VideoHelp Forum

View Poll Results: Which type of DVD Burner do you own?

Voters
930. This poll is closed
  • DVD-R(W)

305 32.80%
  • DVD+R(W)

151 16.24%
  • DVD-RAM

8 0.86%
  • NONE

72 7.74%
  • DVD-R(W) / DVD RAM

34 3.66%
  • DVD-R(W) / DVD+R(W)

303 32.58%
  • DVD±R(W) / DVD RAM

57 6.13%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Despite what people like PhilipL repeat for months and years, I now have two writer drives that can write to DVD+R media at 4x and DVD+RW media at 2.4x.

One is NEC ND-1100A and the other is Sony DRU-500A. Of course, the DRU-500A can also write to DVD-R media at 4x and DVD-RW media at 2.0x.

Many of my friends also have NEC ND-1100A which is a Plus-only drive.

I got my 4x DVD+R writer at half the price of a Pioneer 2x DVD-R writer. And it looked like a South Korean product even though it was manufactured in Malaysia and sold under NEC name.

2. I have heard people say that thisdrive suck this one is good. I hvae the pioneer A04 and my friend has the Sony DRU500a both work fine no problem's I have seen people say this one suck do not get it. You might get a good one or a bad one. If it's friday night and people are working making drive's people do that make this stuff want to go home. I paln on buying the DRU500A to burn both format's why DVD+R is cheeper in the store in the USA some time's I talking about buying blank disc in the store not online some time's DVD-R has more on sale and with rebate's a five pack can cost ten dollars for name brand disc. I have try some meritline disc they suck. So take ever thing with a grain of salt what does not work for one will work for another

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To me, it looks like DVD+R will win the war. You would think DVD-R would, but it's not looking good out there. I went to several stores and I only found one store that had DVD-R media available. None of the stores carried any DVD-R(W) burners at all. There Sony, I/O, Memorex, Verbatim, and some others. DVD+R media is also going down. SAMS had a 12 pack of DVD+Rs for $23.99 which is cheap if you only buy from a retail store. Office Max, Office Depot, and Circuit City all carried DVD+Rs in 5 packs for $19.99 and one store had a 5 pack of DVD-Rs for also $19.99.

4. Around New York, DVD+R are more expensive than DVD-R drives. Media for both are about the same price and DVD+R seems to be pushed more. Internet prices however, DVD+R costs about 2x as DVD-R. I personally just bought myself a A05 drive(about $220 after rebates) because, 1- media is cheaper, 2- the drive itself it cheaper. I know about all the (minor) advantages of DVD+R and was planning to buy the sony dual drive. But I figured by the time there is a a clear cut winner and one phases out totally, drives will cheaper and faster. I'll just get a new one.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioneer 104 right now and I have no problems with it. But Lite-On will intro in the 2nd quarter of this year a +R/-R 4X combo drive for $199.00 USD retail. The price on the Sonys will drop big time after it is introduced. One question I have is why is +R media more expensive to buy when it is the cheapest to manufacture? Does'nt make sense does it?

6. As for drives I use the SonyDRUa and for the price of dvd burners I'm not sure why anyone looking to buy one woundn't choose the Sony. You get the best of both worlds so if incompatibility is an issue you're covered. Looks like most posters claim more compatibility with dvd+r/rw media but I cant find anything that'll play it myself. I tried backing up my dvd's onto either dvd-rw and dvd+rw but neither will play on any stand alone player I own. Now I just use Accu dvd-r's and have no problems whatsoever. I wished like everyone else that we could just go grab some blank media of any type or brand and burn away without any worries....yeah right.

7. The sony Dru is expensive. It goes for 350+. While you can get a pioneer a05 for about 199. DVD-R media is cheaper right now. If and when DVD+R wins the war, there will be faster and cheaper drives out.

8. I just bought the cyndyne x4 -r(w) burner over the weekend, which I believe is the A05 burner. I have been wanting on for who knows how long and finally got it at staples for $140 after rebate

I am very pleased with the burner so far having already burned a few movies onto dvd-r. I need to find cheaper media (office max currently has a 10 pack of -R for $20.00), but am loving the burner. I personally hope (for obvious reasons) that the -R's win out over dvd+r. From what I have read it is split, juse hope I don't end up on the betamax side (again).

Happy burnin to y'all

9. DVD+RW made to be compatible with most pcs. dvd-r is old and it's tech is so bad that too much error while burning or very hard to install. dvd+rw can make a more compatible disc. i have a verbatim dvd+rw and burned 30disc already without a coaster. all of the disc play fine in all standalone dvd players. even my old sony dvd player.

