VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Anne.

When you edit video footage on the HS2, all you are really doing is setting up some flags, telling the HS2 what parts of the footage you want in a particular "scene" of a "program". If you want your "scene" to be selectable from the opening menu, you need to set it up as a "play list" item. Once you burn the DVD-R you can go back and delete any "scene" you want (removing the flags) and then set up a new scenes from the original video footage. I copied a birthday party of my daughter, about one hour long, from an old VHS tape. From that one recording I created three DVD-R's, each one having it's own unique scenes based on what I thought a particular person would want to have. The editing is very basic. There are no transitions, fades, etc., that would enhance the appearance of the video. In fact, there is a noticeable pause from one scene to the next (unless you edit at a fade). On important projects I still plan on polishing up the video on my computer.

As to your second question, the drive only burns DVD-R in real time (1x). So, time wise, it's the same as using VHS. Using the HS2 with VHS is relatively quick compared to using the computer. If I have a one hour video event on my DV camcorder and I copy that into my computer (1 hour) and edit the transitions (1/2 hour), copy it back in my camera (1 hour), copy that through the DV-in on the HS2 (1 hour), flag the play list items and title them (1/2 hour), and then burn to DVD-R (1 hour), the total time required for my one hour video is a minimum of 5 hours! Fortunately, during the transfers you can do other things and come back later.

Hope that helps.

Tux

thxkid:

Yes, it's amazing what a simple firmware upgrade can do. I'm using an Apex 500W that has been made "VCR Friendly" and works great with the HS2. Also, I'm using Accu brand, $0.84 each in 100 packs, free shipping, at cdrdvdrmedia with the HS2 without any problems so far.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tearren
    -Cyrax9

If you are asking can you switch between watching a store bought DVD movie while recording "TV programs" to the HDD at the same time and then later recording your "TV programs" to DVD-R then the answer your question is yes. You don't have to have a disk in the drive to watch something from the HDD.
    Does this mean that the DMR-HS2 has a built in TV Tuner? I thought it did not, and was considering the E30 instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this mean that the DMR-HS2 has a built in TV Tuner? I thought it did not, and was considering the E30 instead.
    Yes it does. The HS2 allows you to switch from 5 different inputs using the remote: the TV tuner, the DV input, and three different line inputs. Actually, if you want to count the PC card port designed for viewing and recording JPEG pictures, that would be 6 inputs!

BTW, I bought Sony's PC card reader for their memory sticks. It's almost not long enough as it is nearly disappears into the PC card slot on the HS2. But it does make the connection, displays the pictures fine, and ejects properly. The HS2 allows you to view the pictures manually or in a slide show mode and rotate pictures as needed, but not zoom in on them.

Tux
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does a DVD with multiple playlists play from beginning to end or stop after the first playlist? For example, if I record 3 playlists onto a DVD-R, will all playlists play uniterrupted or will it stop after playlist 1, requiring me to then choose to play playlist 2, and so on??

I'd hope it can do either, meaning playing from beginning to end uninterrupted or allow direct jumping to a particular playlist.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does a DVD with multiple playlists play from beginning to end or stop after the first playlist? For example, if I record 3 playlists onto a DVD-R, will all playlists play uniterrupted or will it stop after playlist 1, requiring me to then choose to play playlist 2, and so on??

I'd hope it can do either, meaning playing from beginning to end uninterrupted or allow direct jumping to a particular playlist.

Thanks
    A DVD-R you burn with the HS2 acts similar to a factory DVD. Consider the title screen on the DVD-R, with up to 8 playlist items per screen, the same thing as the scene selection feature on a movie DVD. When you select a particular playlist item, it begins to play at that point and continues to play the rest of the disk unless you press the menu button on the remote. This will bring you back to the title screen for another selection. The DVD-R is NOT similar to a movie DVD when using the chapter jump buttons. With a movie DVD, when you use your chapter jump buttons on your remote, you can jump to the beginning of the same scenes that are in your scene selection area of the menu. With your DVD-R, your chapter jumps are inserted automatically by the HS2 ever 5 minutes or so. So, when you use your chapter jump buttons, you end up 5 minutes later in the video or the next playlist item, whichever one is first. Interestingly, it's not quite the same in the opposite direction. If you are in the middle of playlist item #2 and start using the chapter jumps towards the beginning of the DVD-R, when you reach the beginning of #2 and jump back one more time you end up at the beginning of #1.

