for me. Bad response time (I've waited an average of a week for each of the 4 emails responses) and to date they have been denying there is a problem.
    -It takes a lot of space to create the DVD image (12 gig for a full 4 gig burn) and it doesn't cleanup after itself.
    -It demuxes files right when they are imported instead of doing it when it's building and burning the DVD, waiting for this is kind of a pain.

Dispite the problems listed above I really like the app. I paid $99 which seemed a bit high but I believe they are running a special for $69 or $79.

Al
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    -Dazzle support has been poor for me. Bad response time (I've waited an average of a week for each of the 4 emails responses) and to date they have been denying there is a problem.

You are lucky! The normal wait is 3 weeks! And then the halfwits just ask another question, one that you already answered. They are a bunch of IDIOTS! And denying any problems is the first thing they do, even if there really is a problem. IMO they should be ejected from this country, have their business shut down, and never allowed to attempt to write code again! end of rant

If you want something really easy to use, try DVD Movie Factory. After that I would suggest DVD Workshop.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have only made a few dvd-rs ( I am also new to a dvd burner) but have made quite a few vcds via VCDEasy.
    The DVD authoring software I used was Cyberlink PowerDirector I found it very easy to understand and I was very pleased with the output.

My own background (not a default boring picture), audio for the menu (again of my choosing). selectable chapter points with images. Plus you can preview the outcome before you burn so you can go back and make changes if you need to.

Hope this helps you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Nolonemo
    Try out DVD Workshop. You can use it to encode the AVIs or encode outside and author without re-encoding. It will take AC3 sound, but you have to mux the video and audio outside in order for it to take it (use the TMPGEnc utility). Pretty easy to use, IMO.

The only problem is that it can be tricky to find where you want to put chapter points. You have to note the time in your editing program, and then enter the time to jump to the spot.
    How do you stop it reencoding I don't see an option for that when I click on make disc I get the following options

I dont see an option for do not reencode. I have already encoded with TMPGEng, so I dont want to do it again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just checked uleads website and they state that if the bitrate selected is higher than that of the existing mpeg file, that DVD workshop will not reencode. I encoded my file with at 7000 VBR so I set DVD workshops bitrate under the custom settings to 9000 CBR. When I start it is still converting the file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by craigtucker
    I just checked uleads website and they state that if the bitrate selected is higher than that of the existing mpeg file, that DVD workshop will not reencode. I encoded my file with at 7000 VBR so I set DVD workshops bitrate under the custom settings to 9000 CBR. When I start it is still converting the file.
    I'm not quite sure, but I believe the exact oposite would hold true. If the selected bitrate is lower than that of the already encoded mpeg, then it would not re-encode. That would make more sense to me anyhow.
    Either way, try checking "Do not convert compliant file" under the Make Disc menu and see if that corrects your problem. That option may only be applicable to version 1.2 though.
    Quote Quote  
  10. When using DVD WorkShop you need to apply the V1.2 (now V1.3) patch from ulead.com to get the "Do not convert compliant files" on the Make Disk page. The patch does not work with the trial version. DVDWS with the V1.3 patch applied will accept elemental streams but not AC3. DVDWS will accept mpeg 2 files with ac3 audio and author fine. To get the ac3 audio to play in DVDWS locate the DVDWS.ini file and open with NotePad and change ac3=0 to ac3=1. I use Besweet to convert the wav to ac3 (Dolby Digital 2 channel) and remux with TMPGEnc.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Lamont,

I just did a search for DVDWS.INI on my system and came up with no results. What folder is this file hiding in?

I got my 1.3 update from ADS' site rather than direct from Ulead (Ulead's site still had 1.2). Might this be part of the reason the ini file isn't showing up on my system?

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by dyrewolfe
    Originally Posted by craigtucker
    I just checked uleads website and they state that if the bitrate selected is higher than that of the existing mpeg file, that DVD workshop will not reencode. I encoded my file with at 7000 VBR so I set DVD workshops bitrate under the custom settings to 9000 CBR. When I start it is still converting the file.
    I'm not quite sure, but I believe the exact oposite would hold true. If the selected bitrate is lower than that of the already encoded mpeg, then it would not re-encode. That would make more sense to me anyhow.
    Either way, try checking "Do not convert compliant file" under the Make Disc menu and see if that corrects your problem. That option may only be applicable to version 1.2 though.
    This is taken directly from uleads website, and this is for version 1.0. So it should be possible not to reencode with this version.

