1) You can easily identify XviD AVIs by playing them - they start with
    a green screen followed by black screen and then:

a) if you have XviD codec installed - by movie
    itself
    b) if you haven't - by black screen

(As XviD codec is still under development some latest XviD AVIs
    might not have the usual green screen/black screen starting
    sequence. In this case (if you suspect you have an XviD AVI) look
    in the file properties just to make sure.)

2) Here below (after point 6) you will find a set of settings i use to
    accomplish the above task in the fastest way possible

3) Of course, there are other ways to encode XviD to Mpeg1/2
    (VCD/SVCD) like Frameserving from Virtual Dub to TMPGEnc,
    however, my guide is for those that do not want to use
    Frameserving.

4) To get more info about XviD codec and to download it so that you
    can play your XviD AVIs visit the following link:
    http://www.divx-digest.com/software/xvid.html
    (Latest versions of Nimo Codec Pack also include XviD codec)

5) At the moment i am aware of following movies in AVI format that
    have been encoded using XviD:
    Enough, About A Boy, Peter Pan In Return To Neverland, Insomnia,
    Red Dragon, 40 Days And 40 Nights, Big Trouble, Sorority Boys,
    We Were Soldiers, The New Guy, The Rookie, The Specials,
    Sabretooth, Clockstoppers, Showtime, See No Evil Hear No Evil,
    Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatre, Austin Powers In Goldmember
    (French and English versions), Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of
    The Clones, Girl Fewer, Modern Warriors, The Adventures Of Pluto
    Nash, The Bourne Identity, Bend It Like Beckham, Barber Shop,
    Double Impact, Eight Legged Freaks, Face/Off, Lift, Minority Report,
    Reign Of Fire, The Scorpion King, Signs, Triggermen, Terror Toons,
    The Man From Elysian Fields, Undercover Brother, Windtalkers and
    some of the "Friends" series.

6) Please post your results to add more credibility to this guide.

===========================================
    And here it is:

1) Open TMPGEnc and press Cancel if Wizard pops up
    2) Go to Option->Environmental Setting...->VFAPI plug-in
    3) Adjust the plug-in priorities (this is done by right clicking on
    the plug-in and choosing Higher priority as many times as
    necessary) to match the following:

DirectShow Multimedia File Reader.......3
    AVI2(OpenDML) File Reader................1
    AVI VFW compatibility Reader.............0
    CyberLink MPEG-2 Decoder.................0
    Microsoft MPEG-1 Decoder.................0
    Wave File Reader..............................0
    BMP/PPM/TGA/JPG File Reader...........-2
    DVD2AVI Project File Reader 1.76+.....-2*
    TMPGEnc Project File Reader 2.58......-2*

4) Press OK
    5) Now you can load your XviD AVI into TMPGEnc just like any other
    AVI and encode as you wish.

============================================

* These plug-ins might not appear in your TMPGEnc, but it is not a problem since they do not play any role in encoding XviD AVIs to Mpeg1/2

Things to note when using this guide:

1) The resulting Mpeg1/2 file's playback might stutter/be jerky in
    your Windows Media Player but will be perfect in your DVD player.

2) I do not advise to do Framerate Conversion WHILE encoding XviD AVI
    to Mpeg1/2 in TMPGEnc by loading template with a framerate
    standard different to your source file's framerate due to the fact
    that TMPGEnc does lousy job at it and your resulting Mpeg1/2 might
    stutter/have jerky playback in your DVD player. Do the conversion
    BEFOREHAND using AviFrate or Virtual Dub for video and CoolEdit or
    BeSweet for audio (this is advisable for ALL your AVI framerate
    conversions not just XviD AVI).

3) Don't forget to change the settings back to defaults or to what
    they were before after you have finished your XviD->Mpeg1/2
    encoding.

That's All Folks!

Hope this helps!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    0 kewl,
    Why not frameserve? It's not that difficult and something everyone should learn how to do. It opens up endless options as far as applying filters is concerned and I've had zero problems with any Xvid files going this route.

*Edit*
    Warning! I'm baaaaaaaaack
    Quote Quote  
  3. You right - why not!!! I've never said you shouldn't - it is up to you. I only wanted to inform others that there is easier way - i thought i shouldn't keep it to myself - but i guess i was wrong...

What exactly did Baldrick take personally?

You meant this part, right?

4) Of course, there are "proper" ways to encode XviD to Mpeg1/2
    (VCD/SVCD) like Frameserving from Virtual Dub to TMPGEnc - this
    "guide" is for those that are lazy like me and do not want to
    use Frameserving.
    I only wrote "proper" to not to place this guide (i mean my guide) on the lower level - after all both ways are equally proper or "proper".
    And when i said "this "guide" is for those..." i meant MY guide.

