VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All:

So, I got ffmpegx to produce svcd images . They are too large though (856 MG) to fit on 1 CD. Here is what I did:

1. Soruce was dv captured from tv (converter box). Exported as high quality .mov and activated the high quality flag in QT Pro.

2. Ran above source through ffmpegx. Selected SVCD options and calculated bit rate to fit 46 minutes on 1 CD. Bitrate was 1906 I think. I then selected deinterlace from the MPEG 1/4 dialog and VBR from the MPEG2 screen. I set the quality (qt values) real high, and set the audio to 44.1 (when I ran it at 48 I got errors in the middle of the process). I also set borders for l + r to mask the tv broadcast fuzz.

3. So, the mpeg file is beautiful, except the borders were applied to t + b, instead of l + r. I entered the borders for t + b, but ended up with the same. What settings am I not understanding to get ffmpegx to make the image files smaller? Also, is there a work around for the border/crop issue — I know the tv doesn't normally show the fuzz, as it falls off the screen while viewing the original signal.

Thanks so much — I feel that I am almost there — a very exciting feeling

LD-50
    Quote Quote  
  2. - the mpeg-2 splitter is not functional in 0.0.4 alpha. Either wait for the next version or split the source and not expect the result being sized for a CD automatically.
    - standard SVCD forces 2500 bitrate no matter what you enter.
    - the q value gives high quality by using -lower- values (best=2).
    - crop is not active with mpeg-2, instead an automatic letterboxing is applied to fit the source in 4:3 or 16:9 image ratios.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    major- so there isnt a way to edit your bitrate? or is there? cant seem to get it to work when tryin to change up terminal commands, it wont seem to let me change anything, when i try to reenter it i get errors. how do u do it personally, is there a special way? do u copy everything up until the encode part, or is there a an easier way by just copying a short portion or certain section?
    Quote Quote  
  4. To change bitrate u need to select XSVCD profile in MPEG-2 options.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Much Thanks Major:

Just curious — is there any maximum "play time" for a Standard SVCD? I haven't come across any time = video(audio) type of relationship. I cropped by using a mask in QT and it works great. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mjaor-
    i have a a framerate of 23.77, kind of odd, but should i just put it to NTSC FILM or manually put in 23.77? only thing is, when i manully put in a framerate it doesnt seem to work in terminal in making svcd. what do u think, should i stick to NTSC FILM or otherwise how should i edit framerate? thanks for all the help...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Tolly
    how should i edit framerate?
    Completely erase the framerate field contents and enter a value.
    Quote Quote