VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Those Sopranos Series DVD's and basicly anything else that large...

Use:
    VSTRIP, DVD2AVI, TMPGEnc, ULEAD DVD Workshop

These Disc's come with about 7gb of movie on them. 3 to 4 episodes per disc. And all stretched out and combined as one movie. The IFO file and Menu they have gets the sessions to play correct. So we need to grab each session as a single session or episode. Yes you can probably grab all as one but when you want to play them they will play as one movie and I like to watch them one episode at a time. I'm Getting old and may snooze off after an hour.

Create a folder on HD and inside this folder create the needed sub folders for each episode.

VSTRIP:
    From the INPUT window load the 6,7,8 VOB files and set your Decryption to 'each VOB and Cell-ID'. From the IFO window load the VTS_01_0.IFO file. You will see the individual sessions on the IFO screen. Go to the first session, click on 0 chapter and right click and set Start LBA, go to the second from last chapter and right click again and set End LBA. That last chapter is the same on all and is only 15 seconds long and a waist of time. From the Output Screen set the output file (ex: VTS_01.VOB for the first session, and set the Split size to 1024. Now click RUN and wait. Once done go back to IFO screen and select the next session, select a new output folder and keeping the same file name. Do this for each session till you get them all.

Now we have our raw files....

DVD2AVI:
    Open this program, do File, Open and select the first session VTS_01_1.VOB, the rest will auto load along with this. Now do the following on each drop down menu....
    Video...
    IDC Algorithm = 32-bit SSE
    Field Operation = Forced Film
    Color Space = YUV
    YUV-> to RGB = TV Scale
    Lum Filter = default
    Clip = default(none)
    AUDIO...
    Track Number = 1
    Channel Format = Dolby Digital
    Dolby Digital = Decode and Dolby Surround Downmix
    MPEG audio = Demux alltracks
    48-> 44 = high
    Normalization = default
    Back to File....
    Save AVI and select a file name.. I call mine episode#. It will also ask for Video Compression, I use 'DivX 5.0.2 codec'. I suppose you can use others but theses are working great for me. Do this for each episode till done. It will create a AVI and Wave file for each session.

TMPGEnc:
    This will take the AVI and WAV files created above and create a NTSC 16:9 525 line MPEG or basiclly a SVCD file ready to load into ULEAD without any long conversions needed at that point.

First Goto file, Project Wizard. I find the wizard is the easiest way and you can setup all the jobs at once as a batch and run together.
    Start the Wizard, Select the format, DVD-NTSC and select 'CBR 2000kbps 155min/4.7gb' output format. Select next, now click and tag the first session AVI file and WAV file in the appropriate entry areas. Also under the Expert section select 'Non-Interlaced' for video type and '16:9 525 line NTSC' for the Aspect Ration and Content of video should equal 'File Movie'. Select Next for Filter Selections. Leave the first three boxes un-checked, and select other settings, From here I select Audio edit on the Audio tab and increase the sound to 400%. All other settings here should correspond to your previous settings. The next screen 'Bitrate Settings' should show the '2000' for the Average Video Bitrate. Should not have to make any chnages here. Select next and confirm the output file name and location and check the box ' Create another Project for batch and repeat the above settings for each additional session. Once you do this for all seesions you can elect to run now or save and run later. I choose later and load and run when I go to bed. Depending on your processor it will take some time. Mine take anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours each episode.

But whenever you run it, it will produce some good quality MPG files ready to load into the ULEAD factory and they won't need any long conversions from within ULEAD.

ULEAD DVD FACTORY:
    Start ULEAD, start a project, load the MPG's, create a menu with Buttons pointing to each
    session and produce a DVD 2 hour movie also create the VIDEO_TS folder. And low and behold in a short time you'll have a complete DVD ready for burning to disc. Now you can take your original DVD, put it away for safe keeping and watch your backup copy. Nothing worse than getting a scratch on the original and you have to buy another.

I was able to take the original with over 7gb of movie data and reduce it under 4gb and able to fit it back on one DVD blank. And I can't tell the difference on my TV. It's great.
    <-EdsPlace->
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Seems like a good guide, however why do you compress with Divx then recompress with mpeg. You could "Save project" in DVD2AVI and use the d2s file in TMPGEnc as your video source. also would save a lot of time as you don't have to make the avi file.