If anyone's offended there is no problem here - i will remove it - i am not looking for fame

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    0 kewl,
    Sorry about the cheap shot ZeroKewl.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by 0 kewl
    NP 8)
    Does anyone know why my TMPG freezes up upon frameserve?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I am a newbie to encoding Xvids,all this is going over my head
    When i put my 8 Legged Freaks into Tmpg it come up with an error
    Cannot open or unsupported.What have I done wrong???

Please can you help me as it is driving me out of my head!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. To ichua2,

Ask Kayfam - he knows more about Frameserving, my guide doesn't describe this procedure.

To Dekka,

Did you follow my guide at the top of this page?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by kayfam
    0 kewl,
    Sorry about the cheap shot ZeroKewl.
    Hi
    Any idea why my TMPG freezes up upon frameserving?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry 0 kewl it was not my intention to highjack your thread.
    ichua2,
    Look at this guide about frameserving: http://www.vcdhelp.com/virtualdubframeserve.htm
    It covers this topic in great detail and explains it better than I could ever possible do here, besides anything I say would be redundant. Also a small tip, try using the search function next time. There is a wealth of information here thats only a few keystrokes away.
    Quote Quote  
  10. hi guys, i have an avi (not xvid though) - with ac3 encoded audio. when i convert to SVCD, it jerks from time to time in my dvd player. PLayback in windows is smooth but my question is whether using the settings you've out lined in this guide would make the jerking go away?
    would frameserving be another option?
    I know this is not entirely related to your guide but any help would be appreciated. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey 0 Kewl,
    Just wanted to thank you for the Xvid settings in TMPGEnc, It worked perfect first try! I would like to learn how to frameserve, but couldn't find a guide, so for now, your way is more than I need.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Has anyone had any experience with the audio of a speaking voice having a tinny after tone sound. I thought that I was just overdriving the original signal but after trying it at much lower levels, it still has that wierd sound. In music I can't hear it as well- maybe because it is masked more. I was just wondering if there is a fix for this digital kind of sound. My original file is a wave captured with a toaster card. Thanks for any help!
    Bill Rahn - PVS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by barahn
    Has anyone had any experience with the audio of a speaking voice having a tinny after tone sound. I thought that I was just overdriving the original signal but after trying it at much lower levels, it still has that wierd sound. In music I can't hear it as well- maybe because it is masked more. I was just wondering if there is a fix for this digital kind of sound. My original file is a wave captured with a toaster card. Thanks for any help!
    No offense man but you need to start a new thread for your question.
    Quote Quote  
  14. To PhillyBlunt,

Thank you for your feedback - it is really appreciated, it's great to know one more guy out there has one problem less.
    Regards Frameserving - why don't you read this thread more carefully and you will see that the link to Frameserving guide has been provided in my guide itself and by Kayfam too. But, just in case, here it is again:
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/virtualdubframeserve.htm

To Kayfam,

Thank you for trying to keep this thread within the subject - much appreciated.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  15. Sorry - Wrong area
    Bill Rahn - PVS
    Quote Quote  
  16. 0 Kewl,

Am I losing any quality by not frameserving? Your way is much quicker and easier, so I think I'll stick with that. Yesterday I was not prepared for AC3 sound or XViD and today I have it on VCD! Thanks to not only you, but this entire site
    Peace!
    Quote Quote  
  17. You certainly aren't losing any quality by using this guide and, as far as i know, frameserving will not improve the quality of the original AVI - only make it more acceptable to encoders like TMPGEnc.

We are just making sure KNOWLEDGE belongs to everyone who is willing to search for it - if you find/figure out something others are still trying to work out, SHARE.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Simple as ABC, followed each step and in no time was able to convert xvid into vcd. This site is really helping me a lot... personally! Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  19. can't wait to get back from work to try out if this conversion works out for me.
    One question is still left for me.
    I am used to extract sound in virtualdub and use that extracted wav in tempeng...
    is that not necessary for xvid?
    for divx you are supplosed to do it and for dvd ripping i am used to also do it!
    no sound problems?
    Quote Quote  
  20. There's nothing you are SUPPOSED to do, extracting audio isn't necessary for DivX nor XviD but it is highly ADVISABLE if you want to reduce the amount of problems you might encounter with audio. I personally extract audio every time i am not sure whether my AVI file has got bad frames or other errors that might lead to synch problems - which means i do it 95% of the time. In terms of extracting audio for loading it into TMPGEnc XviD is exactly like DivX, so if you prefer extracting audio every time you want to encode DivX to Mpeg1/2 then do the same for XviD.

