VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could someone post the settings they used to get an in synced movie.

Thanx

Qshartle
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i thought you were going to try the process i wrote out for you, trust me it works everytime, you cant use ffmpegx cuz it doesnt accept DV streams, but if you dont want to do any guessing and what the computer to do all the work for you, follow my process.

there really isnt one set way to get everything in sync in ffmpegx, as simple as it would be, it doesnt work that way, and i dont imagine it will anytime soon (no offense major, i think your work is great, but this is a problem that everyone has struggled with for a while and no one has solved in a direct vob->mpeg2 single step process)

this is a webpage that will somewhat explain the sync issue

http://www.commotionpro.com/support/white_papers/3-2.html

that explains the phenomenon known as 3:2 pulldown. that is only HALF of the explination (to my knowledge) the other half of the explination is the fact that almost all NTSC DVDs have something known as a variable frame rate, that means the framerate can jump back and forth between 23.98, 24 and 29.97 several times in one chapter alone! that is why u currently cant do anything to get a full in sync file in ffmpegx, and that is why u need to do some obscure method in quicktime, there is no way to convert the video and audio seperately and keep them in sync if they are subject to 3:2 pulldown and/or variable frame rate (almost every NTSC dvd, if not every dvd is subject to this) The only way to keep the files in sync is to re-encode them together simultaneously without demuxing them. For now (to my knowledge) the only process that doesnt involve troubleshooting and/or guessing i explained in detail in the sync issue thread. Mediapipe 0.9 is SUPPOSED to be totally revamped to re-encode the video and audio together to overstep this problem, unfortunately i dont think it will be out for a few more months.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did try your process and it was way out of sync.
    I tried encoding my 4 min video clip at 23,29,25 fps.
    It still wasn't in sync.
    Thanks though.
    Qshartle
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you dont want to encode to 23.98 or 25, if your working NTSC ONLY use 29.97, im not sure where you were trying to use different framerates and i hope your werent using ffmpegx because that wont work in the modified process, you NEED to export to DV stream and only DV stream not a quicktime movie w/ MJPEG-A compression. if you do that and then try to re-encode in ffmpegx u will get an out of sync file, the only way to get a synced file with the file being exported as quicktime movie is to export it with the mpeg-2 quicktime component, if you can get away from using ffmpegx for now (since that is what i assume you are using for the last step) you will be just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was encoding it at different framerates because it is an anime movie.
    I just wanted to make sure they didn't change the framerate on it.
    Thanks

Qshartle
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    being as though it is anime, as long as it is NTSC the only framerates it will jump between are 23.98 and 29.97, and the only framerate you can encode to and use it in dvd studio pro is 29.97, so focus on following these steps as i lined them out... also are you making sure to export as a DV stream? im assuming your exporting to MJPEG-A and then using ffmpegx which will never yield a in sync file with the QT movie if the QT movie has a variable framerate.. are you using mediapipe like i outline or ffmpegx?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im trying both.

I do not know how to add an aiff to a VOB.
    It will not let me.
    Thanks

Qshartle
    "Good Luck 007"
    Quote Quote  
  8. I can't get ffmpegx to open any files, I keep getting and error message "NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 3 (1)" What should I do?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Tripps22
    I can't get ffmpegx to open any files, I keep getting and error message "NSReceiverEvaluationScriptError: 3 (1)" What should I do?
    Update your system with this installer
    http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15315&db=mac
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when you open the VOB file does it appear to be the full length or just a minute or two long? if its a minute or two long use the program extractor to demux the m2v and ac3 stream out, remux them in missing mpeg tools as a dvd then open it in quicktime.. open the aiff file in quicktime and select all then copy, after that go back to the mpeg file and choose add from the edit menu. after that is when u export to DV stream, NOT quicktime movie.....i think im just going to have to make a full tutorial with pictures and an explination for each step... maybe ill do that sometime tonight if i have enough time
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by qshartle
    Could someone post the settings they used to get an in synced movie.

First I'd like to state that my goal was cramming xSVCD quality MPEG2 onto DVD. As such, I cannot speak to sync issues when using ffmpegX to split.

1. Rip movie from DVD using 0Sex. I left all audio streams entact to try to minimize any corruptions 0Sex would introduce.

2. Open (select) your VOB file as your source. Give your new encode a filename in the Save As field.

3. On the Video tab, select MPEG2 from the drop-down. For video bitrate, enter 2500 or 2600.

4. In Video parameters, first change the Autosize drop down to show Unconstrained. Then input a DVD compliant resolution (I use 352x240 or 352x480 for NTSC). For framerate, chose NTSC 29.97, even if your source is 23.976fps utilizing 3:2 pulldown.

5. Click Audio tab. Change the Audio Codec to MP2. In the Bitrate box, make sure you select 48000Hz sampling. I prefer an audio bitrate of 192kbps. Leave the settings in Audio parameters untouched, unless you want a dual-language encode.

6. Click the MPEG-2 tab. For Encoding options, tick ON Bicubic scaling, and Altivec. Leave everything else ticked off. However, if your source is 16:9 I recommend ticking ON VOB Letterbox. This is because the next step will not place the anamorphic flag the way it would if we had selected SVCD 16:9 at step 4 in the Autosize drop down. (Since mpeg2enc creates DVD compliant encodes, I really really really hope major adds some presets for DVD, including DVD anamorphic in all the valid resolutions!)

7. In the MPEG-2 options box, MAKE SURE YOU SELECT Profile Generic MPEG-2 or it will force an SVCD compliant encode, which will negate the use of a step-by-step guide! I leave the Interlace drop down on Not interlaced as it seems to make no difference. I make no changes in the Quantizer section, although I want to try later.

8. On the Post-processing tab, make sure all options are ticked OFF. This way it will re-encode your entire VOB and keep audio sync.

9. Hit encode. I find that on my TiBook G4 667, it will encode 352x240 resolution video at 20 frames per second, and 352x480 resolution video at 5 to 6 frames per second, both with Deinterlace ticked ON in the Encoding options box on the MPEG-2 tab.

Every encode I've done so far using these steps have resulted in an in sync re-encode that played fine in Quicktime 6 Pro as well as both my settop DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can I make a suggestion that I hope won't get me stoned by an angry mob? For those of you who are really bugged with sync issues, and can't get it right no matter what, there is another alternative. The syncing problem often occurs because the source may contain different frame rates. Well, if you have something like a DV cam, you could always record from the DVD, and then use your recorded material. I know, I know-- it has now been once analog, and the DV compression will compromise the image. But, there have been a number of people who want a quick and dirty way to do SVCD from a DVD source. This is not for everyone, but is an alternative.

Now I'm going to get my corrugated metal shield between myself and all the purists.....

Humbly,
    J
    Quote Quote