VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Oh yeah - I also have the latest xvid codec installed, so I don't think that's an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks so much. I had a file TMPGEnc was having a lot of trouble with but your instructions made everything run smooth.

Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by gwonel
    I downloaded the 24 eps which are in "xvid-fov" format. I tried the xvid->vcd easy way and used the suggested values, and TMPGEnc (v. Plus 2.5) freezes right away. So then I tried to use VirtualDub (v. 1.4.10) and it won't open the .avis, saying it "can't determine the file type." Please give me a suggestion for what to try next. Are these just bad files? Does someone want me to send you one so you can see what's up with it?
    XviD-fov? Is that just a file name (i.e. somebody renamed the file) or a format? Check the properties of your AVI to determine which codec was used. Are you encoding to Mpeg1 or 2? Freezing in TMPGEnc and VD not accepting them might point to bad files or incorrect file extensions. Bad files - fix them (DivFix) or download new ones, incorrect extensions - use Gspot to determine the correct format and change the extension.

If still having problems, send me a fragment of it and i will check what's wrong with it (email address is in my profile, send file no bigger than 1.5MB).

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks O kewl. Worked like a charm.
    Still needed to extract the wav file for sound.
    Only question is, you mentioned turning back the settings in VFAPI.
    What are the default settings?
    Dumb me forgot to write them down.
    Should I be keeping 2 instances of CurrentCfg.tpr or TMPGENC.ini for eg.?
    Thanks for all the help here...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Right-click on the selected plug-in in VFAPI plug-in window and choose Reset to recommended setting.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  6. O KEWL
    Cheer's for your advise i got a better copy but went 1 step further i formatted my hard-drive re-installed everyting and hey presto jobs a gooden.

Cheers once again
    Quote Quote  
  7. Can someone help me after using this method after TMPGENC starts to encode the movie it freezez at 11 minutes
    Quote Quote  
  8. Alright I ran Divfix and it borught up the errors that are in my xvid what do I do now?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Fix your file as described in this guide.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi there!

I've converted several DivX videos into SVCD and never had any problems. But this Xvid codec turns me completely mad. I've changed the plug-in settings in TMPGEnc, but my computer still crashes at random frames. I've tried frameserving from Virtual Dub, but nevertheless I'm expecting the same problems. Does anybody have a reason?

BTW: I'm still trying to get the best results in quality when converting into SVCD. Please tell me about your settings in TMPGEnc, especially which rate control mode do you prefer (2-pass VBR, CQ etc.). How do you calculate the bitrates to get near the 800MB file-size (80min CD-R)? The bitrate-calculator doesn't give useful results.

Thanks for your suggestions. Greetz,
    Hector
    Quote Quote  
  11. It sounds like your XviD AVI file has got some bad frames. Use DivFix or Virtual Dub to fix them.

I prefer 2-pass VBR when encoding to SVCD. As for the other settings - i would advise you to experiment with them to suit your own taste since the quality that is acceptable to me might not be acceptable to you and vice versa.

Bitrate? I usually encode 2 small (1 minute long) fragments of the movie first (using the same bitrate settings for both); one with little or no action at all and the other one with a lot of movement. Divide the total size of the two files by 2 and multiply by the length of the movie in minutes. Then i adjust my bitrate settings (usually the average bitrate) depending on the result. Works quite good for me but you can find some quite precise bitrate calculators in the Tools section on your left.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well, I've checked my Xvid twice, first with DivXFix and then with Virtual Dub. Both of them didn't respond any errors. I don't think that the AVI-file is corrupted, because my system crashes at totally random frames.
    Now I'm experiencing new problems: sometimes the encoded MPEG2-stream's stuttering in motion sequences, even the playback in my DVD-Player. I'm getting very frustrated.

BTW: I'm using the latest version of TMPGEnc and the Xvid codec.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have not tryed to encode my xViD .avi movie of "bloodworks" yet. I do not have the cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder plug-in but i do have everything else.....having that will let me convert my xvid compressed avi to mpeg-2 compression?? I want to convert my movie to mpeg-2 which is better then mpeg-1....or is it not worth it?? is it not that much better?? i don't care about how long it takes or how much work i have to do....i just want the best quality possible. is mpeg1 vcd quality?? and mpeg2 svcd quality?? please help...thanx for your time....also, should i convert to mpeg-2 with audio too or should i do the audio with another program like virtualdub??

