VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Question...

Is it possible to burn a VCD compliant CD, and yet add an MPG file onto it also. I want to make a CD that will play on my DVD player, but at the same time will hold the original MPG file.

I understand that I could pull the DAT file off the disc and convert it, but I don't want to do that. I'm working with a computer illiterate family member, and would like to do it this way.

So plain and simple, can I add a MPG file (or any file, really) to a VCD cd while still making it VCD compliant?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You would be adding the same thing twice, the .dat file is the mpeg, if you wanted to play it just open it in Media player, there is no need to convert .dat files to anything.

.dat will also load into Vdub for conversion to AVI, or TMPGEnc for conversion to SVCD, just exactly the same way as you would load the mpeg.

Authoring programs would automatically add the mpeg and change its headers to a VCD.dat

If you really want the mpeg on a disk, burn it as a DATA disk not VCD
    Quote Quote  
  3. You completely missed the point of my question, which I tried to thoroughly explain in the question.

I understand you can convert the DAT files to MPG and all that, but I don't want to deal with all that because I'm trying to set up a CD for a family member who doesn't understand things.

Here's an easier question that might clear it us. Let's say I have a Word Document that I want to add to a VCD. When I put the CD into my DVD player, it will play like a regular VCD. When I put the CD into my computer and use Windows Explorer to access the information, I can go into a folder and access the documents I have on the CD. The important part though is I don't want this additional folder of information to interfere with the DVD reading the disc as a compliant VCD.

Any advice if this is possible, and if so, how to do it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. The .DAT file is the same mpg file you got from tmpgenc.

When you burn a vcd the mpg is just renamed not converted.

So just open the file with mediaplayer and it will play like any regular
    mpg file.

But if you want to add a different mpeg file or any file, try it.
    Should it be put in a specific folder?, I do not know.
    Quote Quote  
  5. mikewg:

Yes it is possible to add a file to a VCD. If you use VCDEasy you can just click on the ISO Files button and add your files to the root of the CD.

This will not convert the file in any way (it will still have the MPG extension for your relative's benefit).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikewg
    You completely missed the point of my question, which I tried to thoroughly explain in the question.
    I do apologize, must be to many late nights or not drinking more coffee

Let me put it another way, if you copied the mpeg onto the disk twice, what have you achieved ?, apart from needing double the space, you have achieved nothing !

The .dat file is the mpeg file !!!, its not converted to anything !!, it has been renamed, and its headers are something different, but it is still the same file as before, so it will play via file selection or in a DVD player. There is no point in putting it on there twice !

However you answer your question exactly as you want !, No the disk will no longer be a fully compliant VCD !
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you put additional files into the ISO filesystem, the VCD is still fully compliant. You can place any files in it, including the "original MPEG" file if you so wish.

The ".DAT" file is only the "MPEG" file in so much that it contains the same data. There are different headers and Media Player will generally baulk at trying to play it unless you force it to. If your family is really that computer illiterate, then placing the original MPEG file onto the VCD filesystem is fine. You will be using up MORE than twice the space though.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    If you put additional files into the ISO filesystem, the VCD is still fully compliant. You can place any files in it, including the "original MPEG" file if you so wish.

The ".DAT" file is only the "MPEG" file in so much that it contains the same data. There are different headers and Media Player will generally baulk at trying to play it unless you force it to. If your family is really that computer illiterate, then placing the original MPEG file onto the VCD filesystem is fine. You will be using up MORE than twice the space though.

Regards.
    I gave the "No longer compliant" for a good reason. However since you now want to elaborate on this issue, I suggest you now explain fully how the mpeg is added to the data structure using the program they have.

Oh and as a warning, some DVD player will reject the VCD that has mpeg files added as data and not single tracks, as they access tack 1 for the VCD contents, a record of all data files are there.
    Quote Quote  
  9. mikewg

I guess you have your answer by now but just one pedantic point
    if I may. It is convention to put all windows files under a folder
    called WIN so that if you later look at the VCD file structure, you are
    going to know that something is in there to play just for the computer.

There is a similar convention for DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Vitualis, KingJohn

This stuff interests me pretty much. I am making a CD that has double function :
    1 - When put on a standalone DVD player will work as a VCD
    2 - When placed on a computer, will autorun, and play a multimedia application that I developed.

I pretended to use the AVSEQ01.DAT file, created by NERO, and placed on the MPEGAV folder , for both uses ( 1 and 2 described above ).
    My multimedia application accesses other files placed on different folders, on the same CD, such as mp3 files, image files, etc.

