VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My System is as fallows

Win2k pro SP2
    Dual 1Ghz PIIIs, not OCed, on a SuperMicro PDG6e MotherBoard (GX Chipset)
    1GB Ram, ECC if that maters.
    SBLive1024 no problems with it... I don't play many games
    Adaptec 29160 with 2 Cheetah x15s
    1st drive has 2 partitions 1 for System plus Apps & 1 for Swap File
    2nd drive is 1 NTFS capture Partition
    SIIG UDMA 66 card with some old 14 GB UDMA 66 IBM DeskStar Drive. Write Cache Disabled
    Generic PCI 10/100 NIC

And the Asus v7700 Deluxe 64MB AGP card. This card has Svideo in and out and Composite through an adapter. I am not sure which vidcap chip this card uses.

The Problem. I can't get more than 9fps (average about 6fps) Capturing at 640x480 or 704x480. I can Cap at up to 352x240 @30+ fps all day long No frame drops at all.
    When I Use Huffy in the stats window for media player, my "actual" Frame rate is variable. When I cap with PicView Mjpeg, the video is just as choppy as the huffy caps but the "actual" frame rate stays at 29.97. I assume that it just adds frames.

The vfw driver that asus installs is called "ASUS VfW Capture Driver v1.1 for Windows 2000"
    When I go into the device manager the only options that I get in its "properties" tab are to use or not to use this device. There is a settings button liy up but clicking it does nothing.

I have Tryed Capturing with VirtualDub 1.4x, AVI I/O, AsusLive and Premiere 6.
    When caping at 352x240 and lower in any of the programs, I get no dropped frames.
    At 640x480 and up, I get dropped frames in Premiere, AVI I/O, AsusLive and VeeDub. Although AVI I/O doesn't report the frames as dropped.

What is going on here?

Asus claims 704x480 @ 30fps. In both 9x and 2k... It does however say that capture performance in 9x is slightly better.

I am Capturing Video off of really poor quality VHS Dubs from old VHS and CVHS(I think) Camcorders. These tapes are from 91 and are crapy to begin with, so I need all of the Resolution I can Squeeze....

Please speak up if you have any thoughts.

Thanks,

blake002

P.S. I have tried Capturing in Overlay, Preview and No Preview modes... Same result each time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nice system. I'd be heartbroken with that performance too.

Some software that is not designed with multiple processors in mind have worse performance than when it runs on a single processor.

As a test, you might try temporarily changing the HAL.DLL to the uniprocessor version and see if that makes a difference. You can do that in Device Manager, changing the driver for the type of computer and rebooting.

Another thing to check for would be software running in the background (anti-virus, etc). It only takes one poorly written app to cripple a system's performance.
    Quote Quote  
  3. well, I have the same card and a pretty good system, and as I have posted before, it only seems to capture well in 98 and ME but in Win2k it really does quite bad.

I have tried everything to improve the capture, different drivers etc, but it all comes down to Asus not providing a good driver yet...

Sad to say, I will not be using ASUS again for my Video card...

Supercows
    Quote Quote