VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi chuck,

firstly, there is no alternative to DVD Maestro....for this tutorial.

there are other programs that do dvd authoring and burning but all the programs here eg DVD Decryptors Chapter list file, Subrips output format, etc are Maestro specific. So keep looking.

secondly, if you have the vob files (doesnt matter how many) and the ifo file that relates to them, which you apparently do, all you need to do is drag all these files into the VIDEO_TS folder of a new NERO DVD-Video session, and burn. You dont have to use IFOEdit at all...again its a fortunate thing. I recommend burning to a DVD-RW first and checking it indeed is the correct ifo and vob files that relate to each other directly. It cant be any old ifo file from another DVD....

Finally, option 2 and 3 of my tutorial are basically the same other than for the re-processing of the video file to make it smaller for option 3. If you learn how to do this general method then you can just go straight to it for any DVD9 Dual layer DVDs you want to burn. Then its just whether you encode the video or not in addition.

If you want to use IFOEdit, that will make for THREE SEPARATE TECHNIQUES for the 3 Options. More confusing. IFOEdit only really works for Option 2. Basically it confuses the whole process. Very few ppl have been able to use IFOEdit for Option 3 sucessfully, where the video is re-encoded, as its a lot of detailed hakking. If you want to scroll thru pages of cryptical hex codes in IfoEdit , then its up to you. I would rather create clean ifo and vob files...instead of trying to use the old ones with the potential to cause a crash of the DVD if you left a dead menu link up from an outtake you didnt copy, etc etc.

blackout
    Quote Quote  
  2. secondly, if you have the vob files (doesnt matter how many) and the ifo file that relates to them, which you apparently do, all you need to do is drag all these files into the VIDEO_TS folder of a new NERO DVD-Video session, and burn. You dont have to use IFOEdit at all...again its a fortunate thing.
    The VIDEO_TS.IFO file is the first file a DVD player tries to read, as it lists the sector start location of the VTS.xx.xx.IFO files. As far as I can tell, a DVD will not play without a correct VIDEO_TS.IFO.

The most basic DVD should have at least these 5 files:

VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO, VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB

Not only is the VIDEO_TS.IFO required, but I also think that the first title set must be 1 (i.e. VTS_01_x).
    Quote Quote  
  3. OH BOY!
    more i read these guides the more confusing it is.
    I can do dvd>dvdr np but i dislike the spruce menu's i create.
    Can one of u guys explain how to do a dvd thats under 4.3gig that lets me keep the 5.1 Audio and keeping the original menu.
    I have read and read, more i read the worse it gets.
    On trying to do The Italian Job atm m2v + ac3 comes to 3.70G.
    If anyone can explain this in ENGLISH Plz ty
    Quote Quote  
  4. DaChip34,

Read thru the How-To Guide's at Derrow's site - http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/index.htm

They describe how to fairly easily do that with IFOEDIT. In particular, you should look at this one : http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/menuidiot.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Enemy,
    your 14 step tutorial rule, but for step 7 I have question
    7). Check off the audio and subtitle stream you want. Click "Strip It".
    Where and how I can choose wanted subs, or without subs?
    Can I make menu is some program?

N
    Quote Quote  
  6. Where and how I can choose wanted subs, or without subs?
    If you want a subtitle, then just select one in the windows that pops up in step 7. If you don't want a subtitle, then uncheck it. That tutorial describes how you would create a simple no menu DVD to play the main movie only.

Can I make menu is some program?
    If you want to create a menu, then you will need to use authoring software. You will need to demux the video, audio, and subtitles from the stripped VOB's and re-author the DVD. That's a different process and beyond the scope of that simple tutorial.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I figured it to be the most difficult solution, but i shouldn't be assuming anything as i haven't done a succesful burn as of yet. Okay, i did the ifoedit thing and made the new ifo file but ifoedit's player will not play the dvd nor powerdvd. Provided i get the right ifo file then i would just burn the root directory: VIDEO_TS to my dvd-r as a data file?
    Quote Quote  
  8. chuck905,

Read thru the How-To Guide's at Derrow's site - http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/index.htm

They describe how to fairly easily do that with IFOEDIT. In particular, you should look at this one : http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/createifo.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Okay, I'm about to burn dvd-r. Seems like I am asking the same question but here goes. (sorry) I have the original ifo file that dvd decrypter gave me and i also made a new one with ifo edit. Which one should I use? Neither works with powerdvd to start the movie playing. (the ifo file on the original dvd does start the movie)

Basically what i want to know is ifo neccessary for the burn. The movie, (snatch) is under 4.7 gigs and i didn't need to encode anything.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you have the original disc, then you don't need to re-create the .ifo's as you already have the originals. Just use DVD Decrypter to extract the ENTIRE disc. Make sure you are in file mode and select everything. If it's under 4.3GB, then all you need to do is open the VIDEO_TS.IFO in IFOEDIT and click "Get VTS Sectors". Then you are good to burn.

