VideoHelp Forum

View Poll Results: Which type of DVD Burner do you own?

Voters
930. This poll is closed
  • DVD-R(W)

305 32.80%
  • DVD+R(W)

151 16.24%
  • DVD-RAM

8 0.86%
  • NONE

72 7.74%
  • DVD-R(W) / DVD RAM

34 3.66%
  • DVD-R(W) / DVD+R(W)

303 32.58%
  • DVD±R(W) / DVD RAM

57 6.13%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Yes, this is the main bone of contention, that at least one in four DVDR's won't play at all. That's why I wouldn't be too hasty in declaring that either -r or +r will win. I honestly think they are only hybrid formats until a proper home digital disc recording system becomes available.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got the Sony DRU-500A on 10/14. Only really one type of media didn't recognize at first,but after the upgrade,even that was good. Plays and records crap media (Khypermedia 25 for 6.99,www.jandr.com) works well with latest CloneCD,and now that I have my ATI capture card,and my Macrovision doohickey,there's nothing I can't record!! Look out ,world...
    Ruffrob Entertainment,R/B for the Digital Age

Search Comp PM
    I do not care about media wars. +R versus -R is irrelevant and no one seems to address it.

I addressed it this weekend when I bought my DVD burner. I chose the Aopen (Made by RICOH actually) +R(W) after researching here and elsewhere. Media was my first thought but soon became less of a thought when I saw how many drives have ISSUES.

Brand new multi-format SONY burns coasters. Matter of fact it seems like a multi-function burner that cant burn any
    PIONEERS - Coasters and strange LEad out times
    HP - COasters

In all, any name brand I looked at had terrible reviews and people gave them 8 's and 9 's !!! If you have to try loads of media types to find what works, that is not an 8. That is a 3.

The Aopen made by Ricoh is to me like my NEC CDRW drive designed by Ricoh. STeady, no issues, burns everything, 1000's of times.

So + or - , just give me one that BURNS EVERY TIME and one that plays as it should in set top DVD players.

Just MHO
    So

4. well where is this mystical burner at. I google searched it and all I found was some australian site telling me if I wasnt from there dont bother.

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    arcorob:

If you look carefully, all currently shipping +R(W) drives other than the Sony dual format are made my Ricoh. It really doesn't matter what brand you buy, you're getting the same drive. Mine was sold under the "Ikebana" brand and works great.

Search Comp PM
    Thanks !! Just received my drive last night , installed, fired it up and PERFECTION. Burned from the very first attempt, bith DVD +R and DVD +RW. Have not tested CD-R yet..Was too thrilled with my new toy.

Interesting note. In the user guide, it mentions having been tuned to reach 99.9% media compatibility. Which could be why we don't see alot of IT WONT BURN posts.

But thanks..wish I had know they made a multi-format before..Oh well...

Search Comp PM
    None.

Search Comp PM
    willie, there are several places you can get the MYTHICAL drive in the US

Here is where I got mine...269.00 in retail box..cheapest on the next

http://www.pc-beyond.com/

Search Comp PM
    Ehrm, argh, grmbl...

Is this another crappy war-of-the-dvd-recordable-formats-topic or what??!

Man, this su(|<s!

And, the poll doesnt really fit to my equipment: Px04 (-R/W) and Ricoh5120 (DVD+RW)...anyway.

10. havent got one yet but i am looking at getting the sony that does both, i think that people are missing the point witn dvdr+, i think this format will replace the vcr as you will be able to go back onto a disc and place extra menus and other edits as it does not fully finalize the disc like the dvd - with the right software that is

Search Comp PM
    No war here. I bought the Aopen (Ricoh ) because of experience with its burn capablities and solidness of firmware.

I have had it since last week and NOT A GLITCH and no media issues.

Search Comp PM
    Right!

The DVD+R/W format offers more flexibility especially for "video-enthusiasts". 8)

13. Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]Ehrm, argh, grmbl...

Is this another crappy war-of-the-dvd-recordable-formats-topic or what??!

Man, this su(|<s!

And, the poll doesnt really fit to my equipment: Px04 (-R/W) and Ricoh5120 (DVD+RW)...anyway.
    This is not a dvd-recordable-formats-topic war. You may think that its sucks, others may disagree. Especially those who are unsure with format to choose. If you don't like this thread or find it useful, then don't read it.

Option 6 DVD-R(W) / DVD+R(W) fits your situation.

Search Comp PM
    I meant that just about a few post here... so, np.

It doesnt fit, cause my 5120 can only write DVD+RW, not +R...

