VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to this page and it will help you burn a .bin file. Http://www.vcdhelp.com/burnbin.htm You probably want to download a different program because nero might not work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Ninja20
    Originally Posted by Jess
    Bad batch of media maybe ? I get those freaky green blocks if I try to play a cdr-w on my apex-ad660..Any cd-r ive tried works great, it just dont like rw's..I have the same burner you do, hp 9200 series. I burn everything at 8x and never have any problems.
    Jess - you say you use the same as I do, but why does my VCD's not play correctly on my system after burning - it plays fine before burning.

You say you have the same stuff as I do - HP 9200, so what do you do, what codecs do I need, what decompressors do I need, and what settings do you give for making a conversion from avi to mpeg, and what settings do you use for making a VCD.

Please help me

Thanks
    Ok heres what i do. I load my source file in vdub, usually a divx avi. I save out the audio as a wav, 44hz 16bit stereo. Then using my avi as video source and my wav as audio source i load up the default vcd ntsc template in tmpgenc. When thats finished I have a complient vcd ready mpg which i burn with nero, as a vcd, at 8x...works fine on my apex ad-660.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think nothing's wrong with your burner. I've got an HP 9700i and it works fine. I can burn CDR's and CDRW's of all branches (although the burner goes to 16xSpeed, 8xSpeed is garanteed to be working without problems in my pc-configuration).

You must be sure that you've got a standalone DVD-Video player that garantees to accept CDR's (like the Pioneer players, they all do).

If you capture or rip into AVI, you must be sure to use a codec that gives you the highest possible of quality. If you cannot capture in Interlaced mode (it isn't with all amatueristic cards, like ATI cards etc.) then I suggest you to use a MJPeG codec (like the one from Pegasus - it was free once, but I don't think it is now -- get yourself such one).
    If ripping from DVD, then use a MJPeG codec but keep the interlaced factor (like it is at the source dvd) - do not de-interlace to progressive : this leads only to worse quality (especially at SVCD/DVD, VCD always is non-interlaced/progressive - if the video is interlaced, TMPGenc will auto de-interlace when encoding to VCD).

When encoding to MPeG, I advise you to 'rip' the audio from the avi so you have 2 seperate source files : 1 wav-file (the audio) and 1 avi (without the sound). Pre-encode this wav to MP2 (this works via the default encoder of TMPGenc, otherwise you could user toolAME or SBMPx). Be sure the audio is 44.1 hz (DV and DVD is 48 hz !!).
    Encode the audio to a MP1 layer-2 (=.mp2) in 44.1hz using 224kbits.
    Never use 'mono' !
    Then, in TMPGenc, use a template for encoding to (S)VCD.
    If you're sure your sources are in SVCD or DVD resolution (704x480 NTSC,SVCD - 720x480 NTSC,DVD -- 704x576 PAL/SECAM,SVCD - 720x576 PAL/SECAM,DVD) then use the templates for SVCD (use the default template of TMPGenc) for either PAL or NTSC (whatever the source is -- remember that your audio gets unsynchronised if your source is NTSC and you select a PAL template, and vice-versa)
    Choose for VCD if your intention is to create a VCD and the sources are 352x240/288 (NTSC/PAL).
    When encoding, you let the pre-encoded audio (the mp2-file) mux with the avi to the resulting mpeg.
    Also verify the fps (framerate) of the source. 29.97 is for NTFS, 25 is for PAL/SECAM.

When creating the final (S)VCD, I advise you for a time NOT to use Nero - while Nero might change the internal contents of the MPeG. The best alternative I know is VCDimager, but this one is completely command-line based. To preserve you from knowing all its parameters, you should use one of the "many" GUI's uppon VCDxBuild (VCDwizard, VCDgui, etc.).
    All GUI's of VCDxBuild (VCDimager) are free software and most of them are realy good soft.
    Then you got yourself a cue/bin cd-image, which you may burn with Nero, but the prefered way is via cdrDAO (also FREE and 'the best').