This works OK on computer running Windows 98.

But does not work on computer or notebook running Windows XP or Windows 2000. ATTENTION : MY MULTIMEDIA APPLICATION CAN ACCESS AND RUN ALL OTHER FILES, BUT NOT THE AVSEQ01.DAT.

I have seen a lot of questions about it on the Software Playing forum. But did not find a solution up to now.

As you guys say, the DAT file is the MPEG file with a different header. Could that be the cause for my multimedia application not to be able to open/play it ? It is strange , since it works OK on Windows 98 SE .

If I don't come up with a solution, I will then have to PLACE BOTH THE DAT AND THE MPEG file on the CD, so as to guarantee that it will play on all Windows versions.

I hope you guys can help me on this issue.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Oh don't worry about the flames, we do it all a time

A VCD is a standard dual function already When you place it in a DVD player it will play the .dat when placed in a PC "CD ROM" it can also be made to autorun with a simple autorun.inf to instruct WMP to play the .dat file, or include a player instead.

As an example, Roxio Easy Cd Creator, automatically places its Media Player and an autorun.inf in the route of the VCD, any computer configured as "Insert notification" switched on, would read the autorun.inf and follow its instructions.

You said in one of your posts, you tried to copy the .dat file, and this failed during transfer, this indicates a problem with the drive not reading the VCD disk.

Making a data disk may allow the notebook to read it correctly, but not a DVD
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I need it to run on both a PC and a standalone DVD player.
    The problem is specifically with the DAT file, since my multimedia application can read other files on the cd .

Yeah, the autorun.inf is same as for what my multimedia authoring tool delivers. It calls my exe application .

Does Nero have the option to make autorun as Roxio ?

You said :
    "When you place it in a DVD player it will play the .dat when placed in a PC "CD ROM" it can also be made to autorun with a simple autorun.inf to instruct WMP to play the .dat file, or include a player instead. "

Can you detail on that ? I need a generic call to WMP that will work on any Windows OS !

Or maybe use the option of including the player on the CD and making the autorun.inf call this player.

It would nice to have menus and chapter points ( Movie Factory does it, but then how to burn the player and the autorun.inf ).
    Nero admits burning other files , but it's menu is no good ( no possibility for chapters ).

Any help ?
    Thank's
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by KingJohn
    I gave the "No longer compliant" for a good reason. However since you now want to elaborate on this issue, I suggest you now explain fully how the mpeg is added to the data structure using the program they have.

Oh and as a warning, some DVD player will reject the VCD that has mpeg files added as data and not single tracks, as they access tack 1 for the VCD contents, a record of all data files are there.
    Absolutely not. I strongly suggest you read some documentation at some time. It is fully compliant as long as you are still authoring your VCD correctly.

Obviously, an MPEG file on a CD-ROM is not a VCD.

Unless your player is absolutely crazy, it will obey the information as given in the PBC preferentially and parse it as per a normal VCD. Additional files placed in the ISO filesystem don't matter. It is irrelevant whether it is a text file or an MPEG file.

When a player reads a disc, it doesn't "read" the filesystem per se. The filesystem on a VCD is for the benefit of PCs and CD-i players. Rather, it looks a predetermined bits on the VCD to find the PBC information (read the VCDImager manual). It doesn't then go hunting around the ISO filesystem and kills itself when it finds an MPEG file in track 1 (because if it did, you wouldn't be able to place MPEG video as segment-items then would you?).

In any case, to author additional files into the ISO filesystem (any type of file including MPEG if you so wish), you can either use VCDImager by editing the XML file (or use a GUI like VCDEasy) or if you are a Nero user, simply drag the file into the filesystem window when you make the VCD.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Seems like there are 3 threads going on here-
    1. Your authoring program doesn't seem to want to work with .DAT files.
    2. You are worried about VCD compliancy re: additional files.
    3. You wanna know a good, slick way to make autorun "Hybrid" CD's.

Alright...
    1. What program are you using? This may not be the usual forum for it, but some of the guys here really know good tweaks and workarounds.

2. Vitualis was correct, a VCD that is otherwise completely compliant will still be compliant if additional files are added to the ISO track (aka Filesystem portion/Track 1). It is good programming, however, to put files in aptly named subfolders and not clutter up the root directory. Also, DVD players that won't read these discs may themselves not be completely up to spec. Vitualis hit the nail on the head when he said that set-tops only would look at a "filesystem" as a last resort (really only those new machines that can see MP3's/MPG/JPG). Most, if not all, stop when they see the bits for VCD, then go look in the predetermined place for PBC, etc.

