VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I am not god to OSX yet, but I have some problems to install mpeg2enc, if understand correct I must be in root to this installation or? I drag the mpeg2enc from http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/ to my desktop then i got file "mpeg2enc" then i tried copy paste the commands in to the terminal window, my terminal look like this:[localhost:/Users/admin] root# sudo cp ~/mpeg2enc /usr/bin/mpeg2encsudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mpeg2encrehash

enter

Then i got this:[localhost:/Users/admin] root# sudo cp ~/mpeg2enc /usr/bin/mpeg2encsudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mpeg2encrehash
    usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i] [-p] src target
    cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i] [-p] src1 ... srcN directory
    [localhost:/Users/admin] root#

I belive my desktopfolder is my homefolder or?
    sorry I am not that god to understand Tecnical English

Please help me out here so I can understand how to Install mpeg2enc step by step

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Step 1. Download the mpeg2enc compiled software. Put it in you "Home" folder. Which should be something like /usr/bin

http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/

Step 2. Launch terminal and enter the following

sudo cp ~/mpeg2enc /usr/bin/mpeg2enc
    sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mpeg2enc
    rehash

Step 3. Get the latest ffmpegX version from http://homepage.mac.com/major4 latest version is 0.0.4d

Done.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply,

Im running OS 10.1.4 server maybe this is my problem, I have the textfile"mpeg2enc" on my desktop wish is my home folder:when i paste this in terminl under rootudo cp ~/mpeg2enc /usr/bin/mpeg2encsudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mpeg2enc
    rehash I got this message in terminal window,

Desktop/ Incomplete/ Movies/ Pictures/ Shared/
    Documents/ Library/ Music/ Public/ Sites/
    [localhost:/Users/admin] root# sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/mpeg2enc
    chmod: /usr/bin/mpeg2enc: No such file or directory
    Desktop/ Incomplete/ Movies/ Pictures/ Shared/
    Documents/ Library/ Music/ Public/ Sites/
    [localhost:/Users/admin] root# rehash

Please help me out here

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not a UNIX expert but I think your problem is you need to put the mpeg2enc in the /usr/bin directory not a user/usr/bin directory.

-S
    Quote Quote  
  5. paste each line separately, with return after each
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Editer
    I have the textfile"mpeg2enc" on my desktop which is my home folder
    Your home folder is not the desktop. It is the folder you get when clicking on the big "Home" icon which is at the top of any finder window
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks very much for all your help, my problem was in the terminal window, I logged in as, su - password - root. this was my big problem.
    after I just open the terminal window an paste the text in voila it works!!!!

I better start to tearn how to read and translate English to may language Correct!!!!!!!!!

I now convert a vob filer to a SVCD with Quick Presets Pal (12.18 fps) allmost constant. very good I thing.

Do I undertand correct if I have a vob file with dolby digital 5.1 sound I don´t get the 5.1 sound but only a stereo sound?

when files is finish in ffmpeg, what is the best way to burn them, as a SVCD in Toast so they will play on my DVD player.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Editer
    Do I undertand correct if I have a vob file with dolby digital 5.1 sound I don´t get the 5.1 sound but only a stereo sound?
    Dolby digital is being downsampled into Dolby surround, which is more than stereo, however you will need Dolby surround equipment to listen it.

Originally Posted by Editer
    when files is finish in ffmpeg, what is the best way to burn them, as a SVCD in Toast so they will play on my DVD player. Thanks
    To burn, take the two .IMG files and drop them in Toast's "XA Multitrack" window.

But please note, the splitter is not working well right now. So extract multiple chapters in OSEx so as to obtain multiple 30..35 minutes VOBs, and encode each VOB separately for each CD. Deselect the "Split" function, and select "Author as SVCD".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Major,

first of all thanks for your help.

Ok, right now I am convert a full vob file about 6GB to a SVCD in 3 chunks, but I just check what kind of output file i have for the moment, I have only a m2v around 780MB an still growing, will it end up with 2 .img when it is finish or ? next I will trie to split up the vob file and make them a round 35min.

ffmpeg is very quick 14.9 fps we are gething close to realtime!!!

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. At the end you will get a .mpg file with the whole encoded material and then the splitter will attempt to chunk it.

I say "attempt", as the splitter in 0.0.4d is "wild alpha" and often not working. 0.0.4e should fix this.

In the meantime, consider extracting multiple VOB chapters in 30..35 minutes size and encode them one by one without "Split" activated.
    Quote Quote