VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    I have a question for anyone who might have the AIW 7500 or know anything about them. I installed this card and right away tried to capture video from my VCR (because I am trying to convert home movies) and the picture that came through is perfect! however, I can't get the sound to work... doesn't even crack or make a fuzzy noise... which makes me wonder where I went wrong. My speakers are turned up, and the volume controls aren't muted or anything.
    I'm connecting through simple rca stereo cables, but have tried a different set just in case one was defective. Internally, I have an audio cable running from the cd out plug on the card to the audio in plug on my motherboard (I have onboard sound). I can hear mp3s, cds and wavs just fine... I just can't hear anything when trying to capture. I have been using the software ATI included, video in (tv).
    The user manual only covers common sense and as far as I know, ati doesn't have an 800 number... I have been all over their website with no luck. I rather see if anybody here has any tips before I go downloading an updated driver because I'd hate to mess up what I have going with the pretty picture coming through... or loose both! I've heard nothing but bad things about ATI's drivers. I'm soooo desperate! Any ideas? My system stats are in my profile but for a brief run through: win98/amd athlon 1800/48GB/384mb ram. I'll keep checking in... any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Heidi
    Usually i am a very happy person, but this card has made my week a living hell... so I'll go with this face>>>
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you connect the line out from your AIW to the line in of your sound card? Also when you ran the wizard for MMC did you select what your line in was? If so then only other thing I can think of is that the connector leading from your video card to your sound card is defective.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    Hi! Thanks for taking the time to respond =) The only connection to my sound card is inside my computer... the manual said to use an audio wire(like the ones that come with internal cd players). So, instead of running from the sound card to the cdrw, I have it running from the sound card to the "cd out" plug on the aiw card. The manual didn't say anything about using mini rca plugs. Their manual sucks though and I wouldn't be surprized if it was just assumed I should know that haha...
    I selected "line in" when I ran the setup. I wondered about that because I almost chose "video". But I thought since it was the sound installation, they must mean inside my computer where the audio wire runs from the aiw to the sound card.
    I am beginning to wonder if it's the card or me!
    Quote Quote  
  4. couple things-
    don't use the ATI's CD-OUT. that's only a pass through from its CD-IN. use LINE-OUT from the ATI and plug it into any of the connectors on the sound card. if you put it in VIDEO on the sound card, choose VIDEO during setup, if you picked CD choose CD. the names don't mean anything (except MIC, which is mono w/ a bias voltage instead of a stereo input...) but AUX, VIDEO, CD-IN, on the sound card all work the same.

you can rerun the setup wizard under "display" in MMC setup to change the input selection.

you can also use control panel-> sound->volume (or double click the yellow taskbar speaker) to control the inputs. you have to do this while MMC is running, because it has its own set of controls, and will revert to what windows had before after you shut it down so that it doesn't interfere with other programs. so while MMC is on, open the volume controls. on the menu go to options -> properties and pick the radio button "recording". make sure the input you used has its box checked (so its volume slider will show up) and hit OK. then check the one you want to record from to enable it, and move the slider to about the second notch from the bottom (this will alleviate the clicking/popping/distortion during recording)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Guest
    thankyou patrickm!! it works! it was that audio wire connected from the aiw to the sound card causing all the problems... thank you so much! to everyone who helped me out with this
    i'm in the best mood now hehe.. have a good week everyone!!!
    heidi
    Quote Quote