Q4: When creating titles using the Make Disc command, why does Ulead DVD Workshop always re-encode my MPEG files?

A4: DVD Workshop will re-encode the MPEG file when the specified encoding bit rate in Make Disc is lower than the encoding bit rate used by the original file. If you want to retain the original encoding scheme of your file, you must specify a higher encoding bit rate than your original encoding bit rate in Make Disc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Robert Simandl
    Hi Lamont,

I just did a search for DVDWS.INI on my system and came up with no results. What folder is this file hiding in?

I got my 1.3 update from ADS' site rather than direct from Ulead (Ulead's site still had 1.2). Might this be part of the reason the ini file isn't showing up on my system?

Thanks...
    What OS are you running? DVDWS.INI is a hidden file. Do you have Show hidden files under Folder Options checked?

You can get the V1.3 patch from ulead.com now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by craigtucker
    This is taken directly from uleads website, and this is for version 1.0. So it should be possible not to reencode with this version.

Q4: When creating titles using the Make Disc command, why does Ulead DVD Workshop always re-encode my MPEG files?

A4: DVD Workshop will re-encode the MPEG file when the specified encoding bit rate in Make Disc is lower than the encoding bit rate used by the original file. If you want to retain the original encoding scheme of your file, you must specify a higher encoding bit rate than your original encoding bit rate in Make Disc.
    Hmmm. Well, the "Do not convert compliant file" in v1.2 or higher seems to be the only option that worksfor me. With 1.2, I just tried to compile a disc and regardless of the quality settings I choose, it still insists on converting if I dont have the convert compliant file option checked.
    My files are encoded with CCE 2400-2800 VBR (0 min 8500 max) on average so I can squeeze up to 4 hours on one DVD-R.
    Perhaps DVDWS is very picky on what it considers a compliant file, so therefore tries to convert unless you specifically tell it not to (with the option in 1.2)?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston
    What OS are you running? DVDWS.INI is a hidden file. Do you have Show hidden files under Folder Options checked?

You can get the V1.3 patch from ulead.com now.
    Thanks Lamont, I had XP show the hidden files and it popped right up. Any differences between Ulead's 1.3 patch and ADS' 1.3 patch?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Robert Simandl
    Any differences between Ulead's 1.3 patch and ADS' 1.3 patch?
    There is no difference that I have found other than the file lengths differ by a few hundred bytes.

If you want access to the MainConcept encoder options add ADVANCE=1 under [VIODRIVER] in dvdws.ini. It has limitations that you will discover.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Lamont :
    1 - Is the 1.3 update available from Ulead's site ? Last time I checked it was 1.2 update , although the main page said it was 1.3
    2 - Did you have any problems using Mpeg audio instead of AC3 ? Some people say old DVD players won't accept mpeg audio ....
    3 - Ulead DVDWS forums are not pretty active . I have a lot of stuff posted without answers. Topics as : "Active Motion Button" , "Bacground Music Looping" , "Motion Menu Loop" , etc ... Would you like to discuss that ? Some of these I also posted here at vcdhelp forum.
    4 - You talked MainConcept encoder ( I really don't know about it ). I found MainVision from their web site, which is pretty good for generating animations to be used as motion background.

About reencoding : yes, you have to set the bitrate higher than that of your Mpeg2 file. Another cause for DVDWS to reencode your Mpeg2 is TRIM . Any trimming should be done outside DVDWS or else it will reencode your video file.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Lula1
    Any trimming should be done outside DVDWS or else it will reencode your video file.
    Of course, that's it, why didn't I think of that. Thanks Lula1
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Lula1
    Hi,

Lamont :
    1 - Is the 1.3 update available from Ulead's site ? Last time I checked it was 1.2 update , although the main page said it was 1.3
    2 - Did you have any problems using Mpeg audio instead of AC3 ? Some people say old DVD players won't accept mpeg audio ....
    3 - Ulead DVDWS forums are not pretty active . I have a lot of stuff posted without answers. Topics as : "Active Motion Button" , "Bacground Music Looping" , "Motion Menu Loop" , etc ... Would you like to discuss that ? Some of these I also posted here at vcdhelp forum.
    4 - You talked MainConcept encoder ( I really don't know about it ). I found MainVision from their web site, which is pretty good for generating animations to be used as motion background.
    The !.3 update is available at the ulead.com web site. There were problems at forst but they have been corrected.