Although many says unix/linux are good operating systems, I must tell you that these os's are not build for video processing, win32 is - so if you've got no win32 (windows98se or better), then install such.

If it still doesn't working, then it might be that you're using one of those templates some people distribute via diverse sites - remember that these templates not necessary are compliant. In most cases they even gives you worse quality, if the intention is to play the (S)VCD at your TV!
    When you're creating SVCD, keep in mind - the higher the bitrate, the better the quality. To have about 45minutes at 1 80min CD the bitrate is approximaly 2180kbits (using CBR at SVCD).
    TMPGenc allows you to encode onto 2520kbit maximum. If you're using this bitrate, be sure that the audio is conform (44.1hz and 224kbit, don't change the bitrate for the audio : it won't work at most standalone players -- is the same with bitrate for the video btw : don't go over the maximum of 2520kbps).
    If encoding using 2-pass in TMPGenc, enable the 'padding'-option.

If you've downloaded a MPeG from the web, it could be possible that you need to re-encode that one (in most cases they use a very high bitrate), I already seen bitrates of 3000kbit and the audio was set to 32hz and 112bit and 8bits : that won't work either, the video plays choppy and the audio is terrible (at the TV).
    Standards for audio btw are 16-bits, Stereo, 44.1hz, 224kbit bitrate.

Normally, you only need to have a fast computer for the capturing, you don't need a fast computer for ripping/encoding/burning (only a lot of patience) while the video/audio already is at the system and will be processed digitally.

I hope you've got something with this...
    good luck
    Quote Quote  
  4. Let's take this in another direcdtion...

First burn at 1x 5 min clip.

Try playing in both CD/DVD as wel in CD-R recorder... do they both have the same problem.

Try different brand cd..different reflexion layer etc. etc.

Try copying VCD back to HDD and see if it's still bad ...

Use MPEG prop (tools section on the bottom) to find out if there is a difference between the final MPEG (fine) and the one from the VCD (bad).

If there is a difference...something must have created that.

If the CD-FIle plays fine on HDD but not from CD, problem lies in MEDIA or writer.

Just cannot be read correctly...maybe CDR laser is dying.

CD file must be same as final fine mpeg...specs i mean.

Let me know what your findings are ?!

Greetz,

Mike.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I will try this again. If your encoded MPG plays OK on the PC, then encoding is fine, although POSSIBLY non-standard. BUT, if the burnt CD does NOT PLAY on the PC, then standards are NOT your problem. The software player on the PC should handle any type of MPG file. Have you tried more than one playback software?

Try this - make a small clip, burn it to CD as a normal data cd, then play that file on the PC both from cd-rom and original from hard drive. These should play nearly identically. If they do not, something is wrong with your burner, media, or burning software. If both play the same, then it is your burning methodology for VCD that is the problem.

Either way, it is NOT your encoding process.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Guest
    Guess what everyone

I have come to a conclusion...

I got really fed-up with the problem, so I simply "dragged and dropped" any mpg/mpeg file to a CD and began the burning process.
    And guess what happen? - without even using any VCD software, the movie AGAIN played the same way it did when I WAS using VCD software (choopy, smudgy, green squares, fuzzy..you name it)

So anyway...I guess you can now see that it was not the software afterall - it's either the CD Burner, the software used to install te CD Burner or it could even be my HDD.

Who knows - either way...it's surely not the VCD software or the CDs being used.

I bet that if I downloaded the same mpg and installed the same software on another machine; only this time with a different CD Burner, it will work out perfectly.
    In fact, my brother is using the same HP 9200 series, and his one works fine for everything so far - he just hasn't tested VCDs yet, but I am certain it will work. And not only that, but I have also replaced my HP 9200 with a Philips CDD2000 and that didn't even COPY correctly, let alone PLAY properly - so I guess you could say that it's the drivers installed as well as the HDD and even the software used for the Burners.

I am just waiting to see it work one day...just one day - it would be such a relief to see a VCD that I made and one that could finally work the way I wish it to.

Thanks for reading and for all of your help with the problem.[/i]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you burn the bin/cue with nero you will have a properly formatted VCD.