So, in the short version , after inserting the disk and the menu is displayed, press play to play the whole disk or select a playlist item and it will start playing at that point until the end of the disk. If you want to jump to another playlist item, press menu on the remote, and then select the playlist item.

Hope that helps.

Tux
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks to the DMR-HS2 owners for answering all the questions.

I have been looking for a owner's manual and the panasonic website hasn't posted it yet...

...so I am turning this question to the owners.

1. What are the timer options of the unit? How far in advance can you program it? And how many different shows (my vcr lets your program 8 different entries, for example...

2. I have heard about a mode that replaces "recordings of the same name" as in "next week's Soprano's would replace this weeks." Can you turn this off?

3. I assume that it has a built in cable tuner...?

4. It wouldnt happen to have a DirectTV tuner would it? Becuase THAT would rule...

Thanks for all of your help and answering the questions of those of us who are considering the purchase of this unit...

-- EKM
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have a new HS2 and I use a Phillips 985 (for dvd+r). I hope this info can be of use to someone. I burn with the forementioned units, but I read with a sony,Sampo,X-box,and Kenwood 911(in car video). The dvd+r from the Phi;;ips plays well in everything. I bought the hs2 because it is a major hassle editing on the Phillips system.(although the pictue index menu system is superior). I was very happy with the HDD-->DVD-R capabilties on the HS2 untill I tried to playback the video. I actually recorded on two dvd-r medias, generic and Maxell. The dvds would play on Sony and Sampo, plus the recorders. The dvd-r both froze in the kenwood. HERE IS THE INTERESTING PART! I gage the dvd-r recorders I have used in the past by playback capabilities in other players. The X-box is the cheap player I test with. The x-box would not read the generic dvd-r recored from the HS-2, It would only read the title menu of the same recording made on the maxell DVD-R. Strange considering I thought the media made little difference. It has to be in the way it is burned. I have three other drive burners in my computers and they all produce dvd-r 's that play in the x-box. I use spruce-up and hp record.

sorry I had to type this fast, I'll check back later.
    Maybe panasonic will provide a firmware upgrade to fix this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here is what I'm thinking. How about iwrite to dvd ram, put it in my computer and copy it to a dvd-r or+R that I know works. Then erase the DVD ram and start over.KInd of a pain, but should cure compatibility issues right?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Do you still get the washed out effect when transfering video from an external dvd player to dvdram then to the HDD and finally back onto a dvd-r disc? Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, I bough the DMR-HS2 today, read the "Instruction Manual" and now I'm more confused than when I bought it, so I'm hoping you guys can help me again with these questions:

1. The DMR-HS2 Manual says "some Digital Signals can not be recorded", I have an Anolog TV; it's a SOny KV-27FS13, and I was wondering what I can't record and what has a "limited" record feature? (I.e. I record a show to the HDD on a Saturday Morning, and after 4 episodes I dub it to DVD-RAM, for "Archival", than after I edit commericals out of the show, I record it back onto the HDD, and then Burn a DVD-R with a DVD-RAM "archival" copy incase something happens to the DVD-R, will I be able to record off of chanels like ABC without this digital signal protection?)

2. According to the HS2's manual, there's a recording mode that "replaces" this weeks show, with the show of the same name form the next week, so if I record Enterprise to the HDD next Wednesday, and I want to record it the HDD the week after next, can I shut off the "Auto-Erase" feature?

3. I bought a 5-pack of Memorex DVD-R's for DVD-R, DVD-RW Drives and Video Recorders, they're 4.7Gb, 120 Minute Version 2.0 DVD-R's, has anybody tested these with the DMR-HS2?