I have not had any problems the mpeg audio. I personally think the ac3 sounds better. Yes, I have heard that some of the 'old' stand-alone DVD players won't play mpeg 1 layer 2 audio. I have not run into any DVD Players that won't play mpeg 1 layer 2 audio. If the stand-alone DVD player will play a VCD it will play mpeg 1 layer 2 audio. Others will argue mpeg 1 layer 2 audio does not meet the NTSC DVD spec. In the strict sense that is true but DVD players are not designed to enforce the DVD specs and reject your DVD because it does not also have one Dolby Digital or PCM audio track. I don't use PCM audio because the max DVD Video Data Rate is 9.8 Mb/s and PCM takes 1.6Mb/s leaving you with 8 mb/s and all the additional disk space PCM uses.

Ask your questions and I will try to answer what I can. You may want to start a seperate thread.

MainConcept is the author of the mpeg encoder that DVDWS uses, as well as all other Ulead products that need a mpeg encoder. If you use the mpeg encoder in DVDWS the Advance = 1 option can be nice to have if you capture VFWor DV Type 2 where the firled order may not be bottom field first. With access to the advanced options in the encoder you can change the field order.
    Quote Quote  
  20. How does the mainconcept encoder is DVD workshop compare to tmpgenc for mpeg2, in terms of encoding time and quality.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by craigtucker
    How does the mainconcept encoder is DVD workshop compare to tmpgenc for mpeg2, in terms of encoding time and quality.
    mpeg 2 quality is a very subjective topic. That said, IMHO the MainConcept Encoder in DVDWS is faster but of lower quality than TMPGEnc. The MainConcept stand-alone encoder does produce a mpeg2 that challanges TMPGEnc and is much faster. http://www.mainconcept.com/mpeg_encoder.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Lamont,

OK, I will post new topics with some questions.

Some of them are already posted on this forum, and I ask your attention and reply to the topics entitled :
    - Motion Backgrounds / Menus
    - Motion Menu Loop on DVD Workshop
    - Background Music and DVD Workshop

New topic will be entitled :
    - Active Motion Button on DVD Workshop

Are you using motion menus and/or motion buttons on your projects ?

As for encoding, I always use TMPGEnc. I think it is better than DVDWS's encoder. Anyway, thank's for the info on DVDWS.ini.

Thank's and keep in touch.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston

I have not had any problems the mpeg audio. I personally think the ac3 sounds better. Yes, I have heard that some of the 'old' stand-alone DVD players won't play mpeg 1 layer 2 audio. I have not run into any DVD Players that won't play mpeg 1 layer 2 audio. If the stand-alone DVD player will play a VCD it will play mpeg 1 layer 2 audio. Others will argue mpeg 1 layer 2 audio does not meet the NTSC DVD spec. In the strict sense that is true but DVD players are not designed to enforce the DVD specs and reject your DVD because it does not also have one Dolby Digital or PCM audio track.
    My ancient Sony 7000 DVD player will not play audio from DVD-R's with MPEG sound, even though it plays VCD audio fine and dandy. I went out and bought a new player to avoid having to use PCM sound and its accompanying huge file sizes.

Thanks for the tip on BeSweet. I'm going to try it and see what my Sony does with it. Do you know if it's possible to use AC-3 sound for the MENUS in DVD Workshop too, in addition to the movies themselves?

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Robert Simandl
    My ancient Sony 7000 DVD player will not play audio from DVD-R's with MPEG sound, even though it plays VCD audio fine and dandy. I went out and bought a new player to avoid having to use PCM sound and its accompanying huge file sizes.

Thanks for the tip on BeSweet. I'm going to try it and see what my Sony does with it. Do you know if it's possible to use AC-3 sound for the MENUS in DVD Workshop too, in addition to the movies themselves?

Thanks...
    DVDWS will not import AC3 audio. To the best of my knowledge menu audio is wav.
    Quote Quote