VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Guest
    Hi

Hope someone can help me out - I am trying to make a VCD with a regular TDK CDR using a Hewlett Packard CD-Writer Plus 9200 series.

I have followed the online steps kindly given by VCDHELP but they do not work, sadly enough. Obviously, I am going wrong somewhere

I converted the file using most of the software that VCDHELP have provided me with, and I have tried burnig them several times on most of the burning software metioned as well, sacrifising 8 CDR's. Everything works fine when the burning is going on, but when it comes to playing the VCD on my computer or Toshiba 210E DVD player, it comes out all smugdy, with green and red jumbled up sqaures all over the screen - the sound is bad and the picture, well...you just read it

Please , please , please tell me what settings to do and what to use and what type of system configuration I must have and what spec is needed.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just a suggestion... use CD-RW's when testing your VCD's, that way you don't waste any discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We aren't mindreaders, so tell us your method you used to make your vcd, the vcd's specs, and try the vcd on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guest
    Well, this is what I do:

1 - convert them using panasonic, lsx, or tmpg convertor tools.

2 - burn them to cd-r using nero or vcdeasy video-cd software

i follow all the steps for converting and burning shown on this webstie, but the vcd does not [play correctly - the image is there but with terrible sync in sound quality and filled half way with green squares floating around and other colours smudging around the screen, as though someone scrathecd the heck out of my cd

when selecting a vcd burner and attempting to create a vcd, i follow the steps from the website as well as the prgramme help files 100% - where could i be going wrong? - the file plays fine after converting them to vcd using the conversion software, but after burning it, it does not play properlly at all.

Please help me

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try it in another Standalone dvd player and in your computer to see if it works in them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Guest
    I have tried it in my computer as mentioned ealier

It does not come out right

Am I converting it wrong, is it being burnt incorrectly?

What could be the problem

i hope someone can help

Please

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. So far, I haven't heard anybody mention about what is the source? DVD or capture from home movie? what format of the source, what format are you encoding to? and what setting are you using? lastly, what Cd-RW max speed you have, and what speed are you using to burn?

How about lay them all on the table then we'll go from there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Guest
    Okay - this is what I do:

I am having playback problems after burning to CDR and CDRW discs after this process:

1 - I convert the avi to mpeg using tmpg software - and it works fine when playing on my computer, but after burning it to CD, it is very smudgy and blocky - the sound can not be understood becasue it sounds like the speaker is going to blow - the picture is there but the screen keeps moving up and down with different colour blocks and smudgy effects on the screen.

2 - I used Nero Tech software to make a VCD - it came out smudgy with speaker distortion in sound as though the speaker was about to burst, I also tried Ulead Video Studio 6, and the same thing happened - both with CDR and CDRW discs.

PLEASE TELL ME...if I am burning at 8x speed which is 1200 kbp/s, is that the reason for the VCD having playback problems?

What if I burn it using the slowest speed?

Please help me
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK, now we're getting somewhere..
    First, "screen keeps moving up and down with different colour blocks" you said.. my guess? you encode in PAL and your player can't handle, or vice versa. Or something to do with frame size in vertical. BTW, what template are you using in TMPGEnc?

Second, if clip in .mpg play fine on PC (assume VCD complainant 352x240, 29.97fps, 224Khz, @1.15Mb/s), but once it's on player, choppy, blocky, and sound smugdy, or pops.. Yup, 99% I'll say your problem came from cd-rw. 8x burn speed is fine, that is if you have 16x or faster. Try burning at lower speed, and if still comes out smugdy, might conceder getting a new one.

Here's my story, My Syberdrive 36x once is on AMD with 300W power supply, burn at 36x result in crap, at 16x without any problems (VCDeasy only allow 16x highest or max), but when I move this drive over to P4 compaq with 250W power, all I can do is 8x.

Another CD-RW 32x lite-on, this one can do 16x on both box, go figure.. all answers I can come up with are either, power supply or drive power calibration just can't perform as expected at high speed.

Bottom line,
    1) your mpg file may not be complainant
    2) your player can't handle auto detect NTSC/PAL (try change your player to PAL M or other PAL type, you might get a steady but black and white). Or worst.. your player is not complainant as I've found on Samsung and Daiwoo. Need a new one? $69 Mintek.
    3) you need a new cd-rw burner (don't spend unless this become a last option "lite-on" is great)
    4) Try mastering this thing in small clip on RW, don't spend 4 hours to find out you got crap again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Guest
    I really appreciate your reply, but my CD Writer works great for making music CD's, and data CD's.

Only problem is the VCD, which I have tried to do for the first time this week. In fact, I have sacraficed 10 CD's these few days of trying.

Trust me, there is nothing wrong with the CD Writer, or the CD's being used.

You see...after converting the file using TMPG, it plays great, but after burning it to CD using Nero, Ulead, etc... the movie does not play properly, with the side-effects mentioned earlier.

