VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

I really want to make all my old vhs tapes into vcd's, but I don't know where to get started. I would like quality to be nice and product to be affordable. My husband has given me a budget of $300 total and that's it! I tried Dazzle Digital Creator and the stupid thing made one good mpeg. After that the audio and video were out of sync! Pain in the butt! I know I don't have the most up to date computer , but I was told by some workers at Comp USA that it was because my video card was sucky and they proceeded to tell me I needed a new video card, then I needed more memory, then more hard drive... Needless to say I was very discouraged. There has to be some way for me to put these tapes on vcd w/out having to practiclly buy a whole new computer system. Here are all the facts on my computer. Any help would be VERY appreciated.

I have a Compaq Presario Model #7598
    Operating System - Windows 98 SE
    Processor - Pentium III at 600 MHz
    Memory - 128 Megabytes
    Hard Drive - 34.525 GB
    Primary Graphics Controller - Intel 82810e-DC133 Graphics Controller
    Sound Controlles - ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM)
    1 open PCI slot
    cd rom and cd burner

If you need any more information on my computer please ask I need some good advice.
    Thanks so much,
    Ness
    Quote Quote  
  2. Operating System - Windows 98 SE
    Processor - Pentium III at 600 MHz
    Memory - 128 Megabytes
    Hard Drive - 34.525 GB
    Primary Graphics Controller - Intel 82810e-DC133 Graphics Controller
    128 Megs more wouldn't hurt for as cheap as it is right now. You'll definitely see a difference with a new video card, but it may not make a difference when ripping or converting. The other is useable.

I've tried using the Dazzle thingie for the same purpose too. The audio was very overmodulated. I read in here once about having a fan blowing on the Dazzle to keep it cool because it could be dropping frames. I can't testify to that though.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    -----------------------------
    http://www.chatsouth.net
    Hosting/Chatrooms/Email
    FP/MySQL/CGI/PERL/PHP
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can your card capture to AVI?, in my experience most mpeg1 or mpeg2 capture cards are not good enough to preserve the already low quality of most home vhs movies. I have had acceptable results by first capturing to AVI in a resolution of 640x480 and then converting to VCD using TMPEGenc (free software). As for your computer, mine is PIII 500mhz and is good enough for most of my digital video projects; altough I have to admit I would save a lot of time if it were faster.

There is aguide to the lefth that describes what you are trying to do in more detail.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would suggest looking into the Canopus ADVC-100. This capture device has user comments posted in Capture Cards.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't have a capture card. Is that all I need? Do the capture cards hook up to the vcr like the Dazzle thing did? If they do then I guess I just need some advice on which card will work w/ the system I have. I looked up the Canopus ADVC-100 and it requires a firewire port that I don't have. I have a USB port and 1 pci slot free. If I could figure out what kind of capture card to get then I guess that would do it. Any suggestions? Maybe something closer to the $150 range so I don't blow my whole budget on one thing.

Thanks all!!!

Annessa,
    Quote Quote  
  6. Assuming that you already have a CD burner, then I would say that, yes you only need a decent AVI capture card to do what you whant. I recomend going for the PCI type, I personally have an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 video card that uses the AGP port in my computer but a PCI type should work just as well, mine cost me $115 so I think your $300 budget should give you enough room to choose from

Computer hardware changes overnight so I recomend consulting the capture cards section in this website, or your local computer store. you could also do a quick internet search in the sites that review electronics and computer hardware.

P.S. Be sure to buy yours in a store that gives you the option to return a product no questions ask, as it is imposible to predict how a particular piece of computer hardware will interact with the rest of your computer, even when other people speak wonders of it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I read in some place here on VCDHelp about how to fix out of sync video and audio using the Goldwave, there is also a link to download and guide how to use it. You need to insert a silence during a time to fix the offset time.

Here is the link http://www.vcdhelp.com/sync.htm.

Hope this helps.
    Limits are in your mind...........
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Yep, you definitely need to check that the capture card you get will be compatible with your Compaq. I had one that conflicted with the bios, and it took them a really long time to come up with a fix (by then, I had built my own computer).

I would try adding 128 mgs of ram to your computer first. Then try using the dazzle again (if you still have it). Capture in the highest quality that it's capable of, and try not to capture more than an hour at a time. Then use tmp to convert the mpeg you've got into a vcd or svcd compatible mpeg.

After you play around with this, if you're still not happy, then try the new capture card route.

Good luck! It takes awhile to get good at this, I've been working on it for a year and a half, and I'm just now pretty satisfied with my results. I'd say capturing from vhs is the hardest, because the quality varies so much, as does the signal you get from the vcr to the computer. It definitely takes a lot of patience.