If the entire disc > 4.3GB, then follow the tutorial to strip out the extra stuff (you will lose the menu and all the extra features). If the newly stripped files are still > 4.3GB, then you will need to transcode

Also, for testing the movie in your software DVD player, make sure that the directory with all the files is called "VIDEO_TS". You should be able to open the "VIDEO_TS.IFO" file and it will play the movie. If it doesn't play the movie, then something isn't right and it probably won't play in your standalone either...so don't burn until you get the problem fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Oh man I hate not knowing how to do stuff.

I've only been able to rip a dvd once before, and I just took the first chapter of a movie without the audio.

Anyways other times I get stressed and give up. Every time I see "How To" guides there are people who tear them up saying they dont work.

So are there any guides that show just how to rip the movie and put it on dvd-r without encoding it, guides that is that arent torn up by the public.

Maybe my question is dumb, but I would love to just find a simple way to rip a dvd without having to spend hours messing with junk.

Sorry for the people out there who know this stuff and get fed up with newbies like me.
    "Sleep-
    Those little slices of Death;
    How I loath them."
    Quote Quote  
  12. The DVD DeCryptor worked for me on a backup of a 4.3 gb movie with my Vivastar RS-111. However, I'm not sure if this software can remove region coding (which is what I would like). Unfortunately, I have not been able to unlock all of my DVD's files using Smartripper with this burner (Smartripper would remove region coding).

Does anyone know if DVD DeCryptor is capable of removing the region?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EnemyWithin: Thanks for the IFOEDIT links and tips, I just used it for the first time and it worked well.

Overview:
    I ripped an entire DVD to disk, then used IFOEDIT (following most of the instructions in this topic) to save the full screen version to new VOBs *without* creating new IFOs. I then moved all the extras and title VOBs and related files to the folder with new movie VOBs. Next I opened the VIDEO_TS.IFO and did a "Get VTS Sectors".

This gave me a complete copy minus the wide-screen version. I tested it both on PowerDVD and my standalone and everything works (except for WS of course) - main intro, title menu, chapter selection and both extra clips.
    Quote Quote  
  14. subclubkid,

So are there any guides that show just how to rip the movie and put it on dvd-r without encoding it, guides that is that arent torn up by the public.
    If it were that easy, don't you think we would all be doing it that way? There are many different ways to accomplish the same thing, you just have to choose the method that you like best.

If you read Blackout's guide, he clearly points out the 3 main situations thta you will face when backing up a DVD.

There are 3 options, if you have:

1:/ An original DVD that is Single Layer
    2:/ An original DVD that is Dual Layer but the actual movie is small enough to fit directly into a 4.3GB DVD-R. (ie the DVD is full of extras that you can lose)
    3:/ An original DVD that is Dual Layer and the actual movie is NOT small enough to fit directly onto 4.3Gb.
    Now you just have to figure out which option fits the DVD you are backing up and choose the best method (for you) to do it.

There is no perfect/simple way to do this...yet.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Blackout,
    I tried your number 3 route on Amelie which is ~6gigs in length. Everything works according to your steps except the subrip part. The subrip program is able to rip the bmps and all but Maestro refuses to take the *.son file created by it. In the end I had to use Doom9's tutorial on subripping for maestro at www.doom9.org/mpg/maestro.htm and use the subadjust and MaestroSBT programs to make a .son fle Maestro would read. My Maestro version is 2.9x by the way. Just thought id post if anyone else was having similar probs
    Quote Quote  
  16. Another tip after i wasted an hour wondering why my subtitles were not showing up in the completed maestro generated movie. turns out you have to load a certain file in the maestro subtitle editor so it corrects the color palette and the subtitles dont appear black on a black background.
    copy and paste below

