VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Thread
  1. TommyGunn,

Your method is accomplishing basically the same thing, only with different programs. I am fairly new to this, so someone might be able to better explain what I have to add, or even correct me if I'm wrong.. but the only advantages I see using mij's method is that you retain the AC3 file for the audio, instead of converting it to a .wav and then back again. This could possibly result in better audio quality. The only other drawback I see is that you are using Tmpg to encode. According to everything I have read, it is inferior to CCE in both quality and speed. Lastly, if you are satisfied with your current method, stick with it PS. You left off any instructions on what you are doing with the mpeg2 file after you create it..
    -Revilo
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Revilo...I'll look into the other prog that you are talkin about..but TMPGenc set to the right parameters makes an exact copy..be it that it takes time..like i said I made my Monsters Inc. in about 4 hrs..start to finish..ripping ..encoding..combining and burning. Sorry i left the info about what I do with the MPEG out..I use ULEAD DVD MOVIE FACTORY to import and make my own chapters for the movie..drag an MPEG into the box..pick menu template..put an intro video if you want then burn.. later
    Be very very patient.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Great guide and very easy to follow. I've had success in backing up some Dvd's but on some i get audio out of sync. I sometimes just do 1 chapter to see the output and have noticed the sound is out of sync. Will this happen if i do the whole movie? Am i doing something wrong. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Quote Quote  
  4. My audio is out of sync? Does anybody know why? I am using the exact same s/w that is mentioned at the top of the guide. It doesnt happen with all the movies i do just on some. Please help

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, great Q&A here, congratulations to every one here.
    I am a newbie on this, i been using TMPGE encoder for my DVD2SVCD "backups".
    I would like to know if any one know the diference when comparing TMPGE to CCE encoders?
    which one is better/faster?
    So far TMPGE and DVD2SVCD had worked flawlessly, i am just curious!!!
    Thanks !!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Gretz
    I've had the same problem with some movies. I usually bring the files into Maestro and remux them. After you determine the difference in sync timing you can move the audio or video file before processing to compensate. Then play the files in a DVD player to see the results. It may take a few tries, but you'll catch on quickly. I'm sure there is a better way to match sync, but until we find it. this works great.
    Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have a proble with Spruce up.
    Once I rename both the mpv and the ac3 and try the upload to Supruce Up I get an error "cannot locate a frame SYNC word at an expected byte offset. Date might be corrupted"
    Any ideas?
    The rip,encode, compile process workded just fine.

Thanks a ton for any suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have dvd2svcd and cinema craft 2.50, and don,t see some of the options you say to check? For example - the frame server tab theirs no "resize to" option to set 720x480/576. Theirs only a resize method option. On the encoder tab theirs is a "close all GOP'S, but no DVD compliant selection. And another question, why add the M2v and ac3 file separately to Spruceup? Spruceup allows you to add Mpeg2 files.

Ok, ignore the first part of post. I figured it out. I have to turn on advanced settings first. I just read the instructions to fast and missed that part.

I have done a couple of movies, and wondering why they will play on my JVC Home DVD player and they also will play on my home computer and my laptop ( which is a Celeron 433), but they will not play on my Toshiba 4205 5 disk player. I used nero on one dvd, and Record max on another. One was on a DVD-R and the other on a DVD+R. The toshiba is suppose to support DVD-R, and I've read reviews saying they work.
    Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. For those of you who have had problems synching .ac3 sound files with .mpv (.m2v) movie files in Spruce-up. Try running your .ac3 files through AC3delay corrector first - choose in Milliseconds how much delay you'd like to give your file at the "beginning" (or conversly how much time you want to add to the "end" of the files - to push it forward). This little program (along with the GfaWin23.ocx file) will fix things.

Be warned, it might take some hair pulling to get it just right, but patience will prevail and your sound will sync up nicely after just a few tries - just rename each attempt and keep track of the original .ac3 file just in case.

It's available at the Doom9 downloads area (look under audio).

One other note, for those (like me) who are needing to take very large files and re-encode them into smaller (<4.5gb) Mpv's, the encoding bitrates may need to be changed in DVD2SVCD from 4200 (and 4500 max) - down to nearly 3000 (and 3200 max). Or in LOTR's case, down to 2800 (and 2800 max) to get this 3 hour movie down to one disk. It still looks great.

Best wishes and enjoy your "back-ups".
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a big problemn with this guide. I have followed it word for word and have ended up creating an MPV file AC3, and D2V file.
    I am assuming the two files I need are the MPV and AC3 files, yet when I come to try and use Srpuceup it wont let me it keeps saying that there is a media file error !!!!!!!

