VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't see the word portable on the search. I'm looking for a portable to play SVCD, DVD with a screen on it.

Jon
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't added portable yet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry Baldrick,

I misread your initial message and now see the word "may". Great work !!

I'm looking for an inexpensive portable player, I'd even take one that doesn't play DVDs, but just VCD and SVCD.

Jon
    Quote Quote  
  4. How about a "Sort By Price" feature. That would be useful.
    "With great power comes great responsibility"
    WHO AM I? - I'm SPIDERMAN-(for real)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure would be nice to be able to search for progressive scan.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by elmonty
    Sure would be nice to be able to search for progressive scan.
    Yes, that is one feature I always REALLY wanted to see.

Thanks for the great list as it stand currently!
    Quote Quote  
  7. It would be nice to be able to search for player that is region and microvision free - at least it would be helpful as it takes for ever to go through an each and every one of them to find out if they are or could be both those things - well, I am new so what do I know, right
    BTW - awesome site with a lot and lot of gooodies
    Quote Quote  
  8. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Region of purchase and ability to set purchase price in the local currency (maybe with an automatic side conversion to dollars?). Players such as my Supervision are only sold e.g. in Sterling and Euro countries and either have no price entered, as people dont want to do the conversion or dont know it, as well as quite a few gonzo prices when they get it wrong (eg $100 for £80, when it should be $50... or was that the other way round.. I dont know rightly anymore but both were entered)

PAL/NTSC conversion, maybe a link to a simple guide to how you can tell? After all when you see a TV switching between a 100% standard PAL and 100% standard NTSC picture, and back, you can tell which is which and get to recognise the change in future. The subtle change in scanning frequency and chord (15750/60hz to 15625/50hz), for example, is a good *audible* clue if you have ears that can detect ~16khz, plus the appearance of far-too-obvious scanlines when the beam is running at a line number different from what the tube was built for (525 on a tube dotted & masked for 625 or vice versa - not applicable for trinitrons! - but a difference in rez is still apparent).
    And the biggest giveaway is usually on TVs with OSD's.. on NTSC it will be a little bigger, and/or have characters that appear slightly clipped vertically, as well as having the extra "tint" control apparent, compared to PAL.
    If I'm ever not 100% sure what standard I'm running, can always go to the picture controls section of my TV's menu...

Which is how I know my DVD player can do "proper" PAL-NTSC or NTSC-PAL conversion rather than just putting out a frequency-modified signal in the native signal format, even though it's not very good at it..
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  9. is there a way to add a VCD header option too...
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will soon add the features I have listed in the first post. Any new features are welcome.

Can anyone write a short explanation how to check if your dvd player supports pal/ntsc real conversion??? How they should check it and so, so they don't just add it because their tv supports both formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When do you plan to add the progressiv scan feature?
    Soon please
    Also consider adding a section "FREE hack' available (Region and macrovision). So many of the hacks are very expensive and involve hardware changes.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. I recently bought one of the top-rated players in the list and discovered that it doesn't support menus in svcd mode. How about adding that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please can we have the "search by progressive scan" feature enabled soon?
    Secondly how about enabling "free hack available" as a search field. This could be something"confirmed as being present by a moderator", no need to check if it works just that it is not a "SPAM " posting to a web site offering expensive mod chips.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Updated the list
    • added dvd-ram playback
    • added multisystem, real pal/ntsc conversion
    • added portable dvd player
    • added re-enable progressive scan
    • added re-enable dolby digital
    • added re-enable dts
    • added tv-dvd combo
    • added svcd with vcd headers

remember that YOU must report about the features so it will take a while until the list will be kinda accurate.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Most player can't do digital to analog outs on the fly as they're playing the movie. My Pioneer 525 could do DD to the analogs at the same time but wouldn't do DTS at all. My Cyberhome 500 will do both formats to the analog outs and even to the 5.1 outs and you don't even have to set the format, it can be changed from DD/ DTS while it playing and downconverts both types, appears to be the only machine that does both so that would be a good feature to add to the list.
    All of my other chinese type machines do analog outs or digital only and have to be set before either works.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I removed the built-in/integrated DD and DTS decoder features from the list. Too many report wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Can anyone write a short explanation how to check if your dvd player supports pal/ntsc real conversion??? How they should check it and so, so they don't just add it because their tv supports both formats.
    I am stumped really. My DVD player manual (Pioneer DV-K301) says that it can convert signals. It has a toggle switch on the real panel that toggled between AUTO --> PAL --> NTSC. The manual says:

