VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can top you all!I ordered mine on Oct.1.I was emailed on the 14th,I must call to say I did not want to cancel.The same evening I check order status,it says cancelled! I call the next morning and the CSR was very nice,said it was their mistake,she resubmitted the order on Dell.It was pushed back to Dec 24,but for free I can't kick! Well it showed under order status with "no charge" until the 23rd,then that got cancelled.I called and complained,it was the CSR that made the offer,it was not my idea! They resubmitted the order,3 hours later,guess what,yep cancelled a third time! I called back,I am promised delivery friday.I called today to reconfirm,they say the vendor confirmed it will ship overnight.I have
    ordered over $100,000 worth of systems from Dell in the last 2 years.I just got orders for 15 new systems.If Dell doesn't come through this time,Gateway will be my choice for this order.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Update: Placed my order online 10/07/2002. I have been given over 5 delivery dates. The last one was 12/31/2002. As of late last night the order status of my unit is showing shipped 10/30/2002. The tracking number is now working via UPS. The delivery date is today. You guys who are still waiting I would call DELL and ask for an additional 10% off. I suspect that you will get your unit soon, but DELL definately has know clue about customer service and they need to work on their online ordering situation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. First of all, my status is from the beginning "InProduction" on one page and on the other "Delayed Currently attempting to complete order". So no date at all and nobody on the phone can give me one.

I think we should do something about this. Let the world know how is dell dealing with customers. Create web site or send letters somewhere or something that will make them realize that this is not OK.
    Quote Quote  
  4. My order day 10/9/2002. I just received this email:
    =====================================
    We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to
    Ship your order sooner, we are experiencing an unexpected delay and we will not be able to ship your order until, on or before 11/29/2002. We need your consent to continue your order and build your system. Please be aware that unless we receive your consent by (11/04/02), 9PM central time, we are required by law to cancel your order and provide you with a prompt refund.

We are making an effort to contact you for your consent to continue your order. If we are unable to reach you, you can reach us at 1-877-868-3355 or US_DHS_Notify@Dell.com. Once we have received your consent, we will move forward your order. However, if your order has been shipped or if you have already received your system and this order number pretains to a promotional item, you may choose to have your system returned at our expense.

You are a valuable customer, and we are aware of the inconvenience and
    apologize for the delay.

Dell Computer Corporation
    ===============================
    Quote Quote  
  5. I did get my burner today, so now I need to return the other one to Circuit City. The DELL one I got for $248 total, and the one from Circuit City was $315 plus Tax. I placed the order on 10/7/2002 and was given the same story as most of you. Now I am looking for NERO 5.5.9.16 any ideas? Well if you have seen it let me know... I have been succesful burning on GQ DVD-R, Memorex DVD-R and Memorex DVD+R at 2.4. I can burn the DVD-R with Nero, but the DVD+R I use the recordnow software using and iso image I created from IFOedit.

ed
    Quote Quote  
  6. How did you get it at Circuit city for 315?
    Quote Quote  
  7. They match a local competitor advertising it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I tried 2 CC stores with my Dell order.

1. They didn't have any in store and they were confused. They offerd me ship one from Inventory for 299 (dell 271). I refused (stupid).

2. Very young girl told me without hesitation that they can't match Dell's order. Only local stores.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by donpedro
    I tried 2 CC stores with my Dell order.

1. They didn't have any in store and they were confused. They offerd me ship one from Inventory for 299 (dell 271). I refused (stupid).

2. Very young girl told me without hesitation that they can't match Dell's order. Only local stores.
    $299 from a retail store?? That would have been a steal.
    I got mine for $228 from Dell shipped free, but $299 from a retail store wow...

They are going for mid $350s on ebay, with plenty of time left in the respective auctions.
    I see one at $385 on ebay right now (26 bids)!!!
    Not sure why the bids are so high, when they are in stock and $371 with tax at CompUSA, CC and BestBuy?????? Also some online retailers may finally have them in stock for less.