3. I was waiting to make a nice guide for this, but it looks overdue so here goes:

PC Autorun for (S)VCD's

Unlike DVD's, CD autorun/autoplay is "player-dependant".

If you have a set-top player, some are set in the hardware design to play, some are set to sit and wait for a button push. It just depends on your model and there's nothing you can change about it.

On computers (PC's first, we'll talk Mac's later), autorun depends on:

1. Auto-Insert Notification still being turned on. This is on be default installation of Windows, but as most here know, it can be (and many times SHOULD be) turned off. There's more discussion about this on other forums and in other topics. That's enough for now-let's assume it's on.

2. A valid "AUTORUN.INF" file and support files in the root directory of the disc (usually CD, but could be any disc-Floppy, HD, DVD, Jaz, Zip,etc). If you want to know more about how to make autoruns, check out http://members.shaw.ca/xany/tips/autoruncd.html.
    Now, from what it says, you could use
    OPEN=SomeApp.EXE
    for your authored multimedia app, or if you only had a document file (PPT/PDF/HTML), you could use
    SHELLEXECUTE=SomeFile.ABC
    and it would launch the default application FOR THAT SYSTEM. That's the problem, cuz you never know what might be on somebody's computer as the default player.

But, let's break this down into 2 camps - players that can read a full (S)VCD disc spec, and players that can read and play individual mpeg files (or a simple playlist). For those who want an identical user experience on computer vs. set-top, you're gonna wanna go with the 1st option. But there is no good/bug-free/freely licenseable/re-distributable app. The Roxio player is pretty good (ECDC/WinOnCD/Vpack), but it has a bug with combo hi/lo rez MPG stills/menus and is COMMERCIAL and not redistributable without a paid license-only good for home/hobby use. Don't know for sure about STHVCD player or the like, but I don't really like its user interface, etc. Haven't tried any Ulead or Pinnacle stuff. Nero allows you to put in your own, but doesn't have one of its own.

You can either create your own, which takes alot of work to fully follow the VCD specs, or you can just go the individual file(s) player route. That is what I usually do. Here you can use a supplied player, but it is usually much easier to get WMP to play the files. The trick is in knowing all the permutations and requirements. If you rule out those computers that have a different default player, you know that all 32bit Windows come with at least 2 media players, the old MCI-only MPLAYER (which is not named that on NTtype machines-it's called MPLAY32-watch out!), or the MCI/Directshow MPLAYER2 (same on all machines, except there are variations in ver #). And now there is version 7.x and 8.x "WMPLAYER".
    This is mostly overkill and bloatware. My 1st choice is MPLAYER2.EXE. It uses DirectShow, which is much more modern and should play more smoothly and have more UI controls than the older MCI player. Also, unless the OS is 95b or better, or NT4sp3 or better, you have to add "AMOVIE" capability to the old player, and possibly additional MPEG decoders and drivers to get correct MPEG playback on those older machines.
    Now what do you do?
    Since MPLAYER2 uses DShow, you can make an ".ASX" file which directly references your VCD's \\MPEGAV\AVSEQxx.DAT (or MUSICxx.DAT) files. You could do the same with SVCD, but you have to make sure the computer has MPEG2 decoders installed-much more complicated. You can learn about ASX files here-->http://cita.rehab.uiuc.edu/mediaplayer/asx-overview.html

To recap:
    Make an ASX in a text editor that references (with relative, not absolute reference positioning) the AVSEQxx.DAT files.
    Make an Autorun.inf in a text editor that uses "Shellexecute" to run the associated ASX file with MPLAYER2 or WMPLAYER. Add a custom icon and/or readme if you want, too.
    Put those 2+files in the root directory of your ISO section of the VCD and you're done!

*This last part is easy to do in Nero/ECDC/WinOnCD/VCDImager/VCDEasy/TSCV. Ulead people I can't yet help, but you might try making your stock VCD disc, use VCDXrip to get the XML and dissassembled files, and add it via VCDImager/VCDEasy then. ?

**Hold on thar! Older versions of Win32 don't completely support "ShellExecute", only the "Open" command. Well, here's a freeware and Freely Redistributable executable that does the same thing...
    get it at http://develooper.com/code/shellexecute/. As long as you also distribute the "LICENSE.TXT" file, it's cool to use.