I have not been able to do a single disk yet because of this, could someone please help me out, by pointing out how to fix this or where I have gone wrong. Thank You
    Quote Quote  
  11. anyone having trouble burning DVD+R with nero. Gimme some advice if you have any I have the new sony dru500a.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Like an earlier poster, "ffej", I also only have the trail version of SpruceUp, with no key. Can't seem to find anything on the perr to peer searches.

Anyone got a similar guide based upon currently available products, or shareware s/w?

Might help if I gave out an email address for replies.

kjgipp@yahoo.com
    Quote Quote  
  13. Has anyone had a problem with the video freezing during playback? If so, what is causing this?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Out of all the dvd2dvd tutorials I have found I like this one best!

I'm having one issue though, the video quality is really bad! it looks really splotchy. I am using CCE ver 2.62 as I could not find 2.50. Any idea's how to fix??? Other than that it's working nice.

Also which video do I use? I have two that are the same size, except one has "Pulldown" in the file name. Do I use that one or the other? File size is the same on both.

I'm trying again right now with TMPENC instead of cce, but it it really SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!!!!!

One note I found using IfoEdit to create the DVD VIDEO_TS, Vob's and ifos is easy and works really well!
    Quote Quote  
  15. I will first say I do like this guide quite a bit and have used it many times. I do have some questions maybe someone can help with.
    1. Is there a way to extract chapters (chapter extractor?) and put them back in during the authoring in spruce-up? If not, is there another authoring program that would support this?
    2. Has anyone else had a problem at the end of the CCE encode with an error that reads [" is not a valid character..] blah blah..? I put the error message inside the brackets because it actually starts with the quote character. This is quite annoying because it doesn't allow the CCE encode to finish so I have to go back and encode it again. Usually the second time works just fine when I resume the project.

Comments: About the only thing I can think of to add to this great guide is that I think many people don't notice that you have instructed to UNTICK the min avg bitrate. For long movies, such as LOTR, this will end up in a large file(too large for one disc) if the bitrate is around 4k or so. The min avg is unnecessary since the file size will specify what bitrate to use. Also, as already commented on, 2 passes seems to be plenty and saves a bunch of time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. IFOEdit can author DVD's and import chapters, and its free Make sure you have ver 0.95 or newer. Here is more info (go to step 4):
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/ifoedit-dvdauthor.htm

I use TMPEnc now as CCE didn't work at all for me.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone have any luck loading the m2v and ac3 files into
    Dazzle DVD COmplete?

I keep getting an error saying the video file is NOT conpliant.
    Ac3 audio seems to load however.

thanks,

Win
    Quote Quote  
  18. ive used dvd2svcd for a while now good tool to i cannot understand why it takes between say 5-6 hours to extract the m2v file and the ac3 file when it can be done in smart ripper which takes a mere 20 mins to extract the files needed.
    im going to give it a try as ive created more coffee coaster than dvd-r's
    BUT if this works ill just stick to this
    one last thing when you click the green button you can view what the films going to look like what other button do you click just rip or rip and convert as there is sevral options on it

ta
    ade
    Quote Quote  
  19. First off I have been using this guide and getting great results recently. I see that the new ifoedit authors dvds. Can someone explain to me what steps I can remove/add to the original guide to get ifoedit to replace spruce and retain chapter information?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  20. And what about subtitles ?
    AndKem
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by goldirin
    And what about subtitles ?
    Exact, i'm curios about that too
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Foles, you encoded your output to 4:3 so setting Maestro to 16:9 DAR flag will screw it up, should have been 4:3. Actually, if your source is 16:9 you should have set DVD2SVCD Conversion aspect ratio to Anamorphic (no borders, encoded as 16:9). This option becomes available when you set the DVD2SVCD Level to "Advanced" on the misc. tab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually Ive found that if the movie is 16:9 and not anamorphic and you use the anamorphic option then it will cause its own troubles depending on the actual aspect ratio of the movie. if it says 16:9 I use 16:9 encoded as 4:3 and if its anamorphic I use that.

Thankfully almost all new movies will be anamorphic, but some of the olders ones are not.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Great Guide Mij...thanks for the post. I am as new as they come having just installed my first burner last week (Sony 500A).

I tried a variety of methods using the guides available here and at Doom9 but I either lost patience or just got lost period. The difficulties predominately centered around trying to learn the intricacies of IfoEdit to remove the unwanted streams. Did I also mention the 30 hour TMPGEnc ordeal?

Then I came across this thread and bingo. I had a successful backup of Spidey on my first burn. Dvd2svcd is a great program as it pretty much automates most of the process.