We could have ordered as many as we wanted from Dell for $277 shipped free (on Oct 1) without any coupons!
    The danger is that if someone gets a decent supply and cuts the price, the sellers will be stuck with their extra burner(s)...
    I suppose some people may have taken that risk.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hey just wanted to let you guys know that Nero 5.5.9.17 is available from www.nero.de. It now supposedly supports the SOny DRU 500a

ed
    Quote Quote  
  11. I can tell a huge horror story about Dell, but I don't have the time. Long story short, I dealt with two problematic computers for a month with them. I got nothing but run-arounds, and Supposedl "Tech" people who don't know what they are doing. the right hand didnt' know what the left was doing!. Get this, they ahd the audacity to want to charge me a 15% return fee!!! this is after I had been on the phone with them for a month about the two bum computers. Also, if you do want to complain, you can't talk to anyone other than a Customer support Rep. They won't let you speak to anyone higher. Dell Sucks! a
    Originally Posted by marisag427
    new update: Dell calls me out of the blue - the guy who was trying to cancel my order yesterday. He gets an e-mail from shipping - they can't cancel because my order has shipped. He gives me a bogus tracking number of 20021009. I tell him that's a date and not a tracking number. He puts me on hold.

Apparently: Dell uses 3rd party vendors to stock items. They automatically give 30 days ship dates to back-orders so they can meet their dates without people panicing. So my order went to this 3rd party vendor 3 days ago and is definitely getting shipped today - even though there is a backlog, he insists that the vender got some last week and orders placed in the beginning of October are being fulfilled.

So he said I should receive a confirmation from Dell TODAY with my real tracking number.

Don't know if I believe this for now, but I'll let you know in a few days. Now why didn't the sales guy tell me this 10 minutes ago?

I know one thing, I will never order from them again!!
    Paul(frustrated and confused)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by dun4cheap
    Hey just wanted to let you guys know that Nero 5.5.9.17 is available from www.nero.de. It now supposedly supports the SOny DRU 500a

ed
    Thanks for the heads-up!
    Now just waiting for Stomp RecordNow Max 4.5
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dun4cheap
    Hey just wanted to let you guys know that Nero 5.5.9.17 is available from www.nero.de. It now supposedly supports the SOny DRU 500a

ed
    I am not sure what www.nero.de is. but it doesn't look like the right one. Anyway, I see 5.5.9.17 on www.nero.com

And I still don't see Sony DRU-500A on th list.
    http://www.nero.com/en/content2/recorderS.html#SONY
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can confirm what Penglar said. Called customer care again this evening since my order from 10/1 still hasn't shipped or changed status from in-production. The customer care person didn't even see my order until I gave her the original order number. She couldn't do any price/shipping adjustments, couldn't tell when my order would ship, or even if it would ever ship. So basically she couldn't do anything so it must be a fun job. I wonder what their purpose is except to answer the phone. She eventually volunteered that maybe Customer Sales could do something. I was given a defunct number (800-879-3359) and then transferred back to the main menu. You can't speak to anybody higher and they can't help you. No explanations or remedy for their crappy performance. Their service sucks. I won't order from them again.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by donpedro
    Originally Posted by dun4cheap

ed
    I am not sure what www.nero.de is. but it doesn't look like the right one. Anyway, I see 5.5.9.17 on www.nero.com