Lizzo
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Get the Canopus ADVC-1394. It has a built in fireware card. Works the same as the ADVC-100.
    I have this and it works GREAT!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Actually I don't have the Dazzle. I returned it because their tech guy said it must have been faulty cause I tried everything and I do mean everything on their website to fix the out of sync problem and nothing worked. That's when the Comp USA workers proceeded to tell me I needed to buy over $700 worth of stuff to get decent vcd's from my computer. I can't afford that! I have been trying to figure out on my own what to do and I get confused w/ all the different stuff. If all I need is a capture card then I think maybe I can do this. At least I hope I can. Is there anything besides the capture card that you have to get? Are all capture cards made so that you can plug the vcr into it or just some? How do I know which one my vcr will plug into?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm going to be a little biased here....but I'd stay away from 99% of the people at the consumer stores like that. I read alot into things sometimes, and maybe that's what I'm doing now. I just think he saw you as coming in not being so knowledgable and tried to make a sale off of you.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Hosting/Chatrooms/Email
    FP/MySQL/CGI/PERL/PHP
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't think you'll be happy with the results you will get on VCD. Each VCD will only hold about 30 minutes and the results will look noticably worse than the originals.

It took me many months and lots of money to come to that conclusion.
    Here are my suggestions:

1) If you only want to make short fun videos to show the family, then go ahead with VCD's. Keep the original tapes!

2) If you want to preserve cherished family video buy a DVD writer and a large hard drive. Capture in avi format and then edit. Better yet find a pro in your area and pay him/her to do it.

3) If you want to preserve cherished family video and stay in your budget buy a GoVideo VCR. This is a regular VCR like you are used to using but it has two slots in it. It can make perfect copies. It also has editing features that make it fairly easy to rearrange scenes. In my opinion this is currently your best bet if you are not willing to lose quality. You can buy special long lasting video tapes and copy everything to new tapes so that they will not deteriorate (repeat every 5 to 10 years).

I do not claim any to be an expert. 18 months ago I thought if I bought a fast computer and a good video card I would be able to put all my family videos on CD's and throw away my old out-dated tapes. I have just recently gotten to the point where I could make some pretty good DVD's but there is a slight loss in quality (for one thing the colors are slightly washed out and too bright). I want my DVD's to be indistinguishable from the originals. I'll keep learning.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I want my DVD's to be indistinguishable from the originals. I'll keep learning.
    Hence your very biased misunderstanding. Some of us can deal with a little loss of quality and have a movie on one CD. If you want that "indistinguishable" copy, buy a DVD Writer.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Hosting/Chatrooms/Email
    FP/MySQL/CGI/PERL/PHP
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by presto
    Each VCD will only hold about 30 minutes and the results will look noticably worse than the originals.
    Care to explain why you can only get 30 min on VCD ?

What size disks are you using ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. >Hence your very biased misunderstanding. Some of us can deal with a little loss of quality and have a movie on one CD. If you want that "indistinguishable" copy, buy a DVD Writer.<

I believe that is what I said.

>Care to explain why you can only get 30 min on VCD ?<

I haven't worked with VCD's in a while because the quality for me was not acceptable. I should have been more careful with my words and said that using a CDRW burner and making a non compliant disk (XVCD) you can approach DVD quality but in all likelihood you will only fit about 30 min on a disk. I know folks have done much better than that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. If you look around this site for information you will find that using a TV capture card for converting vhs tapes will result in you having audio sync problems in the resulting VCD. If you want to avoid a lot of problems the Canopus ADVC-100 along with a $40 firewire card is a very good solution. This will probably max out what you are willing to spend but will save you a lot of frustration.

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect
    everyone who approaches that jewel
    [/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Annessa,

I faced the same problem that you have, a lot of old VHS tapes and a limited budget. Here is what I did.

As I had A Dell Laptop with USB I purchased a HAUPPAUGE WIN TV PVR- USB, they also come as a PCI card.

I also installed 256 MEG of memory.

Usually I can get a 2 HR. movie on 2 cds at VCD qulity.

I have been very pleased with the WINTV PVR and they include just good enough software for editing and encoding.

Total cost under $300 with some left over to buy a 100 pak of cd-rs.

Glad to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,
    James Gross
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thank you, James! You and fmctm1sw and the others here have been super helpful! I think I am close to making a decision. I just have to think on it for a few more days and a paycheck and I will be on my way to converting!!! I understand so much more now. I haven't decided if I am gonna go w/ the WinTV-PVR-usb which looks like I wouldn't have any problems or WinTV-PVR-250. Both sound like they could work for me. But in the end it will be my husbands choice as he controls the purse strings and he said $300 but last night he was like maybe we should cut it to $200 and if it keeps going down before I know it he'll be saying Christmas! At least I know what I'm looking for now and what it's gonna cost when I can get it out of him!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by presto
    >

>Care to explain why you can only get 30 min on VCD ?<

I haven't worked with VCD's in a while because the quality for me was not acceptable. I should have been more careful with my words and said that using a CDRW burner and making a non compliant disk (XVCD) you can approach DVD quality but in all likelihood you will only fit about 30 min on a disk. I know folks have done much better than that.
    I see...

Well naturally the source plays a big part in the quality, all the DVD rips I have on VCD are almost as good as the originals and on 2 disks.

The problem with XVCD is that not everyone can play them, and with people trying to cram everything on one disk, they would scream if they had to use 4 disks
    Quote Quote