VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I have had great results backing up DVD films using these programmes and this guide, all the programmes are easily obtainable and once DVD2SVCD is setup in the following way, there is no need to touch the settings again for future copies. All the tricky bits are done for you by DVD2SVCD, with the backups I have done this way I cannot tell the difference from the original, and it is so simple, just one programme for the ripping and encoding.
    I must say that I copied most of this guide from Fletch on http://forum.doom9.org/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cinema Craft Encoder SP ver 2.50
    DVD2SVCD ver.1.0.9 build 3
    SpruceUp ver.1.1
    IfoEdit
    Prassi PrimoDVD ver 2.0
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll just outline re-encoding for a movie only DVD, with no menus. (Just the movie set to autoplay)

Ok, you need to install the newest version of DVD2SVCD and also CCE2.5... Once installed, we start DVD2SVCD and you need to change a few default parameters -

1) Go to the “Misc.” tab and change DVD2SVCD level to the “Advanced” option. Also set default output folder to a dir where you have about 20gig H/D space free (make a dir so you know where all your outputted files will be) Then make sure in “Input file type” DVD is selected, and in “Output file type” MPEG-2 is selected, and “Don’t delete any files” is ticked

2) Go to “Frameserver” tab and change “Resize to” option to DVD (720x480/576)

3) Go to the “Encoder” tab and set “Multipass VBR” to 4 or 5 passes (obviously that’s up to you how many you decide, I choose 4)
    Then click on the “Advanced settings” option (still in Encoder tab) bottom right corner and tick “Close all GOPs” and “DVD Compliant”

4) Go to “CD Image” tab and select “Don’t make Images”

5) Go to “Audio” tab and select “Do not convert audio (use source audio)” (This will allow you to retain the AC3 track)

6) Go to “DVD rip” tab and tick “Activate DVD ripping”

7) Go to “DVD2AVI” tab and select “Automatic” in the “NTSC Field Operation (Force film) box.

8) Go to “Subtitles” tab and untick “Rip subtitles”

9) Go to “Bitrate” tab - change “Max.” to 8500, “Min.” 300, “Max. avg” to 4500 .. Now this bit seems to confuse some people - you will see the “CD size” options - the first row will say (as default) Between 0-50 mins. Use 1 CD Size 740...This is how you tell CCE what size output file you require to fit the DVD-R. We need to change ALL of the CD Sizes to 4200 -(just highlight them and overtype what is already there) and then you need to change all of the
    Use 1, Use 2, Use 3 etc options to 1 (all 6 of them). Now untick "Warn if the total bitrate is too high" and “Min. Avg” Also, 4200 is a safe size to choose, you can experiment and increase this to completely fill your DVD-R or, halve it for 2 films on 1 DVD-R

10) Go to the “Conversion” tab and click the CD icon (or alternately you can browse to the IFO file). This will automatically load up the largest IFO file (which is generally the movie on the disc). The movie length will load up and also the aspect ratio... Now, even if you do not have a widescreen tv yet, if the DVD is anamorphic (16:9 / Enhanced for 16:9 TVs.. whatever you want to call it) select the option "Anamorphic, no borders added" then hit the Go button and select preview - click next a few times and it will give you a preview of what you are encoding - check for any interlace problems (if you are doing PAL DVD's like me you should have very few) ... If all looks ok, hit encode and let it do the rest for you.. If there are interlace problems, there are different deinterlace options there to chose from (select one and it will preview the option you chose in real time)

Depending on how many passes you selected and how fast your machine is, you will have to wait 6-8 hours for it to finish... You might get an error near completion when BBMpeg tries to mux the m2v and AC3 file as it is bigger than 4 gig in most cases (which will be a problem if you are running FAT32 file system), do not be concerned, just shut the program down at this point, as it has already output the elements we need to create the DVD.

Browse to the output dir you created and the only 2 files you are interested in are our newly created (and resized) m2v file and the AC3 file... You will notice that the combined size of the AC3 and m2v file equals the size we entered in the CD Size box in the Bitrate tab)

11) Rename the .m2v and .ac3 files with the same name. (Example; LOTR.m2v & LOTR.ac3) this allows SpruceUp to automatically load the .ac3 file after loading the .m2v file.

12) Start SpruceUp, in Preferences select “Pal or NTSC” & whatever type of DVD writer you have (DVD-R/RW 4.7GB) then in “Button 1-Author” click on the “Movies” tab, then right click “Add Media Asset…” and go to the .m2v file you created, after it has loaded, it will automatically load the .ac3 file, and that is it, you can then double click on the film to view it and add chapters. When finished drag the film onto the blank box with a crosshair at the bottom (This makes the film autorun without a menu)
    Then click on “Button 2-Simulate” and check everything is OK, when happy save the project and then click on “Button 3-Export” and in “Output To:” select “Title Set” then select you’re “Output Destination” and “Disk Name” and then click on “Write”