One question others have been hinting about but you haven't verified is, are you using the correct VCD template in TMPGenc? What player are you using on your PC to view it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Guest
    Hi

I explained that whatever the problem is...it's not the cause of the software or the CDs being used or even the way I converted files into VCD.

No disrespect, but did you not read my last post?

Anyway, I'll be glad to answer...

I am going through the same process as described on this website. - Using different makes of CDRs and CDRWs - nothing worked.

As mentioned in my last post...even when copying a simple mpeg file to disk wihtout making it a VCD (just drag & drop) it still played the same way - in other words...choppy, smudgy, blocky.

And that's what the problem was - I can burn audio perfectly to make a music CD, but when it comes to burning data or adding a video file to CD - they won't open or the video won't play correcty (it will play, but the same as it did when attempting to burn a VCD - very choppy and smudgy)

call me stupid, but what do u mean by template - i know what a template is in general terms- but do you mean if i m using VCD, DVD, video capture mode - that kind of thing?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I've been reading in this thread, your problem is either the encoding or the media/burning process.

When using TMPGenc, a template is normally selected to make all the settings. If you select the VCD (NTSC/NTSCfilm/PAL, whichever is appropriate), then your MPG file will be in spec for VCDs. If you are not using a template or correctly setting the various options, then this could be your problem.

As for the media/burning, others have already said that burning videos (VCD/SVCD/CVD) is COMPLETELY different than data or music. With data or music CD's there is error correction built into the burning process. With video, the data is burned in a raw format. If this data gets burned corrupt, you will see problems such as you described.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Guest
    Regarding the VCD Templates - I have done all that - I know how to use it 100%

Coming back to the Burning process of data and VCD - you are right.

But I am sure that if I were to use this mpeg and software to make a VCD on another PC, it would work fine - dont forget...the same, terrible playback occured even when copying just the mpeg to CD - that's wihtout making a Video-CD.

So in other words, the problem is not occuring because of the way I make a VCD or the encoding system - there must be something wrong with my hardware or CD-Writer software...not the VCD software or the CD being used.

I know it's not worth buying a new computer or replacing the components I have now just for the sake of a mere Video CD, but it would be nice to make one and being able to enjoy watching it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Let me get this straight - After encoding the MPG file, it plays fine from the HD, but if you burn it to a data disc (NOT using packet-writing software), and then copy it back to the HD it will have problems?

This is really weird...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Guest
    I know it sounds weird and I congratulate you on what you have understood so far - you almost had it

Ok, here it is...

I have an AVI file that works perfectly on the HD

I converted it to MPEG to make a VCD

After conversion, the MPEG plays better than the AVI because its enhanced for Video CD - I used TMPGenc to convert the AVI to MPEG and it played perfectly.

I then used Nero, Ulead Video Studio, and some other tools to make it a Video CD, using both CDR and CDRW discs.

After burn was succesful (so it said ), I tried opening it on both my computer and my DVD player, which is a Toshiba 210E, and it is also VCD compatible.

The movie was showing, but with blocky, smudgy and very choppy resolution - the audio sounded like the CD was scracthed - the video looked the same way Sky Digital channels look when there is bad weather (really bad weather )

This is the problem

Hope you understand what the situation is now

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. Guest
    Oh yeah - the MPEG file playback is the same, even when putting it on CD wihtout any Video CD software - as mentioned previously...it plays horrible without doing anything to the file

In other words...the burner has a problem or perhaps its my computer
    But I am certain that encoding is not the fault, nor is the VCD software.
    Quote Quote  
  14. NINJA20, now you've got it! One more test, copy the MPG file back from the CD to the HDD and play the copied file. Should play like crap, meaning file did not burn correctly. If the CD to HDD copy plays OK, then it is CD playback only and burn was good.

Have you tried BOTH DMA settings, UDMA cable (fine wires), double check all cable connections, different power cable, remove ALL cd software and re-install only new drivers? Second drive having problems points to some CD-specific problem yet in the system not the drive. Can you install your HP drive in your brother's machine and burn an MPG to test? If verified good, then its one of the things listed above, although possible flaky IDE controller on Mainboard as well.