Why does it play on my PC after conversion to mpeg from avi, but not after burning it to CD in attempt to make a VCD out of it. It does not play properly on both, my computer or my stand-alone DVD player.
    However, the picuture is there - the background menu is there, the scene selection I create is there, and so is the intro sequence, but playback is terrible - as though the CD was scrathed by Freddy Kreuger

How do you do it when you want to make a VCD.

My computer spec is:

Pentium III 550
    Windows 98 SE
    128 MB RAM
    Hewlett Packard CD-Writer Plus 9200 series (Multi-Read), (also capable of re-writing)

Any ideas?

Please reply

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. I can do music at 36x take 3 mins, not even 1 hiccup. But If I try the same speeed with generic-mmc-raw driver to burn, what I've got is what you;ve got.

Here's what I can tell.. Music CD read with error correction (treat as data), movie read in raw, meaning that.. if there's going to be some bites or bytes lost along the way, the darn thing going to just keep on reading, and decoder in your player going to say.. Okay.. you got me a bad block to display, I'll show you a bad block on the screen. At least that what I've been told.

"How do you do it when you want to make a VCD" you ask..
    http://vcdhelp.com/pinoy2201sdvdrippinguide.htm
    I personally use smartripper, flask, and VCDeasy.

Here's something I wonder, "However, the picuture is there - the background menu is there, the scene selection I create is there, and so is the intro sequence" where all those came from? how did you manage to make it there? If you can't make VCD to work, please forget background, menu, sequence for now.

Anyway, 20 bucks your problem comes from CD-RW.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Try to burn at 4x. It work for me...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Guest
    Thanks for the reply

In regards to the 20 - I guess I can give you 50% - it doesn't work on both, CDR and CDRW discs - but I am sure my CD-RW is working fine in general, becasue it's great for other things like music and data discs.

Oh, sorry...my mistake - when you said "Bet your problem comes from a CD-RW" - did you mean to say that it's because of using a CD-RW that this problme occurs?

By the way - regarding the link you gave me (thanks for that) - I am only downloading .avi movies like full movies (Scooby Doo, Halloween, Spider-Man, etc...) - my quustion is...if I download the software required on that page of the link you sent me, will it be the best thing to use for creating VCD movies, becasue I only want to maske a VCD, not a DVD, and besides, my avi's and mpeg files are not being taken from DVD - they are just downloaded.

If using Ulead Video Studio 6, which I am quite fond of, even though it never made my VCD just like the other software , will it still work as good as the one in the link you directed me to?

Perhaps you should also know that I have decided to re-do my whole computer. In the next 1 hour I am going to re-instasll everything just the way it was before, so my computer is up and running okay, and becasue I want to take of all the rubbish that's on it - I assume it's because of all the different codecs, downloads and third-party tools, the reason for this problem with my VCD's.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on this..

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  14. "problem comes from CD-RW" what I'm trying to say is.. if you have 32x try bruning @ 16x or 8, or even eruption99 said.. 4, then bumb it up as it goes.

If original file play ok, there's no other reason for file on CD become choppy beside the problem comes from RW at burn time.

Instead of spending few hours redo your OS, let me ask you this? have you tried burning at low speed yet? small clip, start at 1/4 of your burner max capable of. If it still doesn't work then I'll back out for good.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Guest
    I tried it at MAX, 8x, 6x, 4x, 2x, - only 1x to go, but that is too slow, and I can not risk another CD.

If 2z never made a difference, I doubt 1x will.

Anyway, as mentioned ealier, I am setting up my machines again.

Is this a good idea, soperhaps everything will work okay after?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Then don't forget to make sure your drive UDMA is on, forget PIO mode, it's too slow. Here's another thought.. My old Creative cd-RW 8x, you guessed if you think what I'm gonna say is.. "Video comes out blocky, choppy, sound pops at any speed, yup even 2x"
    Quote Quote  
  17. Guest
    You seem as though you know a lot

Cool!

But please tell me what you mean and what to do

Sorry to take up your time
    Quote Quote  
  18. nop not a lot, just have been learned how to do this since Nero came out with VCD option, and I didn't even know vcdhelp.com exist. 10 spindles and all, more than 50CDs just to find out what exactly true VCD is, and what can be changed.

Stock brokerage Sr. programmer/Analyst coding on Unix box using Fortran, C++, sybase, powerbuilder for 15 years. (bahh. I thought you ask "what you do" sorry..

Sorry can't be more help, hey! at least I tried.. becuase I used to walk on exact path you are right now.

UDMA allows data to transfer at highest speed your HHD can handle Vs. default PIO. I was thinking about you might have buffer under run at burn time. To get there..
    Control panel -> system -> hardware -> device Manager -> IDE ATA/ATAPI
    Quote Quote  
  19. Bad batch of media maybe ? I get those freaky green blocks if I try to play a cdr-w on my apex-ad660..Any cd-r ive tried works great, it just dont like rw's..I have the same burner you do, hp 9200 series. I burn everything at 8x and never have any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Guest
    Jess - please would you kindly let me know what process you do to get your VCD's running correctly.