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I looked on the PC-beyond web site and the only DVD+RW there is the "A Open" drive. Is this the Ricoh drive. The good thing I see about it is the price and speed and the good software that comes with it.

It seems the format of the DVD+R is trying to add features to solve some hardware position problems that cropped up in DVD-R drives,... and to add the ability to continue to add chapters, titles, etc.,... and who knows what down the road.

The PC Mag on the news stands gave the best buy to Sony's Dual unit, mostly so they would have egg on their face by selecting a format that would turn out to be wrong. As far as the German PC stores making a "Technical decision" on which format is the best,... don't count on that. The DVD unit they put in the 200,000 PC's will be the one that makes them the most money.

I'm sure everyone would like to get past this, buy the right one and get on the what we really want to do. The Sony's unit covers all the bases.
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In looking much closer at PC Beyond, I found the Ricoh model but the initial description is wrong and has it as a DVD-RW, which is wrong. When you look at the details it is a DVD+RW. The model 5120A does not support DVD+R. The model 5125A now supports DVD+R.

Also, in looking very close at the Ricoh web site they show that by July of this year, 80% of DVD sales in the US were DVD+RW and 60% in Germany. This seems like a very good lead for the +RW format.

The Aopen unit seems to have the same specs as the Ricoh 5125A, and the software package that comes with it is much better than what you get with the Ricoh, ALTMO.

By this late date, they must be selling those PC's in Germany. Has anyone found out what unit they have??

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased the Philips DVDRW228. Writes to DVD+R/+RW in + format.

Choice was simple, good write up for the format, its ability to reauthor menu driven DVD disks without having to redo the whole disk again is excellent when proving the mastering process.

Disks are a little bit more expensive, but out of 15 disk, NONE have been coasters - touch wood. However, by using the internet rather than shops, the disk are now down to Ł2.79 each for verbatim.

Compatible, well obviously with my Philips DVD711, my daughter AIWA both +RW and +R. My brothers NAD which refuses to [lay VCD, will play the DVD+RW format.

Overall delighted with the drive. Seems very stable.
    TOMMO

Search Comp PM
    The thing is, in fact, the +R/W technology is the more flexible and powerful compared to the -R/W technology and + offers extra features especially for videoediting n stuff.

BTW, 96% of all +R/W drives are in fact made and licensed by RICOH, AOpen, Philips etc etc are selling those drives under their own brand...

8)

19. OK the only thing that matters is.
    What does the consumer want.
    Cheap or flexebility.
    I have the Aopen2412Pro for 2 weeks (I knew it was a Ricoh).
    Why +R it's more flexible, and the price of the media will go down in 6 months so don't even make a big problem out of that.
    The more people who will buy a +R the cheaper the media will get.
    At this time I get the +RW for 4,80 Euro (That's write media)
    and the +R (Mr. Platinum) for 2,75 Euro this is in normal shops so no discount, internet or what else you can think of, just a normal shop where everyone can buy.

And I think the poster from Germany has a point.
    If the ALDI puts a +R/RW in the PC the media will be cheaper within 1 month, if they put in a -R/RW that media will be cheaper.
    So a whole lot of "the Battle" will be in the hands of these giant discount stores.

So to say it short.
    It's up to us, the users.
    What do we want the cheapest way (But not for long)
    or the more flexible and compatible
    The incompatebility can most of the time be solved with a firmware update on cd

A poster from The Netherlands (Europe)

20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ---CHEF--- Where did you look to confirm that 96% of the +RW drives were made by Ricoh. In looking at the spec's for AOPEN, they are the same in all cases for the Ricoh,... but what about the others.

Also, someone earlier said they saw some reviews where many of the other brands of DVD-RW made coasters. Can anyone tell us where we can find these reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Search Comp PM
    Mh, yup, again.

I think I got a lil experience with -R/W and +RW now, since 5 months working with them. I wrote approx. 96% cause there are drives out that combine -R/W or +R/RW with DVD-RAM.

1 big point for - is the more compatibility with "older" drives/standalone DVD-Players..
    1 big point for + is the standard speed (at least 2,4x or newer 4x) and the drive superiority...yeah, try to find a wrecked +R/W drive...

uperior sources:
    www.firmware-forum.com
    www.mediaforums.net

I think in January we will have "more knowledge" about whats going on for DVD recording next year... 8)

Search Comp PM
    Oh, the first link should be:

www.firmware-flash.com

23. Well I just ordered the Aopen(DVRW2412PRO)!!! From what I have read it is the one to go with. The Sony DRU500A was on my mind too, but all the forums I read it has tons of trouble. I want a burner that is gonna burn everytime no problem. This seems to be the one to go with if you want that. I have only read a couple of probs with the firmware, but it could be the user not the software. Even though it is not dual format the + format seems to be the way the formats are going. I will post asap on how easy the install and how good it burns. I am excited!

