VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. For lack of not finding my topic discussed anywhere else, I'll post it here (also, since I'm new here).

I have been very successful in converting my MPEGs into VCDs and SVCDs. Except I have now encountered a problem I have no solution for.

Situation: I have an MPEG - video is fine, audio is fine.
    I use TMPEG to encode to VCD format. Settings are the same as I have used when I encoded other MPEGs.

Problem: After encoding, video is fine, audio is CRAP!!! It's not out of sync, just sounds like garbage. I used V-DUB to grab the audio from the MPEG before encoding. Audio sounds great. Then use TMPEG to combine the video and audio. Again, video is fine, audio is CRAP!!!

Am I missing something? Maybe I need to change a setting?
    Quote Quote  
  2. what audio format were ur audio in? ie in khz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, here's the audio data:

In both instances (both using TMPEG only and using V-DUB to do it)

sampling freq: 44100 Hz
    mode: Stereo
    Bit rate: 224 Kbits/s

And if I remember correctly (which I may not), it's the same as the other MPEGs I encoded, which plays fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. sorry if I confused u,
    I meant the sound of the original input.

cos unless ur input sound is 44.1k the resulting sound from tmpgenc is harsh/tinny/metallic.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry about that.

Source is 44.1K, but it does sound metallic. What other software could I use to verify the audio info? I used V-Dub to check.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use flaskmpeg to check the format

usually I use scmpx as an external plugin to resample my sound since most of my avi is not in 44.1k. u think thats tinny, u should try converting 22k sound without an external resampler, is just god damn awful
    Quote Quote  
  7. LOL!!!

Thanks alot. I'll recheck the source audio, soon.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Let me go ahead and ask this now.

If the source does happen to be 44.1K, any other ideas as to what the problem could be?
    Quote Quote  
  9. tmpgenc is just shitty to convert audio..

check this thread out, it might have your solution as well
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=47824&forum=10&8

check Adam's posts and see if they help.

Quote Quote  
  10. u could always use an external encoder, ie like scmp
    Quote Quote