-dave
    Quote Quote  
  14. First thanks for the info on how to convert these files. Delete a few before I knew what the deal was My question is.... is there anything beside this that we have to do differently. I cut my files in vdub. There doesn't seem to be a problem when I cut the file but I really am getting sick of the time I waste on lack on information. So before I begin the encoding process. I would like to be sure that there is nothing else I need to do. Thanks much
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Sorry guys. I found my answer in this forum. Sorry to waste space. Thanks again for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Hexhector
    Well, I've checked my Xvid twice, first with DivXFix and then with Virtual Dub. Both of them didn't respond any errors. I don't think that the AVI-file is corrupted, because my system crashes at totally random frames.
    Does your system crash only when encoding XviD AVI files? Could it be CPU overheating related problem? What Mpeg 2 plug-in is your TMPGEnc using?

Originally Posted by Hexhector
    Now I'm experiencing new problems: sometimes the encoded MPEG2-stream's stuttering in motion sequences, even the playback in my DVD-Player. I'm getting very frustrated.
    Is this happening only to XviD->Mpeg 2 files? This could be related to incorrect framerate, high bitrate or unsupported Mpeg 2 plug-in. Check that your XviD framerate corresponds to your Mpeg 2 framerate (if not - use the framerate conversion guide (link to it can be found in my guide) before loading your AVI into TMPGEnc), check your player's maximum acceptable bitrate (see DVD Players section on your left) and check which Mpeg 2 plug-in is used by your TMPGEnc.

Originally Posted by Hexhector
    BTW: I'm using the latest version of TMPGEnc and the Xvid codec.
    I would advise you to use 2.58 version of TMPGEnc as the latest version is known to have some bugs (like same file size whether selecting non-standard or standard Mpeg 1 encoding option when using the "The newbies guide to fitting a movie on one CD using TMPGEnc" guide). This may well be the root of your problems.

Originally Posted by NYTino20
    I do not have the cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder plug-in but i do have everything else.....having that will let me convert my xvid compressed avi to mpeg-2 compression??
    You have to have some kind of Mpeg 2 plug-in to encode to SVCD. If you have successfully encoded to Mpeg 2 before, set the used plug-in's priority to 0.

I want to convert my movie to mpeg-2 which is better then mpeg-1....or is it not worth it?? is it not that much better??
    Normally Mpeg 2 is of better quality than Mpeg 1 but it depends on bitrate and settings you choose when encoding your file. You have to decide for yourself whether it is worth it or not as the quality acceptable to me might not be acceptable to you. Most of the time you will have to choose whether to go for the best quality or the least amount of space (CDR/RWs) your file will occupy or some kind of compromise.

is mpeg1 vcd quality?? and mpeg2 svcd quality??
    Yes and yes.

also, should i convert to mpeg-2 with audio too or should i do the audio with another program like virtualdub??
    I usually extract audio using Virtual Dub for loading into TMPGEnc separately to avoid possible audio sync issues. However, some people prefer not to do so for exactly the same reason. So again, it is your choice...

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi 0 kewl!

Probably you're right. A few weeks ago I have had some system instability problems. My memory module wrecked and my Athlon XP 1700+ looked like it overheated. For this reason I've mounted a modified heatsink and several fans in the case to improve the air-flow. Now the CPU is running at a temperature of 107°F. I've installed TMPGEnc v2.58 as you mentioned and started MP2-encoding. The encoding-process finished without any problems for this time. I'll try to convert two or three different Xvid AVI files and I'll post the results afterwards.

Greetz,
    Hector
    Quote Quote  
  18. the method works almost perfectly! thanks!
    Just one stupid question... when i changed the VFAPI plug-in priority settings within the environmental settings, i forgot to write down how they should be in order to convert a normal DivX... but now i want to convert a normal DivX... anybody can help me? thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi.
    Question.. I set the settings per your instruction. Loaded the movie (die another day). Started and got a green gobbled screen with the movie playing in the background. I encoded for about 2 min. and watch what I had....I had just what I saw. What am I supposed to be seeing. What is wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  20. There is also a warning about the film being coded to prevent encoding. I assumed that adjusting the plug-in would take care of that. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by nikopiz
    ...when i changed the VFAPI plug-in priority settings within the environmental settings, i forgot to write down how they should be in order to convert a normal DivX... but now i want to convert a normal DivX... anybody can help me? thanks!
    Sorry for the late reply, i'd assume you've sorted this out by now.... If not:

DirectShow Multimedia File Reader -1
    AVI VFW compatibility Reader -2
    The rest of them all set on 0

(Although you might want to keep your DirectShow plug-in on high priority to enable TMPGEnc to handle AVI files better)

Originally Posted by rickki804
    Question.. I set the settings per your instruction. Loaded the movie (die another day). Started and got a green gobbled screen with the movie playing in the background. I encoded for about 2 min. and watch what I had....I had just what I saw. What am I supposed to be seeing. What is wrong?
    Have you installed the latest XviD codec?