And I still don't see Sony DRU-500A on th list.
    http://www.nero.com/en/content2/recorderS.html#SONY
    True, but there's no version later than 5.5.8.2 listed, so it's fair to say a LOT of drives aren't listed yet.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well,to follow up my post,I got another delayed email! I was asked if I wanted to cancel.It is free,why would I cancel it? The dumb part is they have to bill me $348 and then credit me within 5 days,the same amount.
    The real kicker is friday I recieved a statement from Dell.It was the credit for $348.I still have not been billed for the drive.So,I have no intention of cancelling.If they cancel,they are going to have a hard time getting the $348 back.I figure they might want to send my drive as soon as they can,since the can't bill me until they ship!
    By the way,I just placed an$18,000 order with the Cow company! I do not like the looks of the machines,but they aren't for me anyway.Dells
    reseller rating has gone from about 7 of 10 to about 4 in the last 6 months. I think Dell has developed the Microsoft mentality! Take the money,screw the customer!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Just thought I'd share my pain/rage.... As of now, Nov 04, my order is still "In Production". Needless to say I'll never order anything from Dell again and will recommend the same to my friends, family, and total strangers. I really hope Dell gets wind of this thread and realizes what they're doing to themself. Enough b*tching, my order confirmation is below.

Estimated Ship Date: on or before Oct 09, 2002
    You must be available to sign for your shipment when it is received. Although we do not anticipate a delay in your order, we occasionally run into unexpected delays in the manufacturing process. If this should happen, we will notify you and provide a revised estimated ship date.

Errors:
    Please note that Dell cannot be responsible for typographical or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel any orders resulting from such errors.

Order detail - order placed 10/4/02 12:23:51 PM

SONY CORPORATION
    2.4X/2.4X DVD+R/RW / 4X/2X DVD-R/RW / 8X DVD-ROM DRU500A Dual DVD Burner & CD-RW Drive Qty: 1 Unit Price: 312.95

Sub-Total $312.95

Discount -$59.46

Shipping $7.00

Shipping Discount -$7.00

Tax $12.67

Total Price $266.16
    I'm so happy because today I found my friends, they're in my head.
    Quote Quote  
  18. well, airborne lost my drive - or at least it was 'misrouted' . So it arrived in my town on friday morning and I was supposed to get it by 5 pm. But it never showed up.

I called on saturday and they said it was accidentally routed wrong and it's back at the warehouse. maybe I'll get it on Monday (today), or sometime next week. I argued with them on the phone that I expected someone to drive it out to me that day, but they said it was too late, the trucks were gone and no one was going back to get my package. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with them and they p*ssed me off. I basically told her that it sucked that they felt they could deliver it whenever they felt like it, even when I paid for 2-day air. She said I could try and get resolution through dell - yeah right.

Eventually she said I could pick it up by noon (it was after 11), but she'd have to find out which center it was at and would have to get back to me. Needless to say, in less than an hour, with a 9 month old, there was no way I could make it to pick it up. She said I had to make a choice - mark it for pick-up, or wait til next week. I basically yelled at the woman on the phone, told her I was never using airborne for anything ever again, and then hung up on her.

Maybe I'll see it today, maybe not. I really hate inefficiencies like this! Why can't companies back up their services any more? It's basically a free-for-all out there.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Look at the bright side, you almost can feel it in your hands. The drive definately kicks butt... Besides it gave you a few more days with the baby. Cause you have a new baby coming...
    Quote Quote  
  20. lol - good point!
    Quote Quote  
  21. If you ordered on October 1, I may have helped you out. I noticed that my Sku number for my October 1 order is different than for the orders that have been shipped. The Sku for my order is 922642-4. I saw someone else had a Sku of 450623 and the item is currently listed as A0060843. I had a customer service rep check it out, and she said that Sku 922642-4 was never activated, so it wasn't linked to any item. She submitted a form to activate that Sku. I'll give it another week and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Well.... a lot of people are writing that they will never order from Dell, but I bet if they will start selling this drive for $220 for example. All of us will be there again and they will do the same thing. My was ordered on 10/9 and latest NOT-TO-SHIP-DATE is 11/29. I hope that I will be able to burm my Christmas 2002 DVD soon.
    Quote Quote  
  23. well, good news and more good news.