Please post your results.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  21. hm i got some xvids here but i dont get a green/black screen in the beginning, the movie just starts..
    Quote Quote  
  22. There are 2 things i can think of to explain the absence of green/black screen in the beginning:

1) The beginning was cut off to save space (unlikely but possible)
    2) As the codec is still under heavy development the movies encoded using the latest beta version of XviD codec might not start with green/black screen anymore

In any case, there is more than one way to check if it is an XviD AVI, for example - looking in the file's properties.

The settings should still work as long as it is really an XviD AVI.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  23. extracting audio is exactly where my problems accur.

i start virtualdub 1.4.10
    i have nimo850 installed and an extra xvid codec! (don't have any problems to watch the movies with windvd or powerdvd)
    than do as follow:

file -> open video file...
    audio -> full processing mode
    audio -> conversion -> 44100 hZ + check high quality
    audio -> compression -> no compression
    file -> save wave

than following message box accurs:
    the requested audio compression is not compatible with the input file. chack that the sampling rate and channel count of the input match those of the requested format!

don't get it. that is the way i do it with divx and never had problems.
    do i have to choose a compression? if yes which one?

i tried it on showtime, grease, primal fear ... all xvid -> don't work
    please help me with the extracting of the audio. the conversion of the screen (without sound) with tempgenc worked fine!!

thanx alot
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dERBE_,
    I've seen that error countless times and it generally means the audio was encoded in ac3. In this case VirtualDub can't process the audio and what you have to do is select direct stream copy for the audio, save wave as "all files" and rename the file extention to .ac3. Make sure you save it as "all files" or VirtualDub will stick a wave header on it. Then you need to use a program such as the BeSweet GUI or HeadAC3he both of which are listed in the tools section to convert it out to wave format. Then load up that wave for the audio source in TMPGEnc and proceed as normal following 0 kewl's excellent guide.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks Kayfam

Just to add to it:

You CAN save it as .WAV and later rename it to .AC3 for processing in BeSweet, headac3he or ac3tool10 - to be able to rename the file without Windows adding the WAV file extension you need to go to My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View and uncheck the "Hide Extensions For Known File Types" box if it isn't already unticked. You can use this in the future to change the file names as you need. But for this particular problem just stick to what Kayfam said - that is a bit easier.

By the way dERBE_ - this isn't a XviD problem just in case you wonder, a lot of DivX movies come with AC3 for sound but you probably haven't come accross to it till now. If you need more step-by-step instructions on dealing with AC3 for audio look at this guide:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=91588&highlight=ac3

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For some reason these two options aren't on my screen when I go to change the priorities:

CyberLink MPEG-2 Decoder
    Microsoft MPEG-1 Decoder

Where can I get this at? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hmmm....that's interesting, try to download TMPGEnc again from here:

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

If these two plug-ins don't appear in this new TMPGEnc then set the priorities as per guide apart from (obviously) those two plug-ins and load your XviD AVI as any other AVI in your TMPGEnc and encode as you wish - it should still work as the missing plug-ins had neutral value settings in the above (guide) scenario to avoid possible problems when encoding XviD AVI, so if they are absent there should be no problem with setting everything else as it should be and going ahead with encoding.

That's, of course, if your only concern is encoding XviD AVIs. Otherwise you still might (and most likely will) need those plug-ins anyway for encoding from/to other different file types.

I have 2.58.44.152 and 2.57.41.146 versions of TMPGEnc and they both have these plug-ins, maybe it is different in other versions.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi everyone,

I have an interesting problem with TMPGEnc. When I try to change the priority settings under the VFAPI tab, it will let me do it, but when I click OK to apply the changes TMPGEnc freezes and I have to control-alt-delete it to close it. When I start it up again, the changes weren't saved.

I know that these questions are the hardest to answer because it could be any number of things specific to my computer. Does anyone have any ideas anyway?

Thanks,

CobraDMX
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Grime,
    I agree with 0 kewl. As far as I know those options are only available in the last 2 releases of TMPGEnc so I'd download the latest (2.58.44.152 to be exact) and that should fix your problem.

CobraDMX,
    The old and tried true method, try reinstalling TMPGEnc and see if the problem still exists. If it does then you've got some kind of conflict going on elsewhere in your system. Without knowing more on what other applications you have installed it is difficult to pin point.
    Quote Quote