VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have not been able to find an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 real time CODEC. I was wondering if anyone knows of good ones. I know it must be possible to do since the Win-VCR program creates real time MPEG-1 files on a Pentium 300 and has an option for doing MPEG-2.

Also, is the video quality of MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 superior to that of MPEG-4 formats?

Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I go for quality and anything that encodes in realtime cannot use multipass and you would need a hell of alot more than 300 mhz for good quality.
    I have 1200 mhz t-bird and I'm still far from realtime in rempeg or tmpegenc.

I suggest capture to some lossless format and reencode and take the time it takes!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello Brutal,

When archiving home videos and such that is exactly what I do, but the purpose for wanting the real time MPEG is for building a digital video recorder. This would mean if I recorded 2 hours of video a day, the machine would be inaccessible for recording more for 4 or more hours a day while it encoded.

Quote Quote