VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DivX / AVI

Read here first http://www.vcdhelp.com/play#divx

I can't play AVI in Media Player?
    Be sure to install the latest DivX codec. If that not help install the Gordian Knot Codec Pack or/and the ffdshow that includes most avi codecs. If it still doesn't work use gpost to identify what codecs it uses and then download them.

The movie is up side down?
    If the movie plays upsidedown first try remove every DivX codecs including the Nimo Codec Pack and then reinstall only the main DivX codec first and test.

VCD

Read here first http://www.vcdhelp.com/play#vcd

SVCD

Read here first http://www.vcdhelp.com/play#svcd

I can't play SVCD in Media Player?
    Install a MPEG2 codec like PowerDVD, WinDVD and you should be able to play SVCD in media player.

DVD

Read here first http://www.vcdhelp.com/play#dvd

How do I play a ripped DVD?
    Use latest PowerDVD and select play DVD from hard disc drive and select the folder you ripped the dvd to.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 28th Jul 2014 at 05:16.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can play the video files off an SVCD using videolan, www.videolan.org - in much the same way that you can play the files off a VCD with Windows Media Player. This doesn't let you use the chapters, menus, etc - but you can see the video and hear the audio.

In both cases, you more or less use the file menu, play a file, navigate to the (S)VCD, look for the MPEGAV folder, make sure you're showing all files - the video files have DAT extensions. The reason you need 2 different players is that they are actually encoded using different standards - VCDs have MPEG1 video, SVCDs have MPEG2 video. There are many free MPEG1 video players, but not many free MPEG2 video players.

One reason I like videolan is that it doesn't mess with your drivers, and of course that it's free. It's available for all OS platforms.

It takes a fair amount of computer power to play DVDs/SVCDs/MPEG2 video, so if you have an older computer, you may see stalls, skips, etc.

If that doesn't work for you, you might want to check your ASPI layer - run the aspichk.exe program at the link below.

ASPI FAQ Link - Bart's ASPI Page
    http://www.nu2.nu/aspi/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Question: When I burn a DivX/XviD file onto a DVD and play in my standalone player it looks great filling my entire TV, but when I play it in Media PLayer on my computer and go full screen it looks "blown up". Is there anything I can do? I'm thinking of building an entertainment PC for my living room, but not if the videos will look "blown up" on my TV. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be sure to install the latest DivX codec. If that not help install the Gordian Knot Codec Pack or/and the ffdshow that includes most avi codecs. If it still doesn't work use gpost to identify what codecs it uses and then download them.
    I think Baldrick was actually refering to gspot rather then gpost.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are thousands of answers to this question, but here are some basic
    troubleshooting steps to help you track down problems such as jerky
    playback.

1) Get updated drivers. Driver bugs are the biggest cause of playback
    problems, ranging from freezes to bogus error messages about regions.
    2) Make sure you have the latest decoder drivers as
    well as the latest drivers for your graphics adapter and DVD-ROM
    drive.
    3) Make sure DMA is turned on. For Windows, go into the System Properties
    Device Manager, choose CD-ROM, open the CD/DVD driver properties,
    choose the Settings tab, and make sure the DMA box is checked.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why can't I get any sound out from windows media player when I play ANY dvd but power dvd does?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It is helpful , thanks a lot .
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    This is the stickied FAQ started by a moderator, so... Any chance this will get updated on how to deal with common problems with playing Blu-ray? There seems to be a lot of problems and obstacles the average Joe will run into - obstacles to overcome and stuff to learn - just to get a Blu-ray movie to play in a Blu-ray drive. And there seems to be a shortage of solutions and advice that can keep up with how fast the industry changes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For bluray I recommend tmt or powerdvd. No free solution supports bluray menus and all bluray movies.

And unsticking it. I wouldnt recommend any codec pack...
    Quote Quote