VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering, does anyone elses PC always crash on boot up (or every other/3rd time) after using TMPGenc?

I downloaded TMPGenc and Nero Burning ROM 5.5 and after than my PC crashed on Boot up about every 3rd boot.

I run an Athlon 1.3gig, 256, 133mhx RAM and a 25gb Hard Drive, Win 98....So it shouldn't crash due to that....

Then again it could have been Nero...but I doubt that as it's one of the top peices of Software. But maybe...

Anyway, anyone have similar problems?
    Quote Quote  
  2. BEGIN QUOTE
    I run an Athlon 1.3gig, 256, 133mhx RAM and a 25gb Hard Drive, Win 98....So it shouldn't crash due to that....
    END QUOTE

Hmmm...interesting. Maybe you'll find the reason for your system crashes here . If your system crashes without touching Nero or TMPGEnc, then it's more likely that your system needs proper configuration or maybe driver updates. A complete computer configuration is a lot of devices and software that have to work with each other. The more devices (scanners, printers, soundcards, capture cards, network interfaces etc.) the more possible causes for failure.

Before blaming Nero or TMPGEnc make sure that your system is 100% stable. Did you overclock your processor? Are there any I/O address or IRQ conflicts? Modern motherboards rely on IRQ sharing of PCI slots. Not all drivers handle this feature properly so you may have to reseat a PCI card into a slot that has it's own IRQ.
    It's even better to test your system with only Windows 98 installed and no other software. Run it for a couple of days and see if it's stable. If it's not fix it by updating drivers or check how the resources are used. When it's stable add your software one package at a time.

Good luck hunting down the causes of instability.
    Regards,

Willem
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try running Prime95 (or any other software that puts a load on the CPU). If it can run Prime95 for 24 hrs, then yes, it MIGHT be TMPG that's crashing... although it runs fine on many other AMD CPU's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just out of curiosity...since you downloaded Nero, might you have Adaptec already installed on your computer? Maybe Adaptec came with your burner? If so, this could cause conflicts. I used to get the blue screen of death when I had both installed. They don't play well together!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'got some problems too...
    I have a duron 700 (not overclocked) to a QDI kinetiz 7B motherboard. I use the onboard chip for sound...
    When tmpeg finish encoding, and I want to move to a directory, my system crash. Expecially to the new tmpeg versions... (1e, 1g, 1h...)
    After 5-6 chrashes, the legacy on board sound chip stop working! I need format C: and reinstall w98SE to make it work again!

No problems at all with w2K!
    But, there are problems there with dvd2avi. The d2v and mpp files sometimes not recornized by tmpeg! The same files are working if tmpeg is on w98se!
    I test the system 4-5 times. Everytime the same story with w98se
    1. crashes after encoding
    2. 4-5 days later: audio loss!
    3. system needs format
    I have the lates drivers for everything. Those problems appears after tmpeg start encoding....
    Nero has to do nothing with it!

To many times to be simply (un)Luck!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, that's really weird. It might be your hardware. TMPG does put quite a load on the CPU. Hard to say... puny RAM? IRQ conflicts? software conflicts?

If you're reformatting all the time, I'd just do a fresh install with JUST TMPG on and see if the same problems occur.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It sure is a hardware problem!
    It must be the graphic card I believe... An ancient martrox productiva 100!!!
    Or that ancient Win TV cinema pro. ISA, crappy, etc...
    Need a couple of upgrades to do...
    Also, I discover that if I set tmpeg's priority to "indie" is much better than "normal" or "High"
    I have 128/133 Ram, and the problem ain't there too...
    Quote Quote