So now you have changed the Autorun from reading...
    Code:
    [autorun]
    shellexecute=somefile.asx
    to reading...
    Code:
    [autorun]
    open=shellexecute.exe somefile.asx
    and you have put 2 additional files into the root directory of the iso track/disc image, "SHELLEXECUTE.EXE" and "LICENSE.TXT" (you probably want to shorten the app to an appropriate 8.3 length for complete compatibility.

*** One last thing. I mentioned Macs before...
    I'll give just a few hints. Quicktime must be v3 or better, with "autoplay" ON. Make a dummy LO quality QT movie to be encoded by Toast 5TIT. It'll encode and burn, and your disc will have-in addition to the VCD stuff, a Reference QT movie(s) which references the \\MPEGAV\AVSEQxx.DAT file(s). For Autorun to really work you got to jump back and forth between Macs and PCs with the disc image tweaking as you go (this is my secret for now), so that you get a Track 1 Filesystem which is not just ISO, but also Mac HFS.

Well, I'm tired out and I didn't even put in the graphics. More later. HTH.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Cornucopia,

Thank's for your reply.
    My multimedia applications are developed with Multimedia Builder 4.8 .
    It is a pretty nice authoring tool.
    It generates a compiled exe and the autorun.inf.
    I use MCICommands to control my MPEG1 files, from within my exe .
    No problem on whatever Win version.

Now, making a CD that will also act as a VCD on standalone DVD players, I just modified my MCICommands to access the AVSEQ01.DAT file on the MPEGAV folder, instead of opening the .MPG file I had before.
    It works on WIN98 and 2000 , but on XP , the application can not open the .DAT file although the rest of the application works OK.

If I cannot solve this issue, I will have to abandon my Multimedia application and make the CD autorun on the PC as a simple VCD with menus and so on.

I am pretty much sure there is a way for it to work on the PC , just as it does on the standalone DVD player ( I would like to have it open the menu with chapter points and so, that's why I would need a player ).

Can't we tell autorun.inf to open a player like for instance MicroDVD, which I think can be freely distributed ?

Does WinOnCD help with this ?

Thank's again .
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lula1

I use Nero to burn my VCDs and when I put them in my DVD player (Toshiba 1200) they take off and run. Also with auto run turned on on my computer they will also start running. So I would have to say that Nero does have the option to make autorun like Roxio has.
    Quote Quote  
  17. MikeV,

win2k and XP have an autorun procedure that attempts to identify
    any inserted disc and then play it - it is in the operating sytem itself
    and not made by Nero on your cdr's. Thus if you tried to play your
    video's on a win98/95 machine it would not be likely to autorun.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

I take the same VCD a put it in my daughters WIN98SE computer and it autoruns. Also any standalone DVD players I put it into it autoruns.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="vitualis"]
    Originally Posted by KingJohn
    Absolutely not. I strongly suggest you read some documentation at some time. It is fully compliant as long as you are still authoring your VCD correctly.
    I suggest you listen to what people say, it is obvious you don't spent enough time listing to other peoples comments, but rather fallow me around the forum trying to pick faults. Well I don't mind this, as while you are doing this to me you are leaving other people alone.

Stating "fully compliant" the other day sparked you into stating that TMPGEnc was not making them compliant, but you referred to the Chinese specifications, yet when challenged you gave no further reply. Especially when "All" VCD authoring programs except the files that TMPGEnc make with no problems.

"Fully Compliant" VCD's do not contain additional mpeg files, in fact they don't contain anything except what the VCD specification requires, nobody is talking about the structure of the mpeg. Anyone can make a mode 2 disk with data in track 1 and an mpeg in track 2 to play on a DVD player, the authoring program just makes it easier to do.

Adding additional data files is not recommended, I suggest that you read more posts and leave the documentation alone, as it is obvious you spend more time reading that actually doing any of these things.

I apologize to the original person for this flame, but this "Moderator" spends more time annoying people that doing anything usefull...
    Quote Quote  
  20. MikeV,

I can assure you that no VCD made by nero itself has an autorun.inf file
    and thus "autoruns" on anything.

If your daughter's WIN98 computer starts a vcd automatically then the vendor
    who sold you the computer installed a 3rd party application. Some
    such applications come with CDROM drives, some come with DVD
    software or soundcards. This is not autorun. Autorun is a Microsoft
    windows protocol which searches for and carries out scripted instructions
    when changecd is activated.