Have you done a virus check?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Guest
    Virus check - complete

Copy file from CD to HD - complete

Regarding wirering (is that how it's spelt? ) - anyway - all wires are connected 100%
    Everything else seems to burn okay so I am sure the wires are okay, as well.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Did the CD to HD copy play OK or Crappy? If crappy, burner has a problem 90% certainty, though could still be UDMA cable or IDE interface problem. Have you physically removed and replaced the interface and power cables? This not only confirms the connection is solid, but has a cleaning effect on the contacts.

If OK, it would be highly unusual to burn OK and playback bad, but possible. Check for firmware update. Are you using the same software to playback from the CD as form the HDD?

As regards your last comment, have you not been listening? If your car drives fine at 20MPH does that mean it will run fine at 120MPH ? MANY things which will not cause problems at minimal usage levels can become great problems during more intensive tasks.

The fact that you have problems with 2 different players points at something in your system. Take one or both of those drives to another machine. If you can verify that EITHER of them will burn and playback a video file, then the problem lies in your system, OUTSIDE of the CD. Drivers, cables, IDE interface, DMA settings, somewhere in there.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Guest
    I couldn't agree more

Regarding the CD to HD idea - I have tried that twice, but the media on the CD always had bad playback anyway, so it's no wonder why I got the same response when copying it to the HD.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Guest
    Hopefully my brother will use his version of the HP 9200 - if it works on his system using his burner, then the problem lies in my system - if however, he decided to take MY version of the HP 9200 and installed it in HIS computer, then the problem would lie in the Burner itself.

Either way...it's a hell of a lot of work - not only is it toom uch of a hastle having to change drives, but it ruins the motherboard as well.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Put the two machines side-by-side and swapping drives takes 5 minutes. Your comment on the motherboard is not only completely untrue, but leads me to strongly suspect you are TROLLING.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Guest
    TROLLING?

What do you mean by that?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When burning with Nero, have you tried having it "verify" at the end of the burn, to see if what's on the disc matches the original file. With what you've said so far, it sounds like the data is being corrupted (sp?/word?) on the way to the burner, which could either be internal to the burner or cabling (as Nelson37 suggested).
    Quote Quote  
  22. Ok what version of Nero are you using I have the 9150b and 9500 series of HP burners and if I go above NERO 5.5.7.1 I have all types of problems, SVCD's are not even reconized if I use a version above 5571. I actually have the best luck on both burners with version 5564. Just something you might try, also make sure DMA is on the burner, I had the worse time getting the 9500 to work correctly until I turned on the DMA.
    Have you thought about downloading a MPEG1 clip from a site thats VCD ready and try burning to see if you have problems with that.
    Have you tried to burn your MPEG onto a disc as data and give it to a friend to try to burn on their player as a VCD to see how it comes out.
    Just throwing some stuff out there.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Guest
    You asked:
    Have you thought about downloading a MPEG1 clip from a site thats VCD ready and try burning to see if you have problems with that

Answer:
    I have done the above already, using a file downloaded from this very site

You asked:
    Have you tried to burn your MPEG onto a disc as data and give it to a friend to try to burn on their player as a VCD to see how it comes out.

My annswer:
    Yes, but instead of a friend, I simply asked my brother to do that, but the media on the CD played just as bad as when I made a VCD with the same MPEG.

Please read previous posts of mine.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Trolling is the act of throwing out ridiculous, untrue, and/or controversial statements in order to provoke a response.

Who the hell told you that swapping cd drives ruins the motherboard? Based on what theory? TAKE NO MORE ADVICE FROM THAT INDIVIDUAL.

Try a different burning software and/or have someone who knows what they're doing check out your machine. You should have your answer within an hour.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Guest
    How can you speak in such a way!

With all due respect, it does seem like you are trying to unsult the person who gave me the infomation, where that person is my brother and someone who has won awards for being the top Computer Engineer in several firms.