4. How can I connect a VHS VCR to the DMR-HS2 for "Editing" my old Anolog Videos and playback? I havea ton of VHS Tapes that I need to put on DVD,and the manual has no helpful nformation on Transferring VHS to DVD.

5. The manual says something about after 250 (I think it's 20) Optimizations of the HDD, the Hard Disk becomes damaged, how does this happen, and is there a way to stop it from Automatically Optimizing the HDD?

6. According to the manual, I can only "write" to the HS2 a certain amount of times. Does this mean I can only used the hDD a certain amount of times without erasing a program, or I caon only use the HS2's HDD a certain amount of times ever?

7. Why does the HS2 create a new "Chapter" every 5 minutes? IS this just to "Fast Forward" thorugh the DVD by "jumping" chapters, or is it because the HS2 can't handle "Long" Videos?

8. This is probably a dumb question, but is htere any way to create "Interactive Menus" on the DMR-HS2? (My GUess is No, but I haven't hooked it up yet)

9. Can I use the HS2 ona Cable-Ready TV without a "Converter Box", the wa I use my VHS VCR? (I have a Basic Cable TV and I really dont'feel like getting a thrid Converter box for the TV I'm conecting the HS2 too, it costs too much)

10. Finally, can I copy a show from the TV or a VHS Video Cassette (assuming it's not copy-protected, I don't want to pirate shows, I just want to savea few favorites), by copying to the HDD first, than dubbing to a DVD-RAM, and then after "editing" the commericals from the show, copying from the DVD-RAM, or the HS2's HDD to a DVD-R that can be played in another DVD player after the Disc is finalized?

Thank you in advance for the help, and please answer whatever you can, I've never used a DVD Recorder before, and I have alot of questions about it, such as weather or not I can "rename" a show so it isn't recorded over by the HS2.

Regards,
    Cyrax9
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! You have a ton of questions and it sounds like you haven't even plugged it in yet! You might understand the basics if you try to use it. Anything you record on the hard drive can easily be erased. I will make a few comments.

1. Anything you record from basic cable won't be a digital signal. No worries there about the number of times you copy it. Also, when you record something on the hard drive you can edit out the commercials at that point. No need to use DVD-RAM. You can't burn a DVD-R using the DVD-RAM as a source.

2. Auto Erase has to be "turned on" by you when you set up the timed recording. If you don't want it to erase the previous week's episode then you don't select it.

4. Just connect the VCR to your HS2 using the audio/video out on your VCR and one of the audio/video in on your HS2. Use your remote to select the correct input (the one your VCR is plugged into) and also to select the hard drive and the recording quality. Press play on the VCR and record on the HS2. It's that easy. Remember, if your VHS tapes are copy protected the HS2 will refuse to copy them.

8. No fancy menus. When you finalize a DVD-R you can pick one of nine menus. If you used playlists with titles, these titles will appear on the menu. These menus are not completely ugly, but you still get one even if you would rather not have one. And if you don't put a title on it you'll end up with a blank menu. Kinda stupid.

9. Yes. Just plug the cable into the HS2 and run a cable from the HS2 to the TV, just like it's a VCR.

10. Yes. Like I said in answer #1, keep the DVD-RAM out of the loop. When do you use the DVD-RAM? You can use the DVD-RAM to archive things from the hard drive that you will want to put back on the hard drive at a later date. You can use DVD-RAM to get video onto your computer, if your computer is setup to read DVD-RAM disks. You can record shows directly onto DVD-RAM, if your hard drive is full, and then later copy the shows onto the hard drive when you are ready to burn the DVD-R.

Hope that helps.

Tux
    Quote Quote  
  12. Tux,

I've posted this elsewhere and gotten no reply. Maybe you can help me.

I've had my HS2 since the 19th, and I'm experienced with the format because I also own the DMR-E10 and the DMR-E20. I'm assuming that the high-speed dubs from HDD to DVD-RAM and vice versa are digital, but what about the real-time dubs from HDD to DVD-R? Are they also digital, or are they analog?
    Jim R.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jim -

That's a question that has been debated on other websites. Until someone reverse engineers it or Panasonic reveals the inner workings of the HS2, we can only speculate based on picture comparisons and scopes. The general opinion is that there is an additional process that takes place when dubbing from the hard drive to DVD-R. I'm not sure if the video goes through a D-A-D process or is just re-encoded. You can read various opinions at adsforum.com concerning this and many other aspects of the HS2.