Just a thought
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, well, it's interesting

In your DVD2AVI step, you save AVI files with DivX compression, which is lossy and totally unnecessary. All you need to do is save your project. The D2V file can be frame served to your encoder. In this way, you avoid huge intermediate file, loss of quality, and speed up processing. I also would not use Force Film option, because video streams in The Sopranos, as well as Sex and the City, are mixed. If you want IVTC, try some other filters, because Force Film in DVD2AVI is not a very sophisticated function and often fails....
    Quote Quote  
  4. LOL, I happen to be converting the Sopranos series as I read this. I am able to get 2 episodes on 1 DVD-R, although I am using 2-sided DVD-Rs so just 1 disc for 4 episodes. This is the method I use (which I believe is easier):
    When using Smartripper, rip each episode "movie only" to a seperate folder. Then merge the 2 episodes you want on 1 DVD-R with VOBedit after renaming the vob files VTS_01_001, VTS_01_002, etc.... Now you will need to create new IFO files with IFOedit. Thats all and it works great in the DVD player!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, I'm game for anything better than the way I am doing it. So I gave it a try by creating the D2V file in DVD2AVI and loading that instead of an AVI. Didn't save much in time, space yes. Another thing I noticed is that TEMPGenc wants to 'inverse telecine' the file(found under the advance menu) before encoding it to MPEG. That alone wanted to add an additional hour or so per episode. So I disabled that and the output MPEG was of worse quality than the way I was doing it not saying that the 'inverse telecine' had anything to do with it. Now the most important issue is to create a truely compliant NTSC output file. If it isn't then ULEAD WorkShop will have to and want to convert it before creating the VOB files and by the time estimate I see it is about 4-6 hours per episode hour. Not worth it to have to wait that long.

Someone else mentioned the 'force film' option. I've been using this for awhile and it has always worked great. I've done about 25 this way without a problem.

Someone else mentioned doubled side DVD's and putting 2 episodes per side. I'm only paying about $3.50 per single sided DVD+RW and am getting 3-4 chapters per disc/side just like the originals, no flipping.

Now the real test was showing some people the end results and they couldn't tell the difference between the original and my copies, except for my menus created in the Factory. And no swapping or flipping to the other disc side. 8)

Also, here are my times for the conversion....
    VSTRIP, 15 to 20 minutes per episode
    DVD2AVI, 20 to 25 minutes per episode
    TmpGEnc, around 1hour and 20 mins per episode
    Workshop, less than half hour for the whole thing. Thats creating a Hard drive VIDEO_TS and all. I use Nero to burn to disc.

Here are the versions of the progs I am using for this operation.
    TMPGEnc Plus version 2.57.41.146
    DVD2AVI version 1.76
    Divx codecs version 5.02

The end results are what counts.
    <-EdsPlace->
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why set YUV-> to RGB ?
    since all mpeg encoders need YUV anyway and if its RGB they have to convert it ..

just curious .. you may have a reason ..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just seems to work for me...
    [YUV -> RGB]

Generally speaking, the color scale of TV and PC monitor is differnet.
    The RGB value of pure black on PC is (0, 0, 0) On the other hand, it's (16, 16, 16) on TV.
    If you want to watch the video on PC, it's better to choose [PC Scale] for full-scale colors.

It's hard to decide which option is correct when you watch on TV.
    Video editors, encoders, and codecs all affect the color scale of the final result.
    Try both scale and compare them on TV to see which one is smiliar to original source.

This option influences preview and AVI output of [RGB 24-bit] as well as VFAPI processing.
    You must switch the [Color Space] to [RGB 24-bit] in order to tell the difference.
    <-EdsPlace->
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    estrait -- yes i'm aware of color (i do color correction on a professional level) - its just that all mpeg encoders require YUV and if fed RGB they internally convert it .. mpeg2 is stored in yuv no mater what you do .. though you can set IRE to either 0 or 7.5 at the encoding stage or as you have done at the compress to avi stage, though if the mpeg encoder is not set the same your content will undergo another conversion .
    IRE 7.5 representing black is what video is ... though you can set it to 0 ..

8-bit per component 4:2:2 YCrCb format takes only half the bandwidth as 32-bit RGBA, and the color fidelity remains high because the pixels do not have to be upsampled and color converted from YCrCb to RGBA then back down again ..
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by BJ_M
    estrait -- yes i'm aware of color (i do color correction on a professional level) - its just that all mpeg encoders require YUV and if fed RGB they internally convert it .. mpeg2 is stored in yuv no mater what you do .. though you can set IRE to either 0 or 7.5 at the encoding stage or as you have done at the compress to avi stage, though if the mpeg encoder is not set the same your content will undergo another conversion .
    IRE 7.5 representing black is what video is ... though you can set it to 0 ..