No standalone DVD player supports autorun.
    Quote Quote  
  21. When a player reads a disc, it doesn't "read" the filesystem per se. The filesystem on a VCD is for the benefit of PCs and CD-i players. Rather, it looks a predetermined bits on the VCD to find the PBC information (read the VCDImager manual). It doesn't then go hunting around the ISO filesystem and kills itself when it finds an MPEG file in track 1 (because if it did, you wouldn't be able to place MPEG video as segment-items then would you?).
    Nice to know you now agree with me (a few months ago you argued
    somewhat differently)

Unless your player is absolutely crazy, it will obey the information as given in the PBC preferentially and parse it as per a normal VCD.
    There is no preferential. PBC is either on,off or fixed on powerup. Fixed
    PBC DVD players cannot play vcd1.0. Others can play 1.0 or 2.0 with
    or without PBC.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by KingJohn
    Stating "fully compliant" the other day sparked you into stating that TMPGEnc was not making them compliant, but you referred to the Chinese specifications, yet when challenged you gave no further reply. Especially when "All" VCD authoring programs except the files that TMPGEnc make with no problems.
    What on earth are you talking about? How about a reference? TMPGEnc does not make fully compliant SVCD mpegs but I don't see any particular problem with its MPEG-1 streams...

"Fully Compliant" VCD's do not contain additional mpeg files, in fact they don't contain anything except what the VCD specification requires, nobody is talking about the structure of the mpeg. Anyone can make a mode 2 disk with data in track 1 and an mpeg in track 2 to play on a DVD player, the authoring program just makes it easier to do.
    Where did you get that quaint notion of "fully compliant"? I see that you obvious don't really know how a VCD is structured at all. Again, please read the VCDImager documentation. Data in track1 plus MPEG track in track2 is not a VCD.

Yes, nobody is taking about the structure of the mpeg (me included). I'm talking about the structure of a VCD which has a lot more than just the MPEG.

"Fully compliant" means that it must satisfy certain contraints. The standards ALLOW additional files to be placed in the ISO filesystem. As such, putting additional files in the filesystem as long as it is done correct is perfectly compliant.

Adding additional data files is not recommended, I suggest that you read more posts and leave the documentation alone, as it is obvious you spend more time reading that actually doing any of these things.
    Not recommended by who? You? I suggest that you take your own advice. I have been adding all sorts of files to VCD filesystems ever since the 0.7.x branch of VCDImager as have many other people. If done correctly, there are no problems at all.

I apologize to the original person for this flame, but this "Moderator" spends more time annoying people that doing anything usefull...
    I only correct those posts that are incorrect and I'm sorry KingJohn, but you often are.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by offline
    When a player reads a disc, it doesn't "read" the filesystem per se. The filesystem on a VCD is for the benefit of PCs and CD-i players. Rather, it looks a predetermined bits on the VCD to find the PBC information (read the VCDImager manual). It doesn't then go hunting around the ISO filesystem and kills itself when it finds an MPEG file in track 1 (because if it did, you wouldn't be able to place MPEG video as segment-items then would you?).
    Nice to know you now agree with me (a few months ago you argued
    somewhat differently)
    I don't think so. If you are talking about the "copy protected" VCD thread I suggest that you read through it again.

There is no preferential. PBC is either on,off or fixed on powerup. Fixed
    PBC DVD players cannot play vcd1.0. Others can play 1.0 or 2.0 with
    or without PBC.
    What I mean is that if the player finds a VCD, then it will play it as a VCD. It will first try to look for the PBC (unless you have hard turned it off) and failing that, play it in PBC-less mode. Only if it doesn't find a VCD, then some DVD players will look into the filesytem (for MP3s, MPEGs, JPEGs, etc.)

BTW, a VCD2.0 compliant player is supposed to be able to play both VCD1.0 and VCD1.1 discs.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I don't agree and never will, from now on I wont reply to your interference, as the original post gets rubbish like this, and is no help at all to the person to see this garbage.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't looked into microdvd or such, but I know that many people have had problems with win2k and winxp playing Dat files.
    Another problem is that all software players (except software dvd players) seem to rely on the system to play mpeg (and when MS is screwed up, the party's over).

