VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm using TMPGEnc for the encoding part. Anyone have suggestions for the best settings? Dont wanna wait 20+ hrs for the best quality. The advanced settings page is a little different than CCE's.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I tried this method with MURDER BY NUMBERS and the audio/video were out of sync. I have done other movies with this method and no problem but this one. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why is everyone having a hard time making a DVD-R? I use VCD GALAXY RIP COMBO..yes VCD..there are 3 progs that let you 1..ripp a DVD(main movie files ONLY)..2..encode the AC3 sound to a .wav file of and... 3..converts the ripp of the dvd(a d2v) and the .wav file and makes a MPEG1 or 2.So you can either make a DVD-R or a SCVD or a VCD...your choice.The magic all comes down when I use TMPGEnc..the built in templates let you either make a DVD, SCVD or a VCD...when making a great quality movies, make sure you take advantage of the ADVANCED TAB...you can split the mpeg into 2 parts for a SCVD or leave it in 1 part for a DVD-R...I find sharpening the image to about 110-120 the best and enabling the field base and clicking the de-interlace feature when i have VOB files that have those horizontal lines through them..When you get ready to burn a DVD-R get a hold of me..my email is posted..I will try to answer as many questions as I can...
    For burning the Mpeg-2 i use Uleads DVD Movie Factory..very easy to use
    Be very very patient.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, Tommy, thats all fine and good, but we are really discussing
    backing up DVD's that are OVER 4.7gb, to a single disc, AND
    retaining the Dolby Digital soundtrack.

We are not discussing making a VCD or SVCD, and putting it
    on a DVD-R

Win
    Quote Quote  
  5. Im just curious, what is BBMpeg doing that we have it run yet disregard its output? Curious minds want to know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what is BBMpeg doing that we have it run yet disregard its output?

Its messing with the sound. But the original AC3 is already in the file. The ac3 file is better quality than the file BBMeg is going to produce.

Jim
    Jim
    Quote Quote  
  7. hello
    i have just finished 3 dvd-r conversions
    so i thought i would give lord of the rings a bash
    ended up with 5.261.196kb mpv & 561.255kb ac3
    what do i need to do to shrink it a little bit more
    Quote Quote  
  8. i have followed this guide exaktly but i cant import the m2v file to spruceup it stops at 4 procent of the file what is wrong i can watch the file in xp!!!! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Unlocked SpruceUp and followed the tutorial and still have no audio and yes I renamed both files as required in the tutorial. Any idea how to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Do not advocate Warez!

-TGPO
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I import the .m2v file, it loads with no problem. But when I go to export it there is no audio! For some reason the .AC3 file is not loading with the .m2v file even though they are named the same (Evil.m2v & Evil.ac3). What am I doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  12. excellent guide but quick question!

I have a few hard disks and dont have 20 gig free on one disk! would it be possible to dump files from one section of the process to one disk and the rest to another? I have one disk with 10 free and one with 8 (gig) free.

Hope someone can answer this as I really like this all in one guide

thanks guys
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree that this is a really good guide, but is not finished; for example, I spent more than 3 days to rip the Eagles's Hells Freezes Over with the DTS audio Track in one DVD-R.

There are many things that I read in other sites, and there are some tricks in DVD Maestro that I learned by myself.....
    One is in the start of project, choose DVD-Rom structure files !

And the trick to obtain video and Audio in Sync with the Smartripper is awesome.
    I always used DVD Decripter until now, and this has left me crazy sometimes...

And one thing really important in Nero :
    When burning an DVD-R, ALWAYS choose the UDF/ISO DVD !!!!!!!!

I was making my DVD's with the DVD-Video option , and this seems to work well, but when I use DVD Maestro to author the disk, the burnned media don't play !!!

after many tries, I make a burn with the UDF/ISO and voilá !!!!! The DVD plays like magic....

Anyway, thanks for all people from this site, I have learned a lot with your guides.

Funil99
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks mij!!!

I just found your tutorial on Wednesday and it took me until Friday to compile all the software I needed. On Friday I started on 3 DVDs I had. It took a weekend of processing, but I got all of them converted.

I had fits getting Nero to burn the output from SpruceUp and finally gave up on it. VOB Instant CD did a better job anyway and thats what finally got my DVDs burned.

Nice job creating an easy to follow tutorial.

Now I just need to find the time to work on my earlier screwups. When I first started ripping DVDs I didn't know what I was doing and ripped movies to one large single VOB file. I have about 30 of them this way. I managed to use VOBSplit to create 4 VOB fiiles and IfoEdit to make an Ifo and actually convert one of them, does anyone else have an easier suggestion for me? Or do I just need to suck it up and undo the mess I created early on?

Hi, I'm new here... Can ya tell?
    -ItsTooHot
    Quote Quote  
  15. PhacMan

yes you can split the stuff up. In the DVD2SVCD default set the default dir to your larger drive. In the Encoder tab I set CCE to a different drive. When you do the SpruceUp thing you can choose the directory to write to.

For me, this used about 12GB on my big drive and 4.3GB on my small one before the SpruceUp process. At this point you can delete the VOBs if you have to.
    -ItsTooHot
    Quote Quote  
  16. Great guide! thanks mij.

I used this method for the first time recently and it worked perfectly. I do have a question though..

I saw a few posts about bbmpeg and what it does. It appears it doesn't create anything we need for this procedure? If so, is there any way to disable that step? It takes up quite a bit of HD space during the process, and appears to be useless.