Something you will need to pay special attention to is a file you may not know about. When you first import your subtitle file and check them, you will see the colors are not what you set in SubRip. SubRip created a new pallete file for you to correct this. In Maestro's subtitle editor, click "Edit Pallete..." then click the "Load" button. You will see an additional file that SubRip created that is *.spf. Load this up and your colors will be correct now.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Can I keep the extra, deleted scenes, etc. of the copied dvd if I use ReMPEG2 to skrink the original movie.
    Quote Quote  
  18. i like very much the guide from blackout, i am quite new at this exercise and i have some questions on method 2.
    Why 2 dvd decrypter extractions ?
    1 with stream processing and demux give 2 files audio ac3 and m2v which seems enough for dvdmaestrro.
    Why is dv2avi necessary?
    thanks for clarification
    frank
    Quote Quote  
  19. hi ,

fedmond...hm...The reason why i have suggested two rips is because its necessary to have the VOB's to do the subripping step, and the dvd2avi AC3 rip step, but i just did a few more tests with DVD Decrypter. If you set the stream to Demux and select the AC3, the video and the Subtitle stream, DVDDecrypter still makes a .VOB also but it only contains the subtitle stream, which will still work with SubRip. And you can avoid DVD2AVI all together as you also have the AC3 audio (tho im yet to find out if it is delay-compensated like what DVD2AVI displays). So youre right, you really can do all the steps without a second extraction. Wow DVD Decrypter is an amazing program...ill update my tutorial.

ymee, i mentioned the step about changing the pallette colors for subtitles clearly in my Maestro short tutorial. Just to re-iterate, when importing subtitles you need to import the .son file into maestro from Subrip, as well as the pallete file that Subrip has created for Maestro. Thats 2 files to import into Maestro to get subtitles working properly. Read the tutorial on how and where to import this second file.

Also it is VERY easy to determine whether you want Option 1, 2 or 3.

When you load up DVD Decrypter, if you put it into ISO mode it will tell you if the DVD is single or Dual layer. ie. you know if its Option 1 or not.

If its a dual layer and you are then extracting your main VOB file, it tells you the size of the VOB. If the VOB of the main movie is over 4.7Gig, then youre going to have to be using Option 3. Otherwise, youre on Option 2.

Blackout.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Ok I'm having some probs... I need to use Option 3.. Here is my situation..

The DVD I want to rip is a DVD9. However it's not a movie.. It's a music video DVD.. It has no menus and no subtitles.. You put it in and it just plays instantly for 2hrs 24mins.. It's NTSC 4:3 Interlaced and 29.97 fps. and the audio is PCM 2 channel.

So obvously I need to reencode the video down so I can fit it on a DVD-R. The problem I have is all the guides seem to talk about movies which are generally 16:9 and have AC3 audio etc.. When I tried loading the .m2v file into Maestro it wouldn't load into it saying something about not acceptable framerate.. So I used the pulldown.exe file I read about on doom9 and then it accepted it but it said it was 1hr something now even though when I played it in WMP it showed the right time.. So when I burned it to a DVD-RW to test the audio was off from the video.. Also the video was screwy looking with some kind of flickering.. I'm used CCE for the encoding.. I could try TMPGENC but it will take like 25hrs or something..

This should be an easy rip because it's just audio and video but it's proving hard for me.. Can anyone give any advice?

Much appreciated if you can...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear EnemyWithin:

I am a newbie and your screen shots were very helpful. I have one step that has me stumped.

On your VOB Extras Option, your destination directory is:

W:\COLLATERAL_DAMAGE\VIDEO_TS

Does that create a ghost image? I have tried saving to a file on C or D drives (I have 2 hard drives) and when I Strip It on the Stream List, it says the file does not exist although I created it beforehand. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to do a W:\ file so it will ghost?

Thanks

LynnsABCs
    Quote Quote  
  22. LynnsABCs,

You need to have a destination DIRECTORY, not FILE. This is not creating an image (it has nothing to do with Norton's Ghost program). All you need to do is specify a valid, existing folder for IFOEDIT to output the newly stripped files to...that's it

It can be on any drive that has enough space. The folder can be called anything you like. The only stipulation is that it has to exist.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EnemyWithin:

I'm not sure what a destination Directory is. Do you mean by an existing folder, like my documents on C:\drive?

Sorry to be so dense and thanks for your help!

