VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I don't clean the heads on my VCR, the videos I'm capturing from it will not be as good as they could.

So.....is a wet type head cleaning system better than a dry type cleaner? Or not?

please let me know if you've know, please
    Quote Quote  
  2. Neither in a way. It is better to use contact cleaner (see your local electronics store) and a new VHS tape. Make sure the cleaner is
    suitable for electronics..non conductive non residual etc
    Open up unit, spray on head. Power unit on immediately and load
    tape. Tape will stick on the head slightly but do not panic. Eject tape
    and repeat a couple of times. All should be clean and there is no risk
    to the head (recratching)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Wet cleaning is best. Dry cleaning tapes are little better than sand paper!

Normally I would clean the head drum manually using Isopropol alcohol, but you need to know what you are doing, otherwise you end up buying a new head drum!
    Quote Quote  
  4. No cleaning tape....both are bad....use a head cleaning spray... you can use this proy on cotton on audio heads and rubbers, but not on the drum ! The space for the acual heads is too small to clean with tools...a tape only cleans the meganism and the drum as wel as the surface of the heads... but in general...don't use them.

Spray is your best choice..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys
    Quote Quote  
  6. Neither, a tech at a electronics shop told me this years ago and it works.

Take a brand new VHS tape and let it play through once. Cleans the heads quite well, I had a VCR I thoguht was bad , ran a new tape through and its fine.

wz
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is true too. However to get rid of all the gunk it's best to get some alcohol around the drum!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by energy80s
    Wet cleaning is best. Dry cleaning tapes are little better than sand paper!

Normally I would clean the head drum manually using Isopropol alcohol, but you need to know what you are doing, otherwise you end up buying a new head drum!
    As above, Used while the head is spinning and some cotton bud's or wool, try to avoid electrocution by touching the power supply
    Quote Quote