By the way dat files ARE different enough from mpeg files to cause problems (compare sizes before and after conversion). They are not simply renamed or an mpeg with a different header. I think the sound is multiplexed a bit differently (but the bytestreams are essentally the same). Most computers don't have a problem, but it's not guaranteed to work in every computer. So it might or might not be in someone's best interest to have both the mpeg and the vcd-compliant video on the same disc.

Almost every VCD I've ever made has had extra files on it (notes, comments, supplementary files, etc). They always play, but I've only tested on a few players. Maybe I've been using more lenient players.

Since some NTSC dvd players also allow DVDs with mpeg sound (out of spec) then it's safe to assume that *IF* additional files make the vcd out of spec (the DVD spec doesn't care, so maybe VCD doesn't either -- I haven't seen info either way) then there could be a player that won't play the disc. There will be players that don't play VCDs at all too... so don't kill yourself for 100% compatibility. It's not possible. I personally wouldn't cater to crappy hardware - decade old computers, crappy dvd players, VCD-only players (unless you're sending these discs to Asia, you probably won't see one of those). Figure out where this is likely to be played and design the disc for that.

Side note about compliance (not to start a flame war, but...) there is a huge difference between 'not required' and 'not allowed'. If adding files does not break any of the specifications, then you are still 100% compliant. Not having seen the spec itself or even any rigidly compliant dvd players (most modern DVD players are more intelligent... and old ones often don't play cdr anyway) I can't give any absolutes, but specs aren't as important as playability.
    Quote Quote  
  26. The only garbage KingJohn, is that you post without any detailed knowledge about the subject.

You "recommend" not putting additional files on a VCD filesystem? Why? What is your justification?

In my experience of doing this and from comments of other people doing this, it causes absolutely no problems at all. Indeed, the VCD specs allow you to put additional files in the filesystem -- and this is a supported feature in numerous VCD authoring programs including VCDImager and its GUIs as well as Nero.

It is of no help to the original poster if you give them incorrect information.

You can put additional files (MPEG or otherwise) in the filesystem with safety and HOW to do it was already posted up this thread. As someone else has noted, it is a good idea to put any additional files in a separate folder to keep the root from being cluttered.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Update from earlier post:
    1. Checked Ulead Website, programs, and user manuals; re: Supplied software VCD/SVCD/DVD player app to support Autorun. Found out: There is none.
    2. Checked Nero program and manual for same thing. Found out:
    There is none.
    Deduction:
    Yes, you can add YOUR OWN autorun.inf, icon, readme.txt, other supporting files with these, including a Media Player application that YOU provide, but they don't supply one, certainly not as a menu/wizard checkbox.

MikeV:
    Read what I said earlier about Autorun on set-tops--some do, some don't. You happened to luck out with that Toshiba1200. On your computer, however, if you put in a nero vcd disc (specifically a disc that was authored solely from within Nero, and not a prebuilt disc image). It won't have an autorun.inf unless you wrote it and put it there, and it won't have a Nero supplied player app. I'm looking at 2 computers right now, one w/ 5.5.9.0 and another with 5.5.0.3. There is no Nero option for this. It has to be added by hand (mouse drag).

My guess is like what Offline said- your 'puter has already got something like the CreativeCD helper app. It sits in your systray and waits for a CD or DVD. If one shows up, it reads it-if it parses a DVD it'll send a play command to your default DVDPlayer app, if VCD it'll send a similar command to either your DVDPlayer app or a Roxio/Sony/Creative/Mediamatics VCDPlayer app or to your WMP. If its an AudioCD, it'll notify Win's AudioCD player, and if it's none-of-the-above and just a data disc, it'll leave it alone to do what is in the Autorun.inf. This sometimes screws up and if it's a VCD with an actual autorun, it'll try to do both it's thing and the thing in the autorun.inf. You usually get a hang then. I say this from experience.

Check out your disc this way...
    Turn autorun off.
    Put the disc in. Nothing should happen.
    Open the disc. Look for an autorun.inf
    Open the autorun.inf. Read what it says to do on the "open=" line (or "shellexecute").
    Close the autorun.inf. From the "RUN" command line, do what the autorun was supposed to do. Does it use an app that's on the disc or on your HD?
    Does it use a Custom VCDPlayer app or WMP and the like?
    Let us know what happens, I think we would all like a little more info on this.