Here is a sample from a member named vferrari:
    (he is responding to questions as to why he puts his video onto DVD-RAM and transfers it to his computer for DVD-R burning.)

"The reason that the PC method (specifically, direct import of the DVD-RAM vro into DVD Workshop) is "superior" to an HS2 HDD to DVD-R dub is primarily the fact that it appears that the dubbing method apparently results in an additional digital-to-analog-to-digital conversion which will introduce some loss (albeit, probably not very noticeable). This is not the case with HDD to DVD-RAM "dubs" which are really digital transfers. Of course, if you record to DVD-R direct (instead of via the hard drive) then you only have the analog-to-digital conversion (which also occurs when you record to HDD and to DVD-RAM. I also suspect that an analog conversion takes place even when you record via the firewire input but I have no firm evidence that this is the case. In any event a transcode step has to take place to convert the compressed DV digital stream to an mpeg-2 digital stream which will result in some loss regardless of whether the whole transfer is kept in the digital domain or not). I have not seen the dreaded black level bug on my direct to DVD-R recordings using the DMR-E20 so I cannot comment on that. Finally, the icing on the cake for the PC method is indeed the custom menus and chapter stops to dress up the disk as well as the fact that authoring and burning DVD-R from DVD-RAM may actually be faster than waiting for the real time HDD-to-DVD-R dubs."

As far as I know, no one has any engineering data that reveals exactly what the HS2 does in regard to DVD-R's.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Tux
    Quote Quote  
  14. Tux,

Thanks for the reply. I sent e-mail to Panasonic a few days ago in which I posed the same question to them. I have yet to receive a reply.

I guess the operative phrase is "albeit, probably not very noticeable." I experimented yesterday with dubbing a DVD-RAM disc to DVD-R (first ripping the RAM contents to HDD). I was quite pleased with the results, and that was in the LP speed. (I find that I'm not anywhere near as critical of the LP as are some people who post here. Maybe they have better eyes.)

If Panasonic ever gets back to me with an answer, I'll be sure to post the reply.

Thanks again.
    Jim R.
    Quote Quote  
  15. On 11/20 I e-mailed Panasonic to get an answer to the following
    question:

I have a question about the dubbing process. It's clear that high-
    speed dubs from DVD-RAM to the hard drive and from the hard drive to
    DVD-RAM are digital dubs. Can you tell me whether dubs made in
    real-time are *also* digital, or are they analog?
    Here is Panasonic's reply, which I received today (11/29):

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Panasonic DMR-HS2 and
    dubbing. Any time you dub from the Hard Disk in the DMR-HS2 to a
    DVD-RAM or DVD-R it is done digitally.

Best regards,
    Panasonic Customer Call Center
    Panasonic Customer Products 22
    Jim R.
    Quote Quote  
  16. [quote="resinger"]On 11/20 I e-mailed Panasonic to get an answer to the following
    question:

I have a question about the dubbing process. It's clear that high-
    speed dubs from DVD-RAM to the hard drive and from the hard drive to
    DVD-RAM are digital dubs. Can you tell me whether dubs made in
    real-time are *also* digital, or are they analog?
    Here is Panasonic's reply, which I received today (11/29):

[quote]Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Panasonic DMR-HS2 and