If I have a UDF Reader problem on my system because it's not installed, would that be the cause of the problem?

My CDR's and CD-RW's work fine for music and data, but why not for VCD?

I have tried what you said, by using a CDr disc and then burning it in the HP 9200 series at 8X

It doesn't work

Thanks for your help by the way
    Quote Quote  
  21. Ninja20 - As has already been explained, if the file plays OK on the PC and the burned disk does NOT play, even on the PC, that eliminates all encoding factors as possible sources of the problem. It is the media or the burner, or possibly the burning software (highly unlikely).

VIDEO IS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FILE TYPES. The fact that your media and burner handle music and data ok is TOTALLY MEANINGLESS. There is no error correction for video, so minor errors can cause major problems.

Try two or three (or four) different types and brands of disks. I would bet money you have some bad media. Are you using Verbatim Valuelife disks perhaps? First type I tried, terrible results. 6 or 7 other brands all much better.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Guest
    I have tried, TDK, Phillips, Nashua, Vertanim and Maxell

Some are CDr's, and some are CDrw's

Neither worked for me
    Quote Quote  
  23. Guest
    Originally Posted by Jess
    Bad batch of media maybe ? I get those freaky green blocks if I try to play a cdr-w on my apex-ad660..Any cd-r ive tried works great, it just dont like rw's..I have the same burner you do, hp 9200 series. I burn everything at 8x and never have any problems.
    Jess - you say you use the same as I do, but why does my VCD's not play correctly on my system after burning - it plays fine before burning.

You say you have the same stuff as I do - HP 9200, so what do you do, what codecs do I need, what decompressors do I need, and what settings do you give for making a conversion from avi to mpeg, and what settings do you use for making a VCD.

Please help me

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  24. With all do respect NinJa, don't stuck with one source file, after all that AVI you convert from might just be the source of the problems.

How about lets go back and start from square one..
    Rip the DVD by smartripper like most of us, DVD2AVI like most of us, TMPGEnc like most of us (except me), and VCDeasy like most of us, then burn at low speed like "some of us". Just for the heck.. if you do exactly VCD compliant like all of us (352x240 CBR @ 1.15Mb/s audio @ 224), and if your Video still comes out choppy crap, borrow burner from friend, and try playing on your friend DVD player too. Your burner and/or DVD player just might be broke after all.

Like I said.. 20 bucks still good, if you over 21 beers on me, look me up by the Beverly Hills, got my Email address right?
    PS. Nelson! wanna join us? ..Miller time.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Guest
    You said...

VCD compliant (352x240 CBR @ 1.15Mb/s audio @ 224)

------

Sorry for not understanding, but what is this, where do I go, where do you see it on screen and how to I set these settings?

Lol by the way - nice reply
    Quote Quote  
  26. I think we found the problem...
    Let start here:
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/vcd.htm
    then here:
    http://vcdhelp.com/pinoy2201sdvdrippinguide.htm
    (I like the original one without "3rd Step Ripping The Audio" better)

Like I said from the beginning.. just make the VCD play, then as you wish, add chapter or menu later. Goodluck.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Guest
    You don't know how much I appreciate your time and help, but you are forgetting a few things I mentioned before:

1 - I am not ripping these movies from DVD

2 - I am only downloading movies from the Net (KaZaa Media Desktop)

3 - I have gone through the steps given on this website for Nero, VCDEasy, TMPG (which works fine after convertion), LSX, Ulead Video Studio 6, etc...

4 - I even went to the official sites and third-party sites for information.

5 - I have been using HP 9200 series CD-RW drive, which works fine for other people.

6 - The drive works great for other things.

7 - I have used CDR and CDRW discs, at 1x, 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, and MAX speeds - none of which worked out with good playback for VCD - all I kept on getting was smudgy blocks with green and all sorts of colours on the screen. It was playing the VCD, but it had all those affects on screen - you can't even make out what the screen was showing because the sound was chopping too.

Well, those are the side-affects - hope you can help with this info

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If sdispun solution doesn't work download a vcd sample of this site(make sure you get the right region)and burn it to see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  29. No NinJa, I didn't forget Any of those we talked about. In order to make thing work as it should, we have to know what the heck we're working with. And if you don't know any of what we mention 352x240 1.15mb/s and all those craps things,

....guarantee, you'll never make it work, at least not until 50-100CDs down the toilet. Trust me, know what VCD is first, then where the source come from later, then we all go have beers and laugh like hell a month from now.

Best yet, as Justin said.. download a raw VCD clip then burn to make sure that your burner and DVD player are up to the job.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Guest
    Originally Posted by Mxjshaf69
    If sdispun solution doesn't work download a vcd sample of this site(make sure you get the right region)and burn it to see if that works.
    This is a bin/cue file. If I am using Nero; by going trough the step by step instruction on this site, should I be able to burn it and then watch it as a VCD movie, or will it just burn the Bin/Cue file onto CD.

Don't I have to convert it first in VCDGear, then in TMPG and finally burn it to disk?

Once again, my apologies for not understading.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!