VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SOLUTION FOUND :

As I suspected, absolutely nothing to do with hardware.
    With this solution Windows Media Player 8 will play the DAT files.

Here it is, enjoy :

1. First run regedit and find the branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MCI Extensions

2. Then goto EDIT then NEW then String Value

3. Add a String Value name "dat" (no quote marks) and Value data "MPEGVideo" (again no quote marks)

The beauty with reg file you do NOT need to reboot your system as you did if you edited you win.ini and system.ini in the past with win98 and ME.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    good contribution to the forum. thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  3. can us stupid people get that in english ? can you draw a map im very dumb..... please?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On Windows XP desktop screen click START ( bottom left o f the screen) , then RUN , then type regedit .

After that, just follow the instructions above.
    After step no. 3 , just close the regedit window.
    There is no trick . And it works.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    added your tips to our play problems section www.vcdhelp.com/play.htm#playproblem

but I have no problem playing vcds .dat using winxp sp1 using media player 6.4, 8 or beta 9...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick,

I am happy to be able to contribute with other users, since it took me a lot of time to find this solution.
    You say you don't have problems playing DAT files on Win XP .
    But as you can see from the number of Posts on this forum, regarding the same situation, many people do have this problem.
    So I think this simple solution will probably help many people out there.
    Thank's again.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I posted a similar post to antoher thread before I saw the XP playing problem is here. I appologize.

Unfortunately, the registry trick didn't work for me. There is always an "I/O error reading disc" (CD). Maybe our problem lies in a burning application. You can not burn a VCD with any burner, the application must follow the VCD 2.0 standard.
    If Win ME can play the disc and XP can't, maybe the answer is that XP complies the standard and won't play non-standard VCDs. Maybe. It's just an idea.

I use WinOnCD and I like to hear from you which application you use for burning. Thank you for any answer.

Ian
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

Despite all of gurus here there was no answer to my polite question. S, I did some research.

And I found some that you can't believe: you must stick to VCD 2.0 standard! Surprising, isn't it? After reading all of the post on vcdhelp.com and after burning dozens od CDs, and after readinga again and again tutorials the some good people posted here I came to conclusion:

1) You (including me, I admit) must read VCD 2.0 standard carefully
    2) You must be sure thal all, and I mean all, parameters in TMPGenc are OK (say GOP structure)
    3) I use WinOnCD and I know jow to burn CD using that particular program, you must do some investigation if you're using something different. For example, I there is only one track in ISO format, VCD will play. If there are more tacks (as described in one of the tutorials), it won't play.)

So, there is no need for MB drivers update, registry altering or woodoo dancing. Stick to the standard. My VCDs play in Win 98, 2000 and XP Pro without any problem.

Regards,
    Ian
    Quote Quote  
  9. hi!!

I need a quick help!!

I have a laptop, which i can connect to my TV . all works fine ,excellent
    quality , .
    The issue is that i can only see DIVX format on the TV , .
    AVI files!

why i can't see MPG FILES FROM SVCD VERSIONS? .

when i drag the video window, i can see perfect in my computer, but if you move to the TV , it shows nothing but the sound, only you can hear.

damn! it's a serious thing.

i use share desktop with TV output , .
    that's why i have to drag the video to the "TV" window.

and other thing is , that with this way , i can't see DIVX in full screen. because it shows full screen in my PRIMARY display which is THE LAPTOP
    damn!! i'm screw!!! .

helppppp!!!!

thanks!!

macc.

ps: this is my first post here!! ,so HELLO TO EVERYONE!!.
    divx svcd vcd dvd mpg avi . damn!!!!
    :)
    Quote Quote  
  10. macc - try setting your TV output to clone your desktop rather than extend it. Make sure your video drivers are up to date.

If you need more help, let me know, and respond with you OS version, the type of video chipset you have (or your laptop model if you don't know) and your video driver version if possible. And you might want to start a new topic under the software playing forum to deal with this if this does not help you.