Wow!
    Well that at the very least answers our questions and I an pleased however I
    am still curious as to why you cant high speed dub to dvd-r???
    You dont know this do you?
    Quote Quote  
  17. ...however I am still curious as to why you can't high speed dub to dvd-r??? You don't know this do you?
    Well, this is a wild guess and may have nothing to do with the real reason, but it appears that Panasonic is committed to ensuring that you can't turn the HS2 into a DVD factory. They make it impossible to dub a DVD or a DVD-R to the hard drive, and if you should be able to somehow get copyrighted material on the hard drive, say with some kind of Macrovision killer, then at least you won't be able to duplicate it any faster than real-time.
    Jim R.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by resinger
    ...however I am still curious as to why you can't high speed dub to dvd-r??? You don't know this do you?
    Well, this is a wild guess and may have nothing to do with the real reason, but it appears that Panasonic is committed to ensuring that you can't turn the HS2 into a DVD factory. They make it impossible to dub a DVD or a DVD-R to the hard drive, and if you should be able to somehow get copyrighted material on the hard drive, say with some kind of Macrovision killer, then at least you won't be able to duplicate it any faster than real-time.
    Yeah! I think you are right. Makes me wonder that maybe in the future the
    crack guys will be able to make mods to the HS2 like removal of CGMS and
    macrovision and even increase the hard drive to maybe 80GB and while I am at
    it high speed dubs for all!!!!!!!!!
    Now that's what I want for Christmas!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Panasonic DMR-HS2 and

Best regards,
    Panasonic Customer Call Center
    Panasonic Customer Products 22
    Although the dub may be digital (no digital-analog-digital conversion) my guess is that there is a re-encode or transcode of the original recording on the hard drive when dubbing to dvd-r. This may or may not cause noticeable degradation depending on the source quality and settings.

As to the limitation to real-time dubbing to dvd-r this may be just a limit of the burner mechanism in the dmr-hs2. To my knowledge Panasonic PC dvd-ram/dvd-r drives only burn dvd-r at 1x speed and the dmr-hs2 is probably using the same or similar drive.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Although the dub may be digital (no digital-analog-digital conversion) my guess is that there is a re-encode or transcode of the original recording on the hard drive when dubbing to dvd-r. This may or may not cause noticeable degradation depending on the source quality and settings.
    I dubbed a DVD-RAM originally recorded in LP to a DVD-R, also in LP, and I didn't detect any significant degradation of the copy, at least not from viewing distance. In any case, it beats the analog copies I was making by mating the DMR-E10 with the DMR-E20.

As to the limitation to real-time dubbing to dvd-r this may be just a limit of the burner mechanism in the dmr-hs2. To my knowledge Panasonic PC dvd-ram/dvd-r drives only burn dvd-r at 1x speed and the dmr-hs2 is probably using the same or similar drive.
    Ah! Well, that would explain it then. I wasn't aware of the Panasonic 1x speed limit.
    Jim R.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Quote:

Ah! Well, that would explain it then. I wasn't aware of the Panasonic 1x speed limit.
    What kind of 1x speed limit would this be tho?

You can transfer 4.7Gb to a DVD-RAM in about 30 minutes.
    You can dub 4.7Gb at XP mode in 1 hour.
    You can dub 4.7Gb at SP mode in 2 hours.
    You can dub 4.7Gb at EP mode in 6 hours (EP sucks so I haven't tried that).

Unless I'm missing something with DVD technology (I only moved into this arena last Monday with the purchase of the HS2), the drive has to be capable of at least 4x to transfer a DVD-RAM in 30 minutes.

The only realistic restriction I could see is the processing power of the unit. It lets you change the speed at which you record from the speed at which it data is stored on the HDD. So you could record at SP then dub at XP (you'd be stupid because you lost the quality by saving it in SP mode). There could be some kind of wiggle-room to stop it crapping out when you do live conversion from one mode to another.

But I'm putting my money on the "we don't want you using this as a DVD factory". The way everything else is set up on this unit - the inability to copy DVD-Rs straight to the HDD, the length they go to explain the CPRM (or whatever the protection system is called - I'm making up acronyms off the top of my head) in the manual, the fact that you cannot interface with a PC or Mac running OS-X, the fact that it has a PC card which would be so damn easy to ram a wireless lan card into yet all you can do is order reprints of your digital pictures (like I'm really going to pay $1000 for that feature!) - all of it leads me to believe that this machine is restricted mainly by the security measures on it.