If you don't mind, I would appreciate an apology, since it hurts my feelings a lot more than it would hurt his - nobody, and I mean NOBODY speaks of my family that way - However, I wouls still prefer to keep friendship between us and from here on...

THANK YOU

no prejudice meant from the above statement
    Quote Quote  
  26. First of all, nobody insulted anyone let alone family except to say that it's a pile of crap (which it is). If you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING drives can be changed extremely easy without damaging anything. As for the source of your problems, at this point its pretty clear that the problem is your cd-rw drive. Regardless of whether other HP9200's work. Ever heard of a defective drive?

Whether you want to acknowledge the problem, do something to test it, do something to fix it (replace the drive) is entirely up to you and frankly I don't care if you ever get it working, it aint my problem.

For the record, pull the IDE cable from a connected drive and temporarily put it into your broken cd-rw and you never have to touch the motherboard. Ask your brother to explain to you how that damages the motherboard. Try not to be rude to people that are trying to help you, they may just decide not to help you.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Guest
    Look Bel...I am not trying to be rude to anyone, so why do you get the idea that I am - obviously, nobody is willing to help those that are rude, but that's beside the point - I am not acting polite becasue I need some help with a problem; I act polite b/c that's the way I am.

And more to it...if you direct your attention to a few posts back (my posts), you will notice that I already agreed with you about the drive being the fault of it all

Without prejudice - you should read replies before making one of your own before jumping to conclusion - I DID say that I want to be friends on here, so please don't make me look like the enemy.

I already confirmed it being the drive defect so why is poeple replying back giving me new info when the info given was already stated in my own post.

I am agreeing to the fact that it could be one of the above problems - please don't get the idea that I am being rude.

Hope everything is cleared up bro

PS - Even if it's not YOUR problem about the drive not working, I still wouldn't make a remark such as, "I don't care", as you just did - if I took it the wrong way, then I apologise, but please don't speak that way - the problem may not be yours, but it does not give you a right to speak in that tone...if you are here to help, then don't say you don't care.
    I thought I would see if it will work in another computer first, so why is there more replies - poeple have betteer things to do than making VCDs all day, you know? 8) ("Please give me time to check guys")
    Once again...if I took your words the wrong way, I apologise, but please speak freely; only not too much

Nice chatting with everyone

I would like to thank you all for being here with me and your advice has helped a lot

Bel...Nelson37 - I hope there's no hard feelings dudes

Peace!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Great to hear that you are getting the problem solved.

However, I will repeat and emphasize my comment. If someone has told you that swapping a cd drive ruins the motherboard, they are not qualified to work on hardware, and I personally would advise ignoring any further advice from such a person. It is not only that the statement is inaccurate, but so totally false as to be laughable. Outside of seating the IDE cable with a ball-peen hammer, it is damn near impossible to ruin a MOBO by swapping a CD drive. I'll change that - outside of pushing the cable in so hard that you crack the motherboard, or maybe connecting the drive while it is submerged in a bucket of water, it is NOT POSSIBLE to ruin a motherboard by installing a CD drive. Note that I did not say "highly unlikely", I said, and meant, "not possible". Even the bucket of water would more likely pop the power supply than damage the board.
    That is the absolute truth, I do not intend to insult, but I will not deny the truth to spare someone's possible hurt feelings.

I've been fixing PC's for a living for 12 years. You are free to listen to or ignore whatever and whomever you please.

As a side note, a PC TECHNICIAN and a COMPUTER ENGINEER are two entirely different things.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Guest
    Why do you not care about hurting my feelings

Does my previous message not mean anything to you

I wish to keep peace, not prolong the situation - please can we just drop who said what and just be friends - is that okay

PS - About the motherboard - I was refering to the installation inside the computer where the wires connect to the board from the burner itself - if you change it too many time it can where out the connections - this is what I was talking about all this time

anyway, I hope we can drop the issue

:P :P :P
    Quote Quote  
  30. Guest
    Nelson - - -

PS - You are coorect on your part as I am on mine

50 - 50

Hope that's cool :P
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!