10. oh got you one better I have the HP 200xi +R and I have done over 200 +R's without a hitch and they play in anything I try them on including the XBOX and PS2 and no matter what brand of media I use and my +RW's play in my Panasonic, Daewoo's and Sampo DVD players and even - Ha Ha in my -R Panasonic DVD home recorders, both the E10 and the E20.
    Plus Sams club now sells the Verbatim +R's and +RW's for $2 and $2.60 respectfully, no more shopping on line and NO store here in phoenix can even come close to selling -R name brands for that price. Strange that Sams Club only sells the +R format, if -R was the format winning hands down I am sure they would carry -R's also.

11. I haven't seen anyone else post this, but I bought the Toshiba 5002 a few weeks ago...look at www.componentsdirect.com I got mine for just over $181 with shipping. The nice thing is that it not only does DVD-R(W) but also burns CDs...and much faster than my previous CD burner, and it reads and burns embedded data, like a Plexar will, unlike my ACER burner. I use the Toshiba along with my Liteon DVD-rom for making copies of already burned DVDs (I use Recordnow Max) and it works flawlessly. I have been using Princo discs (advertised as LEDA) that are shinny white on one side and purple on the other. I haven't had a coaster yet of the 10 or so I've burned and they play in my Sampo and Koss portable DVD free standing players as well as the Apex at work (not to mention on my computer) with no problem. They even play in my son's PS2! I have also tried Maxell DVD-RW (a birthday gift...probably wouldn't buy any on my own) and they work fine in everything except the Sampo....don't know why. But I am well pleased with the burner. Have yet to try a true 2x speed disc...but it's suppose to burn those too. The main reason I wanted this machine is because of the price and the DVD-. I wasn't instrested in the +R due to the cost of media as well as the burner.

12. DVD-R and +R have very close compatible ratings.Every player I have put a +R/RW into plays flawlessly! Also, when I went looking for a DVD burner, I saw very little if any -R/RW drives.I wanted the Pioneer DVR-A05 at first, but no one had the bloody thing or really any -R drives.Hell, I wanted to buy the Pioneer drive since the A03!But, when I was able to afford a DVD burner, I found the DVD+R.The +R/RW media is not really more expensive than the other stuff in my area anyway.My TDK IndiDVD +R/RW drive burns everytime, flawlessly.This particular media war is actually pointless because most Standalone players play both.Once I found the very close compatibility, I no longer cared which format I got.DVD-R has been on the market longer, that is why the poll is the way it is.

13. Dont think you guys are giving the dvd+r writer a chance here.
    it is after all a much faster writer than the dvd-r and offers the same compatability, the only down side i can see is that the disks will not read in the x-box,

My X-Box plays my DVD+R's like a champ!

14. I cast my vote for the Panasonic LF-D321U DVD-RAM/R I love this thing. I don't use ReWriteable for my standalone so I think dvdram is the greatest format ever if you don't need compatability w/other drives. I can drag and drop, but best if I erase a file, I get that space Without having to format the disc like cdrw, or DVD-rw+rw. Hardware data verification 100,000 rewrites. Beside I can burn a flick on it and test my creation on the Pc before makinf a DVD-R. Helpfull when your a dumbass like me and using Maestro. Plus the drag and drop is without DLA software so you ain't got that running resident and formats take about 20seconds exepting the one in a month of sundays when you need to do a phyical format. I also get DVD-R writability with this drive and buffer underrun so for 199 bucks with software and a blank pana DVD-Ram disc its pretty hot setup.
    Sean
    We all like Sheep have gone astray...

Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone-I've had the Sony DRU500a since it first came out. It is a little pricey, but I've never got a discount on any other Sony stuff either. It's a good drive, no coasters so far. As it was in the early Pioneer DVD days, I've found DVD-R the best format for video. Since having the Sony, the DVD+RW format has made backing up my files much easier.
    Because of the drive's popularity, the support for it from Sony and DVD software companies has been pretty good. Plenty of user feedback as well.
    Best regards-Ron B

16. 500a: No coasters, no problems. Only wish the friggin faceplate was flat so I could stealth it. LoL

17. Geez.. I think my time has GOT to be worth more than the measly $20 it costs to buy the freakin DVD.

By the time you rip it and copy it you might as well by it and have all the goodies on the same disk.

But i guess if youre workin for 5 bucks an hour.. then maybe it IS worth your time. Oh well.. just my .02 worth.

18. I have a Ricoh +r/rw and a Pioneer -r/rw so i have the best of both. All those of you who say - is the best or the way forward should just wait and see. The truth is nobody know which format will take the number 1 slot, its way to early to tell. The cost of - and + media is very close in the UK so no gain there, the drives cost the same so still now gain and the quality is the same..... Time will tell and when the dual layer burners come out, who knows which format will be the king.