I'm sure that it does have some limitations which removing the security would expose. I'm sure that the PC Card does not have the wiring to do any kind of high speed data transfer to the HDD. But I'm sure that if it had the right (or wrong) software on it, it could do a hell of a lot more than it does right now.

Not that I'm complaining - being able do do direct dubs of 1hr 40 min U2 concerts to a full DVD-R at FR mode (better than SP) and being able to catalog archives of U2 footage from VH1 and MTV whilst editing the commercials out on the HDD first is all the technology I need. It rocks. I just wish I knew enough about firmware to help out on the quest to make it rock more... (not that I'm going to risk $1000 worth of equipment by poking around inside like the enthusiasts on avsforum.com have done with theirs ))

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  22. Tux--

Your help is greatly appreciated, I've had the HS2 hooked up for a little more than a wekk now and I have another question, which is somewhat differetn than the past few.

Here's the question: I'm "practicing' editingon the Supplied DVD-RAM Disc, before I burn a DVD-R, the reason for this was simple, I wanted to make sure the HS2 worked when I got it. Now here's my question: Can I Capture Video to my PC via the S-Video Out on the HS2? The reason I ask is ebcause I ahve a Capture Card (A DC10Plus), and I don't have a firewire port, but I still want to edit some Videos I record, than record in real-time back to the HS2, is this possible?

Also when you say I can recorda "Copy-Protected" VHS tape, do you mean a Tape that's had the Tab broken off to prevent accidental erasure or a Tape with Copy-Protection? I know I can copy a VHS Tape with a chipped Tab to anohter VHS Tape, but I dn't know about the HS2, is it possible?

I knwo these are pretty sill questions, but I'm gradually learning how to use the HS2.

Also should I buy a UPS for the HS2? The Manual says I can lose HDD Data if it loses power, what's your suggestion on this?

Thank you in advance,
    Regards,
    Cyrax9
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi folks, I just got the HS2 and have finalzed two DVD-R's. I have some problems I need to resolve, maybe someone had the same problems and can help? Here's what' s happend so far:

First attempt to make a DVD-R:
    -------------------------------------
    - used Circuit City's cheap DVD-R brand
    - SP mode
    - recorded direct to DVD
    - pressed pause sometimes
    - made 9 programs
    - about 1 hour, 50 minutes

Results: plays perfect in the HS2. One program has severe video and audio breakup when playing in my Panasonic RV27. Plays near pefect in the Panasonic RV32 at the store (guess the RV27 is out of date?).

Second attempt to make a DVD-R:
    -------------------------------------
    - used TDK brand
    - XP mode
    - recorded direct to DVD
    - pressed pause sometimes
    - about 50 minutes total

Results: first and last programs play with lots of 'jitter', even when played back on the HS2. Programs in the middle play fine.

Did anyone have similar problems and fixed them? How? Should I stick with SP mode? I do use pause a lot. Is anyone making constitantly good DVD-R's that play back perfectly in the HS2 and other players too? Can you provide details?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
  24. Here's an update on my problems. The second disk, the TDK, now plays fine in the HS2! All I did was turn the HS2 off and go to bed! The next day it plays fine without jitter! Turning the HS2 off/on I guess fixed the jitter problem on the playback of the TDK. And the TDK plays very good on my other Panasonic player- just a little break up of video on the last program.

So after burning two disks, here are my actual results:

Cheap brand (Ditigal Media) recorded in SP
    -------------------------------------------------
    - perfect playback on HS2, severe breakup on on two programs on the Panasonic RV27

TDK recorded in XP mode
    ------------------------------
    - perfect playback on HS2, and almost perfect playback on RV27, minor video breakup on last chapter
    Quote Quote  
  25. Mikejf, I have been using my dmr-hs2 for a few weeks now to backup old videos and some off the air stuff. For all things that I plan on burning to dvd-r I record to the hard drive, then edit out the stuff I don't want. I haven't had any playback problems on my dmr-hs2 or apex 703, and I'm using cheap media. If you're doing a lot of pauses, this might be something to try.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I saw on this thread a questions weather you can play a dvd from a standalone to the HDD then record onto a DVD-R, yes you can, my brother and I hookup a Sampo 631CF DVD Player, played any DVD we wanted over to his HDD in the XP or SP mode edited what scenes we wanted out then backed up that DVD on a DVD-R in the SP mode, makes it great for editing R rated of PG-13 movies down so kids can watch them. I am only aware of the Sampo 631cf DVD player that can do this, after a simple Firmware upgrade.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great thread...would like to add a few questions.

