VirtualDub
    Headac3he (maybe)
    FitCD or bitrate calculator
    TMPGEnc
    VFAPIConv
    CCE & of course all the appropriate codecs for DivX

FIRST - Get some information
    .: VirtualDub : open 'blah.avi' the original .avi you want to encode
    .: VirtualDub : File - File Information - take note of frame rate & audio codec type. Make sure you have all the appropriate codecs installed

AUDIO - convert to MPEG format
    For most 'known' audio codecs you can convert the audio to .wav in VDub
    .: Audio - AVI audio
    .: Audio - Full processing mode
    .: Audio - Conversion : sampling rate - 44100Hz
    .: Audio - Conversion : check 'HiQuality'
    .: Audio - Conversion : Precision - check 'No change'
    .: Audio - Conversion : Channels - check 'No change'
    .: Audio - Compression : PCM
    .: File - save as 'blah.wav'

For 'unknown' or 5.1 audio codecs, which are probably .ac3
    .: Audio - AVI audio
    .: Audio - Direct stream copy
    .: Audio - save as 'blah.ac3.wav' then rename the file to 'blah.ac3'

.: Headac3he - convert to a real .wav, resample to 44100kHz
    .: TMPGEnc - Convert to 'blah.mp2' using 'tooLame'

VIDEO - Frameserving, encoding & multiplexing
    FitCD - determining bitrates
    .: Open source, select how many & type of CDs to fit it on, select audio bitrate. Can add 4-5% of average bitrate safely. Use 2520 for maximum bitrate, 1180 for minimum

TMPGEnc - create a project with encoding info with which to frameserve to CCE via VFAPIConv
    .: File - New project
    .: File - Video source - original .avi
    .: File - Audio source - the .wav audio you created above
    .: File - Output - browse & choose your file name
    .: File - Load : SuperVideoCD(NTSC) or (PAL). Or kCVD (NTSC)
    .: File - Load : Unlock. Then, change your settings as desired.
    .: File - Settings : Framerate - same as source
    .: File - Settings : Aspect ratio - same as your TV
    .: File - Settings : Size - 352 x 480 for CVD
    .: File - Save project : save as 'blah.tpr'

VFAPIConv - frameserving 'blah.tpr' to CCE
    .: Add job : 'blah.tpr' - deselect audio
    .: Convert : output will be 'blah-vfapi-tpr.avi'

CCE - encoding the video stream to 'blah.mpv'
    .: Right click in the window - Add : 'blah-vfrapi-tpr.avi'
    Double click the file to adjust 'Encoder settings'

.: Encoder settings : Audio file - deselected
    .: Encoder settings : Video encoding mode - MPEG-2 Multipass VBR 3-5. More than 5 is a waste or time. Or you can use 1pass VBR, set the Q to 1, same min/max IF you're encoding less than 50 minutes. Real nice quality
    .: Encoder settings : Bitrate - settings from FitCD

.: Video : Selected - Add sequence end code; Progressive frames; Linear quantizer scale; Zigzag scanning order
    .: Video : Luminance level - 16 to 235
    .: Video : Intra DC precision - AUTO or 10
    .: Video : Aspect ratio - same as your TV
    .: Video : Timecode - 00:00:00:00

.: GOP : M=3; N/M=4; SEQ header every 1 GOP; deselect Restrict & Close. But you can play with these, I guess
    .: Quality settings : Image quality priority - from 5 (anime) to 20 (film) for decent .avi sources
    .: Quality settings : Anti noise filter - OFF unless it's a noisy (blocky) source.
    Then hit ok.
    Back to the 'Encoder settings' window

.: Settings : double click the file to set where your encode will start or finish. You can add the audio here & get CCE to convert or cut it. If you want to do that, I'd rather create a vfapi .avi with the audio ...

If you plan to split one movie into several cd sized parts, you will have to add the file at the main window as many times as you want to split it. And EACH file, at the main window, will have to have the output files (Video files; Video information file; Audio file) renamed manually : ie. LOTR1.mpv, LOTR1.vaf, LOTR1.mpa then LOTR2.mpv etc for the following files.

MULTIPLEXING - joining the .mpv & .mpa or .mp2 files.
    .: TMPGEnc : File - MPEG tools - browse for video source and audio. Select MPEG stream type (use 'MPEG1 Video CD' if you want to do the header trick to play on standalone. Run when you're done.

BURNING - however the heck you like. I use VCDEasy, for easy chapter insertion.

This guide assumes at least a little working knowledge of the above softwares. Works real good for me. Any suggestions for Matrixs, GOP settings in CCE would be good too.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You seem to know quite a lot about this AVI to VCD, I've been trying for a month now to come up with a good working formula but without sucess. Your way seems logical and well elaborate, although I don't have or know where to get some of those programs. I was told that Pinnacle Studio 8 might do all of that and more, without the help of any other software, what do you think? Have you heard anything about it?
    I'm just trying to find 1 program that would do it all, or 2 if I have too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Dont know anything about that software. DVD2SVCD is an 'all in one' package, but it's really just a bunch of software with an interface.

I prefer the hands on approach, and it's not so hard once you start using the software ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yea, so it seems indeed lol But I have to find the software you were talking about, and so far I have only 2 out of all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. hi, kevin

I have tried your method along with others in order to use CCE to encode. None seemed worked for me. Below is link i posted at this forum detailing the problems i encountered. I guess you may have some idea.

Besides those i have also tried to frame serve CCE ( avi-patched version) with Avisynth, it can't recognize the .avs file either.

By using your method, i have never gone beyond the step of open the WFAPI converted Avi file with CCE.

I realy expect your input on this. thanks in advance.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118196
    Quote Quote