Requirements:
    Win9x/Me/NT/2kPro/Xp
    Windows Media Player 7
    STOIK Video Converter
    Your Essential Codecs

Related download site for STOIK Video Converter
    http://downloads.zdnet.co.uk/downloads/detail/1002-2194-10113470.html
    http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/58950.html
    http://www.windowspc.com/start.pl?page=/multimedia/STOIK_Video_Converter.htm

Launch Stoik VC program
    Input file -> Click "Browse for input File..." from drop down menu and select your WMV file.
    Output File -> Click "Browse for Output file..." from drop down menu, to where your saving as avi format.
    OUtput file type -> Audio video interleaved(Avi) leave defaulted

Rendering options
    Current at the beta stage, but after the process is complete the video will retain its orginal sound and screen size.
    So make sure "Keep input file parameters" is checked.(or play as you will)

Clip Splitting mode
    "Don't split video to clip sequence" leave defaulted

So easy right? No plots, Stems or Strings; removes all the guess work.
    Now to the final touches.

Compression options
    Video compressor to write AVI File ->Click drop down menu and select your video codecs
    then goto Advanced -> adjust your quality/key frame/data rate if needed.

Click configure which will open your DivX codec Properties. Adjust accordingly.

Audio Compressor to write AVI file -> by default select PCM or Microsoft ADPCM
    Now here's the down fall, unlike video compressor there's no option for mhz and kbits settings for the sound.
    If you attempt to convert with Mpeg Layer-3 you may go out of sync.
    (Dooh)But if you know your tools, this shouldn't be a problem.
    Hint..hint...Virtualdub

Depending on your processor speed this application tends to renders in realtime like graphedit.
    Now click Start.
    (note: To increase fps(frames per seconds) uncheck "Show Preview" which decreases processing time)

I hope this helps everyone, until next time America
    FireWalker and IceBreaker{BaWp}
    of Black and White Productions
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could we just rename the file to a .asf and use TMPGEnc?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was successful able to convert Pearl Harbor Part1 thru TmpEnc as WMV format but part2 was a pain in the but no matter what i tried.
    I just found alternative way around the problem besides using TmpEnc and GraphEdit.
    But this article was a how to for WMV to Avi only.
    Quote Quote  
  4. TMPGEnc handles some WMVs oddly, I just gave a couple a shot. Another alternative you can use EOVideo to convert WMV to AVI.

Thanks for the guide.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tanks for the Tip Mr. Faceman101, but where were you when GraphEdit was the only "How to Convert......" was available¿

So will you post a "How to Convert WMV to Avi with EOVideo w/o GraphEdit"¿

Just playing.
    I'll try EOVideo this weekend, its functions looks pretty call and a ½.

Peace
    Quote Quote  
  6. How does stoik handle the variable FRAMERATE that WMV often has.

Does it convert the framerate?

variable framerate is one hell of a bitch.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there anyway to encode it straight to mpeg? i have some limited space on this pc and cant convert a whole .wmv to .avi and i wanna be able to put it on a vcd disc and i cant do that with divx or xvid or any other .avi codec.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Lets ask the author for a Vfapi Plugin
    Quote Quote  
  9. EOVideo can convert it to MPG also I believe, give that a shot.

Also, varible framerate? I never heard of that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How does stoik handle the variable FRAMERATE that WMV often has.

Does it convert the framerate?

variable framerate is one hell of a bitch.

Well duhmez, if your using STOIK Video Convertor, I believe its not neccessary to adjust/change the framerate, this setting normal defaults to what every the your video file framerate would be.
    Whether its 29.97 or 23 it should be the same.

Is there anyway to encode it straight to mpeg? i have some limited space on this pc and cant convert a whole .wmv to .avi and i wanna be able to put it on a vcd disc and i cant do that with divx or xvid or any other .avi codec.

For "i-on-s" On rare occassions its possible for you to just drag and drop the WMV file into TmpgEnc and set your "Load settings to NTSC VIDEO" then start the convertion process without having to go thru STOIK convertor as avi then to mpeg.
    Most of the time its just trial and error.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @ Firewalker RE: Framerate.

Here is the problem. WMV files (v7 + V8 + probably v9)

utilize Variable FRAMERATE.

Thas right, part may be 20 fps, part may be 15 fpos, part may br 30 fps. This is a way they squeeze more quality and lower cpu usage for decoding, less moving scenes get less framerate and less data too.

Therein lies the problem. AVI and mpeg only support a constant framerate. To get proper sync, one needs to convert the framerate, which auses jerky playback and other issues. I testes stoik, and unfortunately, it did not properly handle the variable framerate and my video was completely out of sync.

I did maintain synch using hypercam to capture the screen while the video played, this captured uncompressed at a set framerate, and took up huge hard drive space but maintained perfect sync.

Rm has the same problem with variable framerates.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Prove me wrong but WMV and RM do not have a VARIBLE FRAMERATE.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Had a problem with the video. Stoik, tmpgenc and Graphedit kept showing just a blank grey screen, but I can watch the vid fine in mediaplayer.

Good thing someone from another forum said something about re-encoding the wmv in Windows Media Encoder while using mpeg4v3 codec. It works fine in Virtual dub afterwards.

Still, it would be nice to know why Stoik wouldnt work in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I followed the directions in the guide for STOIK video converter exactly, but I keep getting this message "Cannot open output file." This happens even with the sample wmv that is provided on the download page. I also tried changing the output file. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Servus
    I encountered the same problem. BUT: under the "Browse for Output file..." " tab you have to specify the output folder. There you have to enter any name + .avi! Then it works!
    Have a try

Diver
    Welcome - to the real world
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Faceman101
    Prove me wrong but WMV and RM do not have a VARIBLE FRAMERATE.
    Sayint that it doesnt and issuing a chalenge to prove you wrong in itself is prof that you've no idea what you are talking about.

They DO indeed have a varible Framerate.

Since they are intended to play on a pc, they can max out the bitrate with a variable framerate. Sources for TV output a variable framerate would be unsuitable.
    Quote Quote  
  17. duhmez wrote
    Sayint that it doesnt and issuing a chalenge to prove you wrong in itself is prof that you've no idea what you are talking about.

They DO indeed have a varible Framerate.
    Duhmez,
    I think that the kind of proof that Faceman101 was looking for is similar to the following image:

Unfortunately, fortunately...whatever, the image (screenshot from WindowsMovieMaker2) suggests that WMVs created with WMM2 have a variable BITRATE not FRAMERATE.
    Quote Quote