For the benefit of those new to this process I will say that I modified a few steps because I preferred to stay with readily availabe freeware instead of expensive or impossible to find working copies of CCE and SpruceUp. I know TMPGEnc is slower than CCE but I let it run overnight and it only took around 6 hours using 2 pass VBR with precision set to "motion estimate search". When Dvd2svcd was fininshed, authoring the DVD was a snap using IfoEdit (see DVD Authoring in IfoEdit guide on Doom9). Once authored, I followed the "burn the DVD" link at the bottom of the guide and followed the process from Step 3 forward. The final two steps were creating an image using ImgTools and actually burning the disc using DVD Decrypter. Pretty simple and straightforward.

Thanks again Mij and the other contributors on this forum and Doom9.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    About Multiple Audio Streams and Chapter Marks...

I'd like to add my five cents to this great guide: The solution to use SpruceUp to multiplex the streams and create the vobs has - besides the fact that it's not available anymore - two disadvantages I'm aware of: The resulting disk can contain only one audio stream and it does not contain the chapter marks.

I found Ifoedit to be the one and only tool that solves these issues.

When you have finished steps 1-10 of the guide, continue like this:

11) Create the chapter table. Start Ifoedit. Open the .ifo of your source movie, either from the DVD or from the directory you ripped it to using the Open button in the lower left edge of Ifoedit. If you use the source dvd, select the .ifo with the same number as the movie (typically the largest set of vobs). In the upper area, select the VTS_PGCITI entry and then the + that appears left to it. Open it and click it's child node (VTS_PGC_1). Now, the lower text area should show the number of chapters the movie has as "Number of Programs". From the Tools menu, select "Save Celltimes to file" and save the file "CellTimes.txt" to your harddisk. Exit Ifoedit.

12) Multiplex the streams. Start Ifoedit. From the "DVD Author" menu, select "Author new DVD". Press the "." button right to the Video edit field. Select the video stream e.g. "Encoded_Video_CCE_PAL.mpv" you had transcoded with cce. For each audio track you want to add, press the "." button right to the Audio field and select the audio stream (.ac3 if it's a dolby digital stream). Press ok. Press the "." button right to the Position field and select the "CellTimes.txt" file you had created in step 11. Using the "." button right to the Destination field, select a destination directory that can hold the 4.3 GB vobs. Press OK to multiplex the stream and create the .vobs.

13) Fix the language names. Still in Ifoedit, you have to adjust the language names for the audio tracks so that they can be displayed correctly on the DVD player. In the lower screen part you find the Audio 1..n lines that all show English as the default language so far. The tracks are listed here in the order you added them to the multiplexer in step 12. For all non English audio tracks follow these steps: Double click the line with the audio track. A dialog called "Audio attributes" will open. Select the correct language from the "Language" drop down list. Confirm it with "Ok". After having adjusted the audio stream names, press the "Save" button in the lower left corner of Ifoedit. Confirm to overwrite the .ifos.

14) Write the DVD. Open your favorite burner, e.g. Nero. Create a new DVD-Video compilation, which is basically a DVD image with the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. Drop all files Ifoedit created in step 12 into the VIDEO_TS folder. Burn the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And of course....

... you'll have to rip the audio streams first: In step 10 you have to select the audio streams you want to rip. They'll be saved on your harddisk in the order they are listed under "Selected Audiotracks". That's how you'll know the mapping between the languages and the stream numbers in step 13.

Have fun!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Good addition to this guide pholzwarth. Since my last post I have also discovered the tools you mention. You can also save subtitles (especially useful for those movies like Star Wars) and DTS audio. DVD2SCVD will not allow you to extract the DTS audio, but I think dvddecrypter, smartripper or VOBedit will. Use VOBedit to extract the subtitles also. Of course Spruce-up doesn't support DTS, subtitles or chapter imports (you can manually set chapters though), so you will have to author with IFOedit (or one of those expensive, hard to find authoring programs that supports this stuff), which is actually surprisingly easy. Anyone reading this thread might also check out the thread on DVD2DVDR, a newer program designed for DVD's instead of SVCD. Supposedly you can accomplish all of this in this new program, but you have to be using NTFS file system, which I am not, so I haven't tried the program yet.

Revilo
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hiii
    This is a great job.... but... not for mi.
    I try 4 times to backup a dvd and always get the same msg
    CCE Could not write.bla bla bla
    Windows error

Why???
    I'm using Win98SE
    Please somebody Help me...
    Tanks and Keep the god job
    Quote Quote  
  29. I tried the good tips of mj and I allready burned my first DVD-R disk. It worked perfectly ! Picture quality : superb ! Sound quality : superb also !As mj said the program-sequency stops at BBMpeg (over 4 GB). Is there a way to overrun the BBMpeg in order to get a PC -"Auto shutdown" (Conversion-tab in DVD2SVCD) ?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi.
    The error that i got is.. "cce could not write to file" "windows error 0x5 5"
    Can somebody help me???? please.
    I did a small movie and it's ok... but the bigger ones...
    Keep the god work
    Quote Quote