When it is finished, go to you’re chosen Output Destination and you will have 2 folders “AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS” in the VIDEO_TS folder you can delete the “.lay” file if you want (It can cause problems with Nero, but doesn’t in Prassi)

13) Now you need to start “IfoEdit” to change the aspect ratio to 16:9, only if the original was 16:9 (SpruceUp only outputs a 4:3 aspect ratio)

Click “Open” and browse to the “VIDEO_TS” folder and load “VTS_01_0.IFO” when loaded, in the top window, click on “VTSI_MAT” then in the bottom window, double click on “0000200” a pop-up window will appear where you can change the Aspect Ratio, you should also tick “Automatic Letterboxed”
    (I look at the same file in the original rip and copy the settings) when done click “OK” and then “Save” and yes to any pop-ups, that’s it, you can now playback the film with you’re software DVD player before burning to check the results.

14) Start Prassi and go to “File/New Job/Data Disk” set the “Speed” & “Volume label”, then right click in bottom right window and click on “Add Folder” and browse to the “AUDIO_TS” folder,
    Repeat this and add the “VIDEO_TS” folder, then click on the red circle, that’s it, when finished burning, you will have a DVD that autoruns with chapters and Dolby Digital sound, and should look as good as the original.

Give it a try.
    mij
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now all we need is a dvd 2 dvd-r gide that allows you to kjeep all the extras.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am using this method to do a movie that is larger than 4.3gb to re-encode it to a lower rate so i can get the movie on 1-DVD. How long does DVD2SVCD take to re-encode with the CCE2.5. Its been running for about 6 hours and it says it still has 12 hours left of encoding left. I'm doing a 5-pass on the CCE2.5. The computer specs are P4 1.6 512mb Win2000 SP3. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    5 psses is madnesss, I ust use one and it does the job try 2-3

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  5. Newbie question: I ended up with 3 MPEG files. Which one is the .m2v?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All of them actually!!!

You set up dvd2svcd to cut the mpeg file, just swicth it off.

Or you can join it insted.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  7. So how do you set up DVD2SVCD to output one file? What can I use to join the files? I think they are too large now, all three are around a total of 5.8Gigs
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by baker
    Now all we need is a dvd 2 dvd-r gide that allows you to kjeep all the extras.

Baker
    Visit www.doom9.org and read the guides
    Quote Quote  
  9. First of all I did my first, dual layer dvd using this guide and it worked flawlessly- best and easiest guide to use that I've seen so far. Only a couple of newbie questions for someone to help me with - first I did 4 passes and it took a total of 16 hrs to finish - I'm sure that this can be cut down (If I do less passes will I receive a quicker output and/or receive poorer quality- not sure how this works) My PC is a P3 733 256RAM. Second after the job completed and i burned to DVD-R Movie works fine but there is a CCE logo on the movie- obviously there was a button somewhere in the process that I forgot to check or uncheck - can anyone tell me where- Hope one of you veterans can help me out - thanks MIJ for a great guide!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just wanted to state to MIJ this is a great job, and worked flawless. And in reference to Cubs4life message. It took mine 15 hours from start to finish for me with a 5 pass on CCE. Computer spec is a 1.6ghz with 256mb rambus. so as we would figure the higher end the computer the faster it will process. and on the CCE logo in the movie, its because its an unregistered version of CCE
    Quote Quote  
  11. This guide seems really cool... I'll be trying it tonite..

Anyone able to write a nice easy addon for menus?

thanks for anyones time in their reply..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most easy method yet (for me at least) to rip a DVD-9. From start of rip to start of burn took exactly 11 hrs with p1.4, 256mb rdram. (3 passes)Great quality video with original 5.1 audio track. Looks as good as the original on my 61" Sony! Thanks for the good work!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi there, apologies if I am asking a stupid question, but I am VERY new to all of this. I have managed to backup a DVD-9 where movie is <4.3GB, and have tried to used this guide for backi9ng up movies >4.3GB.

I followed all the steps from the guide, until I get to the end of step 10, where I should have an AC3 and an M2V file, I have my AC3 file ok, but then I have 2 files ending in M2P and MPG file (which looks the right size), did I do something wrong, or should I just import the MPG file into Spruce? Sorry again if it's a stupid question.

Many thanks.

cp
    Quote Quote  
  14. Using this guide, LOTR took 12 hours while I slept, I have a 1.4ghz Thunderbird, 512mb sdram, 2 40gb H/D, WinXP ntfs.

I now use a CD-Size of 4000, because some cheap DVDR's have trouble being read when burnt right to the end.
    Also on my guide I wrote you will end up with a .m2v file, it may be a .mpv file, just check the size.

I am going to try 1 pass next, so if anybody has some tweaks to this guide let me know. Also users getting a logo are using an unregistered copy of CCE, you can use TMPG instead.

mij
    Quote Quote  
  15. I followed the guide until step 11. I need to burn the files using a DVD+R/RW burner so I'm using Sonic MyDVD. The program crashes because apparently the GOP settings are incorrect. Is there another program someone would recommend, besides spruceup and prassi, to finish the job?
    Quote Quote  
  16. mij

i'm trying it right now and CCE is creating a *.mpv file. What do you mean when you say just check the size for a *.m2v file?
    Quote Quote  
  17. The .m2v or .mpv file with the .ac3 will be around 4gb.

mij
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Veiw files as "details".

will be the largest file.