Prospero
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi!

i have win xp , in a toshiba satellite 5105-s501 ,
    GForce 4 440 Go and it's really new, the last model from Toshiba.

goes recently into market . so , the drivers are the latest. but i dont know how to set "clone" for the tv instead of extend my desktop.....

help!
    thanksssss!!
    divx svcd vcd dvd mpg avi . damn!!!!
    :)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi,

I'm have some trouble here. I'm running XP Pro and can't get Media Player to play a VCD which I know works in another computer. I've tried the tip- of adding the dat file to the registery but it still won't work- all I get is a message from Media Player which says:

Incorrect function.

Can anyone help!

Thanks!!

Chris.
    Quote Quote  
  13. When the computer first read the VCD, it did not have any problems. But when i move the slider bar(the tracker, or to move to a certain part of the movie) it stops. I dont remember exactly what happened. Now i cant read this VCD file. I can open the VCD, and get to main file, or the .dat file, but i cant read it. It freezes the computer, until i eject the CD. My other computer did not have problems reading it over and over again. Anyone have any ideas of why this is happening?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Great job. Lula1. your solution works fine on my xp laptop. thanx a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  15. hi, I can't load a vcd with windows xp..I try the tip with regedit, Aspicheck, and try with codecs, 5.02, xvid, and old codecs... I always get the same error message... I try with wmp 8 and zoom player.. I know the file works ...
    HELP...
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm having the same problem as ChrisB. I have no problem playing VCDs on my old laptop with an earlier version of windows, but it won't run on windows XP. I've tried different video players, but the problem is pervasive through them all. I made the change to my registry, but it didn't work for me. Does anybody else have a solution to this problem? I will be forever grateful if somebody knows how to fix this problem.

-Ben
    Quote Quote  
  17. I never had this problem, just clicked all files on media player and played the dat file.
    Quote Quote  
  18. IVE FOUND A SOLUTION

like many other ppl i have a problem playing .dat files on my computer, i have tried every thing i could think off. the other day i came across a neat little program that will change a .dat to an mpeg, which worked on my computer. if u have the same problem of ur .dat files not working i would suggest downloading the program,
    http://www.vcdgear.com/download_gui.html
    and simply changing the dat or bin/cue to an mpeg formatt.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I try with windvd and it works !
    Quote Quote  
  20. ok i am pretty sure that i followed the steps correctly but i am still having problems all i can see on my vcd are read only files ?
    -[SMW]-proToType<|X|> 4 1337 /\/\0f0
    Quote Quote  
  21. With all the problems people are having with WMP, may I suggest that you try using a software DVD player to play VCDs (e.g., WinDVD or PowerDVD). It works better, you get to see menus AND they understand the concept of display aspect ratio.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  22. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP A FRUSTRATED xp USER!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you run DivX or WM movies on full screen without it constantly on catch up??????????? (But when it run in small format it plays lovely. I Have just upgraded to XP from W2k and it was PERFECT on W2K.

Any Suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

P.s What the best P2P file share to use. As i want to share my latest releases with ya all. Just out in the cinema
    Quote Quote  
  23. Dont run ANY other programs when you are running full screen. Also try defragging your disk. Add more memeory. Get a faster processor. Make sure you have at least 500mb free on your system disk (normally C. Try winDvd or PowerDvd rather than WMP6 or WMP8.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  24. DinoPollard
    I've tried Lula1's solution, but VCDs still won't play in Windows Media Player. It always comes up with a box that says "Incorrect Function."
    Quote Quote  
  25. my os is windows xp and my homemade vcds play with no problem. lucky i guess.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I could not play VCD movies on my Windows XP system. After trying this simple registry entry I have not had a problem playing VCD movies on XP.
    Quote Quote  
  27. DinoPollard
    I have XP and I did try the registry solution and VCDs still don't play on my computer

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try using isobuster from Smart Projects (isobuster.com). Just point to the Dat file when it reads the VCD and extract the user data as an MPG to your hard drive. Works everytime for me!

Synchron 8)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well, if you extract the mpeg off a VCD, of course you can view it... However, that hardly seems like a good solution for someone who just wants to view the VCD on their PC...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Surely I must be missing the point here - BUT if you simply open media player in XP, go to files and explore the cd and select the DAT files they open and play. Even if the CD contains many .dat files they are listed.

Also Powerdvd plays VCDs just fine.

Opening movies full screen - well I suppose it all depends on processor, graphics card, chipset drivers, original size of the movie, what else is running in the background hogging resources.
    TOMMO
    Quote Quote