Originally Posted by rickki804
    There is also a warning about the film being coded to prevent encoding. I assumed that adjusting the plug-in would take care of that. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
    When does the warning come up? What exactly does it say? Is it one of those warnings that appear as a text when watching the movie itself (like subtitles)?

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi

Great Guide!! Makes perfect mpeg2 movie with those settings in TMPG!!
    BUT I canīt not burn them as SVCD in nero or WinOnCD!! With nero there is no sound on it and WinOnCD crashes while "building disk" Both programs said that it isenīt a proper SVCD file!??!? Know anything about that?

Yours Chefen31
    Quote Quote  
  23. WooHoo! Thanks for the guide. I suddenly got a "pointer error" when doing a VBR encode of an Xvid file. Your settings got it working perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
  24. hi O kewl ur guide worked great....i am done converting my movie to svcd however when i try to split the movie using TMPGEnc under mpeg tools an error comes up "Could not open this file with drirect show" can u please help.....i have split and joined my vcd's but for somereason the SVCD one is not workin...also my TMPGEnc version is 2.588.44.152 (just to be exact)...plz help

THANKS in advance...greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    0 kewl you are the king . Thank you very much for the XviD conversion tips using TMPGENC worked a treat and got rid of my 3 day long running headache of converting a XviD file. I wanted to thank you the day it worked but had to wait 3 days as i was a new member.

Regards

Jay
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hello all,

First of all, please accept my sincere apologies for replying so late (special apologies to you, Chefen31, since you had to wait 2 weeks for my reply) and i hope that your problems have been sorted out by now. If not, see my replies below. For those interested, i was on holiday, hence the late reply.........(some of us DO have a life apart from VCDHelp.com and that is not to say that VCDHelp.com isn't worthy to be somebody's only life).

Originally Posted by Chefen31
    ....I canīt not burn them as SVCD in nero or WinOnCD!! With nero there is no sound on it and WinOnCD crashes while "building disk" Both programs said that it isenīt a proper SVCD file!??!?
    What template are you using to create these files? It might be that you are by mistake making a XSVCD by adjusting a bitrate or resolution. No sound with Nero? Is there a sound in Mpeg 2 file? Don't know about WinOnCD, but crashes could be explained by buffer underrun, bad multiplexing by TMPGEnc, bad media (CDR/RW) or low memory available (or HDD space). It looks like the problem in this case might be the audio of your original XviD. What was the audio format and did you do any additional work with it? Was it with no bad fragments?

Originally Posted by romy_1986
    ....when i try to split the movie using TMPGEnc under mpeg tools an error comes up "Could not open this file with drirect show" can u please help.....i have split and joined my vcd's but for somereason the SVCD one is not workin...also my TMPGEnc version is 2.588.44.152
    1. Try to increase DirectShow Multimedia File Reader filter's priority under VFAPI plug-ins when splitting this file.
    2. Try this prog to split your file.
    3. Try TMPGEnc 2.56 (just to be on the safe side).

Originally Posted by BillyB
    Thanks for the guide. I suddenly got a "pointer error" when doing a VBR encode of an Xvid file. Your settings got it working perfectly.
    Originally Posted by DesiLondonBoy
    Thank you very much for the XviD conversion tips using TMPGENC worked a treat and got rid of my 3 day long running headache of converting a XviD file. I wanted to thank you the day it worked but had to wait 3 days as i was a new member.
    I am glad to know it is helping others and thank you very much for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  27. thanks o kewl for the prog...i have one more question howver....how can i open files mpeg 2 files in vdub....cause wen i played the movie (downloaded elecard codec for mpeg2) it was out of sync. this time wat i did was i extracted just the wav audio from the movie and the avi video seperately...then i encoded them in tmpgnc 2.59 and wen i played the movie the audio was out of sync by like 3 secs so i tried to open the mpeg 2 file in vdub and an error came up and said

MPEG Import Filter: pack syncoronization error

how can i fix the movie is there a better guide for convertin xvid to svcd..please help in any way thanks alot once again
    Quote Quote  
  28. I've been trying to convert Xvids of "The Two Towers" for a month. The settings work fine but after encoding 7 mins of video TMPGEnc disapears. Does anyone know what's wrong? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi there i found the second part of this guide help full !!

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/144959.php

just change the "FourCC Description Code" and it uses the divx codec instead
    Inovate Don't imatate
    Quote Quote