The drive arrived yesterday and I have a few comments about it:

- it installed flawlessly (on WinXP)
    - MyDVD is very easy to use (kinda cool actually)
    - Tried to burn twice on a Verbatim DVD-R 2X and it failed, but I was expecting that since I bought my dvd's in the beginning of October. Will be having them replaced as they are the defective ones.
    - Burned successfully a Memorex DVD-R and it played on 3 DVD players - Samsung M301, Sony 650D, Panasonic LA95. It didn't work on my laptop Thinkpad, T23, but then I realized I had no dvd playing software on it, so that's probably the case...

I only expect to use DVD-R for home videos and stuff. it's compatible with my DVD players and my family's as well.

Will try all formats eventually just to see how it works.
    Quote Quote  
  24. And I tought that you have inside information from Dell that they received new shippment into inventory. That would be good news.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Well, it worked. I received a UPS tracking number today, two days after I pointed out the Sku problem to Dell. Hopefully, the rest of you guys that ordered on October 1 will get yours as well.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good work @RyanD. I odered on 10/01, I had the same sku number as you did. Checked dell web site tonight. And it shipped today with tracking number for UPS should be here tomorrow. Thanks alot for point out problem to dell with sku problem. Can't wait for the weekend
    May the force be with you.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by RyanD
    Well, it worked. I received a UPS tracking number today, two days after I pointed out the Sku problem to Dell. Hopefully, the rest of you guys that ordered on October 1 will get yours as well.
    That is probably just a coincidence. Yours happened to ship a few days after you mentioned it...

The SKUs are apparently supposed to be different according to what a Dell CSR told me.

I, like you, was going to mention the SKU problem on Oct 28 to them, but before calling, I checked and my drive had shipped that day...
    The same thing probably happened to you.

Anyway, enjoy the drive!
    I am happy with mine so far
    Quote Quote  
  28. Ordering from Dell is like playing the lottery. You only hope you have the winning numbers. Love my drive guys. It burns well.

ed
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, my drive shipped on 11/6 too and was one of the original 10/1 orders.

I fought with Dell by going to department to department and it was basically a waste of time. I talked SKU numbers, part numbers & such with the Software & Periphs dept and got the impression that orders may have been assigned a specific SKU which corresponded with a warehouse & supplier but they had no idea which ones would have drives and which ones wouldn't . Maybe none of them did at the time of order so a random one was chosen. Then later orders were assigned a SKU where there were actual drives rather than randomly until the inventory dried up. That might explain the bizarre queuing. And finally some of us who ordered on 10/1 won the SKU lottery and got drives shipped yesterday.

Everybody I talked to always said that they showed no drives anywhere in their system. And most everybody I talked to claimed that they couldn't modify the order in anyway even if changing the SKU would get me a drive sooner. The canned response was always an apology, ignorance of why certain orders didn't go out, when they would go out, or even if they would ever go out. And there was almost always an offer to cancel the order. Some times I was told they would place a note to expedite the order. This was done multiple times but since successive tries showed no indication of the previous, I doubt anything was done. It's the most frustrating experience I've had short of dealing with the phone company. It was similar in some ways because I'd be given numbers which weren't active, transferred to departments which were wrong, ping ponged between departments, given extention numbers which would bounce back to the originating department; it goes on an on.

E-mail was even worse. It almost always resulted in a form letter response which never addressed a single issue but always gave the option to cancel the order. The last such response I got even after the drive had shipped. In the end, I don't think I had any impact but know for sure I'll never order from Dell again.

Now it's in the hands of UPS. Hopefully I get it Friday or early next week and it will have been worth it. I almost ordered a Pioneer 105 today before checking the Dell status again.
    Quote Quote  
  30. If I hadn't gotten my drive already, I'd be really p'd right now - I almost got one at a gateway store that was selling them and had them in stock ($324) the same day I had mine shipped too.

I just wanted to say for those of you still waiting, it's worth it. The drive is awesome and so far I've had no problems with it (except the recalled verbatim discs) If you can't wait, get the drive at a store, but don't switch brands. You may regret it.

Now, if only I can find more time to burn!
    Quote Quote