8-bit per component 4:2:2 YCrCb format takes only half the bandwidth as 32-bit RGBA, and the color fidelity remains high because the pixels do not have to be upsampled and color converted from YCrCb to RGBA then back down again ..
    This is just an option in DVD2AVI (YUV->RGB) which can be set to either TV or PC scale. Not even sure if it is used internally. There is no option to turn it off. So I gotta go with the flow. If is is going through extra conversions I must be lucky with these program versions as I can't see any difference in the end. Every step I'm going through keeps me from having to be killed with the Ulead Factory conversion. If ya got any other way please let me know. I tried the D2V output way and that was a time killer also.
    <-EdsPlace->
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you might be right .. who knows exactly dvd2avi is doing anyway conversion wise internally .. i do the d2v way sometimes but from one machine to another and works ok (feeding through v-dub) .
    Quote Quote  
  11. Don't convert to divx in the middle thats bloody fooolish!
    Frameserv your d2v, or if you are rich and have the space, compress to huffyuv which is lossless. And go ahead and force film with sopranos, they are film sourced, and previewing the 29.97 frames clearly shows the telecined frames, the rest are perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok, OK, Ok.....
    I just went through the whole process again and instead of creating one of those bad worded AVI files in DVD2AVI, I created D2V files. And keeping all the other settings the same as above for DVD2AVI program.

Then from TMPGEnc I loaded the D2V file in place of the AVI and still keeping all the other settings the same. The bottom line showed me...
    [DVD NTSC (MPEG-2 352x480 23.976fps CBR 2000kbps, Layer-2 48000Hz 384kbps)] . This way saved me about a half hour on processing.

I then loaded into ULEAD Factory and produced the VOB's, etc. ULEAD excepted this MPG file as is and didn't need to do any conversions on it, Thank the almighty video god....

Now viewing both the DVDs on TV came out the same. Couldn't tell any difference. Beautiful..... and a half hour less time in processing.

But looking/viewing the MEPG's on the PC the D2V way produced a MPG file that had more wavy lines in it. Not as crisp and clear as the AVI way. Anyone know why??? Not that it really matters to me as I am only after the end DVD and that was great. But I do like to preview/spotcheck on the PC before I burn just to make sure everything is good.
    <-EdsPlace->
    Quote Quote  
  13. I recommend you take more time compressing. I see youa re using 2000 kbps cbr, which is OK, but yuo are wasting bits. DVD fuklls suports vbr so i would suggest something like

vbr min 1000 max 3000 and average 2000. This will give you a video that is still the same size as what you are making now, but be much beter in the liong run. (it will take rougly twice as long to encode though using 2 pass)
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by duhmez
    I recommend you take more time compressing. I see youa re using 2000 kbps cbr, which is OK, but yuo are wasting bits. DVD fuklls suports vbr so i would suggest something like

vbr min 1000 max 3000 and average 2000. This will give you a video that is still the same size as what you are making now, but be much beter in the liong run. (it will take rougly twice as long to encode though using 2 pass)
    If the end results are coming out great either way, why go to all this extra trouble and even more encoding time to do this. I would only go this far if the end results were not that great and needed a little more work.
    <-EdsPlace->
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to use your guide, but I'm having a problem when it comes to vstrip. I believe I am following the guide correctly, at the ifo part. I should see 4 sessions? From 0-3? Is this correct? Then at session (0.) I right click on 0 chapter, choose start. Right click on chapter 6 (being 2nd from last) then choose end. I give it a name vts_01 and I run it. It takes a few minutes and I'm left with a .vob file that's only 8 kb? Should it be only 8 kb? I assume it's not, because vob files are fairly large. What the hell am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  16. On the Input screen, make sure all the VOB'a are loaded. There should be 6-7 of them. Also make sure the "Is VOB?" is checked and also I have the setting of "clib,ASPI" next to it.

On the IFO screen, it sounds and looks like you did the start stop correctly. After doing this and looking back at the Input screen you'll see those start/stop numbers listed by the start/stop LBA.

On the OUTPUT screen, Output file should be 'VTS_01.vob'. The prog will add the rest of the numbers as needed. Also make sure all the streams are checked unless you really know what your doing and selecting. Split file size should be at 1024.

Now run, takes a little while. Should get about 3 VOB's, 2 at 1024 and a smaller one.

Also lately, I've found another utility, 'DVD Decrypter" at http://www.dvddecrypter.com/
    Check it out, really good. I used it on last two DVD's and perfect.
    <-EdsPlace->
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I figured out how to do it using DVD decrypter. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Quote