1. Anyone know at what bitrate the audio is recorded (of an A/V recording)? Variable and dependant on mode? I shoot for 6000mbps combined using 90min. in FP mode but have no idea how the actual video vs audio rates compare.
    **EDIT** Just found the answer to this one...looks like it records audio at 256kb/s @44khz.

2. A/V outputs...I have no problem displaying video through any of the auxilary outputs but can not get any signal from the coax to my TV. Am I missing something. (Don't ask why I have only a TV with coax A/V only inputs at the moment.
    **EDIT** Also found the answer to this one. The manual advises to attach the RF Output (coax) to the TV but goes on to state "The picture and sound signal does not go through the 75ohm coax to the TV"! ...Then why should it ever even get attached?

3. Just how much does the bitrate of DVD-R's effect their playback ability on additional DVD players, standalone & PC (1-2hr FP's will not play in Apex1201's)?

4. What effect will a highly fragmented HD have on recording quality? Think it may reduce the record bitrate especially in the XP mode?

All in all I love the flexibility of this unit with the integral HD! Could not imagine one without! The only thing truly missing is the ability to input menu/title info via a keyboard. Since I do many recordings with many "Divides" added I find I tend to MS-DOS style my menus.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

Regards,
    Golem
    Quote Quote  
  28. I crossed over today and purchased the DMR. ($775 w/shipping) Now I know I will want to do some editing on my pc as well. I assume that the only way to do that is to buy a DVD-ROm reader. Can anyone confirm and also let me know what reader i should purchase.
    thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Just wanted to post an update to my dvd-r playback problems (see few posts back). My problem is that the dvd-r's I make on the HS2 play back fine on the HS2 but have severe playback breakup on my other Panasonic dvd player, model RV27.

Good news. I have now played my dvd-r's (the same ones that play back poor in the RV27) in sveral other dvd players and they appear to play back flawlessly (good name brand dvd players, not cheapies).

So far, it's only the Panasonic RV27 that has playback problems of the dvd-r's I make in the HS2. Thus, I don't recommend the Panasonic RV27 player.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  30. We just got our HS2 and I'm trying to get my sealegs. I have a little experience capturing, editing and authoring using a Sony Vaio Gigapocket system. Like someone else previously, I'd like to be able to go back and forth between them. First, to get good menus from the PC on things recorded on the HS2 (and maybe other editing so my husband can watch the bigscreen television now and then??) and second, to get DVD's that were too long for one disk previously, copied over to the HS2 for transferring back to a single DVD-R using FR (hopefully). This leads to 2 questions:

1. We just did a test of recording something to a DVD-RAM (Panasonic), which of course plays fine in the HS2. But my DVD drive on the Sony Vaio (Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-103) doesn't recognize the disk at all. Does this make sense? Am I out of luck from the get-go? If it's a brand thing on the Vaio, I read at the recorder reviews that the HS2 doesn't really like to use any RAMs other than Panasonic (altho it didn't seem to care much about the DVD-R brand).

2. In a first read thru of the manual (you'll pardon the expression) and a few clicks on some "test recordings," I didn't see any way to build a play list drawn from multiple recordings --- just from within a single one. I had hoped the way I'd join the 2 DVD-RAMs (assuming I can figure out how to build them from my computer in the first place) was by putting the 2 disks onto a single playlist and then burn the playlist back to a RAM or -R. Have just not looked long enough?

3. Sorry - last one led to a third .... building the DVD onto RAM's in the computer --- make it a volume or an image on the RAM?

Thanks for any help .... 25 days till the free return is up

NLE (And no, I'm not nonlinear )
    Quote Quote