VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been at using ffMpeg for 1.5 months. Started with 0.0.2 and am now using 0.0.3. I know there are others out there who have had success but from my standpoint, it just doesn't work.

I have tried every preset. I have gone through every combination of settings for audio and video. I still can not get the audio and video in sync.

VLC client plays the ripped DVD VOB in prefect sync. When ffMpeg converts the VOB into a .MPG file it is immediately out of sync.

I have posted before and major has tried to help me but we have not had any success. I am even up for some out of the box type ideas like maybe my hard drive needs to be defragged, I know that is an issue on the PC side.

QT doesn't play ffMpeg MPEG-1 files smoothly either and neither does VLC client. They are choppy.

Since VLC plays the ripped VOB perfectly I know the problem must be somewhere in ffMpeg.

Does anyone have any ideas ?

-S
    Quote Quote  
  2. What Kind of machine are you using? I've had similair problems on my white dual usb ibook. I have just tried my first rip using the latest version. As usual I set my sampling rates, both audio and video, to the rates shown in ffmpeg for the source. I also cannot get the mpleg file to play smoothly or at all. To see if it would work when burned to a VCD, I burned it and played it on the DVD player. The video would have a hiccup like pause every 7 to 10 secs; and the audio was way out of sync. I also had the interestin error message while creating the VCD with VCD builder, the the audio was sampled at 48,000 hz, and should be at 41,000.

So how are people getting this to work? I've downloaded VCD and SVCD files off of several newsgroups. All of these downloaded files play smoothly in VLC. So what is the issue? Why do the mpg file I create with ffmpeg not play smoothly, and why are they not in av sync/

R
    RandolphK
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would say that the "hiccup" is because your bit rate is set too high. Try 1,500 for VCD. Any less will look bad. Also, try hitting pause and play again on your DVD player. That sometimes fixes a "temporary" unsynced problem.

I have a G4 450. I don't know the answer to the synch problems. I have been trying to make a VCD from a DVD since Nov 2001. Lets just say that I have made several hundred coasters.

I thought that ffMpeg was the answer and it is 1/2 of it. Once you get your bit rate settings down the video that it creates looks beautiful. It is the audio that is the problem.

I don't know the answer, I am hoping that someone can help.

-S
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have any suggestions ?

-S
    Quote Quote  
  5. I had this same problem, and oh was I feeling stupid when I figured it out. My ripped file from dvd SAID it was at 29.97, but in reality it was really playing at 23.97. After a few tries with several different movies I knew for sure this was the case. Bad frame rate... Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Speedracer, can you name a few DVD movies that you have had success on and tell me what the settings were on ffMpeg. I will try and duplicate it on my MAC.

Also tell me your OSEx settings.

Thanks

-S
    Quote Quote  
  7. Not a solution but the same problem.
    When I create a VCD from a VOB in FFMPEGX using the "Quick Presets" the audio skips ?
    I got an error message while encoding that said audio was at 48 and should be 44.1, so I tried that but it has the same effect.

I used the presets bitrate of 1150 for video and the audio bitrate was 224

The VCD works in my player but audio sucks.

ANyone have any ideas or info on how to create a VCD without using FFMPEGX ?

thanx
    Quote Quote  
  8. I forgot to say I created a .BIN file and burned that using Toast to make the VCD.

If it makes a difference ?

Quote Quote  
  9. I found this on VCDhelp

New Improved Easy Mac DVD->VCD
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/userguides/88944.php

Sorry for multiple posts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, until the problems with sync and everything else is cleared up I'll still use my method.
    Quote Quote