VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Sanyo has developed a new system "HD-Burn" (high-density) that will allow us to burn 1.4GB on a CD-R media (700MB)...

I'm really looking forward to this...

http://www.cdrlabs.com/#3

Check out this picture for a list of some companies supporting it...
    http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/0925/sanyo07.jpg
    later,
    alirio
    Quote Quote  
  2. Good concept but the disk can only be read in that type of drive(similar
    to DVD-RAM).I see this format going the way of Beta vcr's and DAT cassettes.
    I found a this link(check out the cartoon ):http://www.digital-sanyo.com/BURN-Proof/HD-BURN/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. ok so correct me if I'm wrong cause I have feeling I'm understanding it incorrectly...will I need to purchase a new DVD player that will support this technology?

I ask because I'm under the assumption that by just upgrading my Nero (when it's avail w/HD-Burn support) I can start burning 1.4GB of SVCD on a 700MB and just pop it in my exsisting DVD player and it will work. Or am I just dreaming here...
    later,
    alirio
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sony released a similar drive last year(1.3GB)but the disk can only be read in their drives and the writer cost $299US,about the same as DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sounds good i could do with a bit more space on my cd r
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    then buy a DVD burner, they're what, $60?
    Quote Quote  
  7. A bit more than that, about £83 is the cheapest I've seen. But I agree that no-one in their right mind will use CDR for high capacity storage in this day and age. 4.37 gigs is the standard for DVDR today and over 8 gigs per disc is coming in months. Time to move on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Seriously, it's like someone saying, "Look, I've just invented something that holds more data than a CD, less than a DVD, and can only be read by a handful of drives!!" It's practically like giving a soldier a spear when before he had a club, but after he was given an M-16 to replace the club.

Even if it cost less than a DVD, well, um, not interested.

It's almost as good when Gary Larson in his FAR SIDE cartoon had a salesman present someone with a piece of paper that says, "Double your IQ or no money back!!" "Uh, gee, I guess it sounds ok..."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    £40 including VAT.

Remember paying £180 for my 2X burner!
    Remember paying $7,000 for a Phillips CDD-521 2X burner.

I don't recall exactly...1992?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still got 1 of them somewhere!, allthough how I can forget where it is is beyond me cause of the size of it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Roderz
    I still got 1 of them somewhere!, allthough how I can forget where it is is beyond me cause of the size of it.

Look for big cracks in your walls. The weight of the burner is probably causing your floor to sag.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please not another format, besides it sounds like a step backward.. Anyone want to buy my 250mg zip drive?
    Big Government is Big Business.. just without a product and at twice the price... after all if the opposite of pro is con then wouldn’t the opposite of progress be congress?
    Quote Quote  
  13. then buy a DVD burner, they're what, $60?

Buying a DVD recorder is not going to help me out because I wont be able to play the songs in the car. the car stereo wont read DVD disks, only CD R. so what I want is a CD R that can hold more songs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. sorry Jo this aint it .. when you burn these hi capcity discs it makes them unreadable by every other drive.. other than another sanyo Cd-burner.
    Better to go for 99min media YOU CAN FIT TWO aLBUMS ON ONE OF THESE and they are compatible with everything normal.
    Also this is a re-launch .. they promised massive take up by other mfrs back in 03 and no-one else has bothered with it.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jo,

option one, but a CD player that supports MP3 (if you don;t do that already)

Option two, add a multichanger to your car.

Option three, buy a HDD based MP3 player.

Option four, build a carputer for movies, games, music and GPS.

Option five, buy an in car DVD player.

All of these options seem preferable to investing in a (frankly) crap proprietary technology.
    Quote Quote