AUTO: Video output of the disk will be played in the original format
    PAL: PAL Disk will be played back as PAL. For NTSC disk signal will be converted to PAL.
    NTSC: Vice-versa of PAL position.

I have two TV's at home. My older TV is PAL only. When I connect my DVD player to this TV, I have to set the switch position to PAL, else NTSC disks don't show up. My other (new) TV is multi-system and hence I could not check whether the player converts PAL signals to NTSC. I am trusting that PAL can be converted to NTSC by my player.

Regards,
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi,

I was wondering what the criteria are for re-adding sacd option? Any idea when this feature will be back?

My feeling is that a lot of people are currently interested in players that support divx and sacd (as well as all the other already-more-standard options like mp3, vcd, svcd etc.).

By the way: to my knowledge there is no player yet that supports the whole bunch of formats.... including divx and sacd?
    Quote Quote  
  19. The Pioneer 563 does SACD and DVD audio, it also does JPG's and MP3 on dvd or cdr disks, it wont do MPG's or divx formats.
    You just about need 2 players to cover all of the things you want. The LieOn lvd 2001 will do most DIVX files and all of the other normal computer type things others do including WMA files. It will also read them from dvd disks.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have seen those players. I prefer the kiss though, since it has an ethernet connection (the liteon doesn't, does it?). Especially the new models that you can find on the site - kiss-technology.com - with tv-tuner and HDD-recording (digital video) look very nice, although quite expensive (around 600 euro).
    By the way, philips also comes with a divx player. I think you can find it on club.philips.com. Good news if the big corps get in the game. Maybe it won't take too long then before the sacd option is added as well.
    Quote Quote  
  21. how about adding Digital Optical Out (Y\N) and RGB Scart out(Y\N)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Many new DVD players include support for HighMat Audio and Video. Soon Apex and Panasonic will have support for HighMat video(Windows Media 9). Please include these in the list as they come available.
    Quote Quote  
  23. OK, How about also a DVI output? Many new HDTV's are coming out with DVI inputs. and the SAT recievers and DVD players coming with DVI outputs.
    Quote Quote  
  24. dvd players with 1080i/720 output (dvi or YPbPr)
    Quote Quote  
  25. What about to add voltage supported ? Interesting feature for people that moves from one country to another or for "abroad shoppers".

110V/60Hz, 220V/50Hz, Both
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cradix
    Screen savers would be sweet! What are some current examples?
    Apex AD-1200 has a screen saver that comes on after DVD has been paused, or is sitting idle for 5 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I just bought a the Bravo D1 player which features DVI output so maybe add that to the list since it won't be long before a lot of players offer DVI.
    Quote Quote  
  28. May be it's time to add DVI in the feature list for searching?
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I will soon add some new features and maybe remove some.

New formats:
    WMV
    DVD-MPEG1/2 ISO (mpeg1/2 files on dvd)
    DivX selectable subtitles
    DVD-JPG
    DVD-WMA

New features:
    DVI output
    Home Cinema System
    DVD Recorder
    Ethernet connection

Remove:
    SACD and DVD-Audio because too many still reports wrong about it.
    DVD-VCD because it is within the dvd standard.
    Region code information, I will only have a link to the dvd hacks section

Should I add some separate for xvid or different divx/mpe4 formats? I maybe will do it later.

Anyone seen any wmv players??

And what about highmat features?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by donpedro
    What about to add voltage supported ? Interesting feature for people that moves from one country to another or for "abroad shoppers".

110V/60Hz, 220V/50Hz, Both
    One think I forgot is that some of players use DC (12V for example)....
    Quote Quote