Comment: I had my CD size set to 3.999 however my VIDEO_TS folder (at the end of the project) is 4.16 GB.. As I am new to all this, I can't explain why that happened, however it might be important to someone who thinks they can set their CD size to 4.3 or so and expect it to fit on one DVD-r. Also, I can't tell the difference from the backup copy and the original on my 55" with progressive scan DVD. Great method and great quality.

-Revilo
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by flinty
    hello
    i have just finished 3 dvd-r conversions
    so i thought i would give lord of the rings a bash
    ended up with 5.261.196kb mpv & 561.255kb ac3
    what do i need to do to shrink it a little bit more

Hello all having the same prob

help

mad chef
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone given VCD galaxy a try to "backup"a dvd?I've been using it and i have to say it is the easiest way i can find to copy my dvd's.Its a 3 step process that lets you rip the VOB main movie files and then DVD2AVI to take the audio and make it a wav file..then TMPGenc to combine the 2 and make a MPEG2 video..which ULEAD MOVIE FACTORY has no problem burning..I just "backed up" Monsters Inc..took 11 mins to rip to HDD...1 hr to take the audio and convert to wav file and 5 hrs to make the mpeg. It would have been 2.5 hrs if the video didn't have to be DE-INTERLACED!! But quality takes time..hope this is helpful..later 8)
    Be very very patient.
    Quote Quote  
  19. This Guide is GREAT!

After working through my Newbie woes (Two Days) I created the best playing DVD's complete with menus and scene selection. I have to admit the first try was a bust but after that I've created 5 with no problems.

Thanks for all the Help :P
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, loose nut behind the controls here.....Tutorial works great for me now. Fixed my audio not loading by only not adding the .m2v when re-naming the two files. By the way, if you do the burn in Nero instead of Prassi you have to burn in DVD-ROM UDF\ISO and in the UDF Tab make sure it says Physical Partion and UDF is 1.02. Hope this helps anyone else with the same problems.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi,

I've seen this issue raised a couple of times, but not seen good response to it. Its re the AC3 audio file. I follow the instructions to a tee, and I end up with the MPV Video file and ac3 audio file, i also get a file in MPEG2 format which has the combined audio and video with a 5:1 soundtrack, and this looks and sounds fantastic on playback through Power DVD. The problem is the ac3 file on its own, it has data in it, but plays silently and will not import into spruce up with the MPV file as a result. I have tried the DVD2SVCD part several times, same result everytime. I followed the early part of the ripping process last night in DVD2SVCD, and the audio is processed early so it is something within the settings themselves.

By the way, I am a newbie but really would appreciate some help on this.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Steviep,

I was having the same problem...See if this fixes it for you. The ac3 file will not play on it's own. If you're in the U.S. and are using NTSC, you need to rename the file that says "Pull down_Encoded_Ecc_NTSC ,etc. Just rename it to (for example) Movie ....Don't add the .m2v And then rename the ac3 file to Movie.ac3....Add the .ac3 to it's name..Just make sure they both have the same name...If you're not using NTSC then you won't have the "Pulldown_" at the beginning of the file...But everything else I stated to do is the same...Then when you import it into SpruceUp it will show the video loading first, When it's completed loading..there will be a slight delay before the ac3 audio file loads. If you see the ac3 file loading, you're good to go. Hope this is understandable. If you add the .m2v to the video file the audio will not load. Hope this helps!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well...though the video and audio loaded fine in SpruceUp and the resulting VOB's looked great. I can't get them to burn to DVD-R. Nero gives a recompilation error, and when i burn them in UDF\ISO modein Nero...they burn but will only play in my computer. Not on my stand-alone which by the way plays everything I throw at it. And to top it off. I installed Prassi and it does'nt see my burner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Go to http://www.prassieurope.com/ and download the PX Engine Update and Prassi will recognize your burner.

mij
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Prassi now recognizes my burner...still have same problem...DVD plays in my computer but not in my stand-alone, which is a Genica Kalua GN-800. Does anyone have any idea why? This is driving me crazy!!! It's played all burned DVD's up till I tried to resize using this g uide.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What r the cons to me making my DVD-r's this way?I use dvd decrypter to rip movie to hd..dvd2avi to encode the audio to a wav file and i use tmpgenc to combine the decrpyted vob's(which turned into a d2v file) and the wav file to make an Mpeg-2 file using the dvd(NTSC) template...so far i have to say i have had NO coasters and the movies look great...am i doin something wrong because everyone seems to be using a different prog than the ones i use?just wondering..later
    Be very very patient.
    Quote Quote  
  27. HI,
    thanks for a top tutorial, everything works fantastically...............except i dont get any chapters on the final dvd.
    I get a file generated called "dvd2svcd chapters file.ini" which looks promising.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  28. Mij (& tumbar),

Thanks for a great Guide. I've got 4 Dvds backed up and am quickly filling up my HD - Time for another 80 gig special....and more DVD+Rs (sigh)

In one of your followup posts you mentioned that you were doing LOTR and it took 12 hours. I ran LOTR last night with about the same results - time wise. The problem is that I ended up with a 6gb file?!? I used 3 passes for encoding and otherwise had all other settings as you stated (including 4200 on the max. bitrate setting).

As I said before all other (shorter) backups are doing just fine and coming in at <4.4 gbs. with the same settings. What gives?

Should I change the CCE passes to 2 or 1? Or am I resigned to having to split this one up over 2 DVDs?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Once again, thanks for a great guide and to everyone else for adding to our collective knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I have followed this guide to the T and everything is working great except for when I open spruceup my machine will BSOD to BAD POOL CALLER error an restart I have searched the net and did everything they say from updated video drivers to installing all the latest service packs if anyone has a suggestion or can point me towards a different program rather tha spruce that would be great thanks
    Quote Quote