VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Converting .avi divx to xSVCD/CVD...

Software :
    FitCD
    CCE 2.64
    VCDEasy (& Nero too but VCDEasy is better I reckon)

NOTE : This is using my CVD template from TMPGEnc. SHOULD work with xSVCD, BUT you need to set your video bitrate min to 1180 & max to 2520. This also ensures compatibility with your DVD player ...

.: Download your .avi (duh) mmm eDonkey is good ...

.: FitCD : open the .avi using the 'Source' button
    .: FitCD : set 'Audio 1' to 192kbps - most DivX use that bitrate anyway it seems & you wont gain anything by 'upsampling'
    ... now this is the clever bit ...
    .: FitCD : CD Space - Select '80min' CD, then manually up the CD size to 83mins
    .: FitCD : Select how many CDs you want to burn the movie on - usually, with CCE you can get 1 DivX CD per 1 CVD CD; bitrates down to 1300 encode real nice with CVD.

Now this should give you a video stream of about 700Mb & an audio stream of about 95Mb - total, just about 800Mb. You can up the seconds manually in FitCD to about 30 seconds to squeeze on that little extra, get that little extra video bitrate if you can overburn about 2 mins ... which VCDEasy does ok.

.: CCE : enter your bitrate from FitCD. I usually round down or up to the nearest '10' i.e: if FitCD gives 1603 I use 1600, if it gives 1608 I use 1610.

.: VCDEasy : add the mpeg file (dont forget to turn off 'do some compliance checks' if you're using CVD) & check the file size. If it's now 800Mb or less, you're fine. If it's up to 803Mb, try overburning the CD; using the 'enable overburn' feature in the 'tools' tab.

Voila! Maxed out your CD space, video bitrate & haven't made huge sacrifices!

PM me if you want some help with CVD - it's the poop!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have been toying with CVD and find it to be pretty neat...
    I am a little confused on the CDR capacity thing

My CDR's say they are 80 minute/700MB CDR's....
    your guide is referencing 80 minute/800MB CDR's (700 Vid/95 audio)

Is there something I am missing on that issue???

I want to cap some broadcast using Huffy, and then try your way to find the settings that will most optimize the space on my CDR

thx
    bama
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (s)VCD's are written mode2 so 80 minutes = ~ 800MB it's in the FAQ.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ahhhh...my bad

thx for the info Snowmoon....I must have read right over that 1.....

So..with an overburn, I can get around 83 minutes or 830MB.....hmmmm

My Big ScreenTV (not Widescrren or HDTV) does not show a CVD @ 2520 CBR as well as a 480x480@1950CBR...For some reason, the latter looks better.....but now I have an extra100MB I didnt know I had.....

time to step up some bitrates on the SVCD a tad...
    this is only for TV Capture playback....

thx

bama
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, I figured there must have been a good reason for getting 800Mb on an 80min disc - but the problem was getting the most out of it. All the bitrate calculators are on the 'conservative' side when they give an average.

With this little trick, you can max it out safely.

Just thought I'd share

bama - try using VBR in CCE. But I've noticed that CBR does give better quality - the problem is you can only use about 40-50mins on one CD ...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Kevin,

If I could figure out how to get CCE to work, I would try....

I keep getting the AVIFileOpen error...something to do with handling of the file type.......

do I need to do something with either a script or a Mpeg***.dll file to get it to work????

thx

bama
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello pal,

Where can I find your CVD template from TMPGEnc?

Take care
    Quote Quote  
  8. The capacity for a single video track on an 80min CD-R with minimum overhead is about 796 MB without overburning.

[deleted] -- sorry, didn't read your post properly...

.: FitCD : set 'Audio 1' to 192kbps - most DivX use that bitrate anyway it seems & you wont gain anything by 'upsampling'
    Most DivX would use MP3 rather than MP2 and you aren't "upsampling" either... It would always be beneficial to use a higher bitrate as you will introduce less audio artifacts in the generational encoding of the audio. I suggest that 224 kbit/s for stereo audio is better. That 30 kbit/s won't make a huge difference for the video but will make a difference for MP2 audio.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  9. bamafamily:

What kind of file are you trying to open in CCE? Is it an .avi or an .avs or something else? I've had this problem as well. Tell me what's happening and if it's the same i'll try and help.

GGS
    Eat! Drink! Be merry! Tomorrow we snuff it! - (Sid James, from 'Hancock's Half Hour')
    Quote Quote  
  10. Guitar....

here is the prob I am/was having...
    Didnt get a chance to try it last night....
    I think i was not loading the Mpeg dll file and not using a script....

http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117874&highlight=

from what I understand, you must load an mpeg dll and a script file to use CCE as a standalone. most programs like DVD2SVCD create the script on the fly, I believe....

Bama
    Quote Quote  
  11. Okay, guys. I have a question regarding the amount of space available on an 80 min cd. I read the FAQ, and what it says theoretically makes sense, but I have never been able to get an svcd that size to burn to a single disk. Even when I overburn. I'm using the latest Nero, and it says it's burning Mode 2, but no tortillas. Bad burn every time. Can anyone help?
    Sometimes, ya just gotta.....umm, what's the word........FART???
    Quote Quote  
  12. hmmmm

I used powervcr last night on Enterprise (480x480 @ 2150CBR)
    i trimmed it to 41 minutes after it was done
    it came up to 799MB (not bad for a first guess at the CBR rate for an hour show)
    Opened Nero 5.5.9.9, started a new SVCD page, turned off compatibility, burned at 40x and started watching 5 minutes later....

worked fine.....
    not sure what your prob could be....

bama
    Quote Quote  
  13. Okay. I burned another svcd with nero. This file was exactly 700 megs. I chose svcd, unchecked compliance and started burning. When the write cd box pops up, it shows the file size to be ~79 minutes and 798 MB. This may be the size Nero is reporting it to be, but it's an artificial number. The actual file size is still 700 MB. Am I missing something here?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Your MPEG file is "bloating" in size probably because it wasn't muxed correctly.

Did you encode the file using the SVCD template in TMPGEnc? In any case, I suggest that you remultiplex your MPEG file with bbMPEG on the SVCD setting.

Then try again...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  15. @letgoofmyears

The mpeg file is multyplexed wrong :

you have multiplexed it with an mpeg2 programheader instead of an mpeg2 svcd header.

Just multiplex it again with an "MPEG-2 Super VideoCD [VBR]" header.

I use TMPGEnc's MpegTools for it.

greetings
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanx for the advice, guys. That was EXACTLY what I had been doing wrong. When using TMPGenc, I hadn't bothered loading a temoplate of any kind. I just set the parameters myself. Stupid me ! I encoded another movie, worked out the bitrate for 985 megs(for a 99 min cd), and ended up with a 982 meg file. Burned with Nero, and I couldn't be happier!

Thanx again!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Old news bro..Ive been doing this for a while now...I usually make my CD's around 830MB's...cuz usually I can overburn around3 - 5 minutes...but my friend once overburned 9 Minutes extra..but on an Audio CD...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi
    Can anyone give me the link for CCE 2.64 download?
    Many thanks.
    Quote Quote