Lula1:
    I can tell you that NT4 and Win2k do work with VCDs' .DAT files cuz I use those, as well as others, to test mine on. XP should be similar.
    Here's something you should try:
    To narrow down the problem, Play the .DAT files directly in the MCI MPLAYER--Start the app, do file open, search for the .DAT and play. If it can't play it here, it'll never play it. Mostly cuz you don't have all the drivers for MPEG1 playback on MCI. And since your mulitmedia dev system is based on MCI, you would have to find and add those drivers. Good luck, esp. if you are sending this out to customers. If it plays with the MCI MPLAYER, then you've just narrowed it down to your dev system. You could confirm this by using other dev apps to play MCI MPEG. Adobe Acrobat, and Director do.
    If all this is confusing, read this http://www.indezine.com/products/powerpoint/ppquicktime.html.
    It refers to PPT and Quicktime, but it gets to the heart of MM playback of MPEG, etc via MCI.

KingJohn:
    Lighten up. Oh, and I'm not trying to flame here, but I just read the docs for VCDImager, Nero, ECDC, WinOnCD, VCDToolkit, CDMotion, Videopak and there is nothing about ISO added files that makes the VCD non-compliant. As a matter of fact, if you can still dig up info from the old Query site (Mac-based VCD authoring), you will find that they specifically cite as one of their premium VCD features, the ability to add ROM files and do weblinks. And they were one of the most picky as far as compliance goes.

One last trick:
    You can do selectable (not burned in) subtitles on VCD (not SVCD) played on a PC, if you follow my example of using the .ASX in the autorun, and add a supplementary SAMI file!!! More to come...

Have fun.
    Scott

P.S.
    Do not use
    Code:
    [autorun]
    open=start mplayer blah blah blah
    cuz it should never run on NT4/Win2k/XP computers, cuz they treat the "Start" command differently. Also mplayer may not be in the usual place, and computers that are different will spit an error out at you.
    I know I'm trying to make my (S)VCD playback as universal as possible, so I avoid this by coding differently (see above)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I normally use VCDGear to turn my .dat files on VCD into .mpg files, which I can use in Nero and then add other .mpg video files and finally burn a VCD compliant disc. VCDGear doesn't appear to alter the original coding of the .dat video or alter it in anyway, it simply reverses things by turning it back into an mpeg again.

You can download VCDGear v3.07 for Windows 9X/NT/2k/XP from this link http://www.vcdgear.com/files/vcdgear307b15_gui.zip It's a free program too and very easy to understand and use. There are not many menus or buttons to learn.

This should be all you need.

Cheers,

Ego 8)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    KingJohn:
    Lighten up. Oh, and I'm not trying to flame here, but I just read the docs for VCDImager, Nero, ECDC, WinOnCD, VCDToolkit, CDMotion, Videopak and there is nothing about ISO added files that makes the VCD non-compliant.
    Hi well when you use the word "Fully compliant" it can mean several things, however I do know several people who were adding games to a VCD disk, short playback video trailer and a game, sever of the people they sold these to complained that the VCD did not play in the DVD player. Game, mpeg, what ever data... its not a normal disk.

When recommend things to people its always the basic structure, once they have got past that and can see it working, then find they can move on to many things. I wont recomend SVCD to someone just starting out, no will I use an frame change becuse it may make it jumpy if using a VCD template, but this people do it all the time, then people say "It wont play"

I told a fried about this forum, he came along and registered, ask one question and has not been back since. Some of the things that are recommended to newbie's is way too much.

As for the flames no.. I take no notice of them really, they are just a bunch of kids, they way I look at it is this, if one of my posts have helped someone, it makes up for the rubbish they turn out, with the large number of post I have made its bound to upset a few, buy huh.. who cares !!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi well when you use the word "Fully compliant" it can mean several things, however I do know several people who were adding games to a VCD disk, short playback video trailer and a game, sever of the people they sold these to complained that the VCD did not play in the DVD player. Game, mpeg, what ever data... its not a normal disk.
    Sorry, KJ but not correct.

The White book standards that describe the VideoCD format were
    made to, and comply with, the multimedia pc specifications part one, allowing for video, audio and win/mac applications to be included
    in the iso9660 track. The 1st commercial use of this came with the panasonic 562x series of 2x cdrom units which shipped with an
    optional multimedia encylopedia - simply a video cd with
    sound files and a catalog database of text with an executable.

Those "several people" you say had problems with their DVD player
    playing VCD's might have a DVD player that won't read VCD's - some
    don't. Anyway - this has nothing to do with your argument that extra
    files somehow make a non compliant video cd.

check your facts
    Quote Quote