LynnsABCs
    Quote Quote  
  24. LynnsABCs,

Do you know how to make a new folder? This tutorial assumes you know at least the basics of operating your computer. Go buy one of the Windows for Dummies books or something similar to teach you how to do basic computer stuff. Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EnemyWithin:

So it sounds like I created a new file instead of a new folder. I know how to create a folder and will re-try it and perhaps waste another night trying to get this to work. I had hoped someone who had gone to all the trouble of printing off screen prints of a working method would help me thru this.

That still doesn't explain to me how your example works with the destination directory as W? What is W?

BTW, thanks for your kind suggestion buying a Dummies Book. Perhaps sometime in the future when you are seeking help about a new topic you are unfamilar with and someone who already knows how to do it will just help you bu answering a simple question instead of giving a sarcastic answer!

LynnsABCs
    Quote Quote  
  26. EnemyWithin ... Thanks for the post!

I have successfully ripped a movie and see the appropriate files. I am able to open the .IFO file (called VTS_01_0.IFO in my case). After selecting the appropriate line, clicking on VOB Extras, etc., etc., I receive the following error when clicking 'Strip It' on the last step:

'Error opening c:\movie_name_here\video_ts\video_ts.ifo. Seems it doesn't exist!'

I've attempted to rename my VTS_01_0.IFO to VIDEO_TS.IFO but that doesn't seem to work Any thoughts would be appreciated ... Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Platoon13r:

You have the same problem I had, I think. You need to go to your desktop before you begin the process, right click your mouse and create a new FOLDER calling it movie or whatever you want.

When you do the VOB Extras step the file to write to in the bottom of the screen is the new FOLDER you created. When the software runs and does it's thing it transfers the files from one folder to the other. When it finishes you will find the files you want in the new folder.

I managed to finish an entire movie late last night and the finished product ready to burn was too big for one disk and it started out a little more than 2 meg. I had selected all files in the Decoder step instead of just the files the software said it needed. Will retry tonight.

Plaltoon13r, I hope the above helps and it works for you the next time you try it.

LynnsABCs
    Quote Quote  
  28. I discovered the issue ... I simply needed to select File and grab all
    Quote Quote  
  29. Lynnsabcs,

You posted:
    So it sounds like I created a new file instead of a new folder. I know how to create a folder and will re-try it and perhaps waste another night trying to get this to work.
    I had already posted this:
    You need to have a destination DIRECTORY, not FILE.
    It seems that I had already told you that you needed to create a folder and not a file. Maybe you aren't aware that a directory and a folder are one and the same.

You posted:
    That still doesn't explain to me how your example works with the destination directory as W? What is W?
    I had already posted this:
    It can be on any drive that has enough space.
    W: is the DRIVE, not the folder. It seems that you don't understand the basic syntax of a file/folder path.

You posted:
    BTW, thanks for your kind suggestion buying a Dummies Book. Perhaps sometime in the future when you are seeking help about a new topic you are unfamilar with and someone who already knows how to do it will just help you bu answering a simple question instead of giving a sarcastic answer!
    BECAUSE I posted this:
    Do you know how to make a new folder? This tutorial assumes you know at least the basics of operating your computer. Go buy one of the Windows for Dummies books or something similar to teach you how to do basic computer stuff. Good luck
    I'm sorry that you are offended that I suggest a Windows for Dummies book. I have read a couple of Dummies books in my time, as they are good, simple starting points to learn the basics of a topic. Since you didn't seem to understand the difference between drives, folders, and files, I thought you might benefit from reading a simple, basic book on the subject.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all, as denoted by the smiley face at the end. It is difficult to express emotions over the Internet, so try to be optimistic when reading people's replies.

I had hoped someone who had gone to all the trouble of printing off screen prints of a working method would help me thru this.
    Also, I don't remember reading anywhere in the forum sign-up that I HAD to help people. I do it because I like to give back a little of what I have learned from other, more knowledgeable people. If someone asks me a question that I feel isn't on topic ("I'm not sure what a destination Directory is."), then I will redirect them somewhere else, as is my prerogative.

I don't want to spend MY time teaching computer basics, when the topic at hand is stripping a DVD with IFOEDIT.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm having a problem with Ifoedit:
    IFO give me an error opening Video_ts.ifo (doesn't seem to exist) in step 8.

Message : "Error opening Video_ts.ifo Seems it doesn't exist!"

Can anybody explain to me what am i doing wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Quote