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have started a smiliar poll here.

Which type of DVD writer/recorder do you have?

Not anything yet 0 0%
    DVD-RAM 0 0%
    DVD-R 0 0%
    DVD-R / DVD-RAM 0 0%
    DVD-R / DVD-RW 1 100.00%
    DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD-RAM 0 0%
    DVD+RW 0 0%
    DVD+R / DVD+RW 0 0%
    DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+R / DVD+RW 0 0%
    DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-RAM

25. SONY DRU500A
    Great drive!! Just upgrade to 1.0f firmware and all the media i have, including very cheap one works at 2X...with this drive i can record DVD+-R and DVD+-RW ... works great with the new firmware and it's 100% compatible with my standalone DVD player SONY NS405.

26. Sony DRU500A

No coasters, even with cheap media. Burns both formats. Now does 4X too with 1.0f firmware.

As for people wanting a drive that burns every time - well, this drive has been able to read every disc it has burned. My player (dodgy Nintaus) plays all of them.

My sister has an old 1st generation player (TEAC) which won't play VCD or anything else. It WON'T read a DVD-R disc, but DVD+R works perfectly. I have also played some home DVD's on friends' players and the DVD+R format has worked in every player. Even PC players that won't play DVD-R have played my DVD+R's fine.

I sometimes use RecordNow (came with the drive), but mostly I use Nero 5.5.9.17, and select DVD-ROM.

Note that I always use a +RW or -RW to test the authoring before I burn to either +R or -R. I wonder how many other people do this also? If not, that's probly part of the reason some people are making coasters. I would have made heaps of coasters had I not tested on RW first.

The only coasters I've made have been due to earlier version of Nero which didn't fully support the DRU500, and the other night a capacitor blew next to my CPU mid burn. I can't blame either of these coasters on the drive.

Cheers,

Peka + Drugs =

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, you guy take this s**t seriously. I have 2ea. HP 200i +R/RW and a new Cendyne DVD-R/RW and all is GOOD. Rememder DOOM 9 is the goal.

Good Luck
    Strength and Honor

DVD 9 to 5 ME
    http://www2.whidbey.net/mnms/

28. -R(RW) may win this poll, but they will not outlast +R(RW) drives. Can you say Lossless Linking Technology??? If you have a -R(RW) drive probably not!

29. PROTEUS,

I have been able to play DVD+R and DVD+RW Memorex disks in my XBOX...Maybe you should give them a shot.

~LATE

30. Hi

-R(RW) may win this poll, but they will not outlast +R(RW) drives. Can you say Lossless Linking Technology??? If you have a -R(RW) drive probably not!
    Sorry but this is utter rubbish that is spread about by dvdplusrw.org. DVD-RW has zero lossless linking, no differently to +RW and has had since it was first spec'd.

How do we know? Well dvdplusrw tells us that Pioneers reference to lossless linking is just buffer under-run, despite being told different by many people! According to dvdplusrw, as DVD-RW does not support lossless linking it can not replace sectors and so can not support "on-disc" editing like +RW.

Maybe someone should tell DVD MovieFactory that has been replacing menus, trimming video, adding video etc, all on my A04 with a DVD-RW disc quite happily actually using the same +VR format that supposedly only +RW can work with, and it plays back on my DVD player just fine. Not had a single disc error or problem and have been pushing it quite hard changing this and that! See: http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137810 Of course this is ONLY possible as DVD-RW does indeed support lossless linking. After all it is in the specifications and has been since 1997!

In Philips defence they have never said to my knowledge that DVD-RW does not support lossless linking, only that +RW has lossless linking, it is only the aforementioned site that tells us we have no lossless linking on DVD-RW, so just shows how much promoted there is complete fantasy and rubbish.

Also, no +RW drives on the market support any of these promoted benefits of +RW, it is all marketing and vapourware some 18 months on.

Mt Rainier
    Defect Management (Requires Mt Rainier)
    CAV recording

DVD-RW/DVD-R is miles more reliable than +RW, has more users as poll shows us, and I for one prefer to give my money to a company that tells me what I am buying now, not what I may be able to buy if I ditch what I buy now and buy again in a years time, if it happens at all.

Regards

Philip