VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to do a 1:1 from a DVD-R -> DVD+R? Like, if I had a DVD-R disc in one cd drive and a blank +R Disc in the other, could I do a 1:1 copy a la CD-R? And also, would it work vice versa? However, im sure if it worked one way it would work another.

Oh, and one last question. -RAM drives burn -RW right? Or am I mistaken?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nope.

DVD uses CSS and therefore a direct 1:1 copy is impossible.

Second most DVD's are 9.4 gigs and DVD-R and DVD+R are only 4.9 gigs.

No, I don't know of any -Ram burners that burn -RW. Some -RAM burners burn -r.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Greg,
    Thanks for your reply. However, I know that I cant copy 1:1 from a commercial DVD. I want to know if I can copy 1:1 from a 4.7G DVD-R to a 4.7G DVD+R. Sorry for the confusion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'd give a 99.99% "yes" answer. The .01% is because I haven't actually done it...yet.

A few months back, CircuitCity had a sale on DVD-Rs, $10 with a $10 rebate. Even though I didn't have a burner at the time, I bought one anyway, since it was virtually free (well, tax was about 83cents, and the 32cent stamp), because I knew I would be getting a burner sooner or later. A friend at work who actually did have a DVD-R/RW drive also bought one.

Since then I have purcased a Ricoh MP5125A, DVD+R/RW drive. This DVD will not work with my new drive.

I have just completed authoring my first DVD+R for distribution to my family (my daughter's first year). My friend said that he would copy my video to the DVD-R for me, so that I can use it for this purpose.

Last night, he tried to read a DVD+R I gave him in his A03, but it had a terrible time. He could barely read it, but it must have been re-trying a lot, because he got an extremely low data rate, and the noise his DVD burner was making made him eventually stop for fear of ruining the drive.

Tomorrow I will bring in a DVD+RW, which his drive may be able to read. If he can, he will be able to copy the DVD+R(W) to a DVD-R.

I'm pretty certain that if he can actually read the DVD+R(W), he can then copy the contents to the DVD-R. But since we haven't actually succeeded yet, I can't be 100% sure. I'll keep you posted.

Xesdeeni
    Quote Quote  
  5. I promised to follow-up on this. The problem is that the A04 apparently can't read either the DVD+RW or the DVD+R discs. I'm sure that if it could, my friend could copy the contents to a DVD-R. But he doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive, so I'm out-of-luck. But hey, my friend got a free DVD-R (since I can't use it, I let him have it).

Xesdeeni
    Quote Quote  
  6. Swollen Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Greg12
    No, I don't know of any -Ram burners that burn -RW. Some -RAM burners burn -r.
    There's a Hitachi one (DVD-RAM/-RW/-R) that only seems to exist in Japan. The Panasonic LF-D521 burns all three as well, but isn't out until October.

Is it possible to do a 1:1 from a DVD-R -> DVD+R? Like, if I had a DVD-R disc in one cd drive and a blank +R Disc in the other, could I do a 1:1 copy a la CD-R? And also, would it work vice versa? However, im sure if it worked one way it would work another.
    Should work fine, assuming the reader can read DVD-R (or +R if you're doing the reverse). Nero doesn't care what kind of disc it is. It just copies the data on it.

I haven't done this specifically since I don't have a +R drive, but I've done DVD-R --> DVD-RAM exact copies, with the DVD-R in a DVD-ROM drive and the DVD-RAM in the burner. I've also done the reverse, although that was with the same drive, using a Nero .nrg image file as an intermediate step.
    Quote Quote