If NTSC, not PAL, the file you want is Pulldown, there will be two of same size. Rename to the same name as the ac3 file.

example for Meet the Parents
    change AC# to MTP.AC3
    change Pulldown to MTP.M2v
    you can change mpv file to m2v file

I think spruce will recognize mpv files also.

as long as files have same name, different file extension (.AC3 + .MPV or .M2V + .AC3, Spruce will import as 1 asset

regards
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi all.
    I've just finished doing Monsters Inc for the kiddies using TMPGEnc 2.57 and I set all the sizes to 4300MB. It took 30 yes 30 hours to complete!!!!
    The problem I've got is that the end file size is only 3.10GB. I thought it was going to be nearer 4.0GB. Surely that means that I must be losing some quality along the line somewhere?
    Can somebody shed some light on this question for me.
    Quote Quote  
  20. What are you setting your "Program stream type" to under bbMPEG advanced setttings?
    Quote Quote  
  21. mij & tumbar

mij

Thanks this does work as a all in one type program.
    Only problem is i tried it with "The Fugitive", 131 min and and the mpv file + the ac3 was 4.5gb. To big for a 4.3 DVD. Looks like you would have determin the size of the ac3 file and adjust the CD size to fit both to make a 4.3gb.

tumbar

Thanks, SpruceUp will take a mpv file. What is the difference between the two files that are created. I tried the pulldown file with the ac3 in Spruceup and wrote it to a title set even though it would not fit on a 4.3 DVD and it was not 16:9 even after using ifoedit to change it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. HEX.
    The program stream type is set to ~DVD. Also while you're there, do you know of a program that will add chapters to the MPEG automatically instead of having to add them manually in Spruce-UP?
    Thanx Bud
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    john 630...you have an incorrect setting in the bitrate tab on dvd2svcd, thats why the movie come in over 4.3 gigs. email me and I'll send you a picture of my settings. I had same problem. I have my max cd size set at 4225.

Pulldown changes the framerate back to the correct speed.

Save settings in ifo edit after you make aspect ratio changes in the ifo located in the spruceupworking folder. After you have saved changes, answer yes to overwriting, exit program, now reenter program and see if aspect ratio on line 200 was changed to the aspect ratio of the original ifo in movie folder of dvd2svcd.

make sense?
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  24. thnx alot mij

I bought a Pioneer A04 DVD-R 2 days ago and was looking for a nice guide I always used DVD2SVCD with CCE before this so I knew the quality would be great! I am just burning my first re-encoded DVD, Black Hawk Down, and it looked REALLY good in the preview of Spruce up!

Only disadvantage is the time... , ik took me about 30 hours on my P3-850@952 with 512Mb with multipass set to 4. I think I need to upgrade

Only thing I miss are subtitles

I tried screwing around with Meastro but that program is really difficult and I am reading alot of people have synch problems as well with it.

Anyone know another way to simply add subtitles to the DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Actually, now that I think of it, I think i left the sharpen option on at a value for 0,40. Which was recommended when making SVCD's when using DVD2SVCD. I remember the doom9 guide for that saying it takes about 40% more time if this option is enabled.

Is that value still needed now that I am using to encode DVD's??

Should save me about 12 hours.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    welcome peach,

also to cut down on encode times try a 2 pass VBR. I just did and video looks fine. Try one, it'll cut the encode time in 1/2 again....

I also used the dvd2svcd to make scvd's. Got into the dvd's about 2 months ago. Can't beat this method if reencode is necessary.

Good luck.

Actually, I had trouble remembering all the changes I had made to the default dvd2svcd settings, so I uninsatlled it, then reinstalled and started fresh from the default settings, less confusing.

regards
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  27. mij, a great guide!!!,

My problem is that I only have a trial version of SpruceUp- so I get no audio. Any suggestions for an alternative, or, does anyone know where i can get a full version of spruce up now it has been discontinued.

Jeff
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  28. try doing a search on those well known peer to peer client programs
    Quote Quote  
  29. Nar no luck, tried Kazaa for the key several times over the last couple of days. Suggestions anyone????
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  30. ffej email me @ raylyns@hotmail.com

1 on the BBmpeg tab should this have been changed to DVD as default states SVCD there is no mention of this within the guide.

2 on the Encoder tab should - Linear, zigzag and progressive frames also be selected

3 on the DVD Rip tab should Use Internal Routines also be selected

4 I have a d2v file and a mpv file which hould i use and will the mpv file be any good as the BBmpeg was selected as SVCD and not DVD

5 Maybe a stupid question can I use DVD-R discs with a DVD+R/RW drive

Fanx in advance
    Quote Quote