19. Originally Posted by billshack
    ...But i guess if youre workin for 5 bucks an hour.. then maybe it IS worth your time. Oh well.. just my .02 worth.
    If you're makin $5 an hour, you can't afford a DVD burner. heh

Seriously, I generally don't burn DVD's that are available for $20. The few I've done were DVD's that are OOP currently. These will hold me off until they're re-pressed, or I find a used one for something less than the cost of a house.

Most publishers re-release stuff every coupla years, and I've already tossed 2 of my copies because I found originals.

My other use for it is movies I loan or my 12yo son use. This is for protection of my originals. I already had to replace my Tron DVD because somebody borrowed it and scratched the heck out of it. DiscDr couldn't remove enough of the scratches for it to play properly.

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm probably the only one on the forum that has a 4x TDK indiDVD DVD+R/RW. It burns whole dvds in ten minutes.

21. Billshack Wrote:
    Geez.. I think my time has GOT to be worth more than the measly $20 it costs to buy the freakin DVD.

By the time you rip it and copy it you might as well by it and have all the goodies on the same disk.

But i guess if youre workin for 5 bucks an hour.. then maybe it IS worth your time. Oh well.. just my .02 worth.

In over 90% of the cases here, it has absolutly nothing to do with money, either saving or spending, it's about the fun of customization, especially when its a vhs to dvd that is not available in disc save maybe a boot. But money has nothing toi do with it, spend a 20 save a fiver big deal, it's a hobby, and hence so, about fun.

Sean
    We all like Sheep have gone astray...

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by IremainAMisterE
    Hahahahahaha! Look at the percentage difference between -R and +R.The naysayers better get used to this because -R DVD burners are the future. Between the price of + and people like Sony and HP making the drives, fogeddaboudid. Companies like Sony are looking for any way to stop us from copying movies. So i say F**k them and their +R drives! I don't even care if they come out with a 50x drive, i would rather have my 2x DVD copying Pioneer any day.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

23. Geez.. I think my time has GOT to be worth more than the measly $20 it costs to buy the freakin DVD.

Everybody that buys a DVD burner is burning Movies and Everybody that buys a CDR is burning Music CDs. Think before you speak.

Search Comp PM
    Sony DRU-120A

The -R's maybe leading now, But that will change soon!
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe not. The DVD-RW, Pioneer 105s are flying off the shelves,here. I had to order one in advance to get it.(for a decent price) Cost is the main factor. If a DVD-R burner can hit the $100.00U.S mark, it's all over.

26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I now have three.

1. NEC ND-1100A (4x DVD+R)
    2. Pioneer DVR-A05 (4x DVD-R)
    3. Toshiba SD-R5002 (2x DVD-R)

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROBERT BLACK
    Maybe not. The DVD-RW, Pioneer 105s are flying off the shelves,here. I had to order one in advance to get it.(for a decent price) Cost is the main factor. If a DVD-R burner can hit the $100.00U.S mark, it's all over.
    Thanks to the gigantic demand, that was achieved first by the DVD Plus RW companies long ago. They could hit US$90 mark and that was why it ended so early. You may not have been able to buy a 2.4x DVD+R/+RW PC writer for US$90 but the greatest PC makers in the world could.

28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my first post here so 'hi to everyone'

I recently bought a Ricoh MP5125A +R for £160 from Dixons UK and have had nothing but joy with it.

PowerDVD dosent like it much and gives me a BSOD when exiting 5 times out of 10, so i dont use PDVD anymore, WinDVD is fine tho.

Backing up my dvd's all work fine in my rubbish standalone player on cheapo disks as well as expensive ones.

Im a + writer fan as long as there is media around for it and hopefully that will be for a long time.

Ive noticed the + drives are gradually moving up in the poll but im sure the multidrives are going to be the winner here which makes everyone a winner

Search Comp PM
    An interesting companion poll to this one would be to ask the dual format owners which format they find themselves burning most often.

Search Comp PM
    Seems like I fall in the majority.

Have myself the Toshiba SD-R5002 I picked up for real cheap ($160) from ESBUY.com.

Its a 1-2x dvd burn and I found something interesting, wanted to see if others havd found the same thing with thier drive types

I can burn 1x rated disks (you know the real cheap ones that are like .78$/disk (DVD PRO GRADE A) type at 2x! And they work fine!

Anyone else experience this?!

I think its great! cheap disks and faster burning! (Could be my drive though, just wanted to know)