VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have asked this group for this 3 times now and nobody wants to do it for some reason but I really think that it will help a lot of people who are using ffmpeg so I will post it one last time.

If anyone out there has successfully used ffmpeg to take a VOB from OSeX and converted it to a SVCD or VCD just using OSex and ffmpeg, can you please post what DVD it was and what the settings were on ffmpeg.

Then the rest of us can go buy that DVD and experiment. Right now we are all frustrated with the sync issue but is seems that there are some people that are having success. If we could all talk off of a comparison that would be great.

This way, if we know that the selected movie works under the specified settings we can deviate from those and see when and why the errors occur.

-S
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any takers ? Someone must have done this successfully.

-S
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i ripped super troopers from vob -> mov -> svcd. it was synced perfectly and looked pretty good, but my problem is it was just a little to large for cd-r, basically my error. im my experiences, you must use the second step of using mm2c to go from the vob u ripped -> mov. osex doesnt seem to work for me going dvd -> mov, even though there is an option for it. if u arent having success i suggest u just try this method.

1)rip- osex dvd -> vob
    -enable Program Streams or PS in (Fmt), Title in (Seg); deselect all subtitles, enable audio and video tracks #1, etc.

2)convert- mm2c (mac mpeg 2 converter) get it at:
    http://homepage.mac.com/linux/.cv/linux/Public/mm2c_v2a23.sit-link.sit
    highlight film name in mm2c, under Quicktime use these settings:
    compressor- Video, best quality
    frame rate- usually 23.98 (NTSC FILM) or once in awhile 29.97 (NTSC TV)
    key frame every: 999999
    i keep most other options in transform as default or made sure that they didnt mess with the results i want. it all depends on what u wanna do so u should be able to figure this out.
    convert!

3)a52decX to go from my original vob to mp3. i think i just added mp3 to mov, lol cant remeber. it will proly work whether audio is mp3 or aiff, not sure but just try mp3. lol sorry. once u get yer mp3 of whole movie, open in QT pro, select all, copy. now open the mov file from step 2. once mov is opened in QT pro, put cursor to start and add, dont add scaled. if its outta sync, first copy the video and add scaled to sole audio track. this should solve most sync issues. split your new mov w/ a & v in QT pro if making svcd large enough for 2 cd-rs and save the 2 giles as self contained.

4)now convert to svcd in ffmpegX. i use prest at bottom right of window for mov to svcd (NTSC), except i change framerate under video to NTSC FILM, and calc a bitrate based on film length. dont use the split feature in ffmpegx, its still alpha. just do one svcd encode for first half of mov u already split which will be svcd disk 1, then another for 2nd half making svcd disk 2.

5)you can now burn your svcd. you should have 2 .img files for each chunk after ffmpegx finishes then burn them in toast under other, multitrack XA. burn the second disk same way if u needed to split original mov for 2 svcds.

this isnt too bad of a process and seems to be pretty accurate. if u dont have access to or cant find all the programs, just wait a few weeks untill ffmpegx can go directly form vob ->svcd!
    good luck!
    by the way sqeed, have u succesfully used osex to go straight from dvd -> quicktime mov? has anyone ever even does this? it just creates an unreadable QT file on mine...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the example, I am going to try it. I'll let you know. On the OSex VOB to MOV it is only enabled for "Sub Angles" right now. So if you are trying to take the movie from VOB "Title Track" to MOV it won't work. The next release is supposed to support Title Track to MOV.

-S
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thats what i figured, sumthin like that. but im sure it will be sooner that the new ffmpegx will be released which supports vob -> mpeg2 svcd! and thats an easier, shorter process, that i cant wait to try out! now if someone could just help me out with my problem in my other thread about estimating output size before svcd encode...
    where has major been lately, we need his help! hes usally responding within hours, its almost been days...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully he is coding the next release of ffMpeg !!

-S
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but the whole process of going dvd->mov->(s)vcd takes up WAY too much space, its kind of ridiculous. there has to be another way to do dvd->vcd or svcd just using mediapipe and osex, i've tried converting the m2v file to an svcd compliant one but run into a lot of video/audio sync problems. hopefully someone has done this method without converting to quicktime movie during part of it, if so share the knowledge!
    Quote Quote  
  8. yes, 0.0.4 with direct VOB->mpeg-2 SVCD is almost ready.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tolly,

Your example above does not work. "Add Scaled" really messes up everything. It either makes the audio slow down so that everyone has a deep voice or it makes the video jitter.

-S
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what movie did u use? did u try adding the video to the audio, both adding and adding scaled? well maybe i just got lucky, because i dont think i needed to add scaled or anything, my video and audio were same duration so i just added (not scaled) the audio to video. well if trying the two options of adding and adding scaled didnt work for both adding a->v and v->a, mess with